/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question about music

Masuma
11-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Asalamu alikum wr wb!
Brothers and sisters please help! Can one hear those songs which are modest, not having vulgar lyrics, songs with purpose bringing out a social or religious issue in light or just highlighting something specific which isn't haram? Is it permissible? I know nasheeds are better substitue from islamic point of view but many are not as much of a good quality (from the listening point of view) as the songs are.

There is music in songs but how do the tunes and melody harm us? sound is basically changes in air pressure percieved as "sound" by ear, or is it something more than that? I mean from the scientific point of view if any bro or sistah can help in this regard too? ^_^

And back to the first question, can one then hear songs with purpose and good lyrics? If like your prayers aren't getting missed and you do zikr too :/ and are religious as well. So any replies people?

Jazakumullahu khairan!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sister herb
11-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Salam alaykum

to me music is halal but here is different ideas about it.

Some tell all music is wrong, some just drums is ok, some only drums made by animal skin is ok, some just human voice is ok, some all accept some word,s too some doesn´t.

All of them have scholars for they opinion...

;D

Masuma
11-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Jazakumullahu khairan sister harb! :statisfie sistah i know it gets more and more "technical" when you start talking about which kinda instruments allowed or not and what genre of music etc. It also gets very complicated for me when i read posts allowing certain type of instruments to be used at certain times (i've read Al Gazali's book on this issue too. on of the best) but i need help as much as i can get!

So? :exhausted

Masuma
11-11-2011, 04:41 PM
yeah one thing i do agree with. one should try avoiding listening to music more often because it settles in mind and the lyrics and melody keeps reverberating and ecohing in the mind. sometimes people even start singing those lyrics unintentionally. So thats there but what about the real question?

I saw many threads related to music when i was haunting the forum as an invisible spirit ;D few months back but now the threads are burried somewhere in the flood of them and m really lazy as to go searching for them :embarrass . So anybody who just wanna leave the link to those threads is most welcome too.

I brought up this topic because i was thinking that can one hear music when they are feeling low? kinda cheers you up, know what i mean? :hmm:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
islamica
11-11-2011, 05:22 PM
wa'alaikuma s'salaam,

There are those who say it's allowed and some of them go fatwa hunting to support their desires. But Major and majority scholars agree on music being haram and a tool of the shaytan.

Shaytan says:

"Surely I will sit in wait against them on Your Straight Path. Then I will come to them from before them and behind them, from their right and from their left, and You will not find most of them as being grateful ones (i.e., they will not be dutiful to You)." [Soorah al-A'raaf 7:16-17]

In an hadith, shaytan also says "I will use musical instruments as my tools to stir the hearts and lead the sons of Adam astray."

Allah says:

"But there are, among men, those who purchase idle tales, without knowledge (or meaning), to mislead (men) from the Path of Allaah and throw ridicule (on the Path): for such there will be a humiliating Penalty. When Our Signs are rehearsed to such a one, he turns away in arrogance, as if he heard them not, as if there were deafness in both his ears: announce to him a grievous Penalty." ( Luqmaan: 6-7).

Ibn Mas`ood said: "I swear by Allaah that these "idle tales" are nothing but songs." He repeated it thrice. Ibn `Umar and Ibn `Abbaas, may Allaah be pleased with them, said the very same thing. These Companions were living when the Qur'aan was revealed and hence they are among the most versed in interpreting the words of Allaah. They interpreted these "idle tales" as songs.

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Among my ummah there will certainly be people who permit zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments…” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari ta’leeqan, no. 5590; narrated as mawsool by al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi. See al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 91).

This hadeeth indicates in two ways that musical instruments and enjoyment of listening to music are haraam. The first is the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “[they] permit” which clearly indicates that the things mentioned, including musical instruments, are haraam according to sharee’ah, but those people will permit them. The second is the fact that musical instruments are mentioned alongside things which are definitely known to be haraam, i.e., zinaa and alcohol: if they (musical instruments) were not haraam, why would they be mentioned alongside these things? (adapted from al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 1/140-141)

Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “Song makes hypocrisy grow in the heart as water does herbage” (Sunan al-Bayhaqi).

