/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim reality series on Discovery Channel TLC

sabr*
10-26-2011, 12:34 AM
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

The Discovery Channels TLC will air 13 November 2011 a reality series based upon Muslims
living in Dearborn, MI.

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/all-american-muslim

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
.iman.
10-26-2011, 06:17 PM
I don't see how this is going to help the Muslim community, they should have had the show about Arab American families instead... I didn't see a lot of Islamic practices being represented, just cultural things- women in full makeup, a sister without hijab and an eyebrow piercing, women dancing, an expensive wedding (not to mention lots of intermixing)... lots of haram things going on. Any reality show isn't going to depict true Muslim life because it will be edited, and the producers are only going to pick up on the drama between families.

On another note, I've actually thought about moving to Dearborn just because it is such a large Muslim community.

sabr*
10-27-2011, 03:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by .iman.
I don't see how this is going to help the Muslim community, t
hey should have had the show about Arab American families instead... I
didn't see a lot of Islamic practices being represented, just cultural things-
women in full makeup, a sister without hijab and an eyebrow piercing,
women dancing, an expensive wedding (not to mention lots of intermixing)... l
ots of haram things going on. Any reality show isn't going to depict true M
uslim life because it will be edited, and the producers are only going to pick
up on the drama between families.

On another note, I've actually thought about moving to Dearborn just because
it is such a large Muslim community.

Ukhti .iman.:

This might be a shock but many Muslim around the world are not as religious
as members of a forum.

Just reading the threads and posts provide an indication of how people
go about their daily lifes.

Confusing having Islam by tradition verses faith is a huge distinction.

There are practicing Muslims throughout the world. That would be true
that there are non-religious people who claim to be adherents of Islam as
other faiths.

Muslims are not superhuman. They are subject to the identical failings as
other humans.

.iman.
10-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Yes brother I understand that there are all types of Muslims in the world, just like there are many different types of Christians and Jews. Astaghfillah I came off as judgmental towards them, but from the previews I didn't like what I saw. I am just afraid this will be more negative because people will say that Muslims are like this or that based upon a reality show. Or, they might confuse something they see that might be a cultural practice with Islam. As a Muslim, I feel that we should protect our ummah and be careful about the image that we are putting out there.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aadil77
10-27-2011, 03:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sabr*

Ukhti .iman.:

This might be a shock but many Muslim around the world are not as religious
as members of a forum.

Just reading the threads and posts provide an indication of how people
go about their daily lifes.

Confusing having Islam by tradition verses faith is a huge distinction.

There are practicing Muslims throughout the world. That would be true
that there are non-religious people who claim to be adherents of Islam as
other faiths.

Muslims are not superhuman. They are subject to the identical failings as
other humans.
Thats true, but do you think this programme holds any benefit for muslims?

please provide an answer using Qur'an and Sunnah, no personal opinions

MartyrX
10-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Let's reserve judgement on the show until we can see a full episode.

sabr*
10-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Yes brother I understand that there are all types of Muslims in the world,
just like there are many different types of Christians and Jews. Astaghfillah I came off as judgmental
towards them, but from the previews I didn't like what I saw. I am just afraid this will be more negative
because people will say that Muslims are like this or that based upon a reality show. Or, they might
confuse something they see that might be a cultural practice with Islam. As a Muslim, I feel that we should
protect our ummah and be careful about the image that we are putting out there.
Ukhti .iman.:

many practicing Muslim of the forum may hold that exact view. But realize how much
it took for a family or group of people who are adherents of Islam to subject themselves
to the eventual criticism that will come from staunch Muslims.

How many within this forum would even open their life to a production company
to film everything and everywhere they go? Not that many.

The practicing Muslims most-likely didn't want anything to do with reality
TV. (Jersey Shore, The Kardashians, etc)

sabr*
10-27-2011, 10:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Thats true, but do you think this programme holds any benefit for muslims?

please provide an answer using Qur'an and Sunnah, no personal opinions

We don't intertwine our personal opinion with Islam.

We have not reviewed an entire episode so we can
only hold judgement. Those forum members who
have intuition without reviewing the
show may have that ability.

