/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is this HARAM!? Cutting up dead bodies

ayan333
09-28-2011, 10:49 PM
AsSalaamu Alaykum WaRahmatulahi WaBarakatu

Im studying medicine and we are dissecting animals at the moment (cats,sheep brain ect)...eventually we will be handling dead bodies..Islamically is this allowed?

Dont the dead of rights..muslim or not?

Also im really interested in watching documentaries (medical) but they ALL HAVE MUSIC playing in the background...is it haraam for me to watch them even if they are for educational purposes..sometimes i just watch them to increase my knowledge and i must admitt they are really intresting so its not technically mandatory for me to view this documentaries.

Please advice!

JazakALLAH Khair in advance

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
09-29-2011, 03:35 AM
necessity overrides prohibition.. the question is however what is a necessity & what is frivolity.. & that's not a question any of us can answer for you.. Physicians must make executive decisions all the time without consultation ...

& Allah swt knows best..

ayan333
09-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Are you talking about the music in the documents or the dissecting or both?

BarakALLAHU Feekum

Endymion
09-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Assalam Alekum Dear Sister :statisfie

This will help you Inshallah.

Q)I am a medical student, and i wish to become a good doctor one day InshaAllah. Reguarding my education my problems are
1) My books contain figures of the human body both male and female, and I do not know if Hijab permits such knowledge to be learned,
2) As a student I have to cut open dead human bodies to study the various parts of the human body. I do not know if this is haraam or halaal
3) In exams students draw pictures of specific parts in their answers (not of the whole human body). I know the hadeeth that all picture makers will be in the fire, but i donot know if it is permissable to draw pictures for educational purposes.
Please advise me as I do not wish to go beyond the Islamic Shareeah.

A)Praise be to Allaah.

Fiqh councils and scientific committees have undertaken detailed studies to come up with the ruling on dissecting human bodies in order to learn medicine, and that is because this issue has to do with two important principles:

1 –The sanctity of the deceased in sharee’ah, and the strict instructions to respect and honour the deceased.

2 – The necessary interests that may be served by dissection in many cases.

We will quote fatwas that have been issued on this matter by academic bodies and some contemporary scholars, which may by summed up by noting that there is nothing wrong with using dead bodies for dissection to learn and teach medicine, but that is subject to the condition that the body not be that of someone whose life is protected by sharee’ah, and it should not be done more than is absolutely necessary.

It says in the statements of the Islamic Fiqh Council in Makkah al-Mukarramah, quoting from Fiqh al-Nawaazil by al-Jayzaani (4/208-209):

Based on necessities which call for dissection or autopsy of the dead body and in which dissection or autopsy serves an interest which outweighs the concern about violating the sanctity of the deceased, the Fiqh Council of the Muslim World League has determined the following:

1 – It is permissible to dissect a dead body for one of the following purposes:

(a) Examination in the case of a criminal investigation to find out the causes of death or what crime was committed; that is when the qaadi (judge) is uncertain of the causes of death and thinks that dissection or autopsy is the way to find out these causes.

(b) Investigation of diseases in cases where dissection or autopsy is called for so that in the light of this post mortem examination, precautions may be taken or suitable treatments may be determined for those diseases.

(c) Learning and teaching medicine as is done in schools of medicine.

2 – In the case of dissection for the purpose of teaching, attention should be paid to the following guidelines:

(a) If the body is that of a known person, it is essential that he have given permission before his death for his body to be dissected, or his heirs must give permission for that after his death. The body of a person whose life is protected by sharee’ah should not be dissected except in cases of necessity.

(b) The dissection should be limited to whatever is necessary, so as not to tamper unnecessarily with the body of the deceased.

(c) The bodies of women should not be dissected by anyone other than female doctors, unless there are none.

3 – In all cases, all parts of the dissected body must be buried afterwards.

In the book al-Buhooth al-‘Ilmiyyah by the Council of Senior Scholars in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (2/83-84) it says the following:

This matter may be divided into three categories:

1 – Dissection or autopsy in the case of a criminal investigation

2 – Dissection in the case of an investigation into an infectious disease, so that precautions may be taken in the light of this investigation to protect others from the disease

3 – Dissection for scientific purposes, for learning and teaching

After exchanging views, discussing and studying this issue, the Council has determined the following:

With regard to the first and second categories, the Council thinks that permitting them serves many interests in the fields of security, justice and protecting society from infectious diseases; the violation of the dissected body is outweighed by the many public interests that are served by that.

Hence the Council is unanimously agreed that it is permissible to dissect bodies for these two purposes, whether the body that is dissected belonged to someone who was protected by sharee’ah or not.

