/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Soldier found guilty of murdering Afghans

جوري
11-11-2011, 12:36 AM
Soldier found guilty of murdering Afghans

By Patrick Oppmann, CNN
updated 7:10 PM EST, Thu November 10, 2011

Staff Sgt. Calvin Gibbs, seen here in Kandahar province, Afghanistan, in 2010, now faces murder charges.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• NEW: The sentencing phase begins; Gibbs faces a maximum of life in prison
  • A military panel finds Staff Sgt. Calvin Gibbs guilty of all charges against him
  • Prosecutors: Gibbs' platoon staged killings of civilians as firefights with Taliban
  • Defense says Gibbs' accusers were high on hashish at the time

Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington (CNN) -- A military court-martial Thursday found Army Staff Sgt. Calvin Gibbs guilty of murdering three Afghan civilians, illegally cutting off pieces of their corpses to keep as "souvenirs" and planting weapons to make the men appear as if they were Taliban fighters killed in legitimate firefights.
He faces a maximum sentence of life in military prison without parole. The sentencing phase of the trial began immediately after the guilty verdict from the five-member panel was read.
Gibbs is the highest ranking of five soldiers charged with being part of a rogue "kill squad" that targeted civilians. Another seven soldiers also were charged with lesser crimes including abusing drugs, keeping "off the books" weapons and intimidating a fellow soldier not to speak out against the platoon's alleged killings.
Gibbs had pleaded not guilty.
A prosecutor described Gibbs as a "recruiting poster" soldier. But the tall, clean-cut Gibbs and the "kill squad" he was convicted of leading turned into a public-relations nightmare for the military.
"Sgt. Gibbs had a charisma, he had a 'follow me' personality," Maj. Robert Stelle, a prosecutor in the case, told the court in closing arguments Wednesday. "But it was all a bunch of crap, he had his own mission: murder and depravity."
The murders Gibbs is accused of committing took place over a period of five months last year while Gibbs led the 3rd Platoon of the Army¹s 5th Stryker Brigade in Kandahar Province, Afghanistan.
Gibbs' platoon was tasked with patrolling small villages in the area to build relationships with an Afghan population wary of the U.S. presence in their country. Instead, prosecutors said Gibbs and a small group of rogue soldiers allegedly plotted to murder civilians and then planted weapons on them so they appeared to be Taliban attackers.
"Selling a fake engagement as a real engagement, that's what they were doing," Stelle told the court.
In court testimony, Gibbs said he did not execute anyone. Prosecutors said Gibbs participated in the killings of three unarmed civilians: two farmers and a village cleric.
Gibbs said he killed one of the men but he claimed it was in self defense. However, the staff sergeant admitted to ripping and cutting off fingers of all three men he was charged with killing. He kept the body parts, he said, to give to soldiers he favored or to intimidate soldiers he disliked.
"I was numb to the situation," Gibbs told the court about why he taken the body parts. "I wasn't thinking; it's sickening. I am embarrassed."
Gibbs also admitted to posing for photos with bodies against military regulations.
"People wanted to prove they were there," Gibbs replied when asked by his attorney why the soldiers took the photos. The Army later apologized after the photos were leaked to the press.
Gibbs appeared shocked after the verdict was read and his wife, Army Spec. Chelsy Gibbs, began to cry. According to court records, she filed for divorce from Staff Sgt. Gibbs in August and asked for guardianship of their 3-year-old son.
The panel of three officers and two enlisted soldiers started deliberating in a military courtroom near Tacoma shortly before 10 a.m. (1 p.m. ET) and returned its verdict around 3 p.m. (6 p.m. ET).
Phillip Stackhouse, Gibbs' defense attorney, had argued other soldiers were framing his client. Three soldiers pleaded guilty to the killings and agreed to testify against Gibbs as part of plea deals.
"What if there is no hard evidence other than what you have heard from that witness stand?" Stackhouse said Wednesday. Some witnesses also admitted to smoking hashish they obtained from Afghan translators. Their testimony, Stackhouse said, "came under a cloud of hash."
Stackhouse argued Gibbs wasn't where other witnesses said he was during the engagements. And, according to Stackhouse, in February 2010 Gibbs couldn't have smuggled an AK-47 in his backpack into a village where prosecutors said he then planted the assault rifle on the body of an Afghan man he had killed. Grasping an AK-47, Stackhouse showed the rifle would not fully fit into a soldier's backpack.
Prosecutors countered that Gibbs had used a model of the rifle that has a shorter muzzle and could be concealed.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/10/justic...html?hpt=hp_t1

