/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do you get offended seeing visual depictions of the prophets?

Darth Ultor
11-23-2011, 08:21 PM
Say if someone were to draw Muhammad for example. Not in a "comic" way but in a serious way as he is described by Muslim sources (not sure where though, don't want to get link without a citation). Average height, prominent forehead, chest length beard, would it be a problem for you personally?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GuestFellow
11-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Yes, I would have a problem with that.

جوري
11-23-2011, 11:03 PM
When I went to Egypt over the summer they had two Iranian soaps one about Yusuf and the other Isa PBUT..
as good a soap as the Yusuf one was, I was really vexed that, they'd have this gay looking kid play him and an even more gay looking adult. When yousef PBUH was so handsome that women cut their fingers off when they saw him.. Now he'll forever be etched in the minds of the people as that kid or the adult version of him in that soap..

btw does anyone know who the reciter is?

Darth Ultor
11-23-2011, 11:11 PM
What [removed] is that they keep making Jesus white. Where does it say he was a white man with brown hair and blue eyes?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
11-23-2011, 11:18 PM
I hear he's chinese in China, and black in black churches so it depends on where you're from. and it is all wrong, it is disrespectful and just plain wrong.

Ghazalah
11-23-2011, 11:19 PM
^It's abdul baset :)

I knew quite a few people (family members also) who watched that series and were quite obsessed with it. But because it was Iranian they had the Shia version of the story, so much stuff that's never mentioned in the Quran or the tafsir of the Ayats was included! SubhanAllah.

to the OP-I would be upset if that happened. Drawing him as no flip sides to it, Muslims wouldn't be too happy, and the kaffirs wouldn't care, so don't do it all together.

bintYahya
11-23-2011, 11:23 PM
I heard some use the statement "his face shining as the sun" as an excuse to portray him as white... And even so, the Bible is against making images.

جوري
11-24-2011, 02:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazalah
^It's abdul baset :)

I knew quite a few people (family members also) who watched that series and were quite obsessed with it. But because it was Iranian they had the Shia version of the story, so much stuff that's never mentioned in the Quran or the tafsir of the Ayats was included! SubhanAllah.

to the OP-I would be upset if that happened. Drawing him as no flip sides to it, Muslims wouldn't be too happy, and the kaffirs wouldn't care, so don't do it all together.
I know I'd curse everyday when it comes on their audacity and transgression but would sit transfixed with my aunts and watch it anyway lol.. it was very well done and compared to the Egyptian soaps it was amazing.. there was also another one called 'malakoot' I am afraid of this kind of shiite invasion.. but I have to admit that there stuff at least had some virtue whereas the Egyptian stuff is completely inappropriate and not at all culture suitable..

the Isa one failed to capture my interest though..
this was all right before Ramadan and it was really nice.. It was nice to be home and feel at home.. I am thinking I should buy me a burial plot there or somewhere in the middle east. I'd hate to be buried in this cold unfeeling country...

:w:

Flame of Hope
11-24-2011, 03:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultor
Say if someone were to draw Muhammad for example. Not in a "comic" way but in a serious way as he is described by Muslim sources (not sure where though, don't want to get link without a citation). Average height, prominent forehead, chest length beard, would it be a problem for you personally?
:sl:

No.... I would not be offended. It is not a problem for me personally. And I see that I'm the only one so far who has said "No" in your poll.

People do all kinds of strange things..... forbidden things.... ghastly things..... horrible things..... insane things.....

Some may want to burn the Qur'an. Destroy the masjids perhaps? Draw a cartoon of the Prophet (saws)?

I hear about these sort of things in the news quite often.

I don't care what people do. They will be held accountable by God for THEIR actions. Me, for mine.

I believe the Truth is so powerful it needs no defense. Whosoever dares to oppose it or reject it will eventually be destroyed.

So....I prefer to mind my own business.

crimsontide06
11-24-2011, 05:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Riham

No.... I would not be offended. It is not a problem for me personally. And I see that I'm the only one so far who has said "No" in your poll.

People do all kinds of strange things..... forbidden things.... ghastly things..... horrible things..... insane things.....

Some may want to burn the Qur'an. Destroy the masjids perhaps? Draw a cartoon of the Prophet (saws)?

I don't care what people do. They will be held accountable by God for THEIR actions. Me, for mine.

I believe the Truth is so powerful it needs no defense. Whosoever dares to oppose it or reject it will eventually be destroyed.

I agree 100%. I prefer to mind my own business. I chose, no.

bintYahya
11-24-2011, 07:51 AM
Isn't a strong reaction what an anti-Islam cartoonist would want? It'd be disservice for our beautiful deen to get angry or whatever. No one should be able to hurt us, like if you've read ibn Taymiyyah's quote.

