/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What new word did you learn today?

Salahudeen
09-19-2011, 12:57 PM
I learnt the word affluent, it's basically another word for rich, i.e he's a very affluent person or only the affluent could afford to travel abroad. I'm trying to learn a new word every day since my vocab is very small.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
09-19-2011, 03:05 PM
I don't think I've learnt any new word today, unless if you count unintelligible gibberish by a 10 month-old nephew as words. As I've learnt today, "waaa waaa waaa" can mean "I'm hungry, where's my mummy", or "You suck uncle, that peekaboo of yours is so old, unfunny, not to mention lame".

That being said, My favorite word of today is "thingamabob" which is used to refer to something which you can't rememer the name of (similar to whatyamacallit).

Riana17
09-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Wow Brother Ramadan, you dont learn anything at all ;D

Soulja Girl
09-19-2011, 06:40 PM
:sl:

loll.. Every day I hear of a new word in Gujarati.. I don't learn it cuz its ever so hard to remember.. :X

:wa:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
noorseeker
09-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Recently i learnt the word generic,.. which im still workin on how to use

Its means something common, or general.

Oh you look nice today, is a generic thing to say , i think , correct me if i am wrong

Well i try and learn of sister bluebells posts ;D

GuestFellow
09-19-2011, 07:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
I learnt the word affluent, it's basically another word for rich, i.e he's a very affluent person or only the affluent could afford to travel abroad. I'm trying to learn a new word every day since my vocab is very small.
I have a new word for you. Conveyancing. This means to transfer property from one person to another.

Salahudeen
09-19-2011, 08:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
I have a new word for you. Conveyancing. This means to transfer property from one person to another.
So if I sold a house the correct context would be, "I have to conveyance the house" which basically means transfer the house to another person :p

Salahudeen
09-19-2011, 08:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noorseeker
Recently i learnt the word generic,.. which im still workin on how to use

Its means something common, or general.

Oh you look nice today, is a generic thing to say , i think , correct me if i am wrong

I concur ;D you're a generic (common) poster on this forum noor seeker :hmm: that doesn't sound correct ;D

~Raindrop~
09-19-2011, 08:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noorseeker
Lol same here!

Hmmm... didn't actually learn a new word today but I remember one word I learnt a couple of years ago and it seemed like it was such a cool word: ostentatious. I'd try to use it as often as I could :phew

Salahudeen
09-19-2011, 08:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha

Lol same here!

Hmmm... didn't actually learn a new word today but I remember one word I learnt a couple of years ago and it seemed like it was such a cool word: ostentatious. I'd try to use it as often as I could :phew
:raging: if you contribute a word you must write down what it means :D

~Raindrop~
09-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Ooops, sorry. :phew

Ostentatious:
characterized by or given to pretentious or conspicuous show in an attempt to impress others: an ostentatious dresser.
(of actions, manner, qualities exhibited, etc.) intended to attract notice: Lady Bountiful's ostentatious charity.

Salahudeen
09-19-2011, 08:40 PM
^ so basically ostentatious means attracting attention, so if I were to say to someone, "you can't wear that it's too ostentatious" it would mean what they're wearing attracts too much attention? or if I said, "he's a very ostentacious person" that would mean a person who likes to attract attention and be noticed? :hmm:

~Raindrop~
09-19-2011, 08:46 PM
In a 'vulgar' sort of way, yes. Like riya'. It's not a good thing. Maybe...show-off?

Salahudeen
09-19-2011, 08:49 PM
show off makes more sense, next time my friend is shouting in the street I will tell him, be quiet you ostentatious person ;D his mouth will drop open.

Ghazalah
09-21-2011, 08:50 PM
'Peripheral' means outside of the brain.

Attachment 4339

GuestFellow
09-21-2011, 09:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
So if I sold a house the correct context would be, "I have to conveyance the house" which basically means transfer the house to another person :p
Well actually you are transferring the legal title of the property. I never used the term conveyancing that much. :hmm: Can't believe I managed to pass the subject.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!