The show can be a learning tool of what practicing
Muslim face in tabligh of adherents who only
have Islam by tradition and not faith.

There are practicing Muslims who actually are
involved with their Islamic Communities and
don't devote their valuable time to online
forums 24/7.

The learning tool Allah used with Ibrahim (AS):

Al-An'am (The Cattle)

وَكَذَلِكَ نُرِي إِبْرَاهِيمَ مَلَكُوتَ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالأَرْضِ وَلِيَكُونَ مِنَ الْمُوقِنِينَ (6:75)
Wakathalika nuree ibraheema malakoota alssamawati waalardi waliyakoona mina almooqineena

6:75 (Y. Ali) So also did We show Abraham the power and the laws of the heavens
and the earth, that he might (with understanding) have certitude.

Al-An'am (The Cattle)

فَلَمَّا جَنَّ عَلَيْهِ اللَّيْلُ رَأَى كَوْكَبًا قَالَ هَـذَا رَبِّي فَلَمَّا أَفَلَ قَالَ لا أُحِبُّ الآفِلِينَ (6:76)
Falamma janna AAalayhi allaylu raa kawkaban qala hatha rabbee falamma afala qala la ohibbu alafileena
6:76 (Y. Ali) When the night covered him over, He saw a star:
He said: "This is my Lord." But when it set, He said: "I love not those that set."

Al-An'am (The Cattle)
فَلَمَّا رَأَى الْقَمَرَ بَازِغًا قَالَ هَـذَا رَبِّي فَلَمَّا أَفَلَ قَالَ لَئِن لَّمْ يَهْدِنِي رَبِّي لأكُونَنَّ مِنَ الْقَوْمِ الضَّالِّينَ (6:77)

Falamma raa alqamara bazighan qala hatha rabbee falamma afala qala lain lam yahdinee rabbee laakoonanna mina alqawmi alddalleena

6:77 (Y. Ali) When he saw the moon rising in splendour, he said:
"This is my Lord." But when the moon set, He said: "unless my Lord guide me, I shall surely be among those who go astray."

Al-An'am (The Cattle)
فَلَمَّا رَأَى الشَّمْسَ بَازِغَةً قَالَ هَـذَا رَبِّي هَـذَآ أَكْبَرُ فَلَمَّا أَفَلَتْ قَالَ يَا قَوْمِ إِنِّي بَرِيءٌ مِّمَّا تُشْرِكُونَ (6:78)
Falamma raa alshshamsa bazighatan qala hatha rabbee hatha akbaru falamma afalat qala ya qawmi innee bareeon mimma tushrikoona
6:78 (Y. Ali) When he saw the sun rising in splendour, he said: "This is my Lord; this is the greatest (of all).
" But when the sun set, he said: "O my people! I am indeed free from your (guilt) of giving partners to Allah.

Al-An'am (The Cattle)
إِنِّي وَجَّهْتُ وَجْهِيَ لِلَّذِي فَطَرَ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالأَرْضَ حَنِيفًا وَمَا أَنَاْ مِنَ الْمُشْرِكِينَ (6:79)
Innee wajjahtu wajhiya lillathee fatara alssamawati waalarda haneefan wama ana mina almushrikeena
6:79 (Y. Ali) "For me, I have set my face, firmly and truly, towards
Him Who created the heavens and the earth, and never shall I give partners to Allah."
__________________________________________________ ______

Al-Baqara (The Cow)

إِنَّ اللَّهَ لاَ يَسْتَحْيِي أَن يَضْرِبَ مَثَلاً مَّا بَعُوضَةً فَمَا فَوْقَهَا فَأَمَّا الَّذِينَ
آمَنُواْ فَيَعْلَمُونَ أَنَّهُ الْحَقُّ مِن رَّبِّهِمْ وَأَمَّا الَّذِينَ كَفَرُو
اْ فَيَقُولُونَ مَاذَا أَرَادَ اللَّهُ بِهَـذَا مَثَلاً يُضِلُّ بِهِ كَثِيراً وَيَهْدِي بِهِ كَثِيراً وَمَا يُضِلُّ بِهِ إِلاَّ الْفَاسِقِينَ (2:26)
Inna Allaha la yastahyee an yadriba mathalan ma baAAoodatan fama fawqaha faamma allatheena amanoo
fayaAAlamoona annahu alhaqqu min rabbihim waamma allatheena kafaroo fayaqooloona matha arada
Allahu bihatha mathalan yudillu bihi katheeran wayahdee bihi katheeran wama yudillu bihi illa alfasiqeena

