PDA

View Full Version : Do you know Arabic?

*Yasmin*
09-17-2011, 05:56 AM
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Do you know Arabic ?
Are you learning Arabic?
For How long have you been learning it?
What are the challenges you have been facing ?

It would be nice if you could share with us Your Experience with Arabic Language :)
new students might learn from you :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salahudeen
09-17-2011, 08:57 AM
I don't know arabic, I started learning but it became too much along side uni. la ma behki arabi, behki englisi what does this mean again? :hmm:

Amat Allah
09-17-2011, 12:13 PM
I do speak Arabic cause I am from Arabs...

format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
la ma behki arabi, behki englisi
Humbly, the translation is:

No, I don`t speak Arabic, I speak in english.

and that language above is not in classical Arabic (The Arabic language of Qur`aan), but the dialects and accents of the people of Sham (Palestine, Syria, Jordan and Lebanon).

Pure Purple
09-17-2011, 12:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *Yasmin*
Do you know Arabic ?
Are you learning Arabic?
No I don't know but I started learning..

ummmmmm around 2 months...but not continiously.I missed in between I was busy
Till now I don't find any difficulty but i know it is very difficult when I will be going to learn into deep.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Salahudeen
09-17-2011, 12:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amat Allah
I do speak Arabic cause I am from Arabs...

Humbly, the translation is:

No, I don`t speak Arabic, I speak in english.

and that language above is not in classical Arabic (The Arabic language of Qur`aan), but the dialects and accents of the people of Sham (Palestine, Syria, Jordan and Lebanon).
ah I see jazakAllah khair, Yeah I had a cd that taught modern arabic, the thing about Qur'anic arabic (fus'ha) is no one speaks it I heard, is that true? so if you learnt fus'ha and went to the arab countries you would have a hard time understanding them, but the great advantage of learning fus'ha is that you can understand qur'an and when you're standing for prayer you can understand the recitation of the imaam and become reduced to tears

Ghazalah
09-17-2011, 01:45 PM
I speak Arabic as I'm originally Arab..

For those who really want to learn it, move to an Arab country and learn it there, you will find yourself surrounded by the language and soon you'll be talking it too :D for most people this will be difficult, so I advise a personal tutor, who can solely focus on you it'll help very much inshAllah.

Salahudeen
09-17-2011, 02:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazalah
I speak Arabic as I'm originally Arab..

For those who really want to learn it, move to an Arab country and learn it there, you will find yourself surrounded by the language and soon you'll be talking it too :D for most people this will be difficult, so I advise a personal tutor, who can solely focus on you it'll help very much inshAllah.
You know fus'ha? :p

Ghazalah
09-17-2011, 04:04 PM
You know fus'ha?
I understand it and can speak it if need be, but I'm no expert in it.

*Yasmin*
09-17-2011, 05:08 PM
ah I see jazakAllah khair, Yeah I had a cd that taught modern arabic, the thing about Qur'anic arabic (fus'ha) is no one speaks it I heard, is that true? so if you learnt fus'ha and went to the arab countries you would have a hard time understanding them, but the great advantage of learning fus'ha is that you can understand qur'an and when you're standing for prayer you can understand the recitation of the imaam and become reduced to tears
The Qur'anic Arabic is the highest form of classical Arabic.
and the fus7a that we Arab can speak these days can't reach the Qur'anic Arabic.
Arabs can understand fus7a, and it can differ from person to another according his educational level. when i was about 14 and started to be interested in deen books i remember i was looking a lot into a dictionary (Arabic - Arabic) because there were very classical words which Arabs don't see often. unless he/she is "educated" in one way or another.

fus7a is used in texts, books, news, historical movies/series, poetry.... but as a daily spoken language we don't use fus7a usually.

if you went to Arab countries, you can ask them to speak fus7a with you... they won't mind =)

noorseeker
09-17-2011, 05:58 PM
so Whats Fusha

*Yasmin*
09-17-2011, 06:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noorseeker
so Whats Fusha
fus7a/fusha means classical Arabic.

*Yasmin*
09-17-2011, 06:07 PM
and the Quranic Arabic is the highest form of the classical Arabic.