An appropriate exception

The exception to the above is the daff – without any rings (i.e., a hand-drum which looks like a tambourine, but without any rattles) – when used by women on Eids and at weddings. This is indicated by saheeh reports. Shaykh al-Islam (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: But the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) made allowances for certain types of musical instruments at weddings and the like, and he made allowances for women to play the daff at weddings and on other joyful occasions. But the men at his time did not play the daff or clap with their hands. It was narrated in al-Saheeh that he said: “Clapping is for women and tasbeeh (saying Subhaan Allaah) is for men.” And he cursed women who imitate men and men who imitate women. Because singing and playing the daff are things that women do, the Salaf used to call any man who did that a mukhannath (effeminate man), and they used to call male singers effeminate – and how many of them there are nowadays! It is well known that the Salaf said this.

Ruling on Music, Singing, Dancing - http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/5000

When is it permissible to beat the daff? - http://islamqa.com/en/ref/20406

The ruling on Islamic nasheeds - http://islamqa.com/en/ref/11563

Don't Listen To Sami Yusuf - http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=QcY7AXW4YJs

Innocent Soul
11-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Assalamualikum

I apologize for being late :phew. You needed to bump the thread so many times to get attention :skeleton:.

format_quote Originally Posted by sis chu chu
I brought up this topic because i was thinking that can one hear music when they are feeling low? kinda cheers you up, know what i mean?
Try listening to Quran recitation or recite it yourself or read the translation of random surahs. There are many Islamic options for you you just need to follow them. Start practicing and feel the pleasure and happiness.

"Don't depend too much on anyone in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness."
- Ibn Taymiyyah

People get addicted to music because they keep listening to it. Imagine if we keep listening to the Quran?

Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari: that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful.

And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection." (Sahih Bukhari: Book #69, Hadith #494)

“Falling into sin is like falling in water, the faster you get out the less likely you are going to drown.”

Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "Allah said, "I have prepared for My Pious slaves things which have never been seen by an eye, or heard by an ear, or imagined by a human being." If you wish, you can recite this Verse from the Holy quran:--"No soul knows what is kept hidden for them, of joy as a reward for what they used to do." (32.17) (Sahih Bukhari: Book #54, Hadith #467)

The most evil and wrongly of deeds are often the most tempting. Beware of what may bring you pleasure now can bring you sorrow later.

Narrated Abu Musa: The Prophet said, 'The example of a believer who recites the Qur'an is that of a citron (a citrus fruit) which is good in taste and good in smell. And the believer who does not recite the quran is like a date which has a good taste but no smell. And the example of an impious person who recites the Qur'an is that of Ar-Rihana (an aromatic plant) which smells good but is bitter in taste. And the example of an impious person who does not recite the quran is that of a colocynth which is bitter in taste and has no smell." (Sahih Bukhari: Book #93, Hadith #649)

And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e.music, singing, etc.) to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allah, the Verses of the Quran) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell-fire). (Surah Luqman 31:6)

"Truly in the heart there is a void that can not be removed except with the company of Allah. And in it there is a sadness that can not be removed except with the happiness of knowing Allah and being true to Him.

And in it there is an emptiness that can not be filled except with love for Him and by turning to Him and always remembering Him. And if a person were given all of the world and what is in it, it would not fill this emptiness."
— Ibn al-Qayyim

If you want to know more read these threads.
http://www.islamicboard.com/worship-...an-sunnah.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-s...928-music.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...-download.html

sister herb
11-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Salam alaykum

where in Quran is saying that music is haram?

Remember haram is very strong term.

islamica
11-11-2011, 06:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
Salam alaykum

where in Quran is saying that music is haram?