2:26 (Y. Ali) Allah disdains not to use the similitude of things, lowest as well as highest.
Those who believe know that it is truth from their Lord; but those who reject Faith say:
"What means Allah by this similitude?" By it He causes many to stray, and many
He leads into the right path; but He causes not to stray, except those who forsake (the path),-

Those Allah has bestowed with commonsense this can be a learning tool.

No matter how this is presented some will never get it.

This learning tool is like when Kithr (AS) was sent to instruct Musa (AS).

Some will get it and some will not.

.iman.
10-27-2011, 11:15 PM
I guess we will see once the show airs, inchAllah.

MartyrX
10-28-2011, 12:17 AM
While I agree we need to protect our Ummah, but I feel in this day and age, we need to be more out there. This will be a different view of Muslims, one that most people probably don't see.

sabr*
11-10-2011, 07:09 PM

The Discovery Channels TLC will air 13 November 2011 a
reality series based upon Muslims living in Dearborn, MI.

A learning tool for those who are involved with Dawah
in the offline Muslim community.

Tyrion
11-10-2011, 07:58 PM
There's both good and bad in these kinds of efforts, and I'm curious to see where they take this... As of now, I think that in many ways its a good step forward, but at the same time I can't help feeling uncomfortable with the way some of these programs try to "dumb us down" so that we're accepted by the mainstream. Hopefully it's not the case with this show, but I feel like more often than not, the message turns out being, "Hey, look! We've totally assimilated into your way of life, so even though we're Muslim, we're not "Muslim"... We're JUST LIKE YOU!"... It's good to show that Muslims can be and should be seen as Americans, but sometimes people go too far... Hopefully they can achieve a balance.

Tyrion
11-10-2011, 08:08 PM
We don't intertwine our personal opinion with Islam.

We have not reviewed an entire episode so we can
Who's "We"?

(I'm gonna keep asking until I get a satisfactory response. :) )

MartyrX
11-10-2011, 08:40 PM
In all reality, we are just like everyone else. Maybe we pray more than others, but deep down we are the same. I think and hope the point of this show is to show America that Muslims aren't blood-thirsty, women-hating crazies.

sabr*
11-11-2011, 04:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
There's both good and bad in these
kinds of efforts, and I'm curious to see where they take this...
As of now, I think that in many ways its a good step forward,
but at the same time I can't help feeling uncomfortable with the
way some of these programs try to "dumb us down" so that we're
accepted by the mainstream. Hopefully it's not the case with
this show, but I feel like more often than not, the message turns out being,
"Hey, look! We've totally assimilated into your way
of life, so even though we're Muslim, we're not "Muslim"...
We're JUST LIKE YOU!"... It's good to show that Muslims can be and
should be seen as Americans, but sometimes people go too far...
Hopefully they can achieve a balance.

Akhi Tyrion:

The opinions of people in a forum is usually limited to
the forum they occupy. The differences in the offline
community varies.

A cautious guide when viewing this reality show is to
separate those who are adherents of Islam who practice
this religion which is usually by faith and those who are
operating on tradition. A difference that many are unable
recognize.

Usually faith and knowledge are inseparable. Many times you view
the deviation of the practice of Islam by those who claim to be Muslim
they usually have the religion by tradition which are combined with
cultural and tribal habits.

If a person doesn't practice Islam or embrace the Quran and Sunnah
how we understand it that isn't a reflection on practicing Muslims unless
we allow it in your mind.

Those who are committed in the offline communities in Dawah usually
use these opportunities to show the obligations of a practicing
Muslim.

Remember there is no one on earth that doesn't sin. The best sinner
is one who repents.

