/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment reaches 17-year high.

Salahudeen
10-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Things continue to get worse :hmm:

In the three months to August, the total rose by 114,000 to 2.57 million.

It gives the UK a jobless rate of 8.1%, the highest since 1996.

Youth unemployment rose by 74,000, meaning the number of 16-24 year olds without work crept closer to the one million mark - at 991,000 - and remains at a record high with a jobless rate of 21.3%.

At Prime Minister's Questions in the Commons, David Cameron described the figures as very disappoining, saying each job lost was a "tragedy" for the person affected.

Other figures showed a 178,000 slump in employment in the quarter - the biggest in more than two years.

In the end, economics mainly comes down to unemployment.

Ed Conway, economics editor, The number of part-time workers dropped by 175,000 while there was a record reduction of 74,000 in the number of over-65s in employment.

The Office for National Statistics also highlighted the number of people classed as economically inactive increasing by 26,000 to 9.35 million.

Jobs Data In Numbers

Unemployment total stands at 2.57 million - up 114,000.
991,000 16-24 year olds are now out of work - a rate of 21.3%.
Claimant Count rises to 1.6 million - an increase of 17,500.
Source: ONS

It said that taking the inactivity rate and the new jobless figures together, half of 16 to 24-year-olds are now not employed.

However, while the number of people claiming Jobseeker's Allowance rose for the seventh straight month - by 17,500 in September to 1.6 million - the increase was less than expected.

Average earnings increased by 2.8% in the year to August, down by 0.1% percentage points over the previous month, giving an average wage of £463 a week.
Employment Minister Chris Grayling said: "It is clear that we are seeing the effect of the international economic crisis on the UK labour market."

YOUNG BEAR THE BRUNT OF UNEMPLOYMENT RISE

He told Sky News: "We've seen big drops in growth in France and Germany...it underlines the scale of the challenge we now face."
TUC General Secretary Brendan Barber said the "terrible" figures were partly of the Government's making.
He said: "The government’s austerity measures have turned unemployment into a full-blown crisis – with job losses not seen since the darkest days of the recession.

"Worryingly, this is not simply the result of Eurozone troubles.
"This unemployment crisis is state sponsored, and areas like the North East are paying a heavy price with more than one in ten people out of work.
"The Chancellor’s Plan A has sent unemployment to a 17-year high.
"This country urgently needs a plan B to get people back into work."

http://news.sky.com/home/business/article/16087537

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
joyous fairy
10-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Well this is just great! :heated:

What I dont understand is where the jobs are going. There are soo many new businesses cropping up and the older ones are still around but where are the jobs going? :hmm:

Ğħαrєєвαħ
10-15-2011, 07:16 PM
As'Salaam Alaaykum

Just geeky isnt it!! especially the amount of numbers on that post, subhaan'Allaah!

Beardo
10-15-2011, 07:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by joyous fairy

What I dont understand is where the jobs are going. There are soo many new businesses cropping up and the older ones are still around but where are the jobs going? :hmm:
India. China. Globalization.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aadil77
10-15-2011, 07:45 PM

Foreigners, international students who've just graduated, europeans, migrants etc etc

Salahudeen
10-15-2011, 10:22 PM

The problem is there's more people than jobs, that's why people are concerned about immigration, because there's so many people here from other countries that there's not enough jobs for everyone. Employers prefer foreigners cos they can get away with paying low wages also.

we can't afford to be fussy I've learnt, just have to accept whatever comes your way and get stuck in.

My friend was telling me about the selection process for jobs and how hard it's become, he had to do a telephone interview, online test, group interview, interview with 3 people, then a one on one interview, he didn't past the group interview stages, but employers can afford to be fussy now days because there's so many people looking for work.

GuestFellow
10-15-2011, 11:31 PM
There are jobs but usually people who have experience and are working tend to fill those positions. The more unemployed people get jobs, the more they have to spend which means businesses can use the profits they make from these customers to expand, thus employing more people (too simplistic, I know). Phoning employer and writing speculative letters is a good way of getting a job. Ignore the BBC and unemployment statistics. You need to remain positive.