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
11-11-2011, 12:39 AM
The worst of pigs walahi..
Everything about them is anti-God and anti-nature
video games to play in their leisure time glamorize killing afghans like it is normal, sex unto rape or deviation in lieu of procreation, food into obesity instead of survival, genetically modified food unto cancer or withholding from the poor.

Everything that the human spirit which is called upon fitrah is meant to, they go against & believe that it is progress & civility!

IslamicRevival
11-11-2011, 01:49 AM
Same old crap, different day, I really dont care no more and have no hope for humanity

جوري
11-11-2011, 01:52 AM
I care.. It is unfortunate how long Afghanistan has been ravaged and the laid to waste sprawled out, wounded for every filthy cretin to have at while the majority of Muslims do nothing or think 'well what can we do?'... even just feeling bad in our hearts for an evil we can't change is the lowest form of iman..

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IslamicRevival
11-11-2011, 02:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ßlµêßêll
I care.. It is unfortunate how long Afghanistan has been ravaged and the laid to waste sprawled out, wounded for every filthy cretin to have at while the majority of Muslims do nothing or think 'well what can we do?'... even just feeling bad in our hearts for an evil we can't change is the lowest form of iman..

What can we do? Im just sick of it all, there's too much injustice in this world and i cant handle it anymore

جوري
11-11-2011, 02:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Vision
What can we do?
There's alot we can do.. from du3a, to charity to simple things like writing out against it, or being aware of it and there are those who are able to physically fight against. I do agree that evil is in abundance and can be overwhelming but persistence & faith can change many wrong things..

Abz2000
11-11-2011, 02:32 AM
“The believers, men and women, are Awliyaa’ (helpers, supporters, friends, protectors) of one another; they enjoin (on the people) Al‑Ma‘roof (good), and forbid (people) from Al‑Munkar (evil)”
[al-Tawbah 9:71]

“Let there arise out of you a group of people inviting to all that is good (Islam), enjoining Al-Ma‘roof (good) and forbidding Al-Munkar (evil)”
[Aal ‘Imraan 3:104]

“You are the best of peoples ever raised up for mankind; you enjoin Al-Ma‘roof (good) and forbid Al‑Munkar (evil)”
[Aal ‘Imraan 3:110]

There are many verses which speak of enjoining what is good and forbidding what is evil;
that is because of the importance of this issue and the great need that exists for it.

According to a saheeh hadeeth, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
“Whoever among you sees an evil action, let him change it with his hand [by taking action];
if he cannot, then with his tongue [by speaking out];
and if he cannot, then with his heart [by at least hating it and believing that it is wrong],
and that is the weakest of faith.”

Narrated by Muslim in his Saheeh.

even speaking causes people to reflect and can excite a mass movement.

the worst part about this is that the governments who are perpetrating this know that it is a false and criminal war, and some people even justify it in their minds with things like "we need the oil" (i.e outright robbery and murder)!
giving a different side to the argument changes perceptions which is why so many billions are spent on media conditioning. (people seem to have a sheep mentality where their perceptions are largely shaped by observing what is socially acceptable and what's not, even in the dress they wear and food they eat.
we can at least do our part by speaking out and giving a righteous angle - never know who may pause to think, who or how many may in turn have the power to help effect change.

these men changed the world and rallied whole societies just by calling:
21. Therefore do thou give admonition, for thou art one to admonish.
22. Thou art not one to manage (men's) affairs.
23. But if any turn away and reject Allah,-
24. Allah will punish him with a mighty Punishment,
25. For to Us will be their return;
26. Then it will be for Us to call them to account.
Quran 88

Tawangar
11-11-2011, 05:50 AM
Salamu alaikum.
Yes, I remember this. As a matter of fact, I put it on my blog here: http://www.drabutamim.blogspot.com/v...***-solja.html

Fakrun
11-11-2011, 12:24 PM
video games to play in their leisure time glamorize killing afghans like it is normal, sex unto rape or deviation in lieu of procreation, food into obesity instead of survival, genetically modified food unto cancer or withholding from the poor.

