/* */

PDA

View Full Version : prayer help in dealing w/ prayer books

serena77
11-19-2011, 05:20 AM
Salaam to all
i have started doing salat and i'm still learning all the words though i've pretty much gotten the words where the different movements go, and so thats not a problem
when i can i use a book and whenever possible ( not often enough ) i use a YouTube video and the book i got which is called Muslim Daily Prayers. I had a few decent reviews and it was one of few choices i could find on amazon.

that said . The words don't always match ( on youtube prayer video's and in the book ) .... I am pretty sure it is a defect of the book, and i'm almost positive its not misreading/hearing something ... So is there a better book I should get - that hopefully is relatively in expensive? i was using the videos mainly for correcting my pronunciation but it isnt helping me if the words in the book are wrong and i just don't know how to know, but i don't want to learn the wrong thing and have to relearn something if i can help it.
Jak in advance
Serena

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
syed1
11-19-2011, 06:18 AM
Hello sister, I would recommend you go to your local mosque, find a practising muslim that you trust and request them for a book and for assistance. I am sure they would be more than happy to help you and will give you a free book Inshallah which is correct. Your intentions are good ! keep it up

serena77
11-19-2011, 05:00 PM
salaams syed,
yes I wish that were an option however no local mosques here so that makes that very very difficult i'm afraid. I would love to have a mosque here as that would at least alleviate several of my problems, however, no mosque and from what i can tell no other like minded people local to me either. :(
serena

.iman.
11-19-2011, 05:26 PM
asalaam alikoum sister

First off, barakAllahu fik for converting, you will find how beautiful this way of life is and may Allah make it easier for you each day. amine.

I am also a convert, and I remember when I first started praying I used a few videos on youtube. What I did was listen to videos and write down the phonetics. I learned two short surahs from the videos (Al Ikhlas and Al 'Asr) and I would play each video during the salah at home and I would hold the piece of paper and read the words along with the video. inshAllah you will learn Al Fatiha in a very short time since you will say it several times a day. After about a week, I would try and recite Al Fatiha from memory and each day it became easier until I no longer needed the paper, and then I could do it on my own without the video. It just takes a bit of patience.

Here is one video that shows in a cartoon how to do salaat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD_Sytz6Kbs
Here are the videos I used when doing salaat (there is one for fajr, dohr, asr, maghreb and isha). I would recommend watching how to make wudu (ablutions) and the introduction first. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaKb2zX1QBs

Where do you live sister? perhaps we could help find a mosque or some muslims in your community.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
serena77
11-20-2011, 05:44 PM
salaams iman
i haven't revertred yet but am preparing to and for me that means making my life more appropriate while i prepare to.
i'm in southwest virginia near the NC line so far i haen't found any others in the area.... I do appreciate the video links... a lot.
I'm too the point where the al faithia i have a pretty decent hold on .. but still hold on to the written copy because i don't want to make mistakes... however it appears to use different surahs than the videos i use... the short ones that are used in the prayer? and i think that may be where i was getting confused before because everything "else" appears the same. ... at least i think thats what is going on....

jak
Serena

Salahudeen
11-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Maybe a sister from this forum can listen and help you over skype or msn, surely there's loads of sisters on here who know how to read fatiha?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!