/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Saudi Syndrome: Are you Muslim?

Tawangar
11-15-2011, 05:16 AM
:sl:

The Saudi Syndrome and the "Are you Muslim?" question:

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
11-15-2011, 11:30 AM

Two young Arab guys visited a small travel agent that ran by the owner and two employees. Those Arab guy didn't have beard, wore t-shirts and jeans.

They told the travel agent owner that they need two tickets for international flight. And one of them wrote their names on a paper, as a requirement to order airplane tickets.

As small company, this travel agent didn't use internet. So, the owner phoned the airlines representative.
"I need two seats to ..... "
"Available. Including meals. Ask your customers, they want beverage with alcohol or without alcohol"
The travel agent owner knew, Muslims are not allowed to drink alcohol. Then he asked those Arab guys
"Are you Muslim ?"
One of them showed the paper where they wrote their names
"My name is Muhammad, and I am from Saudi Arabia"
The travel agent owner so ashamed. Luckily, those Arab guys did not angry.

This true story was happened in the middle of 90s, in Bandung city. The travel agent owner in this story is Muslim too, and now you know him as Ardianto.

Tawangar
11-16-2011, 05:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto

Two young Arab guys visited a small travel agent that ran by the owner and two employees. Those Arab guy didn't have beard, wore t-shirts and jeans.

They told the travel agent owner that they need two tickets for international flight. And one of them wrote their names on a paper, as a requirement to order airplane tickets.

As small company, this travel agent didn't use internet. So, the owner phoned the airlines representative.
"I need two seats to ..... "
"Available. Including meals. Ask your customers, they want beverage with alcohol or without alcohol"
The travel agent owner knew, Muslims are not allowed to drink alcohol. Then he asked those Arab guys
"Are you Muslim ?"
One of them showed the paper where they wrote their names
"My name is Muhammad, and I am from Saudi Arabia"
The travel agent owner so ashamed. Luckily, those Arab guys did not angry.

This true story was happened in the middle of 90s, in Bandung city. The travel agent owner in this story is Muslim too, and now you know him as Ardianto.
Beautiful story.

Tawangar
12-08-2011, 05:08 AM
Racism in Saudi Arabia

Again thanx to Abu Sinan for inspiring me to write this post about racism. the comment was made in this post and made me think about a problem that we (Saudis , Arabs and Muslims) usually accuse other of but never admit of having.

Let me start with my own country . Yes , we have a huge percent of racist here and their target differ from non-Arab to Arab to Saudi themselves. i know for a fact that it's not easy to be a non-Saudi here, people will look down on you thinking that you are mainly here to take our money from those Saudis who deserve it. If you are a non-Arab and coming from a third world country then you are filthy and stupid, we treat them the worst. If you are a non-Arab but coming from the west, American or European for example, then you are bad but at least smart, you have no morals cuz you are not a Muslim. If you happen to be an Arab, then you are a thief and should be treated badly and that you are always guilty of thinking badly of us. Muslims are not better cuz they have the wrong kind of Islam and we are the best, they all should follow our own interpretation of Islam or they will be doomed.

It's not easier between Saudis themselves. There are the Shia who are a non-Saudi and should be sent to Iran. There are the different parts of the kingdom where everyone claims theirs is the best and the rest are either not civilized or not religious enough.
The normal word for a black is "slave" or "Zebra" . And if a white woman is married to a black then he should be thankful his whole life for that, he shouldn't be mean to her not cuz it's wrong but cuz he wouldn't be dreaming of him marring the white lady.

Most of Saudi Arabia are tribes, so if you don't belong to one, you are called a non-Saudi. the worst case is when your father is a tribal and when your mother is not -such is the case in our house-so what do you do? whom should you belong to, cuz you have to curse the other side.

Racism is spreading all over the Arab world especially among non-Arab from the third world countries and blacks. Where are the Arabs from the Darfur problem? . Lots of Arabs don't like Saudis and even online i was faced by such rejection for being a Saudi without even waiting for me to explain myself.
I don't know is it because we don't like the Arabs so they don't like us or it is they don't like us so we don't like them back. who started this dilemma??

It's not like the whole Arab and Saudis are racist and there are not an exact number of that. But we keep blaming others calling them racist and close our eyes of what is happening in our homes. pointing a finger towards them and can not see their own fingers pointing at us.