EDIT: removed the big rant...

aadil77
10-16-2011, 07:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
My friend was telling me about the selection process for jobs and how hard it's become, he had to do a telephone interview, online test, group interview, interview with 3 people, then a one on one interview, he didn't past the group interview stages, but employers can afford to be fussy now days because there's so many people looking for work.
Yh its become ridiculous, but only the massive companies tend to use such processes. Luckily there are still medium/large companies who use the C.V/covering letter or online application then straight to interview process

'Abd Al-Maajid
10-16-2011, 07:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo
You mean the outsourcing...? Well the recession has impacted india as well...:p I left my job at a point when there were shortages of jobs and funds as well...;D and snap! it's really difficult to find a decent job...:heated: Anyways Alhamdulillah.

Have patience and faith in Allah, guys. He will provide us with a good job soon, being optimistic keeps us going and makes us satisfied with our current state...:p

'Abd Al-Maajid
10-16-2011, 07:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Yh its become ridiculous, but only the massive companies tend to use such processes. Luckily there are still medium/large companies who use the C.V/covering letter or online application then straight to interview process
Conducting several rounds in an interview process is ridiculous and peculiar in its own way...I have sent scores of resumes and cover letters, and the response i got, 0. ;D

joyous fairy
10-16-2011, 05:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jεώel oғ ωïѕdoм
As'Salaam Alaaykum

Just geeky isnt it!! especially the amount of numbers on that post, subhaan'Allaah!
lol, yes, very geeky!

format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo

format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Foreigners, international students who've just graduated, europeans, migrants etc etc
Hmm, well maybe we should all move to foreign countries and find jobs there. I wouldnt mind being an English teacher in the Arab/Asian world.

format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
The problem is there's more people than jobs, that's why people are concerned about immigration, because there's so many people here from other countries that there's not enough jobs for everyone. Employers prefer foreigners cos they can get away with paying low wages also.

we can't afford to be fussy I've learnt, just have to accept whatever comes your way and get stuck in.

Yep, I suppose youre right. Another thing is they dont want to take on over-qualified people because they worry that they'll leave as soon as they get a better offer.

And with the current situation where uni fees are going to rise, there will be much more people after jobs. I dont think many people will go to college/uni after finishing school :hmm:

Actually quite a lot of employers are starting to do tests and role-play type stuff at the selection process to see whether the individual is good enough. That would make sense but depending on the job. I dont mind that kind of thing but I find the one to one interview difficult. I get too nervous and forget things.

format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
There are jobs but usually people who have experience and are working tend to fill those positions. The more unemployed people get jobs, the more they have to spend which means businesses can use the profits they make from these customers to expand, thus employing more people (too simplistic, I know). Phoning employer and writing speculative letters is a good way of getting a job. Ignore the BBC and unemployment statistics. You need to remain positive.

EDIT: removed the big rant...
Its a lot easier for employers to take on experienced/trained people. They dont want to be spending on people who might end up leaving the company as soon as they get a better offer.

I am positive, positive all the way! :D

Aah darn I missed your big rant!

format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd Al-Maajid

You mean the outsourcing...? Well the recession has impacted india as well...:p I left my job at a point when there were shortages of jobs and funds as well...;D and snap! it's really difficult to find a decent job...:heated: Anyways Alhamdulillah.

Have patience and faith in Allah, guys. He will provide us with a good job soon, being optimistic keeps us going and makes us satisfied with our current state...:p
InshaAllah.

joyous fairy
10-16-2011, 05:24 PM
I think Ill just start a home business.

Selling kebabs and.... Samosas, yeh samosas. I love samosas.

Or I could knit socks and jumpers and start selling them, especially now its getting colder.

Or I could start babysitting for my neighbours, oh that would be good, and fun!

Yes, that is what I will do.

Oops, didnt realise I was thinking aloud.... Er.. I mean, typing aloud. :p

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!