/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Potential Marriage Issue

anonymous
09-29-2011, 04:15 PM
:sl:

I just want abit of advice on how I can advise someone.

Basically I asked someone to marry me (all above board). She refused first explaining that she had been in a previous relationship and that she would be happy if she does not marry again. Also that I'm too good a person. I deserve someone better.:hmm: That she would hurt me if we marry. I couldn't underdstand any of it.

Then after Ramzan she agreed. I was going to meet her parents but now she is saying the samething as before. You guys are probably thinking move on. But I prayed Istikharah and I had a good feeling. I will pray it again. Also she is a good person - she worries alot and I reckon that she is still punishing herself about her relationship with another guy who she thought that she would marry.

The reason why I want to continue is that she is different to other girls. She has many qualities and doesn't try impressing others or follow society etc.

So how can I advise her that she doesn't need to stop her life? just because she made a mistake and she has repented. What do I say to her to convince her that she is OK to marry me? I mean she thinks I should marry someone better. Someone I deserve.

Jazak'Allah khayrun

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snowflake
10-01-2011, 11:45 PM

I don't think you should keep trying to convince her. Make your point once (if you haven't already) and leave it at that. If you sought Allah's guidance on the matter then believe that Allah will help you in it if it is good for you, and if it isn't then He will turn you away from it and reward you with something better. La hawla wa la quwwata illa billah.

Tyrion
10-02-2011, 12:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
I reckon that she is still punishing herself about her relationship with another guy who she thought that she would marry.
Or maybe she's just not that into you?

anonymous
10-02-2011, 12:59 AM

Jazak'Allah khair for your replies. It's sorted now Alhumdulilah :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
10-02-2011, 01:24 AM
you've piqued my curiosity.. I hope it was resolved to your advantage insha'Allah.. I am a hopeless romantic :hmm:

Ibn Abi Ahmed
10-02-2011, 01:56 AM
:w:

I am going to give you some cold hard facts. I'm sure she's a great girl and that she has modesty and good qualities. But as an outsider perspective, I want to show you what I see just from what you've written that perhaps you may be missing.

I once knew a girl like that (quite well) who was with a brother who thought the way you do. After he realized that she wasn't worth it, he moved on and he tells me that now, much later he's truly glad it didn't work. This is what he said to me and I will highlight to you the qualities that changed his mind in what I see from what you've written:

Basically I asked someone to marry me (all above board). She refused first explaining that she had been in a previous relationship and that she would be happy if she does not marry again. Also that I'm too good a person. I deserve someone better.:hmm: That she would hurt me if we marry. I couldn't underdstand any of it.

Then after Ramzan she agreed. I was going to meet her parents but now she is saying the samething as before. You guys are probably thinking move on.
- She is indecisive and does not know what she wants. If a girl first says no, then comes back and says yes and then when it's about to get serious with the families, she says no this is a clear sign of indecisiveness and the lack of being emotionally mature enough to make decisions. You don't want to spend your life with a girl who cannot be emotionally mature.

- She's going to raise your daughters - do you think these qualities are what you want in your kids?

- I'm not thinking move on. I'm thinking you need to figure a few things out right now. Do you really think this person is worth it? Not emotional talk (she's different to others etc), but tangible points of benefits of marrying her for your life, deen, and your future kids.

But I prayed Istikharah and I had a good feeling. I will pray it again. Also she is a good person - she worries alot and I reckon that she is still punishing herself about her relationship with another guy who she thought that she would marry.
- Istikharah isn't about feelings. It's about a decision you've made, and you ask Allah to make it work for you if good, and for it not to work if it's bad. That's all.

- I have no doubt she is a good person.

- She has emotional baggage and you need to think twice about whether you will be able to cope with for the rest of your life. These things do not go away overnight. This will effect your marriage and you will need to be prepared to invest much more emotionally to help her out of the demons of her past.

The reason why I want to continue is that she is different to other girls. She has many qualities and doesn't try impressing others or follow society etc.
- Every single bachelor thinks the girl he likes is different than other girls. I do that, everyone does that. The point is, she's not different to other girls. She's really the same. You're just assuming she is different because you like her. You're coming to a conclusion based on emotion and then rationalizing it by giving reasons to validate what you feel. This is an emotional judgement, not a rational one. It's not wrong, but I just want you to be aware of it.

So how can I advise her that she doesn't need to stop her life? just because she made a mistake and she has repented.
- You don't advice her. You can if you want, but I very much doubt it will have much of an effect. The reason is because you're speaking two different languages here. Your point is a rational one, completely valid, but her attachment to her past is an emotional one. You'll need to let it be. She has issues and she will need to work them out.

