/* */

PDA

View Full Version : why shouldn't women use perfume ?????

AmineH
10-24-2011, 05:24 PM
:sl:

As a title shows I have wondered why women shouldn't use perfume in Islam when they go out ? Isn't Islam a fairly religion ?So why Islam let men use perfume and it recommend that women shouldn't use?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Jedi_Mindset
10-24-2011, 05:54 PM
One of the reasons is that in the time of our nabi(Pbuh) women mostly stayed at home, to work there or for example took care of the kids (When married ofcourse). While the husband is sweating in the scorching sun, and works the whole day. Women can wear perfume in the house tough, men need to use it because they're sweating fast. If a women walks in public with perfume on her, who smells very great, she passes by a man. well u can guess it further... ;)

Endymion
10-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Here is the answer to your question,sis :statisfie

We have noticed at Taraaweeh prayers that some women come to the mosque wearing perfume that has such a strong fragrance that men can smell it if they walk behind or beside them. Some women tried to advise them, but they said that they wore perfume when coming to the mosque out of respect for the mosque. What is the ruling on this?

Praise be to Allaah.

The point of reference for Islamic rulings must be the texts of the Qur’aan and Sunnah, not one’s own opinion, mood, desire or ideas about what is nice. Concerning this very issue many reports have been narrated which strictly forbid this (women wearing perfume when they go out). These reports include saheeh ahaadeeth in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade women to wear perfume when they go out of their houses:

Abu Moosa al-Ash’ari said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Any woman who puts on perfume then passes by people so that they can smell her fragrance, is an adulteress.”

Zaynab al-Thaqafiyyah reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If any one of you (women) goes out to the mosque, let her not touch any perfume.”

Abu Hurayrah said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Any woman who has scented herself with bakhoor (incense), let her not attend ‘Ishaa’ prayers with us.”

Moosa ibn Yassaar said that a woman passed by Abu Hurayrah and her scent was overpowering. He said, “O female slave of al-Jabbaar, are you going to the mosque?” She said, “Yes,” He said, “And have you put on perfume because of that?” She said, “Yes.” He said, “Go back and wash yourself, for I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: ‘If a woman comes out to the mosque and her fragrance is overpowering, Allaah will not accept any prayer from her until she goes home and washes herself.’”

The reason for this prohibition is quite clear, which is that women’s fragrance may cause undue provocation of desires. The scholars also included other things under this heading of things to be avoided by women who want to go to the mosque, such as beautiful clothes, jewellery that can be seen, excessive adornments and mingling with men. See Fath al-Baari, 2/279.

Ibn Daqeeq al-‘Eed said:

This indicates that it is forbidden for a woman who wants to go to the mosque to wear perfume, because this causes provocation of men’s desires. This was reported by al-Manaawi in Fayd al-Qadeer, in the commentary on the first hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah quoted above.

Having examined all this saheeh evidence, there can be no room for debate or argument. Muslim women have to understand the seriousness of the issue and the sin involved in going against this shar’i ruling. They should remember that they are going out to seek reward, not to fall into sin. We ask Allaah to keep us safe and sound.

By the way, we recently read that biologists have discovered a sexual gland in the nose, i.e., there is a direct connection between the sense of smell and the provocation of desire. If this is true, then it is one of the signs that prove even to the kuffaar how precise are the rulings of this sharee’ah which came to preserve chastity and to block the ways that lead to immorality.
Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Hamza Asadullah
10-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Many a time a women walks by leaving a trail of perfume behind her igniting passions amongst men she walks past. Therefore a women should only wear perfume in front of her mahrams or partner so as to avoid igniting passions amongst strange men for there is nothing better to ignite such passions than the sweet smelling perfume of a women.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kabeer
10-25-2011, 10:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion
By the way, we recently read that biologists have discovered a sexual gland in the nose, i.e., there is a direct connection between the sense of smell and the provocation of desire. If this is true, then it is one of the signs that prove even to the kuffaar how precise are the rulings of this sharee’ah which came to preserve chastity and to block the ways that lead to immorality.
Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
Salaam sister,

You present a good case for a muslim lady not to wear perfume outside, especially to the mosque. Then you qualify it at the end by saying humans (both men and women) have desire incited in them by their smell.
So you missed an important question in the OP's post. Why is it men are allowed to wear perfume? Surely both in normal walking around, and in the mosque, when the perfumed man walks past a woman he would incite this sexual gland in the woman with his strong perfume?

