PDA

View Full Version : Record Fall In Number Of Public Sector Jobs



Salahudeen
09-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Things aren't looking too bright on the job front :hmm:


Britain's public sector shed 111,000 jobs in the three months to the end of July - the biggest quarterly fall since records began in 1999

The figures were contained within a bulletin from the Office for National Statistics, which showed the number of unemployed Britons rose by 80,000 over the period.
It was the biggest jump in unemployment for nearly two years - and came in above forecasts.
David Cameron conceded, during Prime Minister's Questions, that the figures were disappointing and that every job lost was a "tragedy".
There was particularly bad news for Britain's young people, as the number of unemployed 18 to 24-year-olds surged by 77,000 to 769,000 in the last quarter.
According to the ONS, it was the first time growth in the private sector had not offset the decrease in public sector employment on a quarterly basis since autumn 2010.

The number of people out of a job in the UK now stands at 2.51 million - or 7.9% of the working-age population.
"Clearly I regret job losses in the public sector. I wish this didn't have to happen," the employment minister Chris Grayling told Sky News.
"I think the surge in this particular quarter has happened because it's the end of the financial year and this is a result of decisions that were taken at local authority level and in other agencies in the run-up to the end of the financial year in April."

The ONS said that compared with the previous year, there was a decrease of 240,000 (3.8%) in public sector employment.

The largest decrease was in local government (145,000; 5.0%), followed by central government, which decreased by 66,000 (2.3%).
The TUC's general cecretary Brendan Barber described the numbers from the ONS as "terrible".

"They are further evidence that the recovery has been choked off by a self-defeating rush to austerity," he claimed.
"The public sector is shedding jobs more than twice as fast as the private sector can create new ones, and with the increasingly gloomy outlook for the economy as a whole the outlook for jobs is as bad as at any time since the height of the recession."

A new report from the think-tank IPPR claims the public sector has been filling in for insufficient private sector job creation over the last 20 years, a trend which will have to be reversed because of the Government's spending cuts.

http://news.sky.com/home/business/article/16069187
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GuestFellow
09-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Not surprised. The worse has yet to come. O_o
Reply

joyous fairy
09-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Aw this is sad to see. Im in a similar situation :(

Me and a lot of my friends who have graduated are looking for work and there dont seem to be many out there. The ones I do apply for want lots of experience and dont care about degrees! A couple of times I've been asked by employers what I would do with that degree and wont give me a job because they think I'll move onto a better job first chance I get :|
Reply

GuestFellow
09-15-2011, 09:45 PM
^ Salaam,

Just say you found studying towards the degree boring and you are not interested in that field. Most degrees (especially social sciences) are not that useful in terms of giving you practicable work skills but it does demonstrate strong academic skills, the ability to work long and hard, remaining calm under pressure like during exams, etc.

Make use of your personal experiences and blow them out of proportion during interviews lol.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
joyous fairy
09-15-2011, 09:55 PM
^ lol, good idea.

And :O how did you know I did something to do with social sciences? Is it just us that are stuck with no jobs? Lol :P

once in an interview for a call centre job I said I did the degree out of interest more than anything else! Wrong move I think?
Reply

GuestFellow
09-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by joyous fairy
^ lol, good idea.

And :O how did you know I did something to do with social sciences? Is it just us that are stuck with no jobs? Lol :P
Well not necessarily. People with degrees in law, science, accounting and business are struggling too. Degrees in social sciences are useful for personal enrichment (which should not be underestimated) but to translate what you have learnt into practice can be difficult. Degrees are not necessarily designed to help you get a job. Experience is highly desirable now. You must have developed good writing/research/analytical skills.

I have been looking for a job nearly a year now and I have learnt a lot about job hunting. If you need more help, PM me...

once in an interview for a call centre job I said I did the degree out of interest more than anything else! Wrong move I think?
Yes it was a wrong move IMO. They might think you'll leave as soon as you get the experience and a job comes which is related to your degree.