Who Am I?
09-17-2011, 06:09 PM
:sl:

The only Arabic I know is from the Qur'an. I can understand some of it when it is recited now.

But I still can't read it. It's still squiggly lines to me.

Amat Allah
09-17-2011, 06:12 PM
May Allah bless ya habibati Yasmeenah Al 3asal for the info you typed above Ameeeeeeen

Salahudeen
09-17-2011, 06:15 PM
I understand it and can speak it if need be, but I'm no expert in it.
That means you can understand Qur'an? how blessed you are. mashaAllah.

Salahudeen
09-17-2011, 06:17 PM

The Qur'anic Arabic is the highest form of classical Arabic.
and the fus7a that we Arab can speak these days can't reach the Qur'anic Arabic.
Arabs can understand fus7a, and it can differ from person to another according his educational level. when i was about 14 and started to be interested in deen books i remember i was looking a lot into a dictionary (Arabic - Arabic) because there were very classical words which Arabs don't see often. unless he/she is "educated" in one way or another.

fus7a is used in texts, books, news, historical movies/series, poetry.... but as a daily spoken language we don't use fus7a usually.

if you went to Arab countries, you can ask them to speak fus7a with you... they won't mind =)
Why don't you start a Fus'ha thread? :p

*Yasmin*
09-17-2011, 06:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by King of Nines

The only Arabic I know is from the Qur'an. I can understand some of it when it is recited now.

But I still can't read it. It's still squiggly lines to me.
that's great.. step by step you will eventually grasp all the meanings in sha' Allah.

have you finished learning the Alphabet? and do you know how to read and write them down?

*Yasmin*
09-17-2011, 06:23 PM
May Allah bless ya habibati Yasmeenah Al 3asal for the info you typed above Ameeeeeeen
Ameen :) may Allah bless you too ya 3asoooooooool ^^ ;)

Why don't you start a Fus'ha thread? :p
hhmm about what? :><: .. do you have any idea ?

Salahudeen
09-17-2011, 06:25 PM

Ameen :) may Allah bless you too ya 3asoooooooool ^^ ;)

hhmm about what? :><: .. do you have any idea ?
hmm every day language, and a list of vocab words to memorize, actually I think there's a website like that but it only focuses on Quranic words. Never mind I'll try find the website :p

*Yasmin*
09-17-2011, 06:30 PM
hmm every day language, and a list of vocab words to memorize, actually I think there's a website like that but it only focuses on Quranic words. Never mind I'll try find the website :p
hmmm i'll try to think about something else in sha' Allah ... meanwhile my battery is low i'm about to sleep over the keyboard ^^' ............

if you get any other idea later .. please share it may Allah reward you.

Amat Allah
09-17-2011, 06:31 PM
I have an Idea Yasmeenati Al Ghaaliyah but now my time is up , in shaa Allah tomorrwo will post it here and see if others will like it or not ...

take care my precious brothers and sisters

love ya all for the sake of Allah <3

*Yasmin*
09-17-2011, 06:36 PM
^ i'm curious about it ........ will see in sha' Allah :)

take care ya ghalyahhh =)
salamat <3

Ghazalah
09-17-2011, 09:28 PM
hmm every day language, and a list of vocab words to memorize, actually I think there's a website like that but it only focuses on Quranic words. Never mind I'll try find the website
http://www.80percentwords.com/

This website posted by sis Muslim Woman is very good for knowing the meanings of fusa7 words, mostly in the Quran.

Salahudeen
09-17-2011, 09:29 PM
http://www.80percentwords.com/

This website posted by sis Muslim Woman is very good for knowing the meanings of fusa7 words, mostly in the Quran.
JZK khair thank you very much, ta, :D

Who Am I?
09-18-2011, 04:04 AM

that's great.. step by step you will eventually grasp all the meanings in sha' Allah.

have you finished learning the Alphabet? and do you know how to read and write them down?

I know a couple of letters. I have an Arabic dictionary that I look through from time to time but I am not taking any formal classes right now. I probably need to though.