As a side note, imam Malik and imam Abu Hanifa both were said to have worn a lot of perfume. So much that people would know they had walked past that street by the smell that was left behind.

Peace.

Abz2000
10-25-2011, 11:59 AM
it's true - a woman walks past and men don't always see it that way,
she leaves behind a trail of perfume - they're thinking on a totally different level - it arouses totally different passions.

this should help:

Endymion
10-25-2011, 02:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kabeer
Salaam sister,

You present a good case for a muslim lady not to wear perfume outside, especially to the mosque. Then you qualify it at the end by saying humans (both men and women) have desire incited in them by their smell.
So you missed an important question in the OP's post. Why is it men are allowed to wear perfume? Surely both in normal walking around, and in the mosque, when the perfumed man walks past a woman he would incite this sexual gland in the woman with his strong perfume?

As a side note, imam Malik and imam Abu Hanifa both were said to have worn a lot of perfume. So much that people would know they had walked past that street by the smell that was left behind.

Peace.
Walekum Assalam Brother Kabeer.

I actually think the respected scholar answered the question in first para in which he insist to obey the laws.If we fall in this debate why women can do this and men dont,you will see several issues like these.Such as women are allowed to wear silk and men dont.Its my personal opinion that one should follow the laws of Islam instead of investigating them too much.I know,you (and some other) dont agree,but this is what i think.
To answer the question you have pointed out,here is another one.Hope it helps.

http://www.understanding-islam.com/q...not-women-8947

Abz2000
10-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Men are also generally physically stronger, women rarely rape men, check the statistics,

Men are also more weak and impulsive when it comes to the opposite sex,

Did you know that apparently, women are allowed to wash their deceased husband's body in the absence of helpers,
Yet men are apparently not allowed to wash their deceased wife?

Also check the rape rates in Muslim countries in contrast to US and France........

Kabeer
10-26-2011, 11:41 AM

Walekum Assalam Brother Kabeer.

I actually think the respected scholar answered the question in first para in which he insist to obey the laws.If we fall in this debate why women can do this and men dont,you will see several issues like these.Such as women are allowed to wear silk and men dont.Its my personal opinion that one should follow the laws of Islam instead of investigating them too much.I know,you (and some other) dont agree,but this is what i think.
To answer the question you have pointed out,here is another one.Hope it helps.

http://www.understanding-islam.com/q...not-women-8947
Wasalam,

The answer in the scholars first paragraph is fine. Except neither his first paragraph or such mention anything about men. It isnt so bad to just consider reasonings.
For instance in the link you provided to UI, they conclude that it is not allowed for a man to wear perfume for the purpose of enticing outsite.

Theres lots of things where one shouldnt just blindly follow without thought, ofc follow we must follow, but following with understanding is more fulfilling (and also recognising there are limits to ones understanding is part of this).
For instance, the prohibition of men wearing gold, and women being allowed to. Some men take this to believe its fine to be layered in platinum and diamonds. And some women find it then fine to have ridiculous amounts of gold that they dont even wear. But it takes away from the spirit of Islam if viewed as such.
(I am ofc not saying You view it as such, I hold a Lot of respect for you sister. Rather I am saying exploration of reasoning can help people understand the message and why its there).

Peace

tigerkhan
10-26-2011, 11:51 AM
:sl:
to me a very simple answer is, islam dont want men to fall in fitna, so women are allowed to use perfume but only for her hubby and mahram. its just same as she need not to do hijab in front of her hubby however in front of others she need to do so.

