/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Saudis to pay 'fine' for unfinished meals

tw009
10-21-2011, 04:36 AM
A Saudi restaurant in Damam city, the capital of the Eastern Province in Saudi Arabia, has started charging costumers who do not finish their meals.

The restaurant, named Marmar, hopes to encourage people to order only the food they need.

Customers, some of whom were surprised by the charges, said they welcomed the idea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15379068

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
tigerkhan
10-21-2011, 05:07 PM
lol...i think it good way to make suadi realize the importance of food. bcz i heard they are bit careless in this matter.

Abz2000
10-21-2011, 06:33 PM
nah - i find the arabs to be reeeaaally particular about throwing bread away - they'll lavish out on a lamborghini - but pick up a piece of bread for the goats.
my cousin used to work there - he ate a kebab from the stall and threw away the remaining bread,
the arab started cursing him, then he apparently came out of the stall, picked it up, and said he'd feed it to the goats.

joyous fairy
10-21-2011, 06:56 PM
It is a good way to stop people ordering too much, but wouldnt it be better to make them take the food and give it to poor people. At least that encourages them to give to the poor as well as making them think about how much they eat and about those who dont have as much.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Futuwwa
10-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Well, I don't think there are that many starvingly poor people in Saudi Arabia, at least not among the citizenry.

The restaurant deserves credits though. I'd think that a restaurant driven by the profit motive would gladly let customers overbuy food. Whatever costs the waste disposal may incur can hardly be as much as the additional revenue the restaurant would get from selling the food.

.iman.
10-22-2011, 12:47 AM
What about a "to go" box and they take the left overs home with them? It's a very common practice here and then you have another meal after :)

peace_maker
10-22-2011, 08:00 PM
I too appreciate the idea. These days, people do anything for money, atleast for that reason they'll finish their food.
format_quote Originally Posted by tigerkhan
lol...i think it good way to make suadi realize the importance of food.
I think it's a good way to make everyone realize the importance of food. Saudis aren't the only ones who need to learn proper eating manner, you know?

GuestFellow
10-22-2011, 09:36 PM
It seems like a good idea. Not sure it would work in the UK.

.iman.
10-22-2011, 10:50 PM
That would never fly in the US! I could only imagine people getting all angry and how many lawsuits would get slapped on the guy that tries it!

*Yasmin*
10-22-2011, 11:16 PM
good idea for a problem which does not concern the Arabs and Saudis ONLY.

the rate of poverty in Saudi Arabia is 20% as I read lastly, even though I think we should define what "poor" means from Saudi perspective!, so can't decide if they reached the starving level !
but it's not about the existence of starving/poor ppl in Saudi Arabia itself or outside it, it's about wasting and extravagance which our Prophet Muhammed PBUH forbade.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!