.iman.
11-20-2011, 04:13 PM
I saw a rerun last night and I have to say that I wasn't very impressed. The first two people they focused on for this episode was the girl that married the convert and she was talking about how she is a Muslim, yet covered in piercings/tattoos (she was mad her wedding dress didn't show her tattoos in the episode) and the guy ONLY converted so he could marry her (as far as I could tell). The second person they focused on was the blonde woman who wears super tight clothes, and lowcut, skimpy tops and says she has her religion in her "heart" yet she wants to open up a night club in the city.

However, it did seem like there are a few couples who actually are practicing mashAllah like the pregnant lady and the guy that is a football coach. They only showed like 2 second clips of the men in prayers and that was it. I do like in between segments that they have the discussions that talk about Islam and explain it.

Honestly though, I don't see how this show is going to change a person's opinion of Muslims in general. I think it takes a lot more than a reality show to do that.

YusufNoor
11-20-2011, 04:30 PM

The Discovery Channels TLC will air 13 November 2011 a reality series based upon Muslims
living in Dearborn, MI.

:sl:

i would say not to bother to watch it. find some really cool lectures about Islam and copy them and keep them in your pocket. then when some non-Muslim asks you what you think about it, and they asked because they watched it because they were "interested in learning more about Islam" you can hand them something more beneficial without being critical about the fellow Muslims on the TV [who we should make dua for].

wa Salaam

SyrianFellow
11-20-2011, 07:41 PM
I saw a rerun last night and I have to say that I wasn't very impressed. The first two people they focused on for this episode was the girl that married the convert and she was talking about how she is a Muslim, yet covered in piercings/tattoos (she was mad her wedding dress didn't show her tattoos in the episode) and the guy ONLY converted so he could marry her (as far as I could tell). The second person they focused on was the blonde woman who wears super tight clothes, and lowcut, skimpy tops and says she has her religion in her "heart" yet she wants to open up a night club in the city.

However, it did seem like there are a few couples who actually are practicing mashAllah like the pregnant lady and the guy that is a football coach. They only showed like 2 second clips of the men in prayers and that was it. I do like in between segments that they have the discussions that talk about Islam and explain it.

Honestly though, I don't see how this show is going to change a person's opinion of Muslims in general. I think it takes a lot more than a reality show to do that.
I can't agree with you more. I also watched it and was fairly disappointed. The funny thing about this is that there is a facebook group boycotting the show on TLC because it shows fake views of Islam, after reading what they meant, they said the show doesn't show the "real" islam and the real islam is the radical islam.

SubhanAllah, if only they had real views on the real Islam.

Galaxy
11-21-2011, 12:42 AM
:sl: I was also disappointed to see the way these Muslims are like such as the Muslimah covered in piercings and tattoos and another planning to open a club. I read somewhere that these group of people don't represent Muslims very well because they are Arab (which only makes up 20% of the Muslim population) and Shia (which only makes up 10% of the Muslim population). Some people on the other hand who believe that this show is attempting to portray Muslims as normal people are disappointed to see this show too.

serena77
11-21-2011, 01:04 AM
i watched it today to catch up before the next episode. I'll keep watching hoping it gets better.... i did manage not to say too much about how much i loved the hijabs that were worn as i was watching it w/ my mother... I will say.... at least she didnt make any off comments.. i was thankful of that... and a bit surprised.... and i think she set the next one to tape so even though it covers a small amount of the population... maybe she at least enjoyed it... which for me would be a good thing...
Serena

Nate
11-21-2011, 07:23 AM
I found this show great, I may not agree with some things but my wife and I can sit and watch it, and she asked me questions. She make more "thats what I hate about it" comments and I tell examples of the same thing in her family that is Southern Baptist. Really its helped her understand that Muslims are people to, and there regular people out there, she is learning more and more that people she knows is Muslim.

I am still new to Islam still but this show is good for the masses, the show is not us its for them. The sheeple will watch and some will understand were not out to get them LOL

sabr*
11-29-2011, 12:21 AM

The reality is that there are numerous immigrants and second generation Muslims who
are in the United States, UK and Europe who have Islam by tradition and not by faith.