Remember haram is very strong term.

wa'alaikum as'salaam,

"But there are, among men, those who purchase idle tales, without knowledge (or meaning), to mislead (men) from the Path of Allaah and throw ridicule (on the Path): for such there will be a humiliating Penalty. When Our Signs are rehearsed to such a one, he turns away in arrogance, as if he heard them not, as if there were deafness in both his ears: announce to him a grievous Penalty." ( Luqmaan: 6-7).

Ibn Mas`ood said: "I swear by Allaah that these "idle tales" are nothing but songs." He repeated it thrice. Ibn `Umar and Ibn `Abbaas, may Allaah be pleased with them, said the very same thing. These are Companions of the Prophets (s) and their fathers were the Companions of Prohet (s) not to mention Caliph of Islam as well. They were living when the Qur'aan was revealed and hence they are among the most versed in interpreting the words of Allaah. They interpreted these "idle tales" as songs.

Btw, One shouldn't say "I consider it, I believe, or to me it is halal" because then one is passing a fatwa on it and making what may be haram into halal, thus making a grave mistake for which a serious punishment is promised by Allah (for making halal into haram and haram int halal). Rather one should say "I'm not convinced it's haram yet, etc"

Some want to listen to the Quran only, neglecting the Sunnah and hadith. We must remember that they too are a revelation from Allah and not something the Prophet (s) made up. There are ton of verses in the quran, like the one below, commanding us to obey the Messenger.

He who obeys the Messenger has indeed obeyed Allaah [al-Nisa’ 4:80]

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Among my ummah there will certainly be people who permit zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments…” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari ta’leeqan, no. 5590; narrated as mawsool by al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi. See al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 91).

sister herb
11-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Songs but music in Quran?

Also using silk is haram by Islam?

It is fabric?

islamica
11-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Do you not believe in the Hadith?

He who obeys the Messenger has indeed obeyed Allaah [al-Nisa’ 4:80]

anyways,

Allaah says in Soorat Luqmaan (interpretation of the meaning): “And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah…” [Luqmaan 31:6]

The scholar of the ummah, Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: this means singing. Mujaahid (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this means playing the drum (tabl). (Tafseer al-Tabari, 21/40).

Al-Hasan al-Basri (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this aayah was revealed concerning singing and musical instruments (lit. woodwind instruments). (Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/451).

Al-Sa’di (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this includes all manner of haraam speech, all idle talk and falsehood, and all nonsense that encourages kufr and disobedience; the words of those who say things to refute the truth and argue in support of falsehood to defeat the truth; and backbiting, slander, lies, insults and curses; the singing and musical instruments of the Shaytaan; and musical instruments which are of no spiritual or worldly benefit. (Tafseer al-Sa’di, 6/150)

Perhaps you should visit the links given inshallah, they go more in depth.

islamica
11-11-2011, 06:50 PM

It is fabric?

Silk for men is haram, as is wearing gold. It's a feminine cloth. There are many things in the world that are only meant for one gender and not the other. By their nature their illicit certain kind of traits and characteristics.

MartyrX
11-11-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm a firm believer in if it brings a positive message then it's fine. I'm not a scholar by any means, and by reading the Qu'ran I haven't come across any verses that say it's wrong. With the exception of "idle talk", nut really idle talk can be anything. You're chatting with someone that is idle talk.

islamica
11-11-2011, 10:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JeffX
I'm a firm believer in if it brings a positive message then it's fine. I'm not a scholar by any means, and by reading the Qu'ran I haven't come across any verses that say it's wrong. With the exception of "idle talk", nut really idle talk can be anything. You're chatting with someone that is idle talk.
Brother,

that is why we read the Quran with tafsir (commentary explanation) and listen to the scholars to understand the deep meaning behind these verses. Some people easily dismiss the scholars, but they are the guardians of this knowledge and the teachers of this deen. They spend their live time studying this and learning all this. It takes years to memorize the Quran with accompany tafsirs from different narrators of the past and memorize volumes of volumes books of hadith. when these scholars explain something about Islam or the Quran, it is not mere "opinions" like rest of us, it is backed by the years of education and understanding of the Quran and 1000s of hadith related to the topic.

