/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Woman wins right to Mecca trip

islamica
11-09-2011, 06:10 AM
Woman wins right to Mecca trip

BY TINA SFONDELES - October 13, 2011

A Muslim woman has won her fight against a west suburban school district after being denied unpaid leave to go on a religious pilgrimage to Mecca.

The U.S. Department of Justice on Thursday announced it settled Safoorah Khan’s religious discrimination lawsuit against the Berkeley School District, forcing the district to pay $75,000 in lost back pay, compensatory damages and attorneys’ fees.

The district also will have to develop a policy accommodating religions consistent with the Civil Rights Acts to ensure something similar will not happen again.

Khan, a teacher at MacArthur Middle School, requested an unpaid leave of absence in December 2008 to perform hajj — a pilgrimage required by Islam — but was told she had to choose between her job and her religious beliefs. She resigned.

“I’m glad that we settled and I hope this does set a precedent,” Khan said. “I hope they realize that hajj means a lot to Muslims and there will be more and more people taking the trip. I hope this helps people and their employers to accommodate Muslims and their requests.”

According to the settlement, the district must also provide mandatory training on religious accommodations to all board of education members and school supervisors.

Khan, now 30, says she went to Mecca, Saudi Arabia, the year she resigned.

“It’s required once in our lifetime at the earliest opportunity you can get,” she said.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
User29123
11-10-2011, 06:17 PM
There are always these kind of stories, I thought USA was supposed to be "freedom of speech" and "religious freedom" looks like that does not exist.

Ramadhan
11-11-2011, 01:54 AM
subhanallah ... I am really admiring this woman's faith and courage.

I hope more and more muslims are becoming like her.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!