It's a huge problem but how can one change that when inside of you there are a small racist?? should the law get involved in such things and hope that one day in the long future things will change ??
http://www.wafagal.com/2010/01/racis...di-arabia.html

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tawangar
12-12-2011, 05:31 AM
RIYADH - Saudi Labor Minister Ghazi al-Gosaibi has warned against growing racism among Saudis towards the millions of foreign workers in the kingdom, mainly domestics, media reports said on Monday.Gosaibi told senior labor ministry officials on Sunday that the country should treat foreign workers better, protect their rights and not succumb to racism, local newspapers reported."Regrettably, we have become overwhelmed by arrogance and even racism, and we have begun to imagine that we are better than those who have come to share in shouldering the burden of development," he said."We should not be arrogant or racist towards those who came to serve us in our homes after we used to do everything ourselves," Gosaibi said of reported maltreatment of domestic workers, who reportedly number around 1.5 million.Foreign workers have a huge presence throughout the kingdom, estimated at more than eight million altogether in a country with a native population of over 17 million.Mainly Indians, Pakistanis, Filipinos, Indonesians and Bangladeshis, foreigners work in everything from construction and as household domestics to nursing, as shop attendants, programmers and business managers.Ghosaibi told officials their job is to protect such workers' rights, prevent mistreatment of foreigners and protect Saudi Arabia's reputation."When a foreigner came here to work in the past, we treated him with deference because he was either a doctor we asked to treat us, a teacher from whom we sought knowledge or an accountant we asked to watch over our business."But today this picture has changed. We look at them like they have come to rob us or to corrupt our society and spread criminality, even though it is us who have brought them here," he said.The minister's comments came amid controversy over a privately financed television and newspaper advertising campaign promoting respect for foreign maids, drivers and other low-wage workers.The "Mercy" campaign confronts Saudis with images of ugly treatment of their hired help -- not paying them regularly, not giving them time off and even treating them like animals.Some Saudis have complained that the public service ad campaign, by Jeddah-based advertising company FullStop, gives the country a bad image.US-based Human Rights Watch (HRW) said in a July report that many Saudis believed they "owned" their foreign domestic workers and treated them like slaves.
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/pinoy-mig...oreign-workers

CosmicPathos
12-12-2011, 06:07 AM
These little arrogant Saudis are so racist towards Pakistanis, as we are sheep. These desert nomads are proud of their lineages while they keep forgetting if it comes to that then Pakistanis along with Hindus have intellectual history, culture, music, arts, philosophy that is as old as 4000 years. Somehow these bedouins keep on forgetting that they are the ones who should be thankful to us.

But it is time to move past these stupid boundaries of ancestries, and lineages and cultures and ethnicity. Why discuss these from a reference point where it is assumed that a Saudi has to call himself a Saudi or an Egyptian has to call himself an Egyptian. Would Allah enter us into heaven based on who contributed much more to his culture and his ethnicity?

ardianto
12-12-2011, 07:30 AM
I have written in another thread my experience when I meet a long beard Saudi man in masjid who attracted to the car which my family hired. He's a polite and friendly person. He came with his local driver. I noticed how he talked to his driver, and especially how his driver talked to him. I could make a conclusion, he is a good Muslim man who always respect to everyone.

I regard that moment as beautiful moment because I meet a Saudi man who is different than the image of Saudi people in general. There is a long list of "how Saudi people are" which all points in this list are ..... negative.

I understand if many non-Saudi Muslims are angry to Saudi people. But backbiting, call Saudi people with bad name, or make bad du'a, are not behavior of Muslims. It's better if we make du'a, wish Allah turn bad people in Saudi into good Muslims like a Saudi man who I meet in masjid. Ameen.

sabr*
12-12-2011, 07:34 AM
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

All cultures, tribalism, and ethnicity are subject to the identical biases
mentioned. That is why there are numerous Masjid which evolved
over ethnic disputes using Islam as the reason to establish Masjid
in the same vicinity. The promotion of one ethnic, cultural and
tribal background being better or just as good is equally horrendous.

Practicing Muslims should base our opinion through
the lenses of Islam and not personal feelings and biases.

This post was submitted with the best intentions and the best construction
should be used when reading it. STOP THE ETHNIC BASHING!

Either you are practicing or your not.

Ramadhan
12-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Well it's a good thing that Saudi govt finally starts to address the issue of racism (the least of the more serious issues)

Indonesian government is currently putting a moratorium/ban on sending domestic workers to saudi, after saudi government failed to provide necessary law and protection towards Indonesian female domestic workers.
There have been many cases where Indonesian domestic workers were physically, mentally and verbally abuses by their bosses, including rape, and in some cases resulting in deaths of the workers.

Tawangar
12-29-2011, 06:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan
Well it's a good thing that Saudi govt finally starts to address the issue of racism (the least of the more serious issues)

Indonesian government is currently putting a moratorium/ban on sending domestic workers to saudi, after saudi government failed to provide necessary law and protection towards Indonesian female domestic workers.
There have been many cases where Indonesian domestic workers were physically, mentally and verbally abuses by their bosses, including rape, and in some cases resulting in deaths of the workers.
Inna Lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon.

إحسان
01-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Its unfortunate my country is like this. A country which holds the two most sacred sites for Muslims. But of course there is no perfect country.

Banu_Hashim
01-03-2012, 11:08 PM

I did hear hear of a recent case, in the last year or two of an Indonesian lady working as a maid in KSA who got killed? The Indonesian government reacted very angrily and rightly so. Allahul Musta'aan.

