/* */

PDA

View Full Version : University Education

GuestFellow
11-09-2011, 05:29 PM
:sl:

Do any members regret going to University? Share your views.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MartyrX
11-10-2011, 12:11 AM
I went to a technical college. I certainly wish I had gone somewhere else or gone for something else.

Salahudeen
11-10-2011, 01:11 AM
I regret studying the subject I did, wish I did something with better prospects that people were dependent upon. That way I could also offer my skills for free and benefit the poor.

ardianto
11-10-2011, 09:36 AM
What is our motivation to study in university ? gaining knowledge or just to get degree ?

If we study in university to gain knowledge, we will never regret although later we work on the field that different than our majors in university, because we always realize, every knowledge is useful.

But if we study in university only to get degree and later we don't get a job that fit with our degree, we will start to regret and blame ourselves "Why I chose this majors ? why not other majors ?"

People say, degree is a passport to get specific job. Maybe they right, but passport is not visa. If we have passport but the destination country refuse to give us visa to entering this country, what can we do ?. If we have degree but those companies do not accept us to work there, what can we do ?

It's ok if you want to get degree, but do not study in university only to get degree. Convince yourself "I study in university to gain knowledge" and learn seriously. If you can't get a job that fit with your degree, you still can use your knowledge in other fields.

Remember, there is no useless knowledge. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aadil77
11-10-2011, 10:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
What is our motivation to study in university ? gaining knowledge or just to get degree ?

If we study in university to gain knowledge, we will never regret although later we work on the field that different than our majors in university, because we always realize, every knowledge is useful.

But if we study in university only to get degree and later we don't get a job that fit with our degree, we will start to regret and blame ourselves "Why I chose this majors ? why not other majors ?"

People say, degree is a passport to get specific job. Maybe they right, but passport is not visa. If we have passport but the destination country refuse to give us visa to entering this country, what can we do ?. If we have degree but those companies do not accept us to work there, what can we do ?

It's ok if you want to get degree, but do not study in university only to get degree. Convince yourself "I study in university to gain knowledge" and learn seriously. If you can't get a job that fit with your degree, you still can use your knowledge in other fields.

Remember, there is no useless knowledge. :)
Now a days a degree is just an entry to ticket to get a job in a specific field. 90% of the stuff you learn will not be used during your employment but its just a requirement of most companies.

esperanza
11-10-2011, 12:03 PM
assalam alaykum

how can someone regret going to university,,, maybe you can\ regret the wrong subjet....but to study no..knowledge is one of the most important things for us to have in this world and learning is never wasted

many families struggle just to give their children that chance give up and sdsacrifice to send their children and educate them

an eduation can never be wasted...

and yes there are many people with degrees unemployed ,but you still have a better hance than those without

ardianto
11-10-2011, 12:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Now a days a degree is just an entry to ticket to get a job in a specific field. 90% of the stuff you learn will not be used during your employment but its just a requirement of most companies.
If I have ticket to an exhibition event I automatically can enter the exhibition hall. But if someone has degree in law, is he automatically will works in govt or in law firms ?. That's why people say degree is passport, not ticket.

Bro, there is no useless knowledge. Maybe not be used today, but one day it would be useful.

GuestFellow
11-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Interesting responses.

I find it hard to believe that people want to go University to gain knowledge, especially when they will end up in debt. Most want a stable and rewarding career. If you truly want to seek knowledge, all you need to do is buy the books or rent them from a library. No need to go University.

ardianto
11-10-2011, 04:00 PM
I know, many members here have experience in working interview as a job seekers. But how many members here who have experience as interviewer like me ?.

Let me tell the truth, degree without knowledge is nothing.

Asiyah3
11-10-2011, 06:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
Interesting responses.

I find it hard to believe that people want to go University to gain knowledge, especially when they will end up in debt. Most want a stable and rewarding career. If you truly want to seek knowledge, all you need to do is buy the books or rent them from a library. No need to go University.
A knowledge which is not used, is pointless.