Nate
09-18-2011, 04:22 AM
I dont speak it "yet"
Im trying to learn have been for 10 years LOL
I use Rosetta Stone I just got it reinstalled and been using it lately for the last couple months, I can tell when listing to arab speakers I am slowly picking up words here and there, but still have a problem speaking

Tyrion
09-18-2011, 04:36 AM
I've been studying Arabic in University for a little over a year now, and I'm in my third semester of Arabic classes. :p:

Amat Allah
09-18-2011, 05:24 AM
I don`t know if you would like this game but I`ll tell ya what it is in short and later will explaine it:

its name is:
Are your brains gears rusty? oil them here !

this game has five levels:

level one: Check your info

level two: Hidden objects

level three: Around the world

level four: Amat`s Box

level five: An Ayah and Tafseer (this is the part where you will learn Arabic in shaa Allah)

it has levels to not concentrate on one thing and make it boring...

what do you think? want me to explain more for ya?

*Yasmin*
09-18-2011, 06:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by King of Nines

I know a couple of letters. I have an Arabic dictionary that I look through from time to time but I am not taking any formal classes right now. I probably need to though.
the least you can do meanwhile is learning all the letters. even without taking any formal class.
wish you the best.

format_quote Originally Posted by Nate
I dont speak it "yet"
Im trying to learn have been for 10 years LOL
I use Rosetta Stone I just got it reinstalled and been using it lately for the last couple months, I can tell when listing to arab speakers I am slowly picking up words here and there, but still have a problem speaking
10 years learning.. wow ^^
to speak arabic you need to communicate with arabs around you.
my turkish friend understands fus7a, but when it comes to speaking she finds it very difficult coz there are no arabs around her...

format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
I've been studying Arabic in University for a little over a year now, and I'm in my third semester of Arabic classes. :p:
that's awesome mashallah. good luck...
after you finish your degree you may teach the brothers here =)

I don`t know if you would like this game but I`ll tell ya what it is in short and later will explaine it:

its name is:

level five: An Ayah and Tafseer (this is the part where you will learn Arabic in shaa Allah)

it sounds interesting... but i can't understand it ^^ .. could you elaborate or give an example ?

Nate
09-18-2011, 07:16 AM
thats been my problem no other talkers here, atleast that I know

*Yasmin*
09-18-2011, 07:24 AM
^ there must be any one around i think.. maybe you can find in a local masjid or islamic center i don't know .. :unsure:

Nate
09-18-2011, 07:31 AM
yea I visited my local IC the other day and they have classes there

Salahudeen
09-18-2011, 10:10 AM

its name is:

Sounds interesting, explain more please

Amat Allah
09-18-2011, 11:49 AM
http://www.islamicboard.com/puzzles-...ml#post1464908

Insaanah
09-19-2011, 08:38 PM

the thing about Qur'anic arabic (fus'ha) is no one speaks it I heard, is that true? so if you learnt fus'ha and went to the arab countries you would have a hard time understanding them, but the great advantage of learning fus'ha is that you can understand qur'an and when you're standing for prayer you can understand the recitation of the imaam and become reduced to tears
For those who really want to learn it, move to an Arab country and learn it there, you will find yourself surrounded by the language and soon you'll be talking it too for most people this will be difficult, so I advise a personal tutor, who can solely focus on you it'll help very much inshAllah.

If you go to Makkah and Madinah, which is probably the only Arabic speaking place most of us non-Arabs will ever go to, and speak whatever little you know of fus'ha to them, they will understand you, as sister Yasmin said. They appreciate any attempt you make to speak their language, as some people can't speak any Arabic at all and communicate by signs, so they will do their best to speak back to you on the same level so that you can understand. If you go there for two or three weeks, by the end of that time, you'll notice yourself getting slightly more fluent and confident, as you've been surrounded by it 24/7, and will have been speaking it in the shops etc, but then it's time to come back again, and you're back to square one.

It's true we can't understand street or colloquial Arabic, but that is a corruption of fus'ha. Once, when I was going to classes, I mentioned that I wanted to learn street/colloquial Arabic to my teacher and she advised me to stick to learning fus'ha, as that's pure and proper, and said don't learn corrupted stuff (she is a native Arab), learn fus'ha, and speak that, and you'll understand a good amount of modern standard Arabic. The most important thing is to understand Allah's message and even some Arabs don't understand Qur'anic Arabic properly because they're so used to the current day colloquial. But it is still frustrating when you walk down the street and can't understand much of what's being said around you; it might as well be a different language.

