/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Wanting some elaboration/explanation on a topic

Pak-istan786
11-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Assalaamu alaikum,

Once I read a passage( not sure if it was a Hadith or narration) that said the Prophet( PBUH) used to perform Wudhu with one Mudd of water and Ghusl with 4 Mudds of water. A single 'Mudd' is approximately equal to a handful of water( or cupped hand of water). Now I was wondering how did the Prophet( PBUH) do that? I find Wudhu and Ghusl difficult with quite a lot more water than that and even people who don't suffer from waswasa use more water than that I'm assuming. I'm asking as I wanted elaboration on this, I came across it on a website which was about waswasa during Wudhu and Ghusl.

JazakAllah, wasalaam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamza Asadullah
11-21-2011, 03:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crossman3
Assalaamu alaikum,

Once I read a passage( not sure if it was a Hadith or narration) that said the Prophet( PBUH) used to perform Wudhu with one Mudd of water and Ghusl with 4 Mudds of water. A single 'Mudd' is approximately equal to a handful of water( or cupped hand of water). Now I was wondering how did the Prophet( PBUH) do that? I find Wudhu and Ghusl difficult with quite a lot more water than that and even people who don't suffer from waswasa use more water than that I'm assuming. I'm asking as I wanted elaboration on this, I came across it on a website which was about waswasa during Wudhu and Ghusl.

JazakAllah, wasalaam.
:sl:

We should do our utmost to ensure we are not excessively wasteful when it comes to using water for Wudu and Ghusl. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) was especially efficient in his use of water for ablution and Ghusl.

As long as we are not too wasteful in our use of water during ablution and ghusl then it is fine and there is nothing to worry about for there are many who do not have adequate water and whenever we are using water we should think of them and thank Allah and try not be wasteful.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Ramadhan
11-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Assalaamu alaikum,

JazakAllah, wasalaam.

Rasulullah saw lived in Makkah/Madinah in the 7th century. I would assume fresh water was harder to come by.
Rasulullah saw set example that even those who didn't much water can still perform wudoo and ghusl. Remember that Islam is for everyone, not just for those who live in big cities in developed world where fresh water is abundant. Of course I am using a lot more water than what is described in the sunnah, but alhamdulillaah that is because water in my place is easy to come by. But for example whenever I travel by flight, I also don't use much water when I take wudoo in plane's toilet because there's not much water to come out from those tap anyway.
But as br. Hamza explained, you can use moderately water that is available to you, as long as it is not too wasteful.

Insaanah
11-21-2011, 01:45 PM
:wa:

Ah yes, I remember the same question being asked before:

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...on-hadith.html

A single 'Mudd' is approximately equal to a handful of water( or cupped hand of water).
What is your source for this?

I was under the impression that a madd was approximately 750ml, and a saa' was about 3 litres.

There are some people that have a chain of transmission for this prophetic measurement:

A prophetic mudd (1/4 saa’) in modern volume measurements is .75L (or 750mL), which means that a saa’ is three litres.

[The chain of transmission for this prophetic measurement]

This mudd was measured up to Sh. Yahyaa al-Mudarris' mudd (may Allaah preserve him), which was measured up to the mudd of his shaykh al-'Allaamah Aboo Sa'eed Muhammad 'Abdullaah al-Laknawee (d.1400), which was measured up to his shaykh's mudd... and so on, all the way back to the mudd of Zayd ibn Thaabit (may Allaah be pleased with him) that was in use in al-Andelus and elsewhere all the way to (at least) the 4th century...

Al-'Allaamah al-Laknawee (may Allaah have Mercy on him) - a former teacher at the Haram in Makkah and at Daar al-Hadeeth, an Indian scholar grounded in Tawheed and firm against the people of desires - said about this mudd:

This is the mudd that the Prophet (may Allaah raise his rank and grant him peace) was speaking about when he prayed, "O Allaah! Put blessings in our saa' and our mudd!" This was collected by the two shaykhs (al-Bukhaaree and Muslim). Further, he (may Allaah raise his rank and grant him peace) used to make wudhoo' using this mudd, and he used to take a bath using a saa'.

