/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 'halal' to use Samaritan group?

Aishath
09-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Assalaamu alaykum,

Does anyone know if there is a problem (religion wise) if we use counseling groups like the Samaritans as an online source of help?

I just asked because I read this online: The Samaritans (Hebrew: שומרונים‎ Shomronim, Arabic: السامريون‎ as-Sāmariyyūn) are an ethnoreligious group of the Levant. Religiously, they are the adherents to Samaritanism, an Abrahamic religion closely related to Judaism. Based on the Samaritan Torah, Samaritans claim their worship is the true religion of the ancient Israelites prior to the Babylonian Exile, preserved by those who remained in the Land of Israel, as opposed to Judaism, which they assert is a related but altered and amended religion brought back by those returning from exile.

It's taken from Wikipedia.

I have used this website too in the past http://www.samaritans.org/ and just wondered if it was alright for me to gain advice from this group? They give good advice and all but I'm just curious?

May Allah (swt) bless you for your help.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snowflake
10-02-2011, 12:20 AM
:sl:

The Noble Qur'an: Al-Ma'idah 5:51
O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as 'Auliya' (friends, protectors, helpers etc.), they are but 'Auliya' to one another. And if any amongst you takes them as 'Auliya' then surely he is one of them. Verily, Allah guides not those people who are the Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers and unjust)."

It just makes sense that muslims shouldn't seek advice from any non muslim in matters which Islam has already given guidelines and solutions for. If I'm right the Samaritans offer advice relating to personal issues? If so advice based on non muslim views could be highly damaging to a less knowledgeable muslim as it could cause them to do something that is forbidden in Islam. Na udhu billah.

Salahudeen
10-02-2011, 03:22 AM
I think it would depend on what you're seeking advice/help for, I knew someone who was self harming who contacted them and they helped him to get help.

Aishath
10-02-2011, 08:04 PM
:sl:

Thank you for the responses. I'll take both those replies on board.

May Allah (swt) bless you both for the time you took to reply back. Ameen.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abz2000
10-02-2011, 10:36 PM
an intriguing lot.........

...............dunno if this related but since it's an islamic forum, i will add it just for the interesting account i found in the Quran which had me wondering:

So Moses returned to his people in a state of indignation and sorrow. He said: "O my people! did not your Lord make a handsome promise to you? Did then the promise seem to you long (in coming)? Or did ye desire that Wrath should descend from your Lord on you, and so ye broke your promise to me?"
87. They said: "We broke not the promise to thee, as far as lay in our power: but we were made to carry the weight of the ornaments of the (whole) people, and we threw them (into the fire), and that was what the Samiri suggested.
88. "Then he brought out (of the fire) before the (people) the image of a calf: It seemed to low: so they said: This is your god, and the god of Moses, but (Moses) has forgotten!"
89. Could they not see that it could not return them a word (for answer), and that it had no power either to harm them or to do them good?
90. Aaron had already, before this said to them: "O my people! ye are being tested in this: for verily your Lord is ((Allah)) Most Gracious; so follow me and obey my command."
91. They had said: "We will not abandon this cult, but we will devote ourselves to it until Moses returns to us."
92. (Moses) said: "O Aaron! what kept thee back, when thou sawest them going wrong,
93. "From following me? Didst thou then disobey my order?"
94. (Aaron) replied: "O son of my mother! Seize (me) not by my beard nor by (the hair of) my head! Truly I feared lest thou shouldst say, 'Thou has caused a division among the children of Israel, and thou didst not respect my word!'"
95. (Moses) said: "What then is thy case, O Samiri?"
96. He replied: "I saw what they saw not: so I took a handful (of dust) from the footprint of the Messenger, and threw it (into the calf): thus did my soul suggest to me."
97. (Moses) said: "Get thee gone! but thy (punishment) in this life will be that thou wilt say, 'touch me not'; and moreover (for a future penalty) thou hast a promise that will not fail: Now look at thy god, of whom thou hast become a devoted worshipper: We will certainly (melt) it in a blazing fire and scatter it broadcast in the sea!"
98. But the god of you all is the One Allah. there is no god but He: all things He comprehends in His knowledge. 99. Thus do We relate to thee some stories of what happened before: for We have sent thee a Message from Our own Presence.

Ancestrally, they claim descent from a group of Israelite inhabitants from the tribes of Ephraim and Manasseh (the two sons of Joseph) as well as some descendants from the priestly tribe of Levi,[3] who have connections to ancient Samaria from the period of their entry into the land of Canaan, while some suggest that it was from the beginning of the Babylonian Exile up to the Samaritan Kingdom of Baba Rabba. The Samaritans, however, derive their name not from this geographical designation, but rather from the Hebrew term Shamerim שַמֶרִים, "Keepers [of the Law]".[4]

Hamza Asadullah
10-19-2011, 11:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aileen
Assalaamu alaykum,

Does anyone know if there is a problem (religion wise) if we use counseling groups like the Samaritans as an online source of help?

I just asked because I read this online: The Samaritans (Hebrew: שומרונים‎ Shomronim, Arabic: السامريون‎ as-Sāmariyyūn) are an ethnoreligious group of the Levant. Religiously, they are the adherents to Samaritanism, an Abrahamic religion closely related to Judaism. Based on the Samaritan Torah, Samaritans claim their worship is the true religion of the ancient Israelites prior to the Babylonian Exile, preserved by those who remained in the Land of Israel, as opposed to Judaism, which they assert is a related but altered and amended religion brought back by those returning from exile.

It's taken from Wikipedia.

I have used this website too in the past http://www.samaritans.org/ and just wondered if it was alright for me to gain advice from this group? They give good advice and all but I'm just curious?

May Allah (swt) bless you for your help.
Asalaamu Alaikum, if the advice is purely for personal reasons and nothing to do with spirituality then that is fine. However if they ever cross the line and start talking to you about spirituality then you know to disregard such a group and never to seek advice from them again.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!