What do I say to her to convince her that she is OK to marry me? I mean she thinks I should marry someone better. Someone I deserve.
- There's no magic line that you can say to her and that will cause her to feel differently. You have to realize she's dealing with emotional baggage and you need to figure out whether you think it's a good idea to get into a relationship with an individual that is clearly going to carry it into the marriage. Can you cope with it? Forgive me for being blunt, but this is real talk, after you've been laid (which is really what every single-guy wants deep down), do you think you'll have the patience to constantly deal with her insecurities and emotional immaturity? This isn't simply about her past, her past is just a catalyst that is simply illustrating the way she deals with and handles situations. She might get over her past now or in a few years, but the way she deals with situations and issues will remain the same.

- You've given her the ball, it's in her court and it's her move. Take it back. Figure out what you want and make a decision.

- The real fact is there are a thousand other hotter, deenier, funner, cooler sisters out there - and guess what? They don't have insecurities or emotional baggage. If this doesn't work, you will get someone better insha'Allah. Think long-term.

Salahudeen
10-02-2011, 02:30 AM
Maybe she's indecisive cos she feels as if she's settling for second best by agreeing to marry you and doesn't know what to do, she was in love with a man whom she thought she'd marry, and then there's you, the guy who she'll just have to settle for while her heart is with the first guy, I think that's how she feels and that's why she said she'll hurt you, because she hasn't really stopped loving the first guy she was with, and you're just 2nd best in her eyes, she knows the right thing to do would be to marry you but her heart isn't in it, so she says "yes" cos it's the right thing to do but then her heart tells her "But I love the previous guy" so then she backs out cos she doesn't wanna do that to you. So the question is are you prepared to be 2nd best? I mean you want to be your wifes first love right? not the guy she settled for cos she couldn't get the one she wanted.

But all that ^ is speculation and the only way to find out what's going on is if she opens up to you, and tells you what she's thinking.

ardianto
10-02-2011, 05:12 PM
I just want abit of advice on how I can advise someone.
I am here.
Basically I asked someone to marry me (all above board). She refused first explaining that she had been in a previous relationship and that she would be happy if she does not marry again. Also that I'm too good a person. I deserve someone better. That she would hurt me if we marry. I couldn't underdstand any of it.
I don't know in exactly why she told you too good and you deserve someone better, because I don't know that girl.

But, based on similar case, I have an assumption (remember, this is just assumption), she is worry you cannot accept her because her previous relationship. It's seem like she has a guilty feeling on what that happened in her previous relationship, and it made her feel she is 'dirty' and not deserve for a good man like you.
Then after Ramzan she agreed. I was going to meet her parents but now she is saying the samething as before.
She started to believe you can accept her. But later she start to indecisive again.
You guys are probably thinking move on.
If I am in this situation I will not move on.
But I prayed Istikharah and I had a good feeling. I will pray it again.
Good.
Also she is a good person - she worries alot and I reckon that she is still punishing herself about her relationship with another guy who she thought that she would marry.
I can guess, she is a good person.
Basically all women are same. Uniquely, every woman is different.
So how can I advise her that she doesn't need to stop her life?
She doesn't need advice. What she need is a man who can accept her whatever happened on her in the past, however she is now.
just because she made a mistake and she has repented.
Nobody perfect. Some girls made a mistake and have repented.

And the question is, if you meet a girl like this, will you marry her ?. I don't know what is your answer. But if I am in this situation, I will marry her.

Marriage is not only for one night, but this is a relationship until the death comes. I do not marry someone's past. But I marry someone for the present and the future. So why if I marry a girl who made a mistake and has repented ?. Is it wrong ?. No ! it's not something wrong.
What do I say to her to convince her that she is OK to marry me? I mean she thinks I should marry someone better. Someone I deserve.
Tell her again you want to marry her. If she tell you again she is not deserve for a good man like you, tell her you can accept her however she is.

And if finally she tell you why she is always thinking she is not deserve for you, ... don't make a comment. Let her finish her story, then tell her "So why ? I still want to marry you".

Cabdullahi
10-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Ultimate rule!

+ Don't bother with a sister who has some guy in her mind

Tyrion
10-02-2011, 08:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by thequietone
Ultimate rule!

+ Don't bother with a sister who has some guy in her mind
Unless that guy is you. ;)

Cabdullahi
10-02-2011, 08:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion

Unless that guy is you. ;)
At the moment for me...marriage is unattainable...so that guy wont be me

nothing to do with finance...more like my nature and how i think

جوري
10-02-2011, 09:32 PM
What makes you guys think that what she said to him is missing something, or sinister in anyway

that I'm too good a person. I deserve someone better. That she would hurt me if we marry. I couldn't underdstand any of it.
and that this here isn't true? I have actually used those exact words on someone in 2004 and meant it. Just didn't feel ready for marriage and really thought he was a great catch otherwise and deserved to be happy & didn't think I could bring him the happiness he deserved. Not everything that a woman utters has some hidden agenda or another character (object of adoration) or is a form of projection. Sometimes it is what it is!

