/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Other People's Point of View

Flame of Hope
11-09-2011, 07:37 PM
:sl:

How important is other people's point of view to you?

How often do you put yourself in other people's shoes and think from their perspective?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
marwen
11-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Other points of view are really important for us. No matter how much we learn and how strong convictions we have, some day we will find that part of our knowledge is incorrect because we heard another point of view or discovered another way of thinking.
We should not close the doors for other ideas, and we should not be afraid of opposing opinions, we should take them into consideration if we are sincere with ourselves. If the other opinion turns to be true, then we will learn and correct ourselves. If it turns to be wrong , then we learn again, we learn to avoid such position based on reason.

Flame of Hope
11-09-2011, 10:26 PM

Aha! But the big question is..... do we really live in that way? Do we really put ourselves in other people's shoes and try to understand their pain and anguish?

Or are we more busy pushing our own opinions on others?

جوري
11-09-2011, 11:27 PM
opinions & empathy are two separate things. Emotional anguish in and of itself is a subjective thing but it is the human condition so it is very few people that can't relate to it unless their hearts are terribly hardened.

I value the opinion of Muslims, or people who genuinely have something to teach me.. those folks are far and in between. I think we can all distinguish between the morsels and the bull.. there's usually a heap full of crap before some pearls can be cultivated..

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Flame of Hope
11-10-2011, 03:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ßlµêßêll
I value the opinion of Muslims, or people who genuinely have something to teach me.. those folks are far and in between.

What about the opinions of people who are not Muslim? Or opinions of people that differ from yours?

جوري
11-10-2011, 05:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Riham

What about the opinions of people who are not Muslim? Or opinions of people that differ from yours?
well like I said if they've something valuable to teach but it's rare outside of academia anyway and sometimes even there. I certainly wouldn't look on the net for wisdom ...

Flame of Hope
11-10-2011, 05:11 AM

I am of the opinion that all people have something of value to teach us. I may not agree with everything they say. But there is always something that I can learn from them.

جوري
11-10-2011, 05:51 AM
It's indeed a personal judgement ...

sister herb
11-10-2011, 05:58 AM
Salam alaykum

I agree, dear Riham. Even the fooliest person on the earth might have something to teach me.

Flame of Hope
11-10-2011, 06:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
Salam alaykum

I agree, dear Riham. Even the fooliest person on the earth might have something to teach me.
:wa:

Yes..... there's also something called.... learning from other people's mistakes.

Even people who are "evil" teach us something. They teach us how NOT to be. lol.

Innocent Soul
11-10-2011, 03:24 PM
^ Yeah it's true.

Never regret having chosen or having met wrong people because no one can teach you the right lesson better than the wrong people.

GuestFellow
11-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Salaam,

I don't know to be honest.

Fakrun
11-11-2011, 10:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Riham
How important is other people's point of view to you?

How often do you put yourself in other people's shoes and think from their perspective?
Asalaamu alaikum,

Lets see, I've been learning about Islam and interacting with Muslims for.....well, it was a year in July. That year, I did Ramadan for 12 days. I prayed (my way) 5 times a day and discovered that swearing had become so integrated in my daily speech that I didn't even notice how much till I tried NOT to swear.

And on the twelfth day...and on the 12th day I started to hallucinate. What I did not know was that my body had reacted badly to the fast and so started to hoard the anti-seizure medication I have to take daily so I was overdosing on my medication. I ended up in bed for nearly a week. Two days to level my meds back out and the rest of the time dealing with the migraine which was also a side effect of the hallucinations. My epilepsy is caused by a cavernoma (abnormally formed vein) in the left temporal tip of my brain which was discovered in 2005.

I stuck with learning though because it was interesting. I never started learning with the intention to revert and the more I learned, the more I respected Islam and the more it reenforced my own beliefs and way of thinking. In some ways, it ran nearly word for word what my own belief traditions and laws are, the laws of "The Great Law Of Peace", which is the basic for the Iroquois Confederacy.

Does that answer your question??

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!