/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do you swear?

Darth Ultor
10-04-2011, 03:39 PM
I won't call myself a foul mouth, but to use my mom's description, my language is pretty seasoned.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noorseeker
10-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Im known for not swearing, Especially around non muslims, its a way of giving dawah.

But yh sure under my breath here and there, or on my own when i get frustrated when i cant find something

but i realise what im doing and stop

Darth Ultor
10-04-2011, 03:55 PM
However, I never swear in front of the elderly, clergy, in a house of worship, or around little kids even if I'm frustrated. But that's good that you don't at all.

joyous fairy
10-04-2011, 03:57 PM
I dont swear. I used to swear occassionaly when I was in school but not that much.

I reallllly get annoyed when I hear people swearing. It just sounds horrible to me.

I know people who swear in nearly every sentence and it makes me cringe. :heated: and I tell them to stop so they stop for a while but then carry on later. :omg:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Darth Ultor
10-04-2011, 04:00 PM
What I hate is hearing little kids swear. I'm like, "Whoa, even in my time they didn't start that young."

alhamdulilaah
10-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Never, even if the earth goes upside down.

However, I am a person who is careful in normal talk also.And then we know:

مَّا يَلْفِظُ مِن قَوْلٍ إِلَّا لَدَيْهِ رَقِيبٌ عَتِيدٌ ﴿١٨

Man does not utter any word except that with him is an observer prepared [to record]. (18)

Surah Qaf

GuestFellow
10-04-2011, 04:08 PM
I do swear but not a lot. I tend to swear when I'm very angry and I can be quite mean. Some people think I'm a quiet person, so it does shock them when I lose my temper and start swearing. I have low tolerance for prospective employers, especially those who are fake or ask stupid interview questions...

Who Am I?
10-04-2011, 04:24 PM
I make sailors blush. In several languages.

It's something I am trying to work on.

Pure Purple
10-04-2011, 04:32 PM
I don't swear. But I see people swearing at petty things .They don't​ realise what they are saying.:hmm:

إحسان
10-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Not much. So I'd say occasionally. It's usually the s-word... nothing more than that really. But unfortunately people in my school are extremely foul-mouthed so I hear curses every where I go. :hmm:

When I watched this lecture a year back, it had made me more conscious of my words, and had made me aware of the consequences of swearing.

Ansariyah
10-04-2011, 05:05 PM
I have weird substitutes for most swear words, sometimes I make up words or I usually stick to fudge.:p

But recently I did something that was completely out of my control seriously, I was shocked afterwards.:muddlehea

These Douchebags driving almost ran me over and when I quickly moved they laughed at me honked like crazy and shouted '%%%% Islam'

I made eye contact with them and I was like %%%% YOU and I stuck the middle finger at them...they made a surprised face and drove away. That probably didn't match my hijab or my innocent look but I had to teach these suckers a lesson.

They nearly ran me over, Alhamdulilah Allah saved me.=)

GuestFellow
10-04-2011, 05:08 PM
^ I can imagine you chasing after them on a motorbike, carrying a chainsaw in one hand and a rocket launcher on the other whilst screaming, "this is SPARTA"...

Yes, my imagination is weird...

Ansariyah
10-04-2011, 05:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
^ I can imagine you chasing after them on a motorbike, carrying a chainsaw in one hand and a rocket launcher on the other whilst screaming, "this is SPARTA"...

Yes, my imagination is weird...
lol! It's on, gimme a RPG!:nervous:

I wanted to hurt them and throw eggs in their faces. Argghh.

Muezzin
10-04-2011, 05:27 PM
I swear occasionally astagfirullah. Not usually in public, or at work etc, unless I'm very stressed. One of the only times I have sworn at work, everyone was shocked. I blamed it on Tourette's.

Hilarity ensued.

GuestFellow
10-04-2011, 07:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah

lol! It's on, gimme a RPG!:nervous:

I wanted to hurt them and throw eggs in their faces. Argghh.
I admire your courage but it was dangerous. They could have hurt since they were driving.... :skeleton:

Anyway, glad to hear that nothing bad happened.

Endymion
10-04-2011, 07:57 PM
I dont exactly remember if i ever swear,may be when i was a kid :hmm: When i want people to give it extra importance,i just said,"Believe me,that is true" and people usually believe me as i seldom speak lie Alhamdulillah :statisfie

Yanoorah,ROFL,sometimes i also want to react almost the same and believe me i do,when every thing went over,i came back home and still offended,i do it in my imagination :p

Seldom i talk back and people get surprised.Majority of people around me thinks i dont even talk :giggling:

GuestFellow
10-04-2011, 08:00 PM
^ Salaam,

Your from Pakistan right? Most girls from Pakistan never swear from my experience. VERY quiet when they are around me.

