/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Saudi women given voting rights

User29123
09-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Salam,

Now all they need to do is allow them to drive..:)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/sep/25/saudi-women-right-to-vote?newsfeed=true

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Maryan0
09-25-2011, 09:42 PM
Saudi women given voting rights
King Abdullah says women will be allowed to run as candidates in municipal polls and will even have a right to vote.
Last Modified: 25 Sep 2011 13:03

Saudi women will have the right to join the advisory Shura Council (consultative assembly) as full members and participate in future municipal elections, King Abdullah has said.

The announcement came days before municipal elections where women will be excluded.

"Because we refuse to marginalise women in society in all roles that comply with sharia, we have decided, after deliberation with our senior ulama [clerics] and others ... to involve women in the Shura Council as members, starting from the next term," Abdullah said on Sunday in a speech delivered to the Shura Council.

"Women will be able to run as candidates in the municipal election and will even have a right to vote," Abdullah said.

Restrictions

The decision means women will take part in the elections to be held in four years. Nominations for municipal polls on Thursday are already in.

Women in the ultra-conservative Gulf kingdom are not allowed to drive.

Activists in the country have long called for greater rights for women, who are barred from travelling, working or having medical operations without the permission of a male relative.

More than 5,000 men will compete in Thursday's municipal elections, only the second in Saudi Arabia's history, to fill half the seats in the kingdom's 285 municipal councils. The other half are appointed by the government.

The first elections were held in 2005, but the government extended the existing councils' term for two more years.

More than 60 Saudi intellectuals and activists have called for a boycott of the ballot for excluding women.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/mi...652136164.html

GuestFellow
09-26-2011, 05:00 AM
How nice for Saudi women...

SFatima
09-26-2011, 06:21 AM
What about driving?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
09-26-2011, 06:54 AM
^ They will drive eventually. Give them time.

MSalman
09-26-2011, 03:23 PM
"hey master, we have given our women rights to vote and run for elections, can you please accept us now?"

MSalman
09-26-2011, 03:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SFatima
What about driving?
Sister, what about driving? Do you know why it is banned? Are you aware of all the factors and circumstances? If not, it's better not to comment on that.

GuestFellow
09-26-2011, 05:04 PM
^ What are all the factors and circumstances?

MSalman
09-26-2011, 07:53 PM
^bro, we already discussed it, few months ago, here.

GuestFellow
09-26-2011, 08:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MSalman
^bro, we already discussed it, few months ago, here.
Well the issue has been raised here again. You can give a quick summary about these factors and circumstances.

joyous fairy
09-26-2011, 08:29 PM
How comes women werent allowed to vote before?

جوري
09-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Desperate effort by the Saudi kings to safeguard against a revolution akin to those of their neighbors.. They had no right to take away their voices to all of a sudden graciously give it to them..

sabr*
09-26-2011, 08:46 PM
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

How could anyone justify Monarchy, Kingship or Self-Appointed leadership who dictate laws that are in direct opposition to that
which you claim to believe? Those who continue to justify the Kingship and Monarchy are or have benefited in one way or
another directly or via family. Using personal reasoning to justify oppressing another Muslims rights that have been
legislated by Allah is criminal.

Those who continue to deny rights Allah has legislated:

Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 19:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet said, "The best women are the riders of the camels and the righteous among the women of Quraish.

They are the kindest women to their children in their childhood and the more careful women of the property of their husbands."

Jazakumullahu Khair

GuestFellow
09-26-2011, 09:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by joyous fairy
How comes women werent allowed to vote before?
Not sure. Voting is pointless in Saudi Arabia when you have a powerful Monarchy.

MSalman
09-26-2011, 11:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
Well the issue has been raised here again. You can give a quick summary about these factors and circumstances.
brother, my posts are there - I also responded to number of your questions in that thread. Whoever wishes to know, they can simply read it or maybe you can copy paste them here. In 3 points:

1 - The fatawa against women driving is based on principle in Islam: blocking means to haraam

2 - There are general rulings and then exceptions to general rulings. In certain cirumstances, halal can become haraam and vice versa. This is well within principles of jurisprudence and objectives of shariah. Those of us who haven't studied even basic fiqh book about tahara & salah let alone having good bit of understanding of usool al-fiqh, maqasid al-shari'ah and how fatawas are given shouldn't go yada yada about "oh, it's against Islam", "oh scholars are wrong". We need to learn our place and fear Allah.