Asiyah3
11-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Intention. If a person goes to university having the right intention, seeking Allah's pleasure, intending to serve His creation by his knowledge and skills, making use of his life in creating goodness to the world, I wouldn't understand if this person would regret a deed he did seeking Allah's swt face.

It could be that something we see as bad/regretful is in fact good for us, likewise we may see something as good while it's bad for us.

GuestFellow
11-10-2011, 08:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asiyah3
A knowledge which is not used, is pointless.
Salaam,

What do you mean knowledge not being used?

MartyrX
11-10-2011, 08:36 PM
I wish I had gone to college earlier and gone into religious studies. I'd like to do that now, and I've been debating on trying to go to a small college just for further education. Yes I do my independent research of religion, but I think I'd be good in that field.

Asiyah3
11-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Salaam,

What do you mean knowledge not being used?
I mean applying or putting it into practice, using it for some benefit.

For example, if you have knowledge about medicine, but you don't treat people or practice your knowledge, you don't differ from those who don't have medical knowledge.

Huzzy_786
11-10-2011, 09:10 PM
I am 15 here, Still go school... Reading some of the posts above has left me confused :hiding:

However, I'll mostly be doing alim course.. Make dua for me.

GuestFellow
11-10-2011, 10:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asiyah3
I mean applying or putting it into practice, using it for some benefit.

For example, if you have knowledge about medicine, but you don't treat people or practice your knowledge, you don't differ from those who don't have medical knowledge.
I see now.

I don't think you can always apply what you have learnt. For example, I have been reading about US financing of Nazi Germany and Bolshevik revolution. This knowledge is extremely beneficial to me because I see world politics differently from other people. How would I apply this?

ILuvAllah
01-05-2012, 11:35 PM
I've took several attempts to get a degree but I didnt enjoy any of the subjects I chose. It never worked for me and I dont know why, either I became ill or I couldnt take the pressure or I lost interest. Now I'm studying Islamic studies and Alhamdulillah I'm enjoying every bit of it :)

sis muslimah
01-06-2012, 01:29 AM
Am planning to do a degree online instead inshallah

syilla
01-06-2012, 01:57 AM
subhanallah i have regret going to school i wish someone can home school me but can't find any experience or a good one even for my son :hmm:

Hiraislam
06-28-2012, 05:59 AM
I often regret to attend lectures which annoy me but I never regret to go to university.

Asiyah3
06-29-2012, 10:24 PM
I see now.

I don't think you can always apply what you have learnt. For example, I have been reading about US financing of Nazi Germany and Bolshevik revolution. This knowledge is extremely beneficial to me because I see world politics differently from other people. How would I apply this?
If it clears your heart, or eyes in this case, that's applying it I suppose.

Muhammad
06-29-2012, 11:28 PM
:sl:

Here's an article which seems to touch on some of the points mentioned in this thread. I think the comments made in response to it, at the bottom, may also be useful to read:

http://www.islam21c.com/islamic-thou...igher-learning-

Asiyah3
06-30-2012, 03:47 PM
This aim it seems, works to allow the student’s Ilm (knowledge) tobenefit him. There is a Hadith of the Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alihi Wa Sallam) in which Zaid ibn Alqam reported that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alihi Wa Sallam) used to supplicate: ‘I seek refuge in You [Allah] from […] the knowledge which does not benefit…’ (Muslim)
There is also another du'aa we make after waking up/in the morning:

Allahumma inni as'aluka 'Ilman naafi'an (Allahumma I ask you beneficial knowledge), wa rizqan tayyiban, wa 'amalan mutaqabbalan

Source: Fortress of the Muslim Invocations from the Quran & Sunnah

If we'd follow this, it would certainly save us a lot of time.

Dixon states that ‘the decision to pursue a higher education course is not one that should be taken lightly’[7] and this is indeed true. A person needs to reflect deeply on their reasons for going to, returning to or sending their offspring to University, making sure it is not simply money-orientated.
If we do it for the sake of Allah, it would be worship, and we'd be rewarded for it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!