/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Reputation system?

May Ayob
10-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Peace and Blessings be to all; Salaam :)

One thing that is really disturbing is the reputation system;I mean when someone says and writes something they should do it for God Right? Well this reputation system isn't helping in that manner because when one writes an answer or whatever the shaytan keeps telling them to go to their settings and see if anyone gave them reputation point. I recall a Hadeeth or a duaa the says :' Oh Lord we seek refuge of you from reputation and obstentation ( Riyaa)' I hope the officials in the board review this system I don't think it has much benefit.

Hopefully my point of view is understood, I hope I didn't have any evil intentions regarding this message but I've noticed it really affected the well-being of my heart.

Salaam alaikum wa rahmatu Allah wa maghfiratuhu wa ridwanuhu wa barakatuhu :)

Peace and Blessings.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salahudeen
10-05-2011, 07:15 PM
You do have some valid points.

Jalal~
10-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Same thing goes with the "likes". Well in my case anyways. I find myself trying to post witty facebook statuses just to get some attention and a bunch of likes.
I feel like the little bit of praise i get from all these likes causes me to be so arrogant and prideful sometimes....

May Ayob
10-06-2011, 06:39 AM
Salaam :)

format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
You do have some valid points.
Thank you. I think it kind of gets frustrating because at some point all that matters at any board is how many reputation points you get, isn't really fair.

format_quote Originally Posted by halalmeat4free
Same thing goes with the "likes". Well in my case anyways. I find myself trying to post witty facebook statuses just to get some attention and a bunch of likes.
I feel like the little bit of praise i get from all these likes causes me to be so arrogant and prideful sometimes...
Tell me about it... I had the same problem and sometimes it feels like it affects your heart, I like IslamicBoard.com but the reputation system isn't working very well with me. Then again may be I'm just making too much out of nothing, I wouldn't be surprised if someone thinks that I'm taking things like these too seriously I guess many people will have differing opinion which I must respect.

Many thanks for replying, I thought I wouldn't get any.

P/S- anyone who reads this thread - I ask you for the sake of God do not give me any reputation points and I will deeply appreciate because you're helping me a long way.

Jazakum Allah khair

Salaam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Jalal~
10-06-2011, 09:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by May Ayob
P/S- anyone who reads this thread - I ask you for the sake of God do not give me any reputation points and I will deeply appreciate because you're helping me a long way.

Jazakum Allah khair
same for me please!

Galaxy
10-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Yeah I agree

Innocent Soul
10-07-2011, 02:16 PM
^ OK :), We can simply make dua silently for people who don't want reps :statisfie.

Dagless
10-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Interesting topic but you could look at it another way:

Without rep how do we know if the information we get is from a reliable forum member or just someone out to misinform people? There are people on this forum who sometimes say things indirectly and only after a few posts you realise that maybe they are not what they seem. By having rep you can usually tell to some extent whether the information you're getting is ok or if it's just someone out to troll. This is similar to how one acquires a good/bad reputation in life.

Without likes how can you tell which opinion is most accepted amongst the forum members? Lets say there are 2 conflicting posts. Rather than have 100 members writing to support one of the other post, it is easy to see fairly quickly which view is supported amongst members. It may not be the correct view but it shows popularity of certain ideas amongst this group of Muslims.

I think riyaa is only connected to acts of worship (is this correct?) and so maybe those topics which are directly related to worship shouldn't be repped? I suppose it depends on intention... though imo the support/validation of ideas is not necessarily a bad thing.

SFatima
10-07-2011, 05:43 PM
:sl:

For me reputation does not matter much, if i get it, good, if i don't, its all good, I dont check my reputation for days..it isn't that important to me ( but well sometimes when I'm sad its a good mood booster to look at them :D ) ..but sometimes I do feel like leaving some comment or share some info with the person regarding a post which I share in the reputation..

Also, appreciation and praise are quite encouraged in Islam, ours is a deen which starts with the praise of Allah subhanao talla, there are numerous hadiths showing the Prophet Muhammad saww praising a person for his qualities, as it really strengthens your good qualities, and builds your confidence, we all need some of that from time to time.

Endymion
10-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Assalam Alekum Dearest May and its truly nice to have you back once again :statisfie

At one point,you are right.Did you read this incident about the famous saint woman "Rabia Basari",sister ^o)

One day, she was seen running through the streets of Basra carrying a torch in one hand and a bucket of water in the other. When asked what she was doing, she said,"I want to put out the fires of Hell, and burn down the rewards of Paradise. They block the way to God. I do not want to worship from fear of punishment or for the promise of reward, but simply for the love of God."

