/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Does Saudi Arabia really represent Islam?

Crystal
10-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Hey all,
The background of this question comes because as I have been learning about the life of Muhammad I find him to be a very noble man with care for the poor and I can't imagine him as a political leader living the way the royal family of Saudi live. I get the impression that Muslims in Saudi love their religion yet I find it hard to understand why not enough people speak out against the corruption?

My question is not to offend anyone from Saudi the reason I am asking is that a lot of people seem to praise Saudi Arabia for upholding an Islamic lifestyle which is good for Muslims but other times Muslims criticise Saudi for doing the opposite. I know there is no Islamic state in existence at present but I get the impression Saudi Arabia is pretty close to being one? I know a lot of people mainly in west tend to view Saudi Arabia as Islam when that is not always the case so how can Saudi Arabia and Islam be distinguished? Also in relation to the government in Saudi Arabia - does Islam allow monarchies to exist ?

Thanks all.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
10-20-2011, 12:07 AM
I am not qualified to answer your questions, but afaik, Islam does not outlaw outright monarchy (as in, everyone -including the sons of current leaders- has equal opportunity to have their run at leaderships, ) and at the same time, Islam does not allow automatic birthright as leaders of nations. In Islam, leaderships must be earned.

And yes, many many many muslims have criticized the current kingship style of Saudi, and that's why you will always hear muslims say that there is no country in the world that has fully implemented syariah. The places closest to implement syariah might be Makkah and Madinah, but those two cities fall under jurisdiction of Saudi.

Crystal
10-20-2011, 03:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan
Islam does not allow automatic birthright as leaders of nations. In Islam, leaderships must be earned.
That is good to hear then- people tend to think Muslims can't elect their leaders but from what you said that doesn't seem to be the case.

You said Mecca and Medina are close to fully implementing sharia - is there style of governing their cities different from other cities in Saudi?

Crystal
10-20-2011, 03:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Mindset
There is a separating between rich and poor people. discrimination
I have read that nowadays when going for Hajj people are separated by which country they came from - as far as I know (correct me if wrong) this has no basis within Islamic scripture, I think Muslims should speak out more against this.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
10-20-2011, 03:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crystal
I have read that nowadays when going for Hajj people are separated by which country they came from - as far as I know (correct me if wrong) this has no basis within Islamic scripture, I think Muslims should speak out more against this.
I think you misunderstand about separated by country. :)

Hajj from every country do the same procession. However, hajj from country A do hajj procession together with their country A group, hajj from country B together with their country B group. It's because hajj contingent from every country is organized and lead by contingent leader.

In example, hajj from Indonesia are organized by Indonesian ministry of religion and lead by minister of religion. And during in Makah and Madinah they stay together.

There is no discrimination.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!