Source: An-Najm al-Baadee, Shaykh Yahyaa's biography (p.63)
http://salaf-us-saalih.com/2009/09/1...-1-mudd-750ml/

Also, in an Al Kauthar Student Guild course, Fiqh ul Hadith of Tahaarah in Bulugh al Maram, taught by Sh Bilal Ismail, a madd is mentioned as being 700-750ml, with a saa' being 3 litres.

These quantities are perfectly adequate to do wudhu and ghusl, especially when you are short of water. We have plenty of water, so use more and find it hard to do with less.

If you ever go to Masjid al-Haram, and watch when the adhaan is called, some people who have been sitting in the masjid, will do their wudhu with water in a drinking bottle. Watch how people manage to do full wudhu with one bottle of water.

And Allah knows best in all matters.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ramadhan
11-21-2011, 02:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
If you ever go to Masjid al-Haram, and watch when the adhaan is called, some people who have been sitting in the masjid, will do their wudhu with water in a drinking bottle. Watch how people manage to do full wudhu with one bottle of water.
I did this one too. Right after finishing sa'i my wudoo broke and iqamah was called for asr, and so I did wudoo using my zamzam water in bottle near those zamzam water tanks in the middle lane between two paths of sa'i.
As long as you are careful, and take care to wet all necessary area using your hands, a bottle (750 ml) of water is sufficient to do wudoo.

Snowflake
11-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Assalaamu alaikum,

JazakAllah, wasalaam.

Also remember that istinja is not a part of wudhu. It's for removing impurity before making wudhu, hence why making wudhu with a small amount of water is possible.

Pak-istan786
11-21-2011, 05:01 PM
JazakAllah. So when using 700-750 ml of water ( or a bottle equivalent etc), what would be the way to ensure that your wudhu is complete? Wetting your hands and then wiping them along the arms, feet etc?

Sometimes I wonder how can every hair become wet if you're just wiping your hand over, what if you miss a spot? Or is the purpose of Wudhu and Ghusl to ensure that you've completed the actions and whether all the hair is wet or not and ritual accepted, is left to Allah SWT?

Pak-istan786
11-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Also, I know I shouldn't be thinking like this but sometimes I become quite negative and think " how is it possible for each hair to become wet, and yet we always say all the hairs and skin must become wet, there is something wrong here". I know that's a bad thought Astagfirullah, what should I do?

Dagless
11-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Sometimes I wonder how can every hair become wet if you're just wiping your hand over, what if you miss a spot? Or is the purpose of Wudhu and Ghusl to ensure that you've completed the actions and whether all the hair is wet or not and ritual accepted, is left to Allah SWT?
For wudu wiping over the hair is ok. For ghusl you need to make sure all hair is wet from from root to tip.

Pak-istan786
11-23-2011, 12:49 AM
Does anyone know the answers to my questions?

Insaanah
11-24-2011, 06:31 PM
JazakAllah. So when using 700-750 ml of water ( or a bottle equivalent etc), what would be the way to ensure that your wudhu is complete? Wetting your hands and then wiping them along the arms, feet etc?
If I find a reliable video, I'll post it inshaa'Allah.

Also, I know I shouldn't be thinking like this but sometimes I become quite negative and think " how is it possible for each hair to become wet, and yet we always say all the hairs and skin must become wet, there is something wrong here". I know that's a bad thought Astagfirullah, what should I do?
I believe Br Dagless has answered this.

Pak-istan786
11-24-2011, 09:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah

If I find a reliable video, I'll post it inshaa'Allah.

I believe Br Dagless has answered this.

OK JazakAllah for that. Well sometimes I think with a negative tendency i.e. "if you're doing Ghusl, how can everything become wet from root to tip?" "There must be some areas where water doesn't reach in its smallest form?" "Yet why do we say that every hair must be wet from root to tip, when I'm thinking there must be some areas where water doesnt reach during a single Ghusl?" and similar thoughts. There lies the issue with me, essentially. Hmmm tricky situation...or not?

