/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Where do you find your news?

Beardo
10-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Where do you find most of your news?

In my political science classes, there are students who are just SO up to date with the news and I'm just sitting there wondering where they're getting their information from because they're so well-versed, mashallah. Any tips?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
10-02-2011, 11:16 PM
whatreallyhappened.com

for the uk peeps

http://wideshut.co.uk/

GuestFellow
10-04-2011, 12:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo

In my political science classes, there are students who are just SO up to date with the news and I'm just sitting there wondering where they're getting their information from because they're so well-versed, mashallah. Any tips?
Asslamu Aliakum,

It does help to be interested in the subject. I do believe it is important to learn history and then keep up to date with the news. I get my information from documentaries, articles, debates, mainstream media and books.

Here are some interesting books:

1. Wall Street and the Rise of Hitler by Professor Antony C Sutton
2. Wall Street and the Bolshevik revolution by Professor Anthony C Sutton
3. The Grand Chessboard by Former National Security Adviser to the Carter Administration Zbigniew Brzezinski
4. Israel Lobby and US Foreign Policy by John Mearsheimer and Stephen Walt

For the mainstream media, it is important to get as many views as possible. I tend to get information from the BBC, CNN, Fox News, Al Jazeera, Press TV, RT News, France 24 news, Democracy Now, Real News Network and so on. You will begin to compare and contrast different views and see which are more reliable.

I tend to watch documentaries from VPROinternational, Al Jazeera and the BBC.

As for articles, my fav website is IPS (Inter Press Service)

Listen to lectures too from people like Noam Chomsky, Anthony C Sutton, Deepa Kumar, Michael Scheuer and so on...

ardianto
10-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Activists like those students always watch and collect news from every source, and they are always share those news with other activists in their network. And also they have links to reporters/journalists.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
User29123
10-04-2011, 02:20 PM

lol Have you tried this:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=News

Scimitar
10-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Thru comparative research... and even then, I don't like to form an opinion, unless I am convinced that I have been fair in my comparison and am convinced by what I believe to be the case.

I am also prepared to be "wrong".

joyous fairy
10-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Twitter :p

If you follow some of the big news channels/papers they usually give short tweets with a link to the main story which is good. I havent been on in ages though, Im not very up to date with the news, just randomly watch BBC, Sky news, Press TV and al Jazeera.

Darth Ultor
10-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Go to al-Jazeera English. Only news station that doesn't report inane bull****

Muezzin
10-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Google News gives you loads of news stories (or any you search for) from loads of sources.

Beardo
10-05-2011, 12:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PoweredByGoogle
lol Have you tried this:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=News
LOL SHUTUP! Get outta here rofl

User29123
10-05-2011, 12:59 PM

LOL SHUTUP! Get outta here rofl
lolz..but its true, just type "News" in Google lol..

I like Russia Today they give a real wide opinion and don't spread too much BS.

Jedi_Mindset
10-05-2011, 05:28 PM
I don't like news/media since they are all owned by the big companies/rich/zionists. Altough i find some sources from Presstv a iranian news channel.

Scimitar
10-05-2011, 05:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Boaz
Go to al-Jazeera English. Only news station that doesn't report inane bull****
Al Jazeera is reuters affiliated, and therefore biased. It employs a methodology with regard to social engineering which, when watched - separates the moderates form the radicals and therefore, allowing them estimate the dangers presented by the inhabitants of that country...

...It is very subtle, very clever, and full of bias - just like all news channels all over the world. Every single one. You want the truth? talk to the locals of said area... don't rely on media hype. I used to work in media. I know it well.

What do news channels hope to do? they hope to let you be indoctrinated by your own choosing, so you may form an opinion which they help to propagate...

This is a bias, a one eyed view of events. You will form opinion, and they work to let you form a misinformed opinion. That's the cold harsh truth.

Darth Ultor
10-05-2011, 06:24 PM
I never said it was unbiased, I said it didn't report BS.

Scimitar
10-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Define BS.

The thing with the news (even Al-Jazeera) is that it gives you half truths. That can be viewed as a bias, or as BS - either way it doesn't change the fact that it only reports a half truth.

If you want the whole truth, for even one isolated incident reported on the news - you'd have a tough time trying to find all the comparative avenues of study.

GuestFellow
10-05-2011, 08:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Define BS.

The thing with the news (even Al-Jazeera) is that it gives you half truths. That can be viewed as a bias, or as BS - either way it doesn't change the fact that it only reports a half truth.

If you want the whole truth, for even one isolated incident reported on the news - you'd have a tough time trying to find all the comparative avenues of study.
Salaam,

I think Boaz means that Al Jazeera is mature than compared to Fox news where everyone screams at each other and at their guests. If Al-Jazeera is biased (which it can be at times), it must be very subtle, because I have not spotted such bias.

Scimitar
10-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Maybe you haven't, granted. However, the bias / BS therein, is very subtle, like you have mentioned above me. It does exist, and it does serve to rile up the anger and hatred for the west.

Before Al Jazeera was reuters owned, it was probably the only news broadcaster in the world that threw out news - raw - unedited and without political agenda thrown in to vie for your opinion. Guess when it got reuters owned?

Gah, let me tell you. Shortly after 9/11 Al Jazeera was taken down because of political pressure. It then re-emerged close to year later as reuters affiliated. And that's when the bias, and clever trickery kicked in. Don't believe me? Go check it yourself bro.

