/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Google+... Think it'll survive?

Tyrion
09-26-2011, 01:42 AM

So I deleted my FB a while back since I wasn't using it much anymore, but now Google+ has arrived on the scene and I seem to already have a profile because of my gmail account. :p: I haven't really started to use it though, for a couple of reasons... 1) I'm too busy, (I shouldn't even be on IB tbh...) and 2) I wanted to wait and see how Google+ did against FB before actually using it to connect with people. Anybody else already make an account? Any opinions on Google+ itself or how you think it'll fare against FB? I hear FB is making a ton of new (and according to my friends, annoying) changes to try and compete... Dunno if that'll keep up though.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Al-Mufarridun
09-26-2011, 03:06 AM
Be very suspicious about Google, and all these social networks. Basicly it is all about gathering info from you, everything you read, watch, site you visit, what you like, dislike, when, how, how often, all these are gathered, your browsing history, search history, media you upload, download. All these are worth billions, very soon trillions, and they'll be owned by Google to do with as they wish. they'll use it to market to you and/or sell it to those who are willing to pay for it, whether individuals or organizations, corporate or governments.

Just be aware how much of YOU you're comfortable to put out there.

Tyrion
09-26-2011, 03:11 AM
Ah, I should have said something about this in my first post...

1) I'd appreciate it if nobody else started talking about the evils of social networking... Even if its dealing with the issue of what companies like google do with your information. I think we're all adults here (most of us anyway.) and we know what we're doing if we decide to sign up...

2) I'm pretty sure Google already has all the information it could want about my browsing habits/info since I use gmail and have an android phone (like most people nowadays)... :p: So I suppose if you think about it that way, it's probably safer to just go with a Google+ account over a FB account. That way only one company has your info, as opposed to two. :D

Aprender
09-26-2011, 03:40 AM
For a little while but I don't think it will have longevity. People will get bored with it just like Facebook and any other social networking platform out there.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tyrion
09-26-2011, 03:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aprender
People will get bored with it just like Facebook and any other social networking platform out there.
But nobody really got bored with Facebook... It's become too ingrained into people's lives. I think the main issue here is if Google+ can beat Facebook at its own game.

Aprender
09-26-2011, 04:02 AM
Tough to beat the originator of social networking but I'm not one to speak really as I do not use Google+ and Facebook is just....wasteland. :hmm: Not to the extent that MySpace is now, because people have not abandoned Facebook completely, but it's definitely lost its appeal in my opinion. That's what I mean by people being bored with it. Not that it's dead because as more people get connected to the internet its member base grows because it's what is hot right now. But I see people just logon to Facebook to waste time, play games like Farmville, drop a comment here or there to a friend or whatever then log off. Facebook is only alive now because there isn't anything else out there at the moment that's more entertaining but I'm not so sure if that's Google+. I believe people want to go where they want to be led.

I think Google should stick to what it's good at. I'd like to see Google focus more on back end developments with its operating system and possibly give Apple a run for its money. With Google+ and all of this Google Buzz and everything it's running itself very thin. Can't have it all.

Alpha Dude
09-26-2011, 04:22 AM
When gmail came out whilst hotmail was mostly dominant it went on to become a major and succesful competitor.

However, I don't think this will happen with G+. Facebook has almost a billion members and from there, I'd assume only the really curious or disgruntled people would consider actually using G+ (as opposed to just signing in a few times) because in practical terms, it's a redundant thing to be updating social status, pics etc in two different places with assumingly the same group of contacts (and people aren't going to be deleting FB as soon as they join G+).

Users are familiar with FB and unless they venture out and find any real benefit with G+, they'll stick to that.

Although I think FB did kill myspace, so that's something to think about... but then again Myspace was pretty simplistic to begin with whilst FB is feature rich and ubiquitous, so there is little comparison to the precedent.

To best guage where things are headed, I should ask my little brother what he likes using best. :D

Ramadhan
09-26-2011, 01:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aprender
Tough to beat the originator of social networking
Facebook is not the originator of social networking, but it made the best one, and by far. (there had been many social networkings before FB, such as friendster, myspace etc. I signed up for FB in early 2007, and I had had Friendster since 2004, which I then deleted).
The best analogy is with google: it is not the originator of internet search engine, but it created the best search engine and BY FAR. It revolutionised search engine, the same way FB did to social networking to a lesser extent.

I have an account with Google+ but I didn't even complete my profile and add friends. Why should make myself encumbered with another social networking when my FB is now left dormant.

AabiruSabeel
09-26-2011, 06:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zÂk
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude

To best guage where things are headed, I should ask my little brother what he likes using best. :D
Facebook :ermm: ..................
I never knew you were Alpha's younger brother. :unsure:

joyous fairy
09-26-2011, 09:52 PM
I dont think Google+ will replace facebook. I havent used google+ though so I cant compare the 2 but what I know is that so many people have joined facebook, it would be quite a miracle if it lost all members.

Also so many people have got most of their contacts on there and uploaded their albums, I dont think they'd want to transfer or leave after all those years of effort.

I personally wont join google+ because I cant be bothered. I use MSN and facebook, dont want another place to keep in touch with people. :hmm:

User29123
09-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Ah I'm a computer nerd here, however I don't use Social Networking I have a facebook account but that was for only developing applications. However like the brothers are saying at the top, they ALL collect your personal information, god knows what they do it though. They collect everything that's why search engines know where your from (via IP) so when you search something Google knows what you search for they safe something called a "tracking cookie" it tracks your data usage. So when you log out of facebook/Google they are still tracking you via the tracking cookie!

People should really learn about social networks before they do anything...

Looks facebooks already in trouble:

http://news.sky.com/home/technology/article/16078000

And to your main point, Google in my case will win, since Google got more services than facebook, so once you got a Google Email Account, you got blogger, G+, Google sites EVERYTHING!! So give it a year or two on Google will be winning...

ardianto
09-27-2011, 11:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PoweredByGoogle
And to your main point, Google in my case will win, since Google got more services than facebook, so once you got a Google Email Account, you got blogger, G+, Google sites EVERYTHING!! So give it a year or two on Google will be winning...
:hmm: PoweredByGoogle or SponsoredByGoogle ?

User29123
09-27-2011, 01:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
:hmm: PoweredByGoogle or SponsoredByGoogle ?
haha nice one..

SafaAuditore
09-28-2011, 06:58 AM
Honestly, with all this new crap fb is doing now, i think they're gonna lose alot of people to google+. many of my friends don't even get on fb much anymore, same with me. It's just annoying now. But alot of us did make/update a google+ profile and it seems like the one thing that we all want -- SIMPLICITY! It's simple looking, simple to use, simple everything! Just like fb used to be. But after a couple years of using it and after it grows a couple million users, they're gonna start messing with it and it'll turn out just like fb.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!