One word from the Quran alone is enough to live a whole life on and write books on. If the shabahs, the companions of the Prophet (s), the ones who were there when Quran was being revealed, who say archAngel Gabriel in Human form to come teach Islam, the ones who saw Prophet (s) lived the Quran taught the Quran to them say what one word in the Quran means and refers to. Then is that not sufficient enough for us? How can we say "i never come across something like that" when we merely are reading the english words, empty of the tafsirs and years of education behind it.

Innocent Soul
11-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari: that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful.

And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection." (Sahih Bukhari: Book #69, Hadith #494)

Narrated Al-Bara' bin 'Azib: Allah's Apostle ordered us to do seven things and forbade us to do other seven. He ordered us: to follow the funeral procession. to visit the sick, to accept invitations, to help the oppressed, to fulfill the oaths, to return the greeting and to reply to the sneezer: (saying, "May Allah be merciful on you," provided the sneezer says, "All the praises are for Allah,"). He forbade us to use silver utensils and dishes and to wear golden rings, silk (clothes), Dibaj (pure silk cloth), Qissi and Istabraq (two kinds of silk cloths). (Sahih Bukhari: Book #23, Hadith #331)

Narrated Anas bin Malik: A silken cloak was presented to the Prophet and he used to forbid the usage of silk (by men). When the people were fascinated by the cloak. he said, "By Allah in Whose Hands the life of Muhammad is, the handkerchiefs of Sad bin Mu'adh in Paradise are better than this." (Book #54, Hadith #471)

Sister please read the ahadith and verses posted by sis Islamica and the threads that I have recommended.

Masuma
11-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Asalamu alikum wr wb! Thank you so much my brothers and sisters for replying! ^_^
one little bit thingy. Quran says that idle talk is haram. That is why i mentioned songs which are with purpose! Songs that bring out a social issue into the light. Songs talking about pollution, ghetto kids, gaza, double standards, injustice, freedom, struggle of particular people or group, keeping world clean and green, wars being a curse. They aren't idle talk at all but then that depends on its definition. I'm not in support of listening to music neither am i against it. i'm searching. (:

I'm a firm believer in if it brings a positive message then it's fine.
I too like this thing but i also believe that the positive message should be brought in the right way. But generally my brother, i also usually accept things which bring positivity.

idle talk can be anything. You're chatting with someone that is idle talk.
Good point raised bro! That is what i want to know. What do people generally consider to be an ide talk?

So brothers and sisters! Songs with good message and no vulgarity can be qualified as idle talk? :hmm:

Masuma
11-12-2011, 05:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Innocent Soul
Assalamualikum
I apologize for being late :phew. You needed to bump the thread so many times to get attention :skeleton:.
Walikum asalam wr wb!
don't you say that. i think i caught you reading the thread yesterday.:p you just replied late... lol ;D

Abz2000
11-12-2011, 06:30 PM
check this thread out sis:

http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...lam-music.html

sister herb
11-12-2011, 07:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamica
Do you not believe in the Hadith?
No. I believe Quran and only Quran.

Where in Quran is say that music is haram?

Huzzy_786
11-12-2011, 07:10 PM
"And there are among men those who purchase idle talk in order to mislead others from Allah's path without knowledge, and who throw ridicule upon it. For such there will be a humiliating punishment" Soorah Luqmaan

Music is idle talk? So you should rather talk about Islam then listen to things which would be useless for your life and the hear after.

Abz2000
11-12-2011, 09:15 PM
the Quran doesn't show you how to pray sister.

and "idle talk", the prophet often listened to non-Islamic poetry just for entertainment purpose while he was riding.