Everything that the human spirit which is called upon fitrah is meant to, they go against & believe that it is progress & civility!
Asalaamu alaikum,

At all times, we must remember that we must judge people as individuals, not as lump sums.

Quran 3:113
They are not [all] the same; among the People of the Scripture is a community standing [in obedience], reciting the verses of Allah during periods of the night and prostrating [in prayer].

5:8
O you who have believed, be persistently standing firm for Allah , witnesses in justice, and do not let the hatred of a people prevent you from being just. Be just; that is nearer to righteousness. And fear Allah ; indeed, Allah is Acquainted with what you do.

5:42
[They are] avid listeners to falsehood, devourers of [what is] unlawful. So if they come to you, [O Muhammad], judge between them or turn away from them. And if you turn away from them - never will they harm you at all. And if you judge, judge between them with justice. Indeed, Allah loves those who act justly.

5:56
And whoever is an ally of Allah and His Messenger and those who have believed - indeed, the party of Allah - they will be the predominant.

3:199
And indeed, among the People of the Scripture are those who believe in Allah and what was revealed to you and what was revealed to them, [being] humbly submissive to Allah . They do not exchange the verses of Allah for a small price. Those will have their reward with their Lord. Indeed, Allah is swift in account.

Volumn 003, Book 043, Hadith Number 624.
-----------------------------------------
Narated By Anas : Allah's Apostle said, "Help your brother, whether he is an oppressor or he is an oppressed one. People asked, "O Allah's Apostle! It is all right to help him if he is oppressed, but how should we help him if he is an oppressor?" The Prophet said, "By preventing him from oppressing others."

Volumn 003, Book 043, Hadith Number 627.
Narated By Ibn 'Umar : The Prophet said, "Oppression will be a darkness on the Day of Resurrection."

Volumn 003, Book 043, Hadith Number 629.
Narated By Abu Huraira : Allah's Apostle said, "Whoever has oppressed another person concerning his reputation or anything else, he should beg him to forgive him before the Day of Resurrection when there will be no money (to compensate for wrong deeds), but if he has good deeds, those good deeds will be taken from him according to his oppression which he has done, and if he has no good deeds, the sins of the oppressed person will be loaded on him."

Volumn 008, Book 073, Hadith Number 080.
Narated By 'Aisha : A man asked permission to enter upon Allah's Apostle. The Prophet said, "Admit him. What an evil brother of his people or a son of his people." But when the man entered, the Prophet spoke to him in a very polite manner. (And when that person left) I said, "O Allah's Apostle! You had said what you had said, yet you spoke to him in a very polite manner?" The Prophet said, "O 'Aisha! The worst people are those whom the people desert or leave in order to save themselves from their dirty language or from their transgression."

sister herb
11-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Same old crap, different day, I really dont care no more and have no hope for humanity
Salam alaykum

keeping you as human who respect humanity you have to care.

sister herb
11-11-2011, 03:59 PM

Every countries in war brainwash their soldiers thinking killing enemies is ok. We can see it through of history.

Enemies aren´t humans as us, they are evil animals. War now aren´t any different.

Fakrun
11-11-2011, 04:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
Every countries in war brainwash their soldiers thinking killing enemies is ok. We can see it through of history.

Enemies aren´t humans as us, they are evil animals. War now aren´t any different.
Asalaamu alaikum,

Correct....each side does the same thing...telling their fighters, "You are doing what is right and honorable.". To me, both are just different sides of the same coin. War itself should be our enemy, not people of religion or politics.

Both sides fight. Both sides die. Both sides cry. Both sides have innocent victims. Both sides get angry. Both side fight some more. One big vicious circle.

WE can help break that circle by blinding ourselves to our differences and magnifying our similarities.

GuestFellow
11-11-2011, 04:09 PM
#

Salaam,

Ah you do care, otherwise you wouldn't be upset.