As sister Ghazalah has said, and I've come to the same conclusion, best way to learn, is to live in an Arab country...otherwise to find a good teacher, or a good course, practice a lot, and also listen to/watch some of the Arabic Islamic channels, to give you a bit more exposure.. sometimes packets and tins have different languages on, and if Arabic is amongst them see if you can understand, and look up words you don't know. Make sure you have a good Arabic dictionary so you can look things up, and know how to look them up.

For those who know Urdu, Urdu and Arabic share many words in common, which gives you a bit of a head start on vocabulary. Some of those common words can be found here: http://www.islamicboard.com/puzzles-...abic-urdu.html

Sister Writer also has an Arabic course in the Arabic section here:

http://www.islamicboard.com/arabic/1...rn-arabic.html

In answer to the original question, I did the three Madinah Arabic books, and finished a couple of years ago, but am beginning to forget some of what I learned so need to revise. I'm limited to what I learned there. Main obstacles are limited vocabulary, lack of practice, no conversation and no further teaching.

May Allah make it easy for us all to learn the language of His book, and to understand and act on the message contained in it, ameen.

Salahudeen
09-19-2011, 08:48 PM
^yes if you're not speaking it on a daily basis you will forget it, I forgot my native language since I didn't speak it, and now I only know 1 language :hmm:

joyous fairy
09-19-2011, 09:37 PM
I dont know Arabic, just a few random words :( I can read it though.

I tried to do a course while I was at uni but dropped out cos it was too hard :(

I will try and learn one day inshaAllah, I would love to go to an Arab country and learn there, but doesnt look like that will be happening any time soon :(

Who Am I?
09-19-2011, 10:12 PM
^yes if you're not speaking it on a daily basis you will forget it, I forgot my native language since I didn't speak it, and now I only know 1 language :hmm:
What was your other language?

I used to be fluent in Spanish, but now all I remember are the curse words.

.iman.
10-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Do you know Arabic ?
Are you learning Arabic?
I only know conversational arabic of a specific dialect, not what is considered "literal" Arabic (fus7a I believe is what it's called). I started by taking classes and al hamdoulilah I can read and write in arabic. I started around March of last year but it was off and on since I lost my tutor (al hamdoulilah she moved to Saudi!), then I started an online course. I was also married to an Arab, so I am able to understand the dialect, and I can speak it, but that's about it. For me the biggest challenge right now is getting motivated again... inchAllah once my life is back on track with a normal schedule I can start again.

*Yasmin*
10-22-2011, 11:47 PM
^ inshallah, wish you all the best of luck.
you know conversational Arabic, this is so great Mashallah, normally most of the courses teach Fus7a Arabic, so getting to know conversational Arabic is a blessing, that way you can understand Arabs and can talk with them and gradually inshallah you will know fus7a Arabic :)

User29123
10-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Nope I cannot read Arabic, I can read the Quran but not 100% perfect I forgotten most of it now anyway. I would love it learn it.

- Malak -
11-07-2011, 07:44 PM
I am Arabic, I have a friend is learning Arabic. it is not easy at the beginning. so it needs effort and strong well to learn :thumbs_up

*Yasmin*
11-08-2011, 05:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PoweredByGoogle
Nope I cannot read Arabic, I can read the Quran but not 100% perfect I forgotten most of it now anyway. I would love it learn it.
the least you can do is being able to read Quran the way it should be read/recited brother.. have the niyyah (intention) to start learning Arabic and inshallah Allah helps and makes it easy for you :)

you might check this link out: http://www.islamicboard.com/arabic/1...-religion.html

format_quote Originally Posted by - Malak -
I am Arabic, I have a friend is learning Arabic. it is not easy at the beginning. so it needs effort and strong well to learn :thumbs_up
Good luck to your friend:) , may Allah ease it for her, Amin ...

User29123
11-08-2011, 07:53 PM
the least you can do is being able to read Quran the way it should be read/recited brother.. have the niyyah (intention) to start learning Arabic and inshallah Allah helps and makes it easy for you :)

you might check this link out: http://www.islamicboard.com/arabic/1...-religion.html

Good luck to your friend:) , may Allah ease it for her, Amin ...