Endymion
10-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Not a secret any more ~Sigh~ :hmm:

Salahudeen
10-05-2011, 12:07 AM
When people behave rudely with me I am guilty of getting angry and using bad words, I just can't stand being talked down to, it gets me really annoyed and I end up saying stuff, when I'm in this mode I only have 1 thing on my mind, and that is to hurt the other person for treating me in a bad way :hmm: I need to overcome this problem.

'Abd Al-Maajid
10-05-2011, 02:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
I do swear but not a lot. I tend to swear when I'm very angry and I can be quite mean. Some people think I'm a quiet person, so it does shock them when I lose my temper and start swearing.
Ditto.

I swear when I am angry at people who annoy me or tease me...usually my friends lol. However I think either before swearing or after swearing that it is wrong and I should refrain from doing it.

Reflections
10-05-2011, 06:57 AM
Occaisonally yes..If my anger gets the better of me..but I don't say it to anyones face..under my breath (or in my head?)....or what I do..say 'flower off' when it comes to being around little kiddies ..it's not nice swearing...especially when someones like 'I effin want some effin food effin now'..what's all that about :/

taz...
10-05-2011, 11:10 AM
swearing is a gross habit. so i don't.......but i'm human, and sometimes, it slips out........but only when i'm really angry :raging:
otherwise i'm generally a HAPPY person, pretty perky, lol....
last time i went to britain, i was pretty taken aback by all the awearing, its considered as a normal part of the language there (i'm not referring to EVERYONE) i think you'll agree that its a common practice.
certain swear words are used a adjectives :hmm:
people seriously need to increase their vocabulary range.......;D....kidding

'Abd Al-Maajid
10-05-2011, 11:43 AM
I used to send announcements on SameTime to the my team when an application goes down or runs slow...
"D amn! Remedy is running slow as slug!!!" ;D;D

User29123
10-05-2011, 01:08 PM
I swear a lot nearly in every sentence when I am speaking...

joyous fairy
10-05-2011, 01:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PoweredByGoogle
I swear a lot nearly in every sentence when I am speaking...
How comes? Has it become a habit and its hard to stop?

Usually I find the more people swear, the more angrier they become.

User29123
10-05-2011, 01:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by joyous fairy

How comes? Has it become a habit and its hard to stop?

Usually I find the more people swear, the more angrier they become.
Yup become a habit and hard to stop in fact I do not realize I swear someone needs to tell me that I swore.

joyous fairy
10-05-2011, 02:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PoweredByGoogle
Yup become a habit and hard to stop in fact I do not realize I swear someone needs to tell me that I swore.
Oh, that bad huh?

Maybe have a money box where you put money in everytime you swear? Some people find that helps.

Abz2000
10-05-2011, 04:15 PM
it can be therapeutic - (instead of pulling your hair out or getting depressed).
although we are told to avoid it - it is evil,
there are exceptions though,

Allah loveth not that evil should be noised abroad in public speech, except where injustice hath been done; for Allah is He who heareth and knoweth all things.
Quran 4:148

The prohibited month for the prohibited month,- and so for all things prohibited,- there is the law of equality.
If then any one transgresses the prohibition against you, Transgress ye likewise against him.
But fear Allah, and know that Allah is with those who restrain themselves.
Quran 2:194

When the Prophet (pbuh) approached their forts of Quraydhah (the tribe who had almost betrayed him to the Quraysh), he said:
"You brothers of monkeys, has Allah disgraced you and brought his vengeance upon you?"
No doubt who's master of insulting. They replied: "Oh Abul-Qasim, you are not a barbarious person."
Out-insulted, the Jews react instead to the threat of vengeance with a bit of appeasement.

Hadith - Mishkat Al-Masabih, Vol. 2, p. 1021
The Prophet

said on the authority of Ubayy Bin Ka'b:
"If anyone proudly asserts his descent in the manner of the pre-Islamic people, tell him to bite his father's penis, and do not use a euphemism".
(A euphemism is the substitution of a mild, inoffensive, relatively uncontroversial phrase for another more frank expression that might offend or otherwise suggest something unpleasant to the audience). :)

Tabari VII:121 wahshi is reported to have said:

"I saw Hamzah cutting down men with his sword, sparing no one. He yelled out to us, 'Come here, you son of a cutter-off of clitorises.' He hit Siba so swiftly, his sword could not be seen striking his head. ..........