Ramadhan
11-25-2011, 07:45 AM
OK JazakAllah for that. Well sometimes I think with a negative tendency i.e. "if you're doing Ghusl, how can everything become wet from root to tip?" "There must be some areas where water doesn't reach in its smallest form?" "Yet why do we say that every hair must be wet from root to tip, when I'm thinking there must be some areas where water doesnt reach during a single Ghusl?" and similar thoughts. There lies the issue with me, essentially. Hmmm tricky situation...or not?
It's not tricky at all. Prophet Muhammad (saw) did not ask you to wet to the smallest part of your hair, he never did.

And even if you use the whole tank of water, there's still possibility that a molecule part of your hair does not get touched by a water molecule.

Islam is moderation, brother.

Pak-istan786
11-26-2011, 07:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan

It's not tricky at all. Prophet Muhammad (saw) did not ask you to wet to the smallest part of your hair, he never did.

And even if you use the whole tank of water, there's still possibility that a molecule part of your hair does not get touched by a water molecule.

Ok see I didn't know that Prophet Muhammad( PBUH) did not ask you to wet every part to the most minute detail. So what we should do is, have a reasonable effort each time doing Ghusl and Wudhu, wet as much as you can within moderation each time, and then leave the rest to Allah SWT?

JazakAllah

Hamza Asadullah
11-28-2011, 12:37 AM
Ok see I didn't know that Prophet Muhammad( PBUH) did not ask you to wet every part to the most minute detail. So what we should do is, have a reasonable effort each time doing Ghusl and Wudhu, wet as much as you can within moderation each time, and then leave the rest to Allah SWT?

JazakAllah

Making intention of doing ghusl to become clean. Simply pass water over each and every area of the body a couple of times making sure to rub each wetted area with the hands and once every part of the body has been wetted and rubbed with the hands including in the navel, ears, then end with gargling water in the mouth and sniffing water in the nose and the Ghusl is done. Do not get obsessive about it. Just do the above mentioned as best as you can and then forget about it. If you get too extreme in any aspect of cleanliness then you are actually going against the principles of purification in Islam. Which would be contrary to what we are wanting to achieve which is purity to attain the pleasure of Allah so that we may worship him.

Dagless
11-28-2011, 01:29 AM

JazakAllah
Putting your hair under a shower or tap (if you have access) for ghusl should usually get every hair wet.

Pak-istan786
11-29-2011, 10:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah

Making intention of doing ghusl to become clean. Simply pass water over each and every area of the body a couple of times making sure to rub each wetted area with the hands and once every part of the body has been wetted and rubbed with the hands including in the navel, ears, then end with gargling water in the mouth and sniffing water in the nose and the Ghusl is done. Do not get obsessive about it. Just do the above mentioned as best as you can and then forget about it. If you get too extreme in any aspect of cleanliness then you are actually going against the principles of purification in Islam. Which would be contrary to what we are wanting to achieve which is purity to attain the pleasure of Allah so that we may worship him.
Wasalaam,

That makes sense. One thing, I thought you gargle, then clean the nose and nostrils, clean any areas of impurity and then put water over the entire body?

Pak-istan786
12-01-2011, 07:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan

OK So if you perform Wudhu and Ghusl normally, and like you said there is the possibility of a single hair not getting wet, then is your ritual accepted or not?

Also, are you sure Prophet Muhammad ( PBUH) did not ask you to wet to the smallest strand of hair? Because I always thought that in the books they always mention " if a single hair is left dry, your Wudhu/Ghusl will not be accepted and you will have to repeat it". What about this?

JazakAllah

Hamza Asadullah
12-01-2011, 08:19 AM
OK So if you perform Wudhu and Ghusl normally, and like you said there is the possibility of a single hair not getting wet, then is your ritual accepted or not?

Also, are you sure Prophet Muhammad ( PBUH) did not ask you to wet to the smallest strand of hair? Because I always thought that in the books they always mention " if a single hair is left dry, your Wudhu/Ghusl will not be accepted and you will have to repeat it". What about this?

JazakAllah
Asalaamu alaikum, yes every hair and part of the body must be wet but if you do ghusl and wudu normally by pouring water a couple of times in every part of the body rubbing with your hands,then every hair and part of your body would be cleaned with water.

Apart from that you do not need to spend anymote time thinking or worrying over it because extremism in cleaniliness goes against the purpose of purification.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!