Banu_Hashim
01-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Racism exists in all cultures, religions (although not doctrinally) and countries. It is unfortunate however, that Islam, which came to purge mankind of such a dangerous and corrupting ideology, is not practised properly by the Muslims themselves. Long gone are the days of the khilaafa were Muslims could travel as they please, marry whom they please and remain a citizen of Daarul Islaam with full rights :(

GuestFellow
01-03-2012, 11:15 PM
All countries have problems. Muslims tend to be more critical of Saudi Arabia because that is where the holy sites are located. It is unfair to generalise all Saudis or any other groups.

Perseveranze
01-04-2012, 12:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Inquilaab
Racism exists in all cultures, religions (although not doctrinally) and countries. It is unfortunate however, that Islam, which came to purge mankind of such a dangerous and corrupting ideology, is not practised properly by the Muslims themselves. Long gone are the days of the khilaafa were Muslims could travel as they please, marry whom they please and remain a citizen of Daarul Islaam with full rights :(
Asalaamu alaikum,

Imo this is the result of Arab nationalism, which stemmed during the colonial period. May Allah guide the Ummah.

Banu_Hashim
01-04-2012, 12:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
Asalaamu alaikum,

Imo this is the result of Arab nationalism, which stemmed during the colonial period. May Allah guide the Ummah.
And with the fall of the Ottoman Empire, the British were only too happy to promote such Arab nationalism:raging:

Tawangar
01-14-2012, 07:37 AM
And with the fall of the Ottoman Empire, the British were only too happy to promote such Arab nationalism:raging:
Arab nationalism does not seem to be dying out even now though. May Allah help us. :wa:

Who Am I?
01-14-2012, 07:57 AM

The beauty of Islam is its simplicity, and its diversity. I went back to the masjid for the first time in a while for Ishaa prayer, and I was the only white guy there. But you know what? Nobody cared. Nobody judged me, nobody accused me of being an FBI agent, nothing like that.

I went, I prayed, and I left. Simple, and effective. As it should be. I think people get too caught up in stupid stuff like the rules of religion and skin color. That's not what's important. There are three simple rules to live by. Love God, love your fellow man, and love yourself. If you do those things, you'll be OK.

GuestFellow
01-14-2012, 04:56 PM
I personally find Pakistani nationalism worse. Ugh I rather vomit and choke on burnt toast.

Tawangar
01-17-2012, 05:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
I personally find Pakistani nationalism worse. Ugh I rather vomit and choke on burnt toast.

All kinds of nationalism are deplorable, Pakistani, Arab or African.

Amat Allah
01-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Not all Saudi people alike, good and bad are everywhere O brothers...May Allah guide us all Ameeeeen

~ Sabr ~
01-17-2012, 11:59 AM
I don't get the purpose of this thread. ^o)

Hamza Asadullah
01-17-2012, 12:07 PM

It is the same across the UAE particularly in Dubai where Philipinos, Indonesian, Pakistan, Bangladeshi and Indian workers in particular are treated worse than animals and are not even given their basic needs. The conditions they live in are atrocious. I really do feel for them. There seems to be a similar trend of this across the gulf states in particular. It is sad that immigrants in western countries are given so much more rights and in the rich gulf Arab states they are given little or no rights. However western white workers in particular are treated with honour. There is something seriously wrong with the mentality of such people. There is no where in need of a revolution than across the gulf Arab states, particularly in the most dictatorial country in the world - Daudi Arabia.

May Allah liberate our holy land and take it off the hands of the hypocritical despots and may Allah also give justice to those who are experiencing injustice. Ameen

Amat Allah
01-17-2012, 01:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah
There seems to be a similar trend of this across the gulf states in particular. It is sad that immigrants in western countries are given so much more rights and in the rich gulf Arab states they are given little or no rights. However western white workers in particular are treated with honour.
That is right, that is very true alas! and I really feel so sorry for them that my eyes now are full of tears and I was thinking about those poor people who leave their families and live as a stranger for years working so hard to feed their precious while some people have not even a drop of mercy or even pity in their hearts :,( (woe to them from Allah if not repenting) but there will be coming the Day of Judgement and everyone will take his/her rights fully in the court of The Most Just The Most Merciful , laa ilaha ilaa Allah...

May Allah guide us all Ameeen

GuestFellow
01-21-2012, 11:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tawangar

All kinds of nationalism are deplorable, Pakistani, Arab or African.

I find American nationalism annoying too. Especially when they wave the flag and scream, our troops are fighting for our freedums. I mean how stupid can some people can get? The stupidity that nationalism produces makes me wanna bash people's head together and tell them to wake up.

UmmuShaheed
01-22-2012, 01:09 AM
Mashallah, nice story

Tawangar
01-31-2012, 05:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Ahlaam
I don't get the purpose of this thread. ^o)
No? A believer is the mirror of another believer.
That is the purpose of the original post.
WS.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!