I personally will not tolerate stupid interview questions. I would rather be homeless than put up with rude/stupid employers. One employer came late (30 minutes), talking on his mobile phone during the interview, complained that he was tired and was chewing gum...I was in an extremely foul mood that day. He thought I was an individual desperate for a job. One really stupid question he asked me...what would you do if your head is stuck in a crocodile's mouth? I said...what on Earth has that got to do with the job? He was stunned. I then said...what would you do if your head was stuck up a baboon's ****. I just left the office.

...Okay don't insult rude employers like I did (even though it is so tempting and seeing the stupid expression on their face is absolutely hilarious), but if they ask you stupid/illegal questions, ask them what has that got to do with the job.

One of the main reason why I haven't got a job is because...my attitude. I cannot tolerate rude/dumb/fake employers (so MANY of them now ). Ugh...I need a glass of water.
Reply

Salahudeen
09-16-2011, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by joyous fairy
Aw this is sad to see. Im in a similar situation :(

Me and a lot of my friends who have graduated are looking for work and there dont seem to be many out there. The ones I do apply for want lots of experience and dont care about degrees! A couple of times I've been asked by employers what I would do with that degree and wont give me a job because they think I'll move onto a better job first chance I get :|
I'll be in the same position as you sis in 1 more year, :heated: too much supply not enough demand :heated:
Reply

Salahudeen
09-16-2011, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
^ Salaam,

Just say you found studying towards the degree boring and you are not interested in that field. Most degrees (especially social sciences) are not that useful in terms of giving you practicable work skills but it does demonstrate strong academic skills, the ability to work long and hard, remaining calm under pressure like during exams, etc.

Make use of your personal experiences and blow them out of proportion during interviews lol.
You've been looking for a year? imsad what kind of jobs have you targeted?
Reply

ardianto
09-16-2011, 07:06 AM
Are there companies in your place that need freelance salesmen ?.
Reply

GuestFellow
09-16-2011, 07:59 AM
[QUOTE=Salahudeen;1464281]You've been looking for a year? imsad what kind of jobs have you targeted?[QUOTE]

Administrative, customer service and sales...
Reply

Salahudeen
09-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Are there companies in your place that need freelance salesmen ?.
Yeah but you only get paid if you make a sale, and most of the time people don't want to know, for example you go knocking on peoples doors trying to sell but when people see sales person they don't even bother to open the door. It's hard to make a sale even because many people don't have job so that means they don't want to spend their money, when times are good and people are spending then it would be easier maybe.
Reply

ardianto
09-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Salahudeen
Yeah but you only get paid if you make a sale, and most of the time people don't want to know, for example you go knocking on peoples doors trying to sell but when people see sales person they don't even bother to open the door. It's hard to make a sale even because many people don't have job so that means they don't want to spend their money, when times are good and people are spending then it would be easier maybe.
Is it hard to work as freelance salesman ?.

Of course !. Yes I know it. I was a freelance salesman in few companies. And believe it or not, in those companies I was the only salesman who had experience as company president. :D

That was a time when I tried to raise again after I fell into bankruptcy. I walked from door to door, or traveling around the city on my motorcycle (my last car had been sold for fulfill my family needs). It's hard. I was familiar with "I don't want to buy". But I did not give up because I believe, if I never give up I would get a brighter future.

People around me were questioning why I worked as freelance salesman ?. But I had reason. I could not stay at home and expect a miracle. I had baby and wife. I must work. Try to get something is better than don't do anything and get nothing.

Also, if I work, my ability in working would always in prime condition. Same like athlete who always make practice when they are not in the competition. And if I am always in my prime condition, I will ready when opportunity comes to me.

Finally in 2002, something offered a courier agent. I borrowed money from my sister to buy it. Alhamdulillah, I could manage it well and could improve the income. Now I can fulfill my family needs. Honestly, my experience as freelance salesman really help me to gain the brighter future.

