/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New to the Neighborhood

SpirirtualQuest
11-03-2011, 01:39 AM
Hello, i was wondering what are the main differences between Christianity and Islam? Please tell me the major events that happened in the past that seperated the two religions... And, why do people say "Salam" or other words like that? what do they mean to them?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
marwen
11-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Welcome to the Forum brother.

"Salam" means "peace".
"Assalamu Aalaykom" means "Peace (of Allah be) upon you". to reply we say "Wa Alaykom assalam" (reversed words) which means : "and (peace) upon you".
"Assalamu Aalaykom wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh" means "Peace and mercy of Allah be upon you".

I'm not qualified to answer your question in totality, but here are some general differences between Islam and Christianity, which concerns beliefs (I can't state the difference in rituals) :

- All muslims believe there is One God, Allah, no notion of Father and Son, which is not the case in Christianity.
"Say: He is Allah, the One! (1) Allah, the eternally Besought of all! (2) He begetteth not nor was begotten. (3) And there is none comparable unto Him. (4) " Surat Al-Iklas.

- Muslims believe christianity was originally a true religion from God, and Jesus (as) is a Prophet and a messenger from God.

- Muslims believe Jesus is human, born in a miraculus way.
"The Messiah, son of Mary, was no other than a messenger, messengers (the like of whom) had passed away before him. And his mother was a saintly woman. And they both used to eat (earthly) food. See how We make the revelations clear for them, and see how they are turned away! (75)" Surat Al-Ma'edah [75]

- Christians do not believe Islam is a true religion, and do not believe Muhammed was a messenger of God, unlike the belief of muslims.

- (a big part of) Christians believe Jesus is God.

- The meaning of a "Prophet" is not the same between Islam and Christianity.

- Muslims believe Islam is the original religion of all the prophets
"And verily We have sent among every nation a Messenger (proclaiming) worship Allaah alone and avoid Taaghoot (false deities)" (an-Nahl 16:36)
"The prophets are brothers and their faith is one"(Bukhaaree and Muslim)

- The main belief of muslims is summarized in this verse :
The messenger believeth in that which hath been revealed unto him from his Lord and (so do) believers. Each one believeth in Allah and His angels and His scriptures and His messengers - We make no distinction between any of His messengers - and they say: We hear, and we obey. (Grant us) Thy forgiveness, our Lord. Unto Thee is the journeying. (285) (Surat Al-Baqra [285])

Ğħαrєєвαħ
11-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Salam - peace!

Welcome to the forum!

Hope you enjoy your stay here and find it beneficial towards yourself insha'Allaah - God willingly.

A few of the differences between the faith:

Christianity: Jesus (peace be unto him) is God. There are many christians who not only worship jesus (p) but also his mother, and more. But then we are told christians worship 'One' God but in 3 equalling 1 - the trinity.

Islam: Jesus (peace be unto him) is NOT God and worships god alone as one. Muslims worship the God of Jesus (P). Muslims follow the teachings of Jesus (p). Muslims realise that Jesus (p) worshipped God, so if he worshipped God he cannot be God..Worship the creator rather than the creation - creator of creation.Worship God alone without partners

A chapter from the noble Qur'aan - Chapter 112- The Sincerety

Say: He is Allah, the One and Only; Allah, the Eternal, Absolute; He begetteth not, nor is He begotten; And there is none like unto Him. [Al Qur'aan 112]

I am sure there are more, i hope someone can add them.

format_quote Originally Posted by SpirirtualQuest
And, why do people say "Salam" or other words like that? what do they mean to them?
Salam is the arabic word for peace also common amongst muslims as a greeting, so a muslim usually greets one another with the greetings of peace. what are the other words like that?

I assume you mean these words, they are arabic words..

Inshaa'Allaah - God willingly..

masha'Allaah - Whatever God will's, so it's like a muslims way of saying 'very nice' 'that is great' for example if someone saw something nice or the birth of a baby.

subhaan'Allaah - Glory be to God.

Alhamdulilaah - All praise are due to God..

and more .. This is the arabic language of these words, its just another way of showing were 'one people' regardless of race, background, also some people use them out of their personal choice.

I hope someone can add more if there is a need for more and correct me if ive said anything wrong.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!