Insaanah
11-12-2011, 11:00 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by sis chu chu
That is why i mentioned songs which are with purpose! Songs that bring out a social issue into the light. Songs talking about pollution, ghetto kids, gaza, double standards, injustice, freedom, struggle of particular people or group, keeping world clean and green, wars being a curse.
Sister, you've seen the hadith in a few posts now, where the prophet :saws: mentioned musical instruments along with zinaa and alcohol. Don't go near such a thing. We're instructed to avoid even the doubtful, so don't go for something that the prophet :saws: mentioned along with these other sins, no matter how innocent, nice, beneficial or purposeful you may think it is. I'm pretty sure there are musicless nasheeds on the topics you mentioned.

No. I believe Quran and only Quran.
The Qur'an is the word of Allah - it contains the commands of Allah, and Allah tells us to obey the Prophet :saws:. Yet most of the commands of the Prophet :saws: which we must obey, as inspired to him by Allah, are in the hadeeth.

If you accept the Prophet :saws: as an explainer of the Qur'an and it's verses, if you accept him as a role-model, if you accept him as an object of obedience, and if you accept that matters should be referred back to not only Allah, but also to his prophet :saws: (as in the verse below) then you have no choice but to follow his sunnah which is recorded in the hadeeth. So it is incumbent on you to follow the hadeeth, and to obey the prophet's commands therein, and therefore to obey Allah.

Sahih International
O you who have believed, obey Allah and obey the Messenger and those in authority among you. And if you disagree over anything, refer it to Allah and the Messenger, if you should believe in Allah and the Last Day. That is the best [way] and best in result. (4:59)

The companions of the Prophet :saws: and later scholars have understood "refer it to Allah", to mean, "refer it to the book of Allah." And referring the matter to the Messenger of Allah, means to refer it directly to him in his lifetime, and to his sunnah (as recorded in the hadeeth) after his death. Note that the two, the book of Allah, and the sunnah of His Messenger :saws:, are placed together here, and the verse does not say "refer it to Allah and then to the Messenger", nor does it say, "refer it to Allah, and if you do not find the answer there, then refer it to the Messenger". The two (Qur'an and sunnah) come together, hand in hand.

Interestingly, there is no verse in the Quran where Allah commands obedience to Himself without also ordering obedience to the Prophet :saws:. But there are verses where Allah tells us to obey the Prophet :saws:, without mentioning obedience to Himself, and this is because obedience to the Prophet :saws: automatically means obedience to Allah, as the Prophet :saws: did not give commands of his own volition:

Sahih International

And establish prayer and give zakah and obey the Messenger - that you may receive mercy. (24:56)

And there are verses warning of the punishment for those that oppose the messenger:

Sahih International
And whoever opposes the Messenger after guidance has become clear to him and follows other than the way of the believers - We will give him what he has taken and drive him into Hell, and evil it is as a destination. (4:115)

And see this verse:

Sahih International

He who obeys the Messenger has obeyed Allah ; but those who turn away - We have not sent you over them as a guardian. (4:80)

In this verse, Allah states clearly that obedience to the Messenger :saws: is nothing less than obedience to Allah. It proves that any command from the Prophet :saws: (whether recorded in the Qur'an or in the hadeeth) actually originated with Allah. So what about those who disregard the hadeeth (records of sayings, commands, approvals and actions of the prophet :saws: ) and thus disobey him on those matters? By inference, they are disobeying Allah, no matter how much they may think they are obeying Allah, and they are not following Allah's commands in the Qur'an.

Indeed, in the two saheehain (Bukhari and Muslim) the following hadeeth of the prophet :saws: is recorded: "Whoever obeys me, obeys Allah. Whoever disobeys me, disobeys Allah."

Also, some verses tell us that obedience to the Prophet :saws: does not mean just with what he came with of the Qur'an, and that obedience to him has sources external to the Qur'an, that must be followed as well:

Sahih International
And when it is said to them, "Come to what Allah has revealed and to the Messenger," you see the hypocrites turning away from you in aversion. (4:61)

Come to what Allah has revealed, and to the Messenger. In other words, following only the Qur'an is not enough. Following only the prophets commands mentioned in the Qur'an is not enough. You must obey his commands that are not in the Qur'an too (which is the majority of them), those that are recorded in the hadeeth.