The last time I read the Quran was 2 years ago I hardly can read it any more, only a few things that I know, I mostly read the translation one I got.

MuslimDownunder
01-22-2012, 07:14 AM
I love arabic and want to learn it to be able to understand the Quranic linguistic miracle.

Al-bint
04-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Do you know Arabic ?
Are you learning Arabic?

It would be nice if you could share with us Your Experience with Arabic Language
new students might learn from you
Assalaamualikum!
i. Not Yet! only a bit for now.

ii. yes I am trying to, Alhamdulillah!

iii. As a hobby I have been trying to learn Arabic since past may be 3 years but have been trying to learn it seriously only since some weeks.

iv. 1st of all I couldnt find anyone to teach it to me, as in some language course coz it isnt available at my place. had to resort to books but they dint help much coz i was getting confused with the tenses and various forms of words. Finally alhamdulillah found a book that made it quite easier! Alhamdulillah!

The only thing I know about learning arabic that would be of help to others is that learn it with the intention of understanding the Qur'an and you will see it'll become miraculously easy!

P.S. i am focusng on learning Qur'anic arabic not arabic as a language...

wasalaam!

marwen
04-06-2012, 08:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-bint
P.S. i am focusng on learning Qur'anic arabic not arabic as a language...
That's excellent sister, because I think Qur'anic arabic is the highest level of using the arabic language.

Cabdullahi
04-06-2012, 10:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
That's excellent sister, because I think Qur'anic arabic is the highest level of using the arabic language.

مروان لم يتزوج حتى الآن

marwen
04-06-2012, 11:13 AM
^ Sorry 3abdullahii, I don't understand what you wrote.:?

Al-bint
04-06-2012, 02:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
thankyou. but classical arabic isn't used much now a days...

wasalaam!

jellybeans
06-25-2012, 02:23 PM
I learn new words and phrases (just a couple a day, and it is MSA) on youtube.com. Just search for "learn arabic with maha". She is a great teacher, and sometimes she can be funny when she brings a guest on her videos. TWO reasons why Maha is better than Rocket Arabic course: 1) Maha teaches MSA; Rocket Languages teaches Egyptian dialect 2) Maha teaches for FREE! :) :)

I am learning the alpabet form (I am sure if you are Mulsim you have probably gone past that stage long ago!) shariaprogram.ca It is for FREE and it really helps you... unfortunately I don't know If I am drawing letters proplerly... :(

I have really struggled to find an Arabic institution in my area... so I'll have to rely on the internet...

A lot of people ask we why I want to learn Arabic as a non-Muslim, and it's just because Arabic is soo beautiful (the writing as well) and it can be very useful for business, etc. but I want to learn it because I am obsessed with Arabic culture and Islam religion, that I hope to travel to an Arabic coutry (God-willing) one day... *sigh* that is my dream..

To me English is standard, but Arabic is awesome! :)

Atheeq
07-18-2012, 11:32 AM
^ thanks for the YT reccomendation might try that one, I started learning with Rosetta Stone but its voice recognition is really bad:hmm:

Bint-e-Adam
09-19-2012, 03:52 AM
i was born in Bahrain. but i am paksitani. now i am in Pakistan. i apssed my matriculation and intermediate with medical science. i wanted to be a doctor. but then afterwards i made my mind to learn arabic. i started to learn the meanings and grammar of Quran. now i have recently done my B.A(Arabic as elective subject) privately and without any help or tutor. and this august it was my result that i passed b.a with first grade. and got 189 marks out of 200 in arabic subject. now i am starting studyin g my M.A in arabic privately without any tutor or help. i have confidence that i will insha ALlah succeed in it also. now my grammar is a little bit good in arabic , but i cant speak arabic much fluently. i am urdu speaker. and i can speak english with much fluent. and my enlgish grammar is excellent. (not saying proudly :P). i believe that before you learn to speak any language, you must first learn it's grammar, as it is the base of it. now i want to improve my grammar as well as my speaking skills. so that's why i have joined this brilliant forum.

sister herb
09-22-2012, 03:07 AM
I have teached my language using Arabic as my work language.

;D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!