/* */

PDA

View Full Version : :/ Offensive?

Beardo
09-20-2011, 01:57 PM
So I just got scolded in front of the entire Masjid because this uncle got upset that I didn't recite a dua after the Fajr prayer. :| Sparked a huge debate in the Masjid because a couple others defended me. Oh the joys. :| That was the 3rd day of me starting to go to Fajr Jamaat. Would it be wussy to start going to a different Masjid? :x I appreciated the criticism, but not the approach. X____x

After Salaah, I walked to the back of the Masjid and the uncle literally calls me out and says, "Brother, do you know how to make dua? Could you please come back and make a dua for us?" o.o

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salahudeen
09-20-2011, 02:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo
So I just got scolded in front of the entire Masjid because this uncle got upset that I didn't recite a dua after the Fajr prayer. :| Sparked a huge debate in the Masjid because a couple others defended me. Oh the joys. :| That was the 3rd day of me starting to go to Fajr Jamaat. Would it be wussy to start going to a different Masjid? :x I appreciated the criticism, but not the approach. X____x

After Salaah, I walked to the back of the Masjid and the uncle literally calls me out and says, "Brother, do you know how to make dua? Could you please come back and make a dua for us?" o.o
:hmm: it's not fard to recite a du'a after the salah is it?? People have made it into a fard now days :hmm: was it the practice of the prophet (saw) to recite a du'a in congregation without fail after every prayer? :hmm:

Beardo
09-20-2011, 02:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
:hmm: it's not fard to recite a du'a after the salah is it?? People have made it into a fard now days :hmm: was it the practice of the prophet (saw) to recite a du'a in congregation without fail after every prayer? :hmm:
I honestly don't know, but I'm pretty sure it's not Fardh, lol. :| Honestly, you might look around at the Masjid and wonder why there aren't enough youth.
-___-

But anyhow, I don't mind his criticism, I just thought the approach of calling me out in front of anyone was just...uncalled for? Somewhat humiliating, too, but that's not much of an issue.

I just wish we wouldn't shove things down people's throats, especially since as you said, it's not obligatory. He could have just let it go today and told me privately after prayer lolol. Oh well. It makes me laugh now that I think about it. I kept quiet the entire time, but the drama was quite entertaining. Took care of the fact that I don't have a television set in my house.

Salahudeen
09-20-2011, 02:14 PM

I honestly don't know, but I'm pretty sure it's not Fardh, lol. :| Honestly, you might look around at the Masjid and wonder why there aren't enough youth.
-___-

But anyhow, I don't mind his criticism, I just thought the approach of calling me out in front of anyone was just...uncalled for? Somewhat humiliating, too, but that's not much of an issue.

I just wish we wouldn't shove things down people's throats, especially since as you said, it's not obligatory. He could have just let it go today and told me privately after prayer lolol. Oh well. It makes me laugh now that I think about it. I kept quiet the entire time, but the drama was quite entertaining. Took care of the fact that I don't have a television set in my house.
I can imagine how you felt no body likes to be called up on something in public, and it's not like you could do anything since he was old man and you was young guy, I think you did the right thing in keeping quiet, I felt the same once when I was praying and my trousers were below my ankles and some guy shouted at me across the mosque to fold them up :hmm:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mr.President
09-20-2011, 02:18 PM
its not fard bro ! btw his way of advising will pissoff many people !
any way ignore him !

Beardo
09-20-2011, 02:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
I can imagine how you felt no body likes to be called up on something in public, and it's not like you could do anything since he was old man and you was young guy, I think you did the right thing in keeping quiet, I felt the same once when I was praying and my trousers were below my ankles and some guy shouted at me across the mosque to fold them up :hmm:
Alhamdulillah, I'm glad I kept my mouth shut.

And dang. :/ Yeah, it's all in the approach, you know? With anyone, you don't want to repel them from the Masjid or scare them away. Lesson learned for us too. :) Now, and also when we become old one day, if we live to that age.

format_quote Originally Posted by Mr.President
its not fard bro ! btw his way of advising will pissoff many people !
any way ignore him !
Yeah, I think keeping silent is the best method too. It totally caught me off-guard. Jazakallahu Khair! :)

ardianto
09-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Something that makes me feel comfort to live as Muslim in Indonesia, because Muslims here can accept differences. If after salah subh in masjid, some jama'ah make du'a and other do not, no one from both parties will protest.

Like in ramadhan, masjid near my home held taraweeh i 20 raka'ah. But some jama'ah perform taraweeh only 8 raka'ah, then went home and perform witr in their homes. And no one protested them.

Reflections
09-20-2011, 03:44 PM
AsSalaamu 3alaykum,

May Allah forgive the Uncle ameen. It's not fardh to make du3a after every salah but this can clear it up inshaAllah:

Riana17
09-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Salam Alaikkum

Maybe it is his first time to attend Prayer at the Mosque :)

Having patience and keeping silent means you respected yourself, Masha Allah

SFatima
09-20-2011, 04:51 PM

brother, please don't be offended or bothered about these aged uncles who have anger/patience/communication skills issues, they do that to everybody around them so it isn't necessary that you must err infront of them, it could be anybody.