With regard to the third category, which is dissection for educational purposes, since Islam came to achieve and increase that which is in people’s interests, and to ward off and reduce that which is detrimental to their interests, and as it seeks to do the lesser of two evils in order to ward off the greater, then if there is a conflict of interests, the greater interest must be served;

And since dissecting animals other than humans cannot replace dissection of humans;

And since dissection serves many purposes that are seen in scientific progress in various fields of medicine;

Then the Council believes that it is permissible to dissect human bodies in general, but because Islam pays a great deal of attention to the dignity of the Muslim in death as in life, because of the report narrated by Imam Ahmad, Abu Dawood and Ibn Maajah from ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Breaking the bone of the deceased is like breaking it when he was alive”;

And since dissecting involves a loss of dignity, and since there is no necessity for dissecting them because it is possible to obtain dead bodies that are not protected by sharee’ah, the Council believes that dissections should be restricted to such bodies and not bodies of people who are protected by sharee’ah. End quote.

In Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn Baaz (22/349) it says the following:

If the deceased was protected by sharee’ah during his lifetime – whether he was a Muslim or a kaafir, whether a man or a woman – then it is not permissible to dissect the body, because that is mistreatment and violating his sanctity. It is proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Breaking the bone of the deceased is like breaking it when he was alive.” Narrated by Abu Dawood (2792).

But if he was not protected, such as an apostate or a non-Muslim in a state of war against the Muslims, then I do not see anything wrong with dissecting his body for medical purposes. End quote.

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

I'll try to find the answer of your second question regarding Music Inshallah :statisfie

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ayan333
10-02-2011, 07:40 AM
JazakALLAH Khair and please do InshaaALLAH

WaSalaamu Alaykum WaRahmatulahi WaBarakatu

Endymion
10-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Assalam Alekum Dearest sister :statisfie

I found this to answer your second question.

Q)What is the ruling on watching videos in general, and the movies that are called documentaries? Please advise us, may Allaah bless you.

A)Praise be to Allaah.

Watching movies includes looking at things that are haraam, such as seeing ‘awrahs, following immoral actions, or listening to things that are haraam such as music and obscene talk. Undoubtedly it is haraam to watch them in this case.

If the movies are free of such things, then there is nothing wrong with watching them, so long as that does not distract one from remembering Allaah or keep one from doing something that is obligatory.

No distinction is made between documentaries and other kinds of movies.

Watching movies has a bad effect on the individual and on the ummah. These include the following:

1- Provocation of desires

2- Propagation of immorality which is made attractive and easily accessible

3- Teaching and justification of crime, and making it familiar to young and old

4- Corruption of married life, by making the wife seem ugly to the husband and vice versa, by showing images of attractive girls and men.
5- Spreading corrupt beliefs which are based on kaafir theories, such as the theory of evolution, or attributing the powers of creation and destruction to researchers and inventors, or propagating magic, soothsaying and claims to know the unseen, or making fun of religion and religious people, and other things which appear in movies that are shown to young and old.

6- Wasting time and draining away energy, living with illusions far removed from reality.

And there are other evil consequences.

Shaykh Ibn Jibreen (may Allaah preserve him) said: Another of the evils of looking at those beguiling images and enjoying watching them is those images which are shown in movies on videos and on the TV etc, which show images of adorned women, especially those which are broadcast from foreign countries, and those that are shown via satellite, etc.

They are a fitnah (trial, temptation), and what a fitnah. The one who looks at those images cannot be sure that he will remain uninfluenced by the image of this woman or this zaani (adulterer) or this one who is committing evil and showing him the way to do it. He may not be able to control himself and stop himself from looking for ways to fulfil his desire, if he does not have the faith to stop him looking at these images, whether they are drawings, photographs in the pages of newspapers and magazines, or they are shown in direct broadcasts or in movies and the like.

These sins and haraam things are prevalent everywhere, and they are calling people to commit immoral actions. When a woman watches these non-mahram men, she cannot be sure that her heart will not incline towards committing immoral deeds, and when a woman sees these immoral, adorned women she would be temped to imitate them because she will think that they are smarter and stronger than her. That will make her cast aside the garment of modesty and uncover her face, and she will show her beauty to strangers, and she will become a fitnah and what a fitnah. End quote from the website of Shaykh Ibn Jibreen.

For more information on the dangers of TV, see the essay al-Ijhaaz ‘ala al-Tilfaaz by Shaykh Muhammad Ahmad Ismaa’eel.

See also questions no. 3633, 3324, 1107, 13003 for the rulings on watching TV and movies.

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

Hope this will help Inshallah but if you have any other question or any confusion in regard to that answer,feel free to post it here.Inshallah some one will answer in a more better way :statisfie

Please keep me in your doaa.
May Allah SWT make the tests of life and the here after easy for you.Amen.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!