/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hadith on the excellence of seeking knowledge

Luthfa123
11-03-2011, 02:48 AM
In the hadeeth of Abee ad-Dardaa’ رضي الله عنه the Messenger (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said:

"He who treads a path in search of knowledge, Allaah will direct him to tread a path from the paths of Paradise…The Angels lower their wings for the student of knowledge in approval of what he does. All in the heavens and earth and the fish in the depth of the water seek forgiveness for the scholar, and the superiority of the scholar over the worshipper is like the superiority of the full moon at night over the rest of the stars. Verily, the the scholars are the heirs to the Prophets, verily the Prophets did not bequeath deenars or dirhams. All they left behind was knowledge, so whoever takes it, has indeed acquired a huge fortune." [Al-Musnad, 5/196., Also related by Aboo Daawood, 3/317; at-Tirmidhee, 5/49; Ibn Maajah, 1/81; Ad-Daarimee, 1/98 and Ibn Hibbaan, 1/152 (al-Ihsaan). It was declared saheeh by Imaam al-Albaanee in his Saheeh al-Jaami' 5/302.]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Crystal
12-14-2011, 08:23 PM
I have also come across other hadiths that talk about seeking knowledge and also in the quran I can see that some verses indicate to search for the answers in life. However i do have a problem with one hadith in which it tells us not to ask too many questions in religion. Isn't this in contradiction with the other hadiths/quran? Also is there a certain reason why prophet Muhammad said this - was it a certain event? And here is the hadith I am referring to;

Narrated by Al-Mughira
The Prophet said, "Allah has forbidden you ( 1 ) to be undutiful to your mothers (2) to withhold (what you should give) or (3) demand (what you do not deserve), and (4) to bury your daughters alive. And Allah has disliked that (A) you talk too much about others ( B), ask too many questions (in religion), or (C) waste your property."

Sahih Bukhari; book 73; no.6

Perseveranze
12-14-2011, 08:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crystal
I have also come across other hadiths that talk about seeking knowledge and also in the quran I can see that some verses indicate to search for the answers in life. However i do have a problem with one hadith in which it tells us not to ask too many questions in religion. Isn't this in contradiction with the other hadiths/quran? Also is there a certain reason why prophet Muhammad said this - was it a certain event? And here is the hadith I am referring to;

Narrated by Al-Mughira
The Prophet said, "Allah has forbidden you ( 1 ) to be undutiful to your mothers (2) to withhold (what you should give) or (3) demand (what you do not deserve), and (4) to bury your daughters alive. And Allah has disliked that (A) you talk too much about others ( B), ask too many questions (in religion), or (C) waste your property."

Sahih Bukhari; book 73; no.6
Asalaamu Alaikum,

You have to look at that hadith in context. From my understanding, this is refering to trivial questions that have no real answer and no real benefit to know. Such as;

"What came before God?"
"How big is God's throne?"

etc.

If there's a hadith you don't understand, then please use this Islamic search website (link in signature) to find answers easier. I did a quick search and maybe these links can be helpful to you -

http://onislam.net/english/ask-about...l/167195?Soul=
http://www.islamicboard.com/clarific...out-faith.html
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/show...g-this-hadeeth

Crystal
12-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Alright thanks for those links perserveranze

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!