Brother, maybe you will try to work as salesman too, while wait a company that will call you ?. At least it's still better than only wait at home. Working experience would be very useful to improve your working skill, and very useful to add point in your CV.
Reply

joyous fairy
09-16-2011, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by Tragic Typos

I have been looking for a job nearly a year now and I have learnt a lot about job hunting. If you need more help, PM me...

I personally will not tolerate stupid interview questions. I would rather be homeless than put up with rude/stupid employers. One employer came late (30 minutes), talking on his mobile phone during the interview, complained that he was tired and was chewing gum...I was in an extremely foul mood that day. He thought I was an individual desperate for a job. One really stupid question he asked me...what would you do if your head is stuck in a crocodile's mouth? I said...what on Earth has that got to do with the job? He was stunned. I then said...what would you do if your head was stuck up a baboon's ****. I just left the office.

...Okay don't insult rude employers like I did (even though it is so tempting and seeing the stupid expression on their face is absolutely hilarious), but if they ask you stupid/illegal questions, ask them what has that got to do with the job.

One of the main reason why I haven't got a job is because...my attitude. I cannot tolerate rude/dumb/fake employers (so MANY of them now ). Ugh...I need a glass of water.
I have also been looking for nearly a year, but not properly. I havent looked for a proper graduate job and I started doing a teaching course because I wasnt getting anywhere with the job search. JazakAllah khair, Ill PM a few issues that I have with the situation Im in.

Lol, good response, although it would not help getting the job at all! Emplyers..tell me about them! They are so annoying sometimes. I had an interview quite recently for this company thats really popular around here. Ive had interviews with them before and they never call back to tell you whether you got the job. But with the recent interview I turned uo 10 minutes late and the woman said she couldnt interview me cos I was late! This annoyed me cos everytime Ive been there theyve made me wait at least an hour before actually interviewing me. I was gonna say that to her but I was too annoyed to speak so I just left!

I cant believe these kind of employers, they treat you so bad but if you do one thing wrong they hold it against you.

lol, I need a glass of water too now :P.
Reply

joyous fairy
09-16-2011, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Salahudeen
I'll be in the same position as you sis in 1 more year, :heated: too much supply not enough demand :heated:
Ah, dont worry, inshaAllah you'll be able to find one quicker than me. I find that guys are better at finding work than girls, well at least the ones I know.

Try and get as much experience now as possible, do voluntary work if you cant find a part time job while at uni. It'll help a lot inshaAllah.
Reply

ardianto
09-17-2011, 11:14 AM
@ all young brothers who still looking for a job.


Sometime I found fresh graduated young men who were looking for a job.

I asked them "What is your activity when you are waiting for companies who will call you ?"
"Stay at home"
"Why don't you work as freelance worker ?. There are many companies that need freelance worker. Or why don't you work voluntary in your relatives or friend companies ?.
"What would I get from work as freelance worker or work voluntary ?. Maybe I can get money, but must be in small amount. I don't want to spend my time for it".

Let me tell the truth, this is the Wrong Thought

Okay, if you work as freelance worker or work voluntary maybe you will not get enough money. But look, what you will get if you work like this.

- Your working ability always in prime condition because you always train your working ability.

- New useful experience that will increase your "working knowledge".

- This job will be plus point in your CV. Remember, the job interviewer will ask your activities since you were finish your school until now. If you say your activity is stay at home, the interviewer will regard you as lazy man. But if you can show you work although only as freelancer or volunteer, the interviewer will classify you as person who have motivation to work.

- When small companies need workers, usually they do not put ad in newspaper, but request some people to find workers for them. Those people maybe your friends or relatives. And those people will not recommend a job seeker who only stay at home, but they will recommend those who already work or have experience in working. And work in small companies can be a bridge to work in bigger companies.

So, will you stay at home and post many complains in forum ?, or you will start an action to gain the brighter future ?.

Is it hard ? ......... No Pain, No Gain !
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!