SFatima
11-24-2011, 10:12 AM
My answer is , yes I would not like any image associated with Prophet MUhammad saww (pbuh). I would be offended, I would voice my opinion, and that is about it. It is not allowed in Islam to associate images with the Prophets, we haven't seen them, and making a person of today trying to assimilate them might just make that false image sit in your mind, which will be a false depiction. It just seems wrong, I dont know, it feels disrespectful.

Ali_008
11-24-2011, 10:51 AM
The Prophet (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said, “I wish I could see my brothers, (the Companions said) aren’t we your brothers O Prophet of Allah? He replied: No, you are my Companions. My brothers are those who come after me and believe in me without seeing me.”
Ahmed, Sahih

Another narration says

When the Prophet visited Al Bakki’ (a burial-ground in Madienah next to the Prophet’s mosque) before his death, he told his companions:” I wish I could see my brothers.” They replied:”Aren’t we your brothers?” The Prophet said:”No, you are my companions, my brothers are those who didn’t see me and yet follow me and believe in me. I’ll wait for them on Al Hawdh (the Place where the Prophet is going to give all survivors a handful water from his noble hands that will make them never feel thirsty again after this hard day-the Judgment Day- and this will be directly before interring Paradise).

Which Muslim would like to see Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahuAlayhiWaSallam) before his/her death after reading this? ^o)

Darth Ultor
11-24-2011, 12:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SFatima
My answer is , yes I would not like any image associated with Prophet MUhammad saww (pbuh). I would be offended, I would voice my opinion, and that is about it. It is not allowed in Islam to associate images with the Prophets, we haven't seen them, and making a person of today trying to assimilate them might just make that false image sit in your mind, which will be a false depiction. It just seems wrong, I dont know, it feels disrespectful.
Yet I don't hear of Muslims objecting to movies about Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, David, or Jesus. Where was the objection to Mel Gibson's sick excuse for a movie?

Ali_008
11-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Yet I don't hear of Muslims objecting to movies about Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, David, or Jesus. Where was the objection to Mel Gibson's sick excuse for a movie?
Mel Gibson's movie dealt with "worship of Christ" and Muslims have nothing to do with it if that idea is shown altered or unseemly in the eyes of Christ worshippers. There's no difference between other movies and Mel Gibson's movie for Muslims because both of them are fiction. Similarly with other movies based on other prophets. To be very honest, even I didn't know that there were movies and tv shows on the lives of prophets and I came to know about them very recently so it could also be a matter of awareness as to why voices weren't raised against them in the Islamic world.

Ramadhan
11-24-2011, 02:25 PM

I beg to differ.

Rasulullah (saw) clearly and strongly forbid depictions of him and any other prophets (pbut)

So that is haraam.

and from Rasulullah (saw) too, when we see evil doing, we must remove it by hands, and if not possible, we must stand against it by tongue, and if not possible then we must curse/dislike it with our heart.

Islam is not the religion of hermit or for the apathetic. Islam is for society where the act of individual affects the whole society at large.

The least we can do when someone create images of prophet Muhammad SAW is to dislike it with our heart.

Muslims should and do care what people do.

Abdul-Raouf
11-24-2011, 02:36 PM
..my heart is against it...Depecting a prophet or a sahabah.

let it be in words.. than a picture.

Insaanah
11-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Muslims do tell Christians that the statues etc in churches are wrong, even according to the Bible.

And when Jerry Springer the Opera was screened, Muslims protested together with Christians:

A new, cross-faith conservatism is in the air: witness how Catholics, Anglicans, Jews and Muslims supported the Conservative Party Leader’s call for a cut in the time limit for abortion; how Muslims joined Christians in the unprecedented protests against the BBC’s screening of Jerry Springer: the opera; how evangelical Christians supported the banning of a play offensive to Sikhs; how Jewish leaders opposed the BBC’s cartoon series Popetown.
http://www.touchstonemag.com/archive...id=18-06-011-c

format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan
I beg to differ.

Rasulullah (saw) clearly and strongly forbid depictions of him and any other prophets (pbut)

So that is haraam.

and from Rasulullah (saw) too, when we see evil doing, we must remove it by hands, and if not possible, we must stand against it by tongue, and if not possible then we must curse/dislike it with our heart.

Islam is not the religion of hermit or for the apathetic. Islam is for society where the act of individual affects the whole society at large.

The least we can do when someone create images of prophet Muhammad SAW is to dislike it with our heart.