جوري
11-11-2011, 11:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fakrun
WE can help break that circle by blinding ourselves to our differences and magnifying our similarities.
I disagree!
Every society has its criminals and criminals have no place in society. If you end up with cancer would you want treatment to rid you of the disease or would you like one to 'blind you to the difference and magnify the similarities' Well they're both cells right? let em grow side by side? In such a case a cancer will flourish and you'll die.. and it is no different to the human cancers that exist in society!
It is unfortunate that one becomes jaded and loses the reasons they gauge in battle, some do it out of greed and blood thirst and let's face it that's the only reasons allied forces or the U.S and its poodles are ravaging that part of the world at all. And others do it for freedom, liberation & justice.

So they're not all the same nor are they in the sight of God. I don't find what happened here acceptable and I think every person who joins western forces to ravage other nations out of their wealth, natural resources, livestock or the worst of all crimes, war crimes against humanity and human dignity deserves our contempt and protest in whatever form!

(104) وَلاَ تَهِنُواْ فِي ابْتِغَاء الْقَوْمِ إِن تَكُونُواْ تَأْلَمُونَ فَإِنَّهُمْ يَأْلَمُونَ كَمَا تَأْلَمونَ وَتَرْجُونَ مِنَ اللّهِ مَا لاَ يَرْجُونَ وَكَانَ اللّهُ عَلِيمًا حَكِيمًا

104. " And do not flag in pursuit of the enemy. If you suffer pain, then they also suffer pain as you suffer. But you hope from Allah what they do not hope. And Allah is All-Knowing, All-Wise. "

Don't self congratulate one another that you've found political correctness in spite of other people's plights or think that there's sameness or equality in warfare!

best

sister herb
11-12-2011, 05:34 AM
This is we MUST do.

This is basic of humanity.

Thanks dear about this comment.

Fakrun
11-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

I disagree!
Every society has its criminals and criminals have no place in society.
Oh I quite agree!

If you end up with cancer would you want treatment to rid you of the disease or would you like one to 'blind you to the difference and magnify the similarities' Well they're both cells right? let em grow side by side? In such a case a cancer will flourish and you'll die.. and it is no different to the human cancers that exist in society!
Now science I like! I personally experience something like this. I have what's called a Cavernoma in my brain. Its a malformation of a blood vessal that is weak and when it leaks, causes seizures. With each leakage, it creates scar tissue. As the scar tissue grows, it expands further and further into parts of my brain that are actively used. If it bursts, I could die instantly. What should I do? Have surgery to cut it out or take steps to control the seizures? Cutting it out would mean possibly destroying active brain matter and I could die in the process while leaving it in, while certainly risking the scar tissue developing, it only develops when it bleeds. Currently, its controlled and hasn't bled for a while, Alhamdulilah! So I take the medication to control the seizures and have yearly MRI's to monitor the Cavernoma's growth. I live with the fear of death every day. That's where faith and trust in Allah's mercy comes in. My 3 year old son needs me right now. I pray that I can remain with him until such time as he does not need me and can understand what is going on.

It is unfortunate that one becomes jaded and loses the reasons they gauge in battle, some do it out of greed and blood thirst...
Did you read what you wrote. You may have missed it. "SOME do it.."

3:113
They are not [all] the same; among the People of the Scripture is a community standing [in obedience], reciting the verses of Allah during periods of the night and prostrating [in prayer].

So they're not all the same nor are they in the sight of God. I don't find what happened here acceptable...
what this group of individual soldiers did is BEYOND reprehensible! They are vile evil creatures, HOWEVER, you are forgetting that they are individuals, NOT the whole.

O you who have believed, be persistently standing firm for Allah , witnesses in justice, and do not let the hatred of a people prevent you from being just. Be just; that is nearer to righteousness. And fear Allah ; indeed, Allah is Acquainted with what you do.

and I think every person who joins western forces to ravage other nations out of their wealth, natural resources, livestock or the worst of all crimes, war crimes against humanity and human dignity deserves our contempt and protest in whatever form!
What if the forces are not Western? You made a blanket statement here. It implies that only western forces commit ravages and war crimes and that only western nations deserve contempt and protest. As I said earlier, "War itself should be our enemy, not people of religion or politics.". (I meant or religion...that was a typo). What causes war? Hatred based on misinformation, misunderstanding and miscommunication. By defeating those things, misinformation, misunderstanding and miscommunication, we break that cycle of hate/war-hate more/war more.