This isn't a surprise for those who are active in the offline community engaging in
Dawah. The utopian online community doesn't have to display their conduct. It
is actually manufactured in typing. A person can present a entirely different
persona online that doesn't reflect reality.

This show can be a learning tool for those of us who are active in the offline
community. A key lesson is to see how not to conduct yourself as a practicing
Muslim.

Sahih Bukhari Volume 8, Book 73, Number 95:

Narrated Abu Huraira:
I heard Allah's Apostle saying. "All the sins of my followers will be forgiven
except those of the Mujahirin (those who commit a sin openly or disclose their
sins to the people). An example of such disclosure is that a person commits a sin
at night and though Allah screens it from the public, then he comes in the morning,
and says, 'O so-and-so, I did such-and-such (evil) deed yesterday,' though he spent
his night screened by his Lord (none knowing about his sin) and in the morning he
removes Allah's screen from himself."

Nate
12-13-2011, 04:45 AM
Lowe's is facing heavy condemnation from all over the Internet, including celebrities who have taken to Twitter to denounce the home improvement company following its decision to pull its advertisements from a TLC show called "All-American Muslim."
Its funny I am on Facebook and most of my friends are in relation to survival, and gov problems. And Im seeing more and more pure ignorant hatred for Islam. I have a few post from the newsfeed of people posting about Lowes and people are replying back some very nasty things, and the funny thing is there just breeding the hate among them selves and the hate they say Muslims have for Americans, is 10 time worse from them.

And it also bugs me that they say a Muslim is not American, I am a Muslim and I still love my country.

Ramadhan
12-13-2011, 09:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nate
I have a few post from the newsfeed of people posting about Lowes and people are replying back some very nasty things, and the funny thing is there just breeding the hate among them selves and the hate they say Muslims have for Americans, is 10 time worse from them.
I totally agree. Whenever I am now reading news articles with some vague relations to Islam on internet, I skip all the comments. The pure hatred based on total ignorance people have towards Islam is unbelievable. You know, at least most muslims' hate towards the govt of USA is based on evidence.

And it also bugs me that they say a Muslim is not American, I am a Muslim and I still love my country.
Masha Allah! May Allah give you much blessings in this world and hereafter. ameen.

joedawun
12-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Its funny I am on Facebook and most of my friends are in relation to survival, and gov problems. And Im seeing more and more pure ignorant hatred for Islam. I have a few post from the newsfeed of people posting about Lowes and people are replying back some very nasty things, and the funny thing is there just breeding the hate among them selves and the hate they say Muslims have for Americans, is 10 time worse from them.
In balance you might mention that not all people are replying back nasty things about Muslims. In fact many are not, myself included, and I have been involved in many online and offline conversations regarding this. The movement to boycott Lowe's is not only a movement involving Muslims...some of us non-Muslims see this for what it is.

I like your post for this line. For anyone to say that you are not "American" because you are Muslim bugs me as well.

sabr*
12-13-2011, 08:39 PM

Florida Family Association's Director David Caton was on Morgan Pierce and he was unable to
define Muslim. Usually with bigotry follows ignorance.

There is no way you can change a bigoted mindset. Just stop trying.

You will be surprise to know that the FFA is also against advertising shows that highlight Homosexual
lifestyles.

This is another fundraising tool non-profits use. Create a controversial issue and push it.

The fundraising will spike.

http://floridafamily.org/

جوري
12-13-2011, 09:05 PM
I have never felt a strong feeling toward any country and I have traveled quite a bit to the far east, middle east, Europe, Africa & throughout America.. I don't know what it means to love ones country, all parts of the earth belong to God and home is where the heart is and I take it with me everywhere.. There are places on earth where I feel more welcome than other places. Even here in the U.S there are states whose people are warm and friendly and others where I can not stand the sight or sound of its inhabitants. I think the only place where I have felt a sense of belonging is the Sinai desert though I have only been there twice.. I wouldn't mind being buried there or in Makkah if that is what it comes down to and if earth is our mother, I believe that's where my mother would be.. I don't have a problem with someone calling me 'unamerican' but then I don't have a problem with anybody calling me 'unanything', for I am indeed a Muslim first and foremost ...