Ishaq:385 "Hind [a Meccan woman who had lost her father, husband, son, and brother to Muhammad's raiders at Badr] stopped to mutilate the Muslim dead, cutting off their ears and noses until she was able to make anklets and necklaces of them. Then she ripped open Hamzah's body for his liver and chewed it. Then she climbed a high rock and screamed rajaz poetry at the top of her voice, taunting us. 'We have paid you back for Badr. A war that follows a war is always violent. I could not bear the loss of Utba nor my brother, his uncle, or my first-born son. I have slaked my vengeance and fulfilled my vow.' Umar [the future leader of the Islamic world] recited these verses back to her: 'The vile woman was insolent, and she was habitually base with disbelief. May Allah curse Hind, she with the large clitoris. ...Her backside and her genitals are covered with ulcers as a result of spending too much time in the saddle. Did you set out seeking to avenge our killing of your father and your son at Badr? And for your husband, who was wounded in the backside, lying in his blood, and your brother, all of them coated in the grime of the pit. What a foul deed you committed. Woe to you Hind, the shame of the age.'"

when the Prophet (pbuh) was setting out for pilgrimage with his companions - the Meccans sent out delegations to prevent him, he was prepared to fight if necessary, Urwa bin Mas'ud was sent out as an envoy:

Ishaq:502 "Muhammad, you have collected a mixed group of people and brought them to your kin to destroy them.
By Allah, I see both prominent people and rabble who are likely to flee, deserting you tomorrow.'
Now Abu Bakr (ra) who was standing behind the Messenger, said, 'Go suck the clitoris of Al-Lat!'"

As an insult to a kafir who had bad-mouthed the Prophet SAW.

He meant it as the worst insult. To degrade them. To show them that they were the lowest of the low, that they'd stoop to such a filthy act.
these were normal down to earth people who strove for the right - but were just as human as you and i.

marwen
10-05-2011, 09:22 PM
This thread is really embarrassing

highway4
10-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Assalamu Alaikum,

In a long Hadith reported by Tirmizi, Ahmed, and Ibn Majah; Mu’adh narrated that "The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) mentioned to him what brings him closer to Paradise and what makes him be farther from the Hellfire, and then he told him: “Shall I not inform you of what controls all that.” Mu’adh said: “Please tell me O! Prophet of Allah (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam)”. So the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) took his tongue (with his fingers) and told him: “Restraint this one.” Then Mu’adh said: “O! Prophet of Allah (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam), are we held accountable for what we say.”

its common sense that swearing isn't a positive habit...
generally it causes more harm then it inflicts any good to oneself or to others...
If that's the case why bother..

You can change habits but its up to you...

IslamicRevival
10-06-2011, 06:35 AM
I try not to..but thats the least of my worries at the moment

highway4
10-06-2011, 07:47 AM
assalamu alaikum,
i believe that one should keep in mind that anything you do or say in life in which there is good then do it....never take a small deed as insignificant because you do no if the last smallest deed could save you at the end...or how much something you have said or an action could actually contribute and make a difference....

Amat Allah
10-06-2011, 12:04 PM
a precious sister of ours asked me to post this reply:

السلام عليكم

Swearing (foul language) is a disgusting habit and totally uncool.

It is one of the characteristics of a hypocrite as indicated in the hadith below;Narrated ‘Abdullah bin ‘Amr:
The Prophet :arabic5: said, “Whoever has (the following) four characters will be a hypocrite, and whoever has one of the following four characteristics will have one characteristic of hypocrisy until he gives it up. These are: (1 ) Whenever he talks, he tells a lie; (2) whenever he makes a promise, he breaks it; (3) whenever he makes a covenant he proves treacherous; (4) and whenever he quarrels, he behaves impudently in an evil insulting manner.” (See Hadith No. 33 Vol. 1) {Volume 3, Book 43, Number 639: Sahih Bukhari}

Please let us not disclose our sins, may Allaah forgive us and help us all to quit any use of foul language (no matter what the situation).Prophet Muhammad [peace & blessings of Allah be upon him] said, "All the sins of my followers will be forgiven except those of the Mujahirin (those who commit a sin openly or disclose their sins to the people).

An example of such disclosure... is that a person commits a sin at night and though Allah screens it from the public, then he comes in the morning, and says, 'O so-and-so, I did such-and-such (evil) deed yesterday,' though he spent his night screened by his Lord (none knowing about his sin) and in the morning he removes Allah's screen from himself." [Bukhari V8.B73#].