Muslims should and do care what people do.
I agree. If we stay silent, we are not even conveying to them that it is wrong to do so, depriving them of the right to know that information, even if they don't agree with it. We should at least be able to convey to them, that this is Islamically wrong, and it's forbidden. If we can't do that, then we can at least dislike it in our heart. To do none of those, is not Islamically an option, as indicated by the full text of the hadeeth that Brother Ramadhan mentioned above:

On the authority of Abu Sa'eed al-Khudree (may Allah be pleased with him) who said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah :saws: say : Whosoever of you sees an evil, let him change it with his hand; and if he is not able to do so, then [let him change it] with his tongue; and if he is not able to do so, then with his heart - and that is the weakest of faith. (Sahih Muslim)

If to hate it in our heart is the weakest of faith, then what is the status of not caring, feeling nothing, and that it's not our business and nothing to do with us?

A glimpse of what the possible answer to that might be is given here:

Abdullah bin Mas'ud (May Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger of Allah :saws: said, "Never a Prophet had been sent before me by Allah to his people but he had, among his people, (his) disciples and companions, who followed his ways and obeyed his command. Then there came after them their successors who proclaimed what they did not practise, and practised what they were not commanded to do. And (he) who strove against them with his hand is a believer; he who strove against them with his heart is a believer; and he who strove against them with his tongue is a believer ; and beyond that there is no grain of Faith". [Sahih Muslim].

So we must at least dislike it in our hearts, and to not do even that, is not Islamically an option.

And Allah knows best in all matters.

IslamicRevival
11-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Yes of course I do get offended but i would not go out on the streets, acting like a hooligan..IE Protesting

Neon Teen
11-27-2011, 02:46 PM
I would have a problew with that...Its a big sin and leads to hell.

Darth Ultor
11-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Can you bring a verse from the Quran or Hadith that says drawing will lead to Hell?

Off topic: What form of creativity isn't haraam? It seems that drawing, photography, film making...all forbidden.

Endymion
11-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Yes indeed,this will offend me as this is forbidden in Islam.And i'll show my offense in any possible way.If that person is Muslim,i'll tell them its haram showing them Ahadith and if they are non-Muslims,i'll tell them straight i dont like them drawing my Noble Prophet Muhammad SAW and will try to stop them.
I think its my responsibility to even show my anger on such people for a Prophet who endure all the tortures and had wounds of stones on His precious self just to spread the message and to save me and the whole Ummah from the torments of hell fire.
Mus'ab bin Umair RA sacrificed his life to rescue the Prophet Muhammad SAW from the attacks of Kuffar and i cant even show offense and try to stop people from doing a thing that Muhammad SAW hates for himself,then why am i Muslim for?

جوري
11-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Can you bring a verse from the Quran or Hadith that says drawing will lead to Hell?

Off topic: What form of creativity isn't haraam? It seems that drawing, photography, film making...all forbidden.
http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ml#post1480548

architecture, mathematical fractals, paintings and drawings that don't have human figures (in full) in other words features shouldn't be defined, calligraphy .. many things.. monolithic naked pieces of statues aren't considered as artistic as small pieces which require great skills and details..
if you marvel so much at naked statues you don't have time to appreciate the light coming in through brilliant archways, you don't appreciate the story in the murals told in the flowers and the water, you don't have time to smell the new carved wood by seasoned artisans and the marbles or the dazzle of the blue stain glass windows or worst yet appreciate the glory of the creator by reflecting on his actual creation and not a mock version of it..

best,

Neon Teen
11-28-2011, 02:49 PM

PLEASE REFER TO THE FOLLOWING...

1678. Ibn `Umar (May Allah be pleased with them) said: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Those who draw pictures will be punished on the Day of Resurrection; and it will be said to them: `Breathe soul into what you have created.'''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

1679. `Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) said: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) visited me after returning from a journey, and I had a shelf with a thin cloth curtain hanging over it and on which there were portraits. When he saw it, the colour of his face changed (because of anger) and he said, "O `Aishah! the most grievous torment from Allah on the Day of Resurrection will be for those who imitate (Allah) in the act of His creation.'' `Aishah said: We tore it into pieces and made a cushion or two cushions out of that.
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

1680. Ibn `Abbas (May Allah be pleased with them) said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) saying, "Every painter will go to Hell, and for every portrait he has made, there will be appointed one who will chastise him in the Hell.'' Ibn `Abbas said: If you have to do it, draw pictures of trees and other inanimate things.
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

1681. Ibn `Abbas (May Allah be pleased with them) said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) saying, "Whosoever makes a picture, will be punished on the Day of Resurrection, and will be asked to infuse soul therein, which he will not be able to do.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

1682. Ibn Mas`ud (May Allah be pleased with him) said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) saying, "Those who will receive the most severe punishment from Allah on the Day of Resurrection will be painters (of living objects).''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

1683. Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "The Almighty Allah said: `Who is more an oppressor than him who goes to create like My creation? Let him make an ant or a grain of corn or a grain of barley.'''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

peace_maker
11-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Yes, I would be offended. Firstly, it is haram, not only to draw prophets but to draw any living things except nature. And secondly, I don't see a reason for the need to picture our dear Prophets.
And once we draw anybody, we start to picture the person as the picture drawn. For example, when we talk about Harry Potter, we automatically bring the picture of the visual character, i.e. from the movie, Daniel Radcliffe. But that doesn't matter cause, Harry Potter is fictious and does not really exist. But that's not the same for picturising any real life human being.

