/* */

PDA

View Full Version : four different schools

serena77
11-14-2011, 12:10 AM
as-salam alaykum
i didnt know exactly where to put this .. and i hope this is okay. I need some help please w/ the four schools of islamic thought. the four main ones i guess i should say. I know there are four.... I kinda sorta undertand the main separation .. but if i'm buying a book say at amazon how do i know which school I'm getting. I'm sure there's no website that i can go to, to plug in the book and see what it says about it. Is there any way to tell, is it likely to be A unless it specifically says B, C, or D?

If this has been asked and answered, my most humble apologies
serena

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salahudeen
11-16-2011, 12:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by serena77
as-salam alaykum
i didnt know exactly where to put this .. and i hope this is okay. I need some help please w/ the four schools of islamic thought. the four main ones i guess i should say. I know there are four.... I kinda sorta undertand the main separation .. but if i'm buying a book say at amazon how do i know which school I'm getting. I'm sure there's no website that i can go to, to plug in the book and see what it says about it. Is there any way to tell, is it likely to be A unless it specifically says B, C, or D?

serena
Generally you can find out by researching the author and finding out what school of jurisprudence he followed, his book is most likely going to be based upon that school.

Tawangar
01-12-2012, 07:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by serena77
as-salam alaykum

serena
:wa:
May I correct you in one thing sister? These are not schools of Islamic "thought". Rather they are madhaahib or madhhabs(plural of madhhab) which means a school of Law or jurisprudence and they differ in the furu'(peripheral matters of law).
Before you buy a book which is specifically on Jurisprudence you can read up the review where it is usually mentioned what the book is about and according to which school. Secondly you can read up about the author and which school of law he belongs to. Thirdly you can ask a scholar about the book. Books that are on general topics which are non-jurisprudential do not require such a thorough vetting. It is usually enough to check out whether the author is a deviant or an extremist and then decide. Being in touch with local scholars can be a great help in such matters.
Wa salam.

serena77
01-29-2012, 11:29 PM
jakazallah khair for the correction. it is much appreciated.
Serena

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!