Aprender
09-27-2011, 12:34 AM
brother, my posts are there - I also responded to number of your questions in that thread. Whoever wishes to know, they can simply read it or maybe you can copy paste them here. In 3 points:

1 - The fatawa against women driving is based on principle in Islam: blocking means to haraam

2 - There are general rulings and then exceptions to general rulings. In certain cirumstances, halal can become haraam and vice versa. This is well within principles of jurisprudence and objectives of shariah. Those of us who haven't studied even basic fiqh book about tahara & salah let alone having good bit of understanding of usool al-fiqh, maqasid al-shari'ah and how fatawas are given shouldn't go yada yada about "oh, it's against Islam", "oh scholars are wrong". We need to learn our place and fear Allah.
I still don't get it. I guess I'll have to read the old thread.

ardianto
09-27-2011, 10:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
Not sure. Voting is pointless in Saudi Arabia when you have a powerful Monarchy.
I quote it from the article.
["Women will be able to run as candidates in the municipal election and will even have a right to vote."]
This voting is for municipal election, not for national parliament.

But, Akhee, those fatawa are only about prohibition for women to travel without mahram. I don't see any daleel that can be used to prohibit women drive cars if their mahram are in the cars.

Ramadhan
09-27-2011, 11:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
But, Akhee, those fatawa are only about prohibition for women to travel without mahram. I don't see any daleel that can be used to prohibit women drive cars if their mahram are in the cars.
This.
Also, it is very strange (not to mention unislamic) when women are not allowed to drive, but they are allowed to be driven by their drivers who are not their mahrams.

GuestFellow
09-27-2011, 11:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan

This.
Also, it is very strange (not to mention unislamic) when women are not allowed to drive, but they are allowed to be driven by their drivers who are not their mahrams.
That is what I find bizarre.

MSalman
09-27-2011, 04:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
I'm sure you meant MALE mahram. Yes that should be fine, insha'Allah. As far I know, most of the cases involving women were that they were alone and they were committing haraam like zina; so, the law was passed on according to the general situation. I have spoken to few brothers and sisters from Saudia and they think this was a good move by the government. One other thing is that this ban is only applicable in inner cities.

Allahu A'lam, if they let go off women when they're driving along with a male mahram.

format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan

This.
The scholars did speak against it but it hasn't made to the law book of the country. I suppose mainly because the nobles' women travel around with male drivers or they need such a luxury, Allahu a'lam. Corruption indeed!

The point I was trying to raise is that we need to be careful about this issue. The fatawa of scholars against women driving is based on Islamic principles - there's nothing "unislamic" about it. It's an issue of ijtihad, if they got it right they will get two rewards else at least one reward. One other thing we need to remember is that most of scholarship in Saudia is based on hanabli math-hab and hanabli math-hab is quite strict about some issues, Allahu A'lam.

Generally speaking, if anyone ask me, one of the reasons why some Muslims make fuss about this issue is because it's questioned by western audience and secualrists/modernists in general. How many times do same Muslims make fuss about Saudi Arabia, as a whole, not rulings by the laws of Allah? Riba based banks, insurances, non-shari courts run by Muslims, etc etc etc

Danah
09-27-2011, 05:04 PM
I have been in Saudi Arabia many many times, I know many people there and I know exactly what kind of culture is there. With all respect to my brothers and sisters whom I highly respect in Saudi Arabia...I think that allowing women there to drive will be an unwise decision. I am not talking about the Islamic rule here but about the society itself.

The society there is very conservative and not ready to bear such change. Maybe they can take this step in the future but not now. Even people who I know there in Saudi Arabia disagreed with such decision.

ardianto
09-27-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm sure you meant MALE mahram. Yes that should be fine, insha'Allah. As far I know, most of the cases involving women were that they were alone and they were committing haraam like zina; so, the law was passed on according to the general situation. I have spoken to few brothers and sisters from Saudia and they think this was a good move by the government. One other thing is that this ban is only applicable in inner cities.

Allahu A'lam, if they let go off women when they're driving along with a male mahram.
Yes, I meant male mahram.

And I am sure, I am not the only person who propose idea, women can drive in Saudi Arabia if their male mahram are in the cars.

Riana17
09-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Salam Alaikkum All,

i heard that not whole Saudi women are allowed, just some states

It would be so nice to hear something from Sister Amat Allah. It's interesting to know how she feels about it, inshallah its all for good. Amen

Muezzin
09-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Guys, the topic is about Saudi women being given voting rights. There are already existing topics about driving, such as this one.

Rhubarb Tart
09-28-2011, 05:00 PM
:sl:It wasnt long ago where they banned women to drive, they had few years before to get use to it. anyways not allowing women to drive because their society is conversative speaks volume on what they think of women. Frankly I am starting to care less about them, as long as I dont live there, I dont care.

And if this is how shariah should look like lol I certainly dont want to live in one like that! If their men cant the sight of woman in a car, I would say lock them up in a cage! But that is my view, no one should take offence to that. Saudi is a country that their women like children, good for them.

sabr*
09-29-2011, 06:57 AM
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

There is nothing from Quran and the Sunnah that can overcome brainwashing! If a person can openly support self-imposed directives by corrupt governments the only
remedy is to ignore and continue to reach those that can reached. Insha Allah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!