Snowflake
10-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Finally.. not that public anyway ^o)

Please let us not disclose our sins, may Allaah forgive us and help us all to quit any use of foul language (no matter what the situation).Prophet Muhammad [peace & blessings of Allah be upon him] said, "All the sins of my followers will be forgiven except those of the Mujahirin (those who commit a sin openly or disclose their sins to the people).

Insaanah
10-06-2011, 06:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
This thread is really embarrassing

I quite agree.

format_quote Originally Posted by abz2000
Hadith - Mishkat Al-Masabih, Vol. 2, p. 1021
The Prophet

said on the authority of Ubayy Bin Ka'b:
"If anyone proudly asserts his descent in the manner of the pre-Islamic people, tell him to bite his father's penis, and do not use a euphemism".
(A euphemism is the substitution of a mild, inoffensive, relatively uncontroversial phrase for another more frank expression that might offend or otherwise suggest something unpleasant to the audience). :)
We need to be veeeeeeeeeeery careful of what we attribute to the prophet :saws:, especially when copying and pasting translations of hadeeth, in English. Although my Arabic is not good, I have come across two hadeeths in the past, where people have taken the wrong meanings from them, because a word in each was translated wrongly, and the original Arabic text did not imply what the English translation said.

Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allah be pleased with him), said: "Learn Arabic for it is part of your Deen...." (part of a longer saying, quoted in Iqtidaa‘us-Siraatil-Mustaqeem 2/207 by Ibn Taymiyyah). And we can see just how important this is.

The actual Arabic text of the part highlighted in bold in the quote is: "فأعضوه بهن أبيه ولا تكنوا""

The Arabic text of the hadeeth is a figure of speech, and the provided translation is inaccurate, as the translation is literal, which has caused the intended meaning to be lost. The underlined first word means "bite" but in the context of this sentence it means "stick to" and this is one of the meanings of this word in Arabic. The second word highlighted in bold, means "penis" but it does not actually give the meaning of "penis" here, since it is used to refer to the "semen" that is inside it. So the actual statment means in correct translation: "He who is proud of his origins in a manner that is similar to the era of pre-Islam, let him stay next to his father's semen [i.e. let him remember that his actual origin is a filthy semen].

Source: http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/showp...54&postcount=5
Full page: http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/showthread.php?t=9729

I am very embarrassed to have to make this post, but I feel that clarification must be made as to the meaning, because we have to make sure we do not attribute to Rasoolullah :saws: something he did not say, especially when it is something of the above nature, and there are stern warnings by him against this.

And Allah knows best in all matters, and may He forgive me if I said anything wrong.

:sl:

Abz2000
10-06-2011, 08:02 PM
thanks for that update sis - i just came across it and thought i'd add some info i'd come across in order to contribute to the thread, apologies to Allah first, then everyone else for any mistakes.

one thing i was curious about.......

format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
The actual Arabic text of the part highlighted in bold in the quote is: "فأعضوه بهن أبيه ولا تكنوا""
ولا تكنوا

what would this translate as? because i was told by many sources that it means "euphemism",
A euphemism is the substitution of a mild, inoffensive, relatively uncontroversial phrase
for another more frank expression that might offend or otherwise suggest something unpleasant to the audience.

Example:
The substitution of an inoffensive term (such as "passed away")
for one considered offensively explicit ("died").

so would
let him stay next to his father's semen
not be a euphimism for the actual words?

would there not be a reason why the messenger (pbuh) actually added that at the end?

the reason why i believed it to be the case is because:

1. i am aware that the Prophet (pbuh) severely disliked rasicm and it would make sense that he would make sure people didn't consider it by making them feel less inclined to it.

2. the Prophets were human and used the speech of humans - and did use language which would be considered "undesirable" in other circumstances when it was necessary to express themselves.

لُعِنَ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا مِن بَنِي إِسْرَائِيلَ عَلَىٰ لِسَانِ دَاوُودَ وَعِيسَى ابْنِ مَرْيَمَ ۚذَ*ٰلِكَ بِمَا عَصَوا وَّكَانُوا يَعْتَدُونَ
كَانُوا لَا يَتَنَاهَوْنَ عَن مُّنكَرٍ فَعَلُوهُ ۚ لَبِئْسَ مَا كَانُوا يَفْعَلُونَ

Curses were pronounced on those among the Children of Israel who rejected Faith, by the tongue of David and of Jesus the son of Mary:
because they disobeyed and persisted in excesses.
Nor did they (usually) forbid one another the iniquities which they committed: evil indeed were the deeds which they did.
Quran 5:78-79

anyone who may be of the previous scripture - here are some references:

ATTRIBUTED TO JESUS (PBUH)
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous,
And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.
Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets.
Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.You serpents, you generation of vipers, how can you escape the ****ation of hell?
Matthew 23:29-33

ATTRIBUTED TO DAVID (PBUH) (SPEAKING IN PROPHECY)
For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
Psalm 22:16

Attributed to Isaiah (pbuh) as revealed
1. The Righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart: and merciful men are taken away,

none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come.