Indeed,Allah SWT is the one who deserve all praise,all worship and we need to worship him just because He SWT deserve that,but do we ^o) Are we capable of doing this :hmm:

The answer is simply,No.This is the rank of Aulia Allah's only that they worship Allah SWT because He SWT deserve it.And we,we worship him because we need Jannah and our worldly wishes to be fulfilled and to be saved from hell fire.When i make doaa for myself,i ask Allah SWT to make me worship him just because He SWT deserve all praises but just after that,i ask Allah SWT to give me this and give me that.

Actually,this is in human nature.We all need rewards,apriciation to go forward.These things encourage us.And Allah SWT himself invite us to call him with greed,with longing.

(7:56) Anddo not make mischief in the earth after it has been set in order, and call upon Him with fear and longing. Surely Allah's mercy is close to those who do good.

Allah SWT know we are weak and we need such things to refresh our selves,to feel energetic and Muhammad SA also appriciate his companions so they become fast in good deeds.

Talking about internet,hardly few of us know each other in person.The connection between us is the connection of words.If we do not make each other feel that we like their words,their thoughts and whatever way they contribute,how will the other one know.
You remember Brother Al-Yunan.He wrote 2 very beautiful poems for me.Now he is not with us but his words are with me.I always remember him for his beautiful words he wrote for me and i keep him in my doaa like i do for my relatives just because he made me felt special.So,these are words my sister,who tell others how much we love them and these tools are to make them aware we like them and care about them.I like these tools and i need tem in my life :statisfie And i want to tell all my friends and Brothers and Sisters in Islam that i like their words and i love them and care about them before its too late :statisfie

.iman.
10-07-2011, 07:04 PM
I think you have good points, sister, but I wouldn't take the "rep system" to heart. I never really understood the reasoning behind it - I never actually look at rep points or rep power when reading posts from other members, but rather I pay more attention to when they joined, for example someone that has been around for awhile wouldn't be a troll because they would have their account deleted. I don't really see the problem with it because I don't think it has negative effects on us, or separates our ummah in any way. The thing to remember on the forum is that we are all here because we love Islam (or want to find out more about Islam), not to raise our 'reputation' online.

Maryan0
10-08-2011, 02:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by May Ayob
Peace and Blessings be to all; Salaam :)

One thing that is really disturbing is the reputation system;I mean when someone says and writes something they should do it for God Right? Well this reputation system isn't helping in that manner because when one writes an answer or whatever the shaytan keeps telling them to go to their settings and see if anyone gave them reputation point. I recall a Hadeeth or a duaa the says :' Oh Lord we seek refuge of you from reputation and obstentation ( Riyaa)' I hope the officials in the board review this system I don't think it has much benefit.

Hopefully my point of view is understood, I hope I didn't have any evil intentions regarding this message but I've noticed it really affected the well-being of my heart.

Salaam alaikum wa rahmatu Allah wa maghfiratuhu wa ridwanuhu wa barakatuhu :)

Peace and Blessings.
I've never thought of it this way but I agree 100%. I was going to like your post but it kind of defeats the point you were trying to make...
Salam

taz...
10-08-2011, 07:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by halalmeat4free
I feel like the little bit of praise i get from all these likes causes me to be so arrogant and prideful sometimes....
simply don't facebook.
at some point it becomes all about the likes and the commments on pics and statuses. just waste of life if you ask me.

As far as reputation on a larger scale is concerened; its a huge flaw in our society. A person who stacks shelves won't be treated the same as a CEO.
its ridiculous, and the worst part is, its being incorporated into us by most parents. :heated:

And repuatation on a website? well, i never really noticed, lol.

joyous fairy
10-08-2011, 10:21 PM

Assalam alaykum,

Reputation is good in a way. It can motivate people to do more, learn more and share more knowledge, especially in a forum environment. If people stick to giving reps based on what the member has posted and then commenting on the points it shouldnt be a problem.

We should then be able to distinguish between the type of posts that are beneficial to people on this forum and the types that are not, therefore giving us less of an urge to spam :p

I personally think it should stay and people should use it wisely to benefit the forum as a whole.

Also members should avoid using it just because its there, but rather take points and advice from the more beneficial posts and then rep the person for posting it.

Also, isnt there a way people can disable it (block people from giving them reps and not having the ability to share them either)? If not, there should be.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!