Tyrion
12-13-2011, 10:45 PM
We had the opportunity to view two episodes to form an educated view of the show.
The majority of women we viewed in the two episodes wore Hijab.
In the two episodes we didn't view anyone performing Salah.
Why do you keep saying "WE"? Whyyyyyy?

joedawun
12-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Florida Family Association's Director David Caton was on Morgan Pierce and he was unable to
define Muslim. Usually with bigotry follows ignorance.
There is no way you can change a bigoted mindset. Just stop trying.
You will be surprise to know that the FFA is also against advertising shows that highlight Homosexual
lifestyles.
This is another fundraising tool non-profits use. Create a controversial issue and push it.
This group is typical of the type of hateful bigots that portray the "outsiders" of society as existential threats. Muslims, gays, any minority will do...these are equal opportunity haters. Sadly they get their way too often...in this case a TV show showing Muslims as normal people could not be allowed to poison the minds of their followers, or the general public.

sabr*
12-14-2011, 09:45 AM

The backlash Lowes is receiving from Christians who don't agree with the fringe group in Florida will work for and against
them. It provides attention to those who embrace that thought who will rally to support Lowes and those against will boycott.

It is a wash. Why would anyone shop at Lowes? There are so many other options.

MustafaMc
12-14-2011, 01:29 PM
I am an American Muslim of Scottish-European descent. I have watched this show and I appreciate the opportunity to watch a show about Muslims in a positive light. The range of adherence to Islamic practice illustrates the natural diversity within any group even though one woman pushes the very limit of what one would consider for a Muslim. My take-away from this show is that Muslims are portrayed as mainstream Americans and not blood-thirsty terrorists. That is the very issue that the lunatic Floridians have with the show and that works against their Islamophobic agenda.

My opinion is that the present demonization of Muslims has eerie similarities to Nazi Germany in the 1930's. Does anyone remember the forced internment of Americans of Japanese descent in the 1940's? Will there be something similar or worse for American Muslims in the near future?

Nate
12-14-2011, 02:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
My opinion is that the present demonization of Muslims has eerie similarities to Nazi Germany in the 1930's. Does anyone remember the forced internment of Americans of Japanese descent in the 1940's? Will there be something similar or worse for American Muslims in the near future?
No I have many guns......like every good American should its what keeps us free, well as free as they allow us :nervous: LOL

MustafaMc
12-14-2011, 07:30 PM
I guess you haven't heard of the Branch Davidians at Waco, TX.

User29123
12-17-2011, 09:00 PM
Can someone explain what this is about it's on here to:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5goH-JhIrFLcWnFz5C2vaJqcL16uQ?docId=f1d2d631d4c94e9d980 29a6b9d9580cb

I
am confused..:confused:

Nate
12-17-2011, 09:10 PM
yea learn from there mistakes, big compounds draw attention LOL besides he was ordering Full Auto triggers for gis ARs

إحسان
12-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Three questions:

- Why are they all Arabs? I'm Arab myself but what more than to show the typical stereotype that some ignorant folks hold that all Muslims are Arabs (believe me there are ignorant people out there). I mean why not show an Arab, Indonesian, Somalian, Iranian, Syrian family etc.???

- Why are they all Lebanese :p? Nothing against them, but like my comment above: no diversity??

- They're all Shia...... Again nothing against Shia Muslims but um.. what about the majority? Sunni Muslims?

YusufNoor
12-17-2011, 10:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ßlµêßêll
I have never felt a strong feeling toward any country and I have traveled quite a bit to the far east, middle east, Europe, Africa & throughout America.. I don't know what it means to love ones country, all parts of the earth belong to God and home is where the heart is and I take it with me everywhere.. There are places on earth where I feel more welcome than other places. Even here in the U.S there are states whose people are warm and friendly and others where I can not stand the sight or sound of its inhabitants. I think the only place where I have felt a sense of belonging is the Sinai desert though I have only been there twice.. I wouldn't mind being buried there or in Makkah if that is what it comes down to and if earth is our mother, I believe that's where my mother would be.. I don't have a problem with someone calling me 'unamerican' but then I don't have a problem with anybody calling me 'unanything', for I am indeed a Muslim first and foremost ...
:sl:

