/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Any Mosque classes in East London for new women converts?

Marina-Aisha
11-05-2011, 08:13 PM
is there any mosque that does introductory classes to islam to non-muslims? like in east london barking/dagenham?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
11-05-2011, 08:40 PM
:salamext:

A sister who newly wants to convert to Islam is asking;

Is there any mosque that does introductory classes to islam to non-muslims? like in east london barking/dagenham?

Please answer soon, may Allah reward you.

Insaanah
11-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Peace Marina,

East London Mosque will probably be the best for you inshaa'Allah.

New Muslims

As more people find out about Islam, some decide to convert. The East London Mosque provides advice, support and friendship. Weekly sessions are also provided so that they can learn to pray, read the Qur‘an and perform the other duties that Muslims are required to carry out.
Source: http://www.eastlondonmosque.org.uk/s...%20&%20Support

Last time I heard (that was in Feb this year), East London Mosque were doing drop-in classes at 2pm every Saturday afternoon where anybody interested in Islam can simply turn up, learn about Islam, see the mosque, get literature, and afterwards ask questions on a one to one basis. etc. I'm not sure if they're still doing that, but here's their phone number: 020 7650 3000.

Even if they're not doing the classes, they'll still be most welcoming to you. In that case, phone them and arrange an appointment. Explain that you would like to get some more information on Islam, and may consider reverting and is it possible for you to come and speak to someone that can spare some time to help. Then one of the imams may either arrange a time themselves, or may arrange for one of the knowledgable sisters to speak to you, or they may even say just pop in at any time. I think they will probably have literature that you can take away and read too. As a note, there is a chance the phone may not be answered during prayer times (times are displayed on the website), just try again later if it isn't.

The contact details, if you need them, are here: http://www.eastlondonmosque.org.uk/contact

Marina-Aisha
11-05-2011, 09:20 PM
thank you sooo much ill ring on monday!! i just want to know as much as possible :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IB-Staff
11-05-2011, 09:24 PM
^ Wish you all the best we will pray for you :)

Jazzakallah sister Insaanah for your help.

Marina-Aisha
11-05-2011, 09:27 PM
so if i do meet someone at the mosque do i have to wear somethig to cover my hair?i know u have to be covered but the hair also right?

Insaanah
11-05-2011, 10:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marina28
so if i do meet someone at the mosque do i have to wear somethig to cover my hair?i know u have to be covered but the hair also right?
It's best if you do. Go modestly dressed, arms and legs covered, and hair too, even if it's with a long scarf wrapped round, and no figure hugging clothes. Don't try to shake the hands of any men, though you're free to do so with any sisters. With regards to shoes you may have to remove them in certain specific areas around the mosque, such as outside the prayer room.

And please make sure you ask lots of questions, perhaps write them down on paper and take them with you so you don't forget something you meant to ask.

And we're all here to help you too.

Peace.

Ummshareef
11-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Yes, it would be respectful, even as a non-Muslim, to cover your hair and neck when you visit the mosque. Modesty is considered very important by Muslims and by covering you will be showing respect that will be very much appreciated.

Marina-Aisha
11-05-2011, 11:08 PM
okay thanx u guys thats very helpful

Abz2000
11-06-2011, 12:17 AM
you may find the guy who answers the phone unhelpful, i've had issues with him in the past, i think he's a bored volunteer.
please don't let it get to you.
the imam is very helpful and may come and speak with you directly if your spouse is there.
he is also quite knowledgeable and accommodating.
they have twice-weekly english lectures (wednesday and friday evenings) and sometimes on other days, new muslims circle saturday 2pm - 5pm.
the ladies section is upstairs overlooking the main hall.
all in all - it feels like quite a decent mosque and they strive to make new facilities available.
friday sermons are in arabic, english and bengali, making it easy for the majority to comprehend

here's a list of activities
http://www.eastlondonmosque.org.uk/u...Activities.pdf

Marina-Aisha
11-06-2011, 01:24 AM
oh they dont do them in the day? i have two children so i cant really go in evening..my partner he always working ...

Abz2000
11-06-2011, 01:35 AM
the new muslims circle is saturday 2pm - 5pm.

Marina-Aisha
11-06-2011, 09:32 AM
ooh thats great thanx

Marina-Aisha
04-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Sorry to bump my own thread but just yesterday I finally went to new Muslim group at east London mosque it was amazing! I met some really nice sisters I ask imam bout the question bout my new job that I want to do( he just told me I should only look if it's unavoidable but should low my gaze) and we ha discussion bout purification, can't wait to go next week :p also when i converted there I rung before I went to the mosque the guy on the phone was sooo unhelpful! Like u said hahaha :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!