Don't self congratulate one another that you've found political correctness in spite of other people's plights or think that there's sameness or equality in warfare!
So is this statement false, "Both sides fight. Both sides die. Both sides cry. Both sides have innocent victims."?

best[/QUOTE]

جوري
11-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum,
wa3lykoum aslaam

Oh I quite agree!
Ok

Now science I like! I personally experience something like this. I have what's called a Cavernoma in my brain. Its a malformation of a blood vessal that is weak and when it leaks, causes seizures. With each leakage, it creates scar tissue. As the scar tissue grows, it expands further and further into parts of my brain that are actively used. If it bursts, I could die instantly. What should I do? Have surgery to cut it out or take steps to control the seizures? Cutting it out would mean possibly destroying active brain matter and I could die in the process while leaving it in, while certainly risking the scar tissue developing, it only develops when it bleeds. Currently, its controlled and hasn't bled for a while, Alhamdulilah! So I take the medication to control the seizures and have yearly MRI's to monitor the Cavernoma's growth. I live with the fear of death every day. That's where faith and trust in Allah's mercy comes in. My 3 year old son needs me right now. I pray that I can remain with him until such time as he does not need me and can understand what is going on.
That's a personal choice that falls under patient's autonomy .. most people indeed are offered a list of pros & cons and make an educated decision based on that information. Someone with papillary thyroid cancer with a 95% survival rate with excision and radiation might not make the same decision as someone with a glioblastoma multiforme stage 4. Nations ravaged by illegal wars & occupation fall within the first category, their survival and well being means excising and ridding of cancerous tissue!
Everybody has something wrong with them, a doctor doesn't take away your autonomy nor should a nation take away the authority of another sovereign nation. Although let's face it we all know why they're there and it isn't out of benevolence!

Did you read what you wrote. You may have missed it. "SOME do it.."
3:113
I have not spoken of all or none that was your personal deduction. I am writing specifically of invading forces not the average beer loving yokel although they maybe guilty of a different set of crimes!

what this group of individual soldiers did is BEYOND reprehensible! They are vile evil creatures, HOWEVER, you are forgetting that they are individuals, NOT the whole.

Actually ALL foreign soldiers invading are fair game. If they had better intentions then why the hell are they there? to pass out peanut brittle? Their intention is to invade and kill.. These aren't ordinary 'people' so I'd request that you kindly quit using the Quran to serve your purpose, you often misuse it!

What if the forces are not Western? You made a blanket statement here. It implies that only western forces commit ravages and war crimes and that only western nations deserve contempt and protest. As I said earlier, "War itself should be our enemy, not people of religion or politics.". (I meant or religion...that was a typo). What causes war? Hatred based on misinformation, misunderstanding and miscommunication. By defeating those things, misinformation, misunderstanding and miscommunication, we break that cycle of hate/war-hate more/war more.
I have already defined why people go to war above.. If the invading army is going there for reasons other than mentioned then they'd fall into the war criminals category!

So is this statement false, "
Both sides fight. Both sides die. Both sides cry. Both sides have innocent victims."?
This statement is of no relevance to me. Given that there is no draft in the U.S specifically, anyone who is there, is there of their own volition and deserve all that is coming their way! If they don't want to lose their head it is best they stay home and spew their hatred on one of the many other outlets!

Don't add insult to injury by down playing the faults of these criminals. I hate that I am discussing how to make you feel better about this rather than concentrating on the plight of the afghans or Iraqis or Palis or or or.. I find that most detestable of all.. the issue is no longer about the suffering families or those war torn and ravaged rather how we can shelter your psychology or handle with kid gloves these criminals. This is in fact nothing more than a guy who got caught. If the U.S felt they could get away with it by keeping it out of the news he'd have not been tried at all. Similar to the Abu Gharib photos that Obama decided not to release. What we see is heinous and what is hidden is unfathomable.
best

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!