well, i was an American before i was a Muslim. but i was also not a trinitarian either, so most folks though i was Jewish. i don't see much difference between the demons who run this country with those who run others, INCLUDING those with Muslim majority populations. a real patriot is someone interested in the Truth, which Islam is. someone calling me unAmerican would end up feeling foolish real quick as it would be child's play to point out their ignorance. the rah-rah fools are the easiest, just give them a few dvds to open their eyes about how they have the "wool pulled over their eyes."

that being said, my mom raised me and she was Canadian. it's people that make you feel welcome or at home, but Americans seem so out of touch with reality, unless you're talking about a reality series. some can give a gazillion stats on their favorite sports teams/players, others can give a play by play on the most inept soap operas going back months. but they think some guy in a cave with a laptop masterminded 9/11 or that we went to war in Iraq to "defend ourselves!" or millions died in Vietnam because of a "communist threat." or some lone nut killed JFK, RFK or MLK. so if someone says "unAmerican", ask them if what they mean is "unbrainwashed!" cuz i'd have to plead guilty there! after a good lecture or 2, they may not have figured out the whole "American" thing, but they'll have learned a thing or 2.

for me, it's more irritating when Muslims act ignorant. i sort of expect it from others. unAmerican? well, that's better than ignorant. the brain is an amazing creation, however "use it or lose it!"

not that there aren't exceptions, but walk into any Americans house and watch how much they watch TV, and i mean crap TV. they even leave it on when when "they can't find nothing to watch!" find an American with a book and you might have someone you can have a conversation with. nothing against TV, they are great for lectures and documentaries. even if you began with a 2 to 1 ratio of education to "leisure" TV, your brain would begin to to develop. seek knowledge!

:wa:

Abz2000
12-18-2011, 07:44 AM
i watched the news interviews of some of the actors in that "soap", the woman "who pushes limits" even admitted that it involved drama, so the news anchor quickly cut in and started talking to the couple,
most "reality" tv shows are semi-scripted and this interview was filled with disinfo and looked like an attempt at portraying most Muslims as "moderate" and the ones who stand up to the persecution they face and illegal occupation of lands as non-mainstream, dislikeable, extremist.
it's sad how the hijabi wife of the big guy was totally misrepresenting Islam by saying she believed it to be "just like any other religion" as if it's something you pick according to what you like, without mentioning that it's about seeking the truth and that she found Islam to fit in with what she saw as the truth.
it also looks like a way of trying to "integrate" American Muslims into "secularism", rather than be proud of their identity as carrying the standard of truth to their people.
don't be like what i should be, i'm trying my best to bend over backwards to be like what the media has made you.
i hit dislike.

btw, watching other programmes made by discovery channel about Islam should immediately tell you that it is a propaganda arm of the neocons.

sabr*
12-22-2011, 11:30 AM

The majority if not all programs on the brainwasher (TV) is about return on capital. If a show doesn't make money it will
not stay on the airwaves. The intelligent people who do watch the brainwasher usually gravitate to PBS (Public Broadcasting Station)
or the BBC.

Some of the most insightful programs are on PBS regarding practicing Muslims. (Independent Lens, Frontline, NOVA)

Staying online 24/7 isn't healthy either. If we engage in the offline Muslim community and volunteer you
would be surprised the reward and blessings received.

MustafaMc
03-05-2012, 12:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ßlµêßêll
I don't have a problem with someone calling me 'unamerican' but then I don't have a problem with anybody calling me 'unanything', for I am indeed a Muslim first and foremost ...
What does it mean to be an American other than a citizen of that particular country? Today, I am an American citizen and I don't expect that to change any time soon although there remains that possibility if things become unbearable for Muslims here. Today, I am also a Muslim and I hope that I am one until my final breath. So, I would consider that I am an American Muslim as opposed to a Muslim American, the point being that the second word is the subject and first word is adjective describing the subject. That is another way of saying, "I, too, am indeed a Muslim first and foremost!"

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!