2. He shall enter into peace: they shall rest in their beds, each one walking in his uprightness.

3. But draw near hither, ye sons of the adulterer and the wh0re.

4. Against whom do ye sport yourselves?

Against whome make ye a wide mouth, and draw out the tongue?

Are ye not the children of transgression, a seed of falsehood,

5. Enflaming yourselves with idols under every green tree,

Slaying the children in the valleys under the clefts of rocks?

ISAIAH 57 : 1-5

basically - it looks to me that the words were used put into context the fact that the deeds which were being rebuked were vile, and the words may degrade the deeds.
i am NOT saying it is good to always use them, but that it has been used, and that the Prophet (pbuh) is not reported to have rebuked Abu Bakr (ra) when he struck back with his tongue at the one who was trying to degrade the Prophet (pbuh) and his companions.

They ask thee concerning fighting in the Prohibited Month.
Say: "Fighting therein is a grave (offence);
but graver is it in the sight of Allah
to prevent access to the path of Allah, to deny Him, to prevent access to the Sacred Mosque, and drive out its members." Tumult and oppression are worse than fighting.
Nor will they cease fighting you until they turn you back from your faith if they can. And if any of you Turn back from their faith and die in unbelief, their works will bear no fruit in this life and in the Hereafter; they will be companions of the Fire and will abide therein.

i try to avoid bad language - but if someone wrongs me or says anything about my Prophet - i can be quite colourful.
i do NOT turn the other cheek.
In the Law of Equality there is (saving of) Life to you, O ye men of understanding; that ye may restrain yourselves.
Quran 4:179

Will ye not fight people who violated their oaths, plotted to expel the Messenger, and took the aggressive by being the first (to assault) you? Do ye fear them? Nay, it is Allah Whom ye should more justly fear, if ye believe!
14. Fight them, and Allah will punish them by your hands, cover them with shame, help you (to victory) over them, heal the breasts of Believers,
15. And still the indignation of their hearts. For Allah will turn (in mercy) to whom He will; and Allah is All-Knowing, All-Wise.
Quran 9:13-15

Abu Dharr in Makkah:
Chapter 28 : THE MERITS OF ABU DHARR (ALLAH BE PLEASED WITH HIM)
Sahih Muslim - Book 31, Number 6046:
Abdullah b. Samit reported that Abu Dharr said...........
...........It was during this time that the people of Mecca slept in the moonlit night and none was there to eircumambulate the House but only two women who had been invoking the name of Isafa, and Na'ila (the two idols). They came to me while in their circuit and I said: Marry one with the other, but they did not dissuade from their invoking. They came to me and I said to them : Insert wood (in the idols' private parts). (I said this to them in such plain words) as I could not express in metaphorical terms. These women went away crying and saying: Had there been one amongst our people (he would have taught a lesson to you for the obscene words used for our idols before us). These women met Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) and Abu Bakr who had also been coming down the hill. He asked them: What has happened to you? They said: There is Sabi, who has hidden himself between the Ka'ba and its curtain. He said: What did he say to you? They said: He uttered such words before us as we cannot express. Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) came and he kissed the Black Stone and circumambulated the House along with his Companion and then observed prayer, and when he had finished his prayer, Abu Dharr said: I was the first to greet him with the salutation of peace and uttered (these words) in this way; Allah's Messen- ger, may there be peace upon you, whereupon he said: It may be upon you too and the mercy of Allah. He then said: Who are you ? I said: From the tribe of Ghifar. He leaned his hand and placed his finger on his forehead and I said to myself: Perhaps he has not liked it that I belong to the tribe of Ghifar. I attempted to catch hold of his hand but his friend who knew about him more than I dissuaded me f rom doing so. He then lifted his head and said: Since how long have you been here? I said: I have been here for the last thirty nights or days. He said: Who has been feeding you ? I said: There has been no food for me but the water of Zamzam. I have grown so bulky that there appear wrinkles upon my stomach and I do not feel any hunger. He said: It is blessed (water) and it also serves as food. Thereupon Abu Bakr said: Allah's Messenger, let me serve as a host to him for tonight, and then Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) proceeded forth and so did Abu Bakr and I went along with them........... :)

Galaxy
10-07-2011, 01:20 AM
Kids at my high school swear a lot and I find myself swearing

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!