/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Student loan

bintYahya
10-28-2011, 12:56 PM
:sl:

I pray and ask yet I'm so desperate about this.

I'm studying to become an RN. I live in Finland so there's no tuition. For the same reason I get about 240 euros per month.

However, in order to get by financially, it doesn't seem to be enough. But to get any further assistance, I'm required to use the loan that the government guarantees for eligible students. The max. amount per academic year (9 months) is 2 700 euros and only after that I can get other forms of assistance. This particular student loan is to be paid back after graduation, so not even a cent before that. But it's Finland, there are no interest-free loans, none. Interest is minimal but still forbidden in any case, as I've understood.

Also, I don't have family or relatives who would or could help me. Working while studying would be too stressful at this point considering my current health issues. And if this money problem continues, it means I have to live where I do now and that tends to become life-threatening.

Does anyone know a reliable opinion on what can be done in this kind of situation? Or could anyone PLEASE find out for me, ask an imam or scholar or whatever about this particular situation?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
10-28-2011, 01:30 PM
:wasalamex

This forum probably isn't the best place to ask these types of questions (though I hear we have a mufti on board these days?) Ideally, you would need to ask a qualified scholar in your locality who can be made fully aware of your exact circumstances and will take that into account to give you an appropriate fatwa (ruling). If that isn't possible, then if you're on Facebook at all, I would recommend asking the question on the page of Shaykh Abu Eesa Niamatullah. He is well known in the UK and he has a good knowledge of financial issues like this one as they relate to Islam. I trust him to give you the correct answer.

And Allah knows best.

aamirsaab
10-28-2011, 08:13 PM
As someone who has studied Islamic banking and finance at degree level and given that you have stated you have no alternative, it is my opinion that you should take the loan.

GuestFellow
10-28-2011, 09:57 PM
Salaam,

I personally did not want to take out a loan. So I decided to study Maths at Open University. No loan is required and the degree costs about £5000. This is a good option if you are working and do not want to get into debt. There is also London University External.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Uthman
10-29-2011, 01:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
As someone who has studied Islamic banking and finance at degree level and given that you have stated you have no alternative, it is my opinion that you should take the loan.
:wasalamex

Are you sure about that bro aamirsaab? I've heard otherwise in that the principle of necessity doesn't apply here since studying in this fashion isn't obligatory, it's a choice. So technically there would be an alternative which is to explore alternative ways of studying or career paths which don't involve dealing in interest. I'm not giving a fatwa here of course since I'm nowhere near qualified to do any such thing - I'm just relaying what I've heard from a person of knowledge.

Again, I would stress the need to take this issue to a qualified scholar, ideally one who lives locally so that they can take into account all the details of your circumstances and give a ruling accordingly. If not, then I would say again that Shaykh Abu Eesa Niamatullah is your best bet, as it were.

And Allah knows best.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!