GuestFellow
10-26-2011, 12:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abz2000
Men are also generally physically stronger, women rarely rape men, check the statistics,

Men are also more weak and impulsive when it comes to the opposite sex,

Did you know that apparently, women are allowed to wash their deceased husband's body in the absence of helpers,

Also check the rape rates in Muslim countries in contrast to US and France........
Salaam,

It is not as simple as that. Most men that are raped are too afraid/ashamed to report it to the police. It is possible for women to rape men.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...-2-2009_pg7_24

Again, in Muslim countries, not all Muslim women are going to get report it.

Endymion
10-26-2011, 05:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kabeer
Wasalam,

The answer in the scholars first paragraph is fine. Except neither his first paragraph or such mention anything about men. It isnt so bad to just consider reasonings.
For instance in the link you provided to UI, they conclude that it is not allowed for a man to wear perfume for the purpose of enticing outsite.

Theres lots of things where one shouldnt just blindly follow without thought, ofc follow we must follow, but following with understanding is more fulfilling (and also recognising there are limits to ones understanding is part of this).
Assalam Alekum Dear Brother :statisfie

You are right,one should'nt follow things blindly and thats why we learn things through Ahadith and Tafthir.Im just saying that there are some cases in which we dont find a proper reasoning behing things so its my belief that one should learn to practice instead of finding logic but again,this is just what i think and practice but certainly im not imposing my opinion on others and they are free to disagree and keep looking at the logics.Its just that the answer was enough for me.

some women find it then fine to have ridiculous amounts of gold that they dont even wear. But it takes away from the spirit of Islam if viewed as such.
Yup,its not just they dont even wear it but also they try to cheat while paying Zakah.

(I am ofc not saying You view it as such, I hold a Lot of respect for you sister. Rather I am saying exploration of reasoning can help people understand the message and why its there).

Peace
I dont think we need to remind each other how much we respect each other.I just added the disagreement thing because i knew my dear little bro wont agree with accepting it like that :statisfie Sorry,i made you feel like you are wrong and im right :embarrass

Abz2000
10-27-2011, 04:10 AM
It is not as simple as that. Most men that are raped are too afraid/ashamed to report it to the police. It is possible for women to rape men.
come on bro :) i did say men are generally physically stronger,
how many men are afraid to go out at night in case a woman grabs them?
i haven't met any yet, though there may be a few.

even the Quran mentions women being harassed:
O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient,
that they should be known (as such) and not molested.
And Allah is Oft- Forgiving, Most Merciful.
Quran 33:59

also women are psychologically different,
women often look for a vast array of things in men (financial security, strength, power, super-car, looks etc)
- but men are usually attracted by two things - beauty and reservedness.
just listen to boys conversations about girls and girls conversations about boys and you'll know what i mean (generally).

and even this is mentioned in the Quran as natural:

Men are the protectors and maintainers of women,
because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means.
Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them guard........
Quran 4:34

'Aleena
10-27-2011, 06:29 AM
Im just saying that there are some cases in which we dont find a proper reasoning behing things so its my belief that one should learn to practice instead of finding logic but again,this is just what i think and practice but certainly im not imposing my opinion on others and they are free to disagree and keep looking at the logics.Its just that the answer was enough for me.
I agree. Brother Nouman Ali Khan in 'Do you intend to question the messenger and Q&A' explains it beautifully.

GuestFellow
10-27-2011, 08:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abz2000
come on bro
:) i did say men are generally physically stronger,
how many men are afraid to go out at night in case a woman grabs them?
i haven't met any yet, though there may be a few.
Salaam,

Strength is not all that important, especially now. Some rapists have used drugs to intoxicate their victim.

Not many men expect to be raped by a women. Those that do, it is extremely humiliating for them. They rarely report it. So you can see how traumatic it can be for male victims who have been raped by a women, especially when they don't expect it.

AmineH
10-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Nice answers !!!!!

syilla
12-30-2011, 07:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000

Is this true? I'm sorry i've learnt for so many times but sometimes i forget the smallest facts. Do you think you can provide me with some daleel. thank you

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!