/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The term hjiab, can it be found in the Quran, sunnah? where?

Helena
10-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Assalamu alaikum,

yesterday i was having a discussion with my friend, i cudnt explain the topic of hijab :o how hijab connects with the Quran and the sunnah, as i cudnt find evidences to prove that hijab is a obligatory act given by Allah(swt)! I am very embarassed, have less ilm on this topic. I am aware of it but cudnt explain myself :o

Can you plz kindly share some light on this topic from the sources given on the Quran and the sunnah inshaAllah. As some people do think its not a obligation upon women jus based on the culture. How would we influence others to knw the importance of hijab?

jazakillahu kahiran.. :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MSalman
10-17-2011, 06:10 PM
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/13998/

.iman.
10-17-2011, 10:32 PM
asalaam 3laykoum sister. No need to be embarrassed, if someone asks you a question about Islam, and you want to answer them correctly, it IS ok for you to tell them you will research and get back to them... no need to make up an explanation on the spot. There is a specific verse in the Qur'an that comes to mind when I explain to people about hijab. I have put several translations for you to see the similarities.

"And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers over their chests and not expose their adornment except to their husbands..."
Sahih International

"And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands..."
Yusuf Ali

"And say to the believing women that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts and do not display their ornaments except what appears thereof, and let them wear their head-coverings over their bosoms, and not display their ornaments except to their husbands..."
Shakir

"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like palms of hands or one eye or both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer dress like veil, gloves, head-cover, apron, etc.), and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms, etc.) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands..."
Muhsin Khan

So, yes it is specifically state in the Qur'an that women should cover their heads to their bosom (chest/breasts). The actual arabic word used in the Qur'an is khumur (plural of khimar) which is a cloth that is used to cover the head. The word "hijab" is not specifically used, but covering oneself is implied. Also, hijab is not limited to just covering the head, but refers to covering the entire body in a modest way. Wearing skinny jeans and tight tops with a head covering IS NOT hijab. The clothes worn must not show the figure of the woman, nor should they be transparent, or attention grabbing. Hijab also encompasses modest mannerisms and acting appropriately. I always include that in my explanations in regards to hijab.

I hope that helps you sis!
:muslimah:

Bintulislam
10-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Good job! JazakiAllah!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
tw009
10-18-2011, 08:14 PM

Hamza Asadullah
10-19-2011, 12:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Helena
Assalamu alaikum,

yesterday i was having a discussion with my friend, i cudnt explain the topic of hijab :o how hijab connects with the Quran and the sunnah, as i cudnt find evidences to prove that hijab is a obligatory act given by Allah(swt)! I am very embarassed, have less ilm on this topic. I am aware of it but cudnt explain myself :o

Can you plz kindly share some light on this topic from the sources given on the Quran and the sunnah inshaAllah. As some people do think its not a obligation upon women jus based on the culture. How would we influence others to knw the importance of hijab?

jazakillahu kahiran.. :)
Asalaamu Alaikum sister, Surely those who think in such a way are those who lack knowledge in Islam and rather than learn correct knowledge in order to clarify their beliefs they continue to live in ignorance. To such people one should show evidence and prove the truth to them in a beautiful manner using wisdom and tact then leave it at that.

Why Hijaab?

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...=4813&CATE=128

Let us know if you need anymore help.

May Allah open the eyes of those who are blind. Ameen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!