The passage continues:

And We did not send any messenger except to be obeyed by permission of Allah . And if, when they wronged themselves, they had come to you, [O Muhammad], and asked forgiveness of Allah and the Messenger had asked forgiveness for them, they would have found Allah Accepting of repentance and Merciful.

But no, by your Lord, they will not believe, until they make you [O Muhammad] judge in all disputes between them, and find in their souls no resistance against your decisions, but accept them with full submission. (4:64-65)

Indeed, verse 65 above tells us that accepting the Prophet's rulings and decisions is part of our very faith, part of our imaan. It is noticeable that Allah begins the verse by swearing by the Lord of the Prophet, and this is much more greater and serious than any of the other types of swearing that Allah has used in the Qur'an, such as the stars, the sky, the dawn, the morning light etc. And it is after this great swearing that Allah informs the believers that it is necessary for them to completely accept the authority of the Prophet :saws:. Without this, we do not believe, no matter how much we try to convince ourselves that we do.

Some more food for thought for you:

...And We did not make the qiblah which you used to face except that We might make evident who would follow the Messenger from who would turn back on his heels. And indeed, it is difficult except for those whom Allah has guided. (2:143, part)
We have certainly seen the turning of your face, [O Muhammad], toward the heaven, and We will surely turn you to a qiblah with which you will be pleased. So turn your face toward al-Masjid al-Haram. And wherever you [believers] are, turn your faces toward it [in prayer]. Indeed, those who have been given the Scripture well know that it is the truth from their Lord. And Allah is not unaware of what they do.(2:144)

These verses are in reference to the Muslims facing Jerusalem before the direction of the prayer was changed to Makkah. Allah explicitly states that it was He that appointed that original direction of prayer. However this inspiration and command to the Prophet :saws: to face Jerusalem never formed part of the Qur'an. Hence this shows that the Prophet :saws: received another type of revelation from Allah, that was binding on him and his followers.

Where in Quran is say that music is haram?
Out of interest, where in the Qur'an does it tell you how many rakaat to pray for each prayer, what to say in the sitting position etc? Perhaps it is in the other important source of legisation mentioned above...

I hope you will ponder over this, and whether you really want to reject the sayings, commands and actions of our beloved prophet :saws:. Please do ask any questions.

Part of post extracted and adapted from: The authority and importance of the sunnah, by Jamal Zarabozo.

Tyrion
11-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Ask an expert and then make up your own mind when given the information/evidences.. Don't ask here, or anywhere online for that matter. This question gets asked a few times every year, and emotions always flare up.

Salahudeen
11-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Abdullah ibn Abbas and Abdullah ibn Masood say idle talk refers to music, then it's good enough for me. :hmm:

Masuma
11-13-2011, 04:12 PM
thanks again my dear brothers and sisters for your time!!! ^_^ May Allah reward you all!

I know that the scholars say that music is also idle talk. And they are right. The music with vulgar lyrics and immodest scenes is definitely haram! no doubt in that. but i was just wondering whether the songs about Palestine, Palestine forever, Gaza, Earth's safety etc etc is also idle talk?

format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
Ask an expert and then make up your own mind when given the information/evidences.. Don't ask here, or anywhere online for that matter. This question gets asked a few times every year, and emotions always flare up.
Point taken my respected brother! but i wanna ask everywhere i go. its just for the knowledge i do that. otherwise i've always and will always form my opinion after much research, till i'm satisfied. my bros and sistah here too are very knowledgeable. i agree with your last sentence. may Allah bless you brother!

~Raindrop~
11-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Off-topic posts deleted.

JazakAllahu Khairan for the very detailed answers. The OP's question has been answered quite satisfactorily. Let's move on.

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!