& Allah swt knows best, whatever the case if he has his heart on her I really do hope it works out for him insha'Allah..

Cabdullahi
10-02-2011, 10:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ßlµêßêll
What makes you guys think that what she said to him is missing something, or sinister in anyway

and that this here isn't true? I have actually used those exact words on someone in 2004 and meant it. Just didn't feel ready for marriage and really thought he was a great catch otherwise and deserved to be happy & didn't think I could bring him the happiness he deserved. Not everything that a woman utters has some hidden agenda or another character (object of adoration) or is a form of projection. Sometimes it is what it is!

& Allah swt knows best, whatever the case if he has his heart on her I really do hope it works out for him insha'Allah..

She refused first explaining that she had been in a previous relationship and that she would be happy if she does not marry again.
The sentence above is key for us to understand...how she's thinking and what she's thinking.

First scenario : She pretty much was in love with the previous guy...for some reason it didn't work and her not coming to terms with it has made her vow that she would never marry again

Second scenario : Had a previous relationship...it didn't work...dont feel like marrying anymore.

Third scenario : Had a previous relationship which was a bad experience...possibly abuse,fornication or infidelity..etc

the first and third situations seem like the most reasonable scenarios, so therefore i think because of what happened she possibly used the excuse below to distance herself from our brother anonymous, maybe she thought it would give her a bit of respite and that she could agree to marry our brother anonymous once she forgets what happened before and that's why the indecisiveness comes in:

The excuse
Also that I'm too good a person. I deserve someone better. That she would hurt me if we marry.
why this excuse?

Our brother has already come to the conclusion that in this instance it is not what it is and that she still is reminiscing, fantasizing (whatever you want to call it) about the previous guy

Also she is a good person - she worries alot and I reckon that she is still punishing herself about her relationship with another guy who she thought that she would marry.
'thought' is a key word...which could mean a lot of things

I have to reiterate that one should not bother with a person who has their mind on someone else...

جوري
10-02-2011, 10:40 PM
^^ that's guy speak you're over intellectualizing. Don't assume women speak in code just because the books say so!
I think you're over thinking it. She possibly has cold feet and doesn't want to hurt or be hurt at this particular moment in time, he seems like a nice guy and that makes her feel something for him but she is just not ready for it yet, it doesn't merit a scholarly thesis.. not that I am not impressed with the above believe me I applaud you, but you'll forgive that you seem like a guy who has been around women only in theory.

it is like all the medical students on rounds ready to dispense 23 differentials for unseasonably blue fingers .. NO it isn't cold agglutinin dz the guy just put his hands under his new blue Pajamas to keep them warm no need for the million dollar workup :p

Cabdullahi
10-02-2011, 10:51 PM
I'm not over intellectualizing.

She possibly has cold feet and doesn't want to hurt or be hurt at this particular moment in time, he seems like a nice guy and

Third scenario :She had a previous relationship which was a bad experience...possibly abuse,fornication or infidelity..etc

that makes her feel something for him but she is just not ready for it yet,
maybe she thought it would give her a bit of respite and that she could agree to marry our brother anonymous once she forgets what happened before.

thank you... for partially validating my scholarly thesis

anonymous
10-07-2011, 05:01 PM

Hmm. I did say it was sorted but reading all the above had made me more confused. But some top advice from everyone. A lot to think about.

Jazak'Allah-khair

:wa:

tigerkhan
10-10-2011, 05:18 PM
mine experience is, girls are too complex and very difficult to understand. u should make her clear that u had no pbm with her previous relation. even then if she is hesitant and reluctant, then leave her. bcz at this stage she is, i think refusing u bcz of some other reason. that reason maybe she dont like u or anything else and she dont want to hurt u so she is saying such. just my assumption bcz mine experience is girls mostly dont refuse person who they think i good person.

Riana17
10-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Salam Alaikkum Brother

Mashallah you know how to choose a potential good wife, alhamdollelah, May Allah reward you

Well what she's been saying is pretty normal and woman are really confuse especially when she thinks she has to punish herself, i think her niyyah is good, if she is opportunist she could have accept your proposal immediately, but then she didnt like to hurt you,

You need sabr and be very straight to the point, tell her your proposal and tell her you will wait till this time so & so & leave her alone for sometime to think over it.

Inshallah she will make the right decision and inshallah you will be blessed with a Muslimah wife.Amen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!