Just relax and go to the same masjid, do not take such criticisms to your heart, you know it is said in the Quran about old age,something like, " and then after your youth, we return you to your childhood/dependent stage,(something like that)" which means that in old age , old people think just like kids, they have small hearts, small minds, and they get angry and emotional easily over nothing, so remember that about old people, they need to be treated with kindness love and patience. : ) And just ignore their unnecessary commentary, which in this case, does seem to have come from, lack of patience.

SFatima
09-20-2011, 04:53 PM
And MAshALlah you carried yourself rather well, just be persistent in your respectful manner, do not think much of it : )

Abdul-Raouf
09-20-2011, 05:34 PM
It happens often in my native.. its not a metro... In Masjid.. even a fight(punches) can start if someone doesnt wear a toppi or if someone gets up during dua... etc.
Atlast they go start building a seperate masjid... etc...

The way we teach and the way people listen matters... :) .. either side it should be smooth.. else trouble..

But here in Chennai... its not an issue at all in most of the masjids..... as bro ardianto mentioned.. u can find people with different opinions but things go smooth.

Alpha Dude
09-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Lol. Bless ya. You have to understand that uncles are 'old school'. They'll blast you in front of everyone to correct your mistakes. No messing around!

Although in this case, it wasn't a real mistake as dua is not wajib... I think it's actually bidah to believe so. Perhaps get a scholar/imam to have a word with him to explain his mistake to him.

tw009
09-20-2011, 07:01 PM
That has happened to my brother quite a few times so I know exactly how you feel. like some others have said ignore them when they get all mad/angry and treat them with respect and kindness no matter what they say.

GuestFellow
09-20-2011, 07:16 PM

YOUR BACK! *Hugs* I have been so WORRIED about you! I thought you got lost again or stopped by and gave a lift to some crazy psychopath.:skeleton:

If I was in your position, I probably would have lost my temper and got angry at him. So I'm impressed that you remained calm. Don't take it personally, some people are just cranky.

Ramadhan
09-21-2011, 05:59 AM
This happened to me in masjid al nabawwi in madina:
I brought along my own qur'an from indonesia and put it in my little bag which I carried whenever I went to the masjid. I like my own qur'an better because I'd been using it for a while and because it has translations/tafseer on the side which I could read after I recited 2 pages of qur'an. So one time after asr, that's what I did, even though there are these thousands of qur'ans on the racks everywhere inside the masjid.
So when I was just reading my qur'an, this old man (who apparently had been observing me) came up to me, and speaking god knows what language, he was very agitated, speaking rapidly with his hands flailing all over, and then pointed to me, and to my qur'an and then to those qur'ans on the rack. I was totally confused.
But he kept doing it. Finally, I guessed that this old man wanted me to stop reading qur'an from my own and use those made available in the masjid instead.
I didn't know whats wrong with my qur'an? was it because it had tafseer/translation? (I heard the word "tafseer" mentioned by him).
So in order to just keep things peaceful, i put my qur'an back in my bag and picked up one of those qur'an from the rack. And then he went away.
Good thing the area where I was not crowded that day, so I was spared an embarrassment somewhat.

But that was not the case in another day (still in masjid nabawi) when I was sitting, and a man was walking past next to me. Suddenly, the pants of his shlwar kameez was being pulled by an old man sitting next to me. That walking man was very startled of course. this old man kept holding on to the pants and pulled and pulled and pointed to the hems and pulled them back up. This time I understood the man's mistake: his pants were longer than his ankle.

Snowflake
09-21-2011, 11:30 AM
:sl:

Don't stop going to the same mosque. It would appear bad on your part. I like Bro Alpha's advice about getting the Imaam to correct the uncle instead. It would be better if he addressed the whole congregation instead. Or you could well end up with different uncle on your back next time.

Muhaba
09-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Brother how could you forget to make dua? I thought you were more knowledgeable. astagfirullah, if they are making such ppl imams, what next? what has this Ummah come to? an imam who forgets dua after fajr prayer!!!

j/k

by the way, i heard that one of the signs of the Day of Judgment is raising voices in the masjid.

ardianto
09-21-2011, 01:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan
I didn't know whats wrong with my qur'an? was it because it had tafseer/translation? (I heard the word "tafseer" mentioned by him).
Probably.

Do you know bro, Indonesian tafseer of Qur'an is unacceptable in Saudi Arabia. And Saudi tafseer of Qur'an is unacceptable in Indonesia. In certain matter Saudi ulama and Indonesian ulama are not in one opinion.

There was a case, Saudi govt spread Qur'an with Saudi tafseer (in Indonesian language) to Indonesian hajj. It created confusion among Indonesian hajj because they found interpretation on ayaah that different than interpretation that made by Indonesian ulama. Indonesian govt sent official protest to Saudi govt, and then they never spread Qur'an like these again.

SFatima
09-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Which tafseer do saudis follow, generally? does anyone know?

Ansariyah
09-21-2011, 05:50 PM
MashaAllah though at your patience..but that must've been awkward!

The word 'Adaab' can't be stressed enough here!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!