Al Jazeera was the last stronghold of unbiased news broadcasting in the world circa 9/11... it fell from grace when it re-emerged as reuters affiliated. Sadly, the people of the Arabian sub-continent fail to realise the importance of the fitna, reuters brings... and that is what gets my goat about it all.

Wassalaam

Darth Ultor
10-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Okay, does al-Jazeera report on the personal lives of celebrities for days on end? Look what happened when Anna Nichole Smith and Michael Jackson died. All the American news stations were going on and on and on about it for weeks.

Scimitar
10-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Is Anna Nicole Smith and Michael Jackson part of Arabian culture? No. So why would they... strange logic you bring here Boaz.

Darth Ultor
10-05-2011, 09:52 PM
No, you're just not getting what I'm trying to say. The reporting on the celebrities personal lives the the US media does instead of the bigger things going on in the world is the BS I'm talking about.

Scimitar
10-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Aaaaah, ok. My apologies then. We got our wires crossed. :statisfie

Darth Ultor
10-05-2011, 09:57 PM
But you agree, right? It is incredibly annoying. When Michael Jackson died, there was a protest going on in Iran. I called CNN and told them that it's terrible that he died, but we have bigger problems now going on everywhere in the world. Made me stop watching American news entirely.

Scimitar
10-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Yes, I agree... I also have to add a lot more here but I am kinda busy atm. So once I free up, I'll post my 2 dinars worth.

EDIT: Thanks for waiting Boaz.

Ok, America. Gosh. I can write an entire essay on the subject of media indoctrination alone. But you know, I'll just let you see the results of it instead.

Let's talk about why they keep the public dumbed down, shall we? In a word? Patriotism. If the American news broadcasters showed the public exactly what was going in the world, they'd lose the support of all the American populus. Entirely. USA is the one country which prides itself in unjustified patriotic nationalism, over all other countries... The trick they pull off is - keep the public dumbed down with news about issues pertaining to entertainment, and they won't ask questions about what's happening around the world. They won't even know the world exists, and see the rest of it as barbaric and backwards. What a sham. I can go on and on... but I won't.

Scimitar
10-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Derp, bump. Here you go Boaz^

truthseeker63
10-14-2011, 09:49 PM
I read the Newspapers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspaper

truthseeker63
10-14-2011, 10:08 PM
I read the NyTimes even though I view the Time Newspaper as biased.

GuestFellow
10-14-2011, 10:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Boaz
But you agree, right? It is incredibly annoying. When Michael Jackson died, there was a protest going on in Iran. I called CNN and told them that it's terrible that he died, but we have bigger problems now going on everywhere in the world. Made me stop watching American news entirely.
It is would be wise to continue monitoring American news and compare it with other mainstream media. You will be able to compare different views. The American mainstream media does highlight controversial issues that other forms of media do not cover...

Iconodule
10-15-2011, 07:18 PM
I follow BBC and Al-Jazeera

Abz2000
10-15-2011, 10:22 PM
infowars.com
globalresearch.ca
islamic forums

although i think infowars.com has it's own agenda for a portion of full spectrum dominance,
so i believe does al-jazeera,
they target different classes of people on different knowledge curves
but they always have a channel or syndicate for you, no matter how informed you are. (e.g glenn beck), then they spin it off in the direction best suited for the target audience.

reading the protocols should give one an idea of how putting stooge leaders at the head of every up and coming revolution can pay dividends - even if it means they knock the agenda to a certain extent.

Scimitar
10-15-2011, 10:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abz2000
infowars.com
globalresearch.ca
islamic forums

although i think infowars.com has it's own agenda for a portion of full spectrum dominance,
so i believe does al-jazeera,
they target different classes of people on different knowledge curves
but they always have a channel or syndicate for you, no matter how informed you are. (e.g glenn beck), then they spin it off in the direction best suited for the target audience.
One word bro: Methodology. Loved your post. The fact remains, all news is manipulated, for very biased reasons. So yeah, sometimes we have to look at both extremes, just to find the middle ground. Only thing is, sometimes when we do that, comparatively - all we get is a neutral result, which leaves us baclk at square one lol.

Either way, I have managed to make contact with brothers across the globe in key areas, if the need arises, I can always just ask them what the situation is - and that for me, proves to be a much more reliable source than the media bias. Ofcourse, the bias will still exist when I ask these people, but nowhere to the level it exists in the media circus. Also, the fact that I can question these people and deduce from there is an advantage - whereas - with the propagated media, all I can do is choose to believe it, or not believe it. And I don't believe it... not after having worked in the media for over 12 years.

Abz2000
10-16-2011, 01:02 AM
since you're into newspapers you may hear more than many of us - from what i've heard so far and followed from their slant, the telegraph is almost openly an mi5/mi6 newspaper, remember con coughlin?

which then turned out to be total B.S...

they used to go around finding stories related to their agenda, now they seem to go around gauging public sentiment, sit down at meetings, and then totally make up news stories in conference rooms in order to mislead people and direct that sentiment - or sometimes getting actors to play out scenarios just to be able to report on them. (remember the kuwait incubator sob story by the diplomat's daughter? she was actually trained by a pr firm).

i put a video together a few years back:

Pygoscelis
10-17-2011, 01:13 PM
I get my Canadian and world news from the CBC, mostly shows like The Current and As It Happens. Great shows. For podcasts just google cbc radio.

I get my US news mostly from Jon Stewart :p He seems to be the best news source in the USA, which is sad, as he's a comedian!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!