None of us know how the Prophets actually looked like. And we must not try to picture them by our imagination. This would put a wrong picture in the minds of others.

format_quote Originally Posted by crimsontide06
I agree 100%. I prefer to mind my own business. I chose, no.
Ofcourse they'll be accounted for thier actions. But, we as Muslims must oppose the wrong. The least we can do is show opposition.

For example, if any of your family member is being humiliated/insulted, you are not going to just stand there and say to yourself, "I don't care, God will take of him!"

It just doesn't work!

If you think even if you oppose, it will be of no use, then you are wrong. ONE MAN DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

peace_maker
11-28-2011, 07:46 PM
None of the above are haraam, unless haraam is not included in it. About drawing, it's already cleared my Neon Teen's post. As for photography and film making, they are not forbidden, as long they are for a good cause. Like, modeling is haraam and taking photoes at other times are not. And it's the same for film making too. Remember, as long as your intentions are pure, it's not haraam.

Asiyah3
11-28-2011, 08:44 PM
As a Muslim I am against any drawings of Prophets (peace be upon them). We don't need images to love the righteous.

Perseveranze
11-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Peace,

I think it would be one of the only few ways I could be offended.

IAmZamzam
02-23-2013, 04:22 PM
What [removed] is that they keep making Jesus white. Where does it say he was a white man with brown hair and blue eyes?
Where'd they ever say he had a thick British accent either? But he always does.

People have a way of taking a good thing and running with it. The original idea was that people should not craft icons, that's all. And somehow everyone got it in their heads that this means never making any images of prophets whatsoever, no matter the reason, no matter the usage, because apparently if you did an illustrated book about the prophets for children then their first instinct would be to fall down in front of the pretty pictures. Or if you were to, say, make a pro-Islamic pamphlet for outsiders with a picture on the cover of the prophets welcoming us all with open arms, that could be interpreted somehow as inviting shirk. I've never heard such nonsense. It's total paranoia. It's weird how many times lately I've had to discuss the slippery slope fallacy.

EDIT: Here's a link.

Abu Loren
02-23-2013, 04:49 PM
Narrated `Aisha:
The Prophet ()entered upon me while there was a curtain having pictures (of animals) in thehouse. His face got red with anger, and then he got hold of the curtain andtore it into pieces. The Prophet ()said, "Such people as paint these pictures will receive the severestpunishment on the Day of Resurrection ."
Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 6109
In-book reference : Book 78, Hadith 136
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 8, Book 73, Hadith 130

Narrated Abu Talha:
The Prophet ()said, "Angels do not enter a house that has either a dog or a picture init."
Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 3322
In-book reference : Book 59, Hadith 128
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 4, Book 54, Hadith 539

Insaanah
03-05-2013, 05:09 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by IAmZamzam
The original idea was that people should not craft icons, that's all. And somehow everyone got it in their heads that this means never making any images.. [...].. ...I've never heard such nonsense. It's total paranoia. It's weird how many times lately I've had to discuss the slippery slope fallacy.
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Loren
The Prophet ()entered upon me while there was a curtain having pictures (of animals) in thehouse. His face got red with anger, and then he got hold of the curtain andtore it into pieces. The Prophet ()said, "Such people as paint these pictures will receive the severestpunishment on the Day of Resurrection ."
:jz: brother Abu Loren for posting this hadeeth. This puts to rest any notion, such as in the link in post above yours, that only icons or pictures that might lead to worship were forbidden. Clearly the Prophet :saws: and his household (may Allah be pleased with them), would not worship and would not be led to worship the images in pictures. If the above was the real reason, then the Prophet :saws: would not have got angry, nor wold have ordered the curtain to be torn. It's interesting that in the link given in the post, no hadeeth of the Prophet :saws:, of which there are many, prohibiting picture making, has been used, and instead, one report of not even a sahaabi, but perhaps one of the taabi'een, which doesn't refer to the Prophet :saws: in any way, has been used to make the opposing point.

And Allah knows best.

IAmZamzam
03-05-2013, 06:03 PM
What the link mainly said is that "pictures and paintings were primarily used for the purpose of polytheistic worship". This is why they "mocked Allah in the process of creating", as all those other ahadith said. Assocation mattered. Other Muslims may have known you weren't a fire worshiper but you still made the statement anyway by growing the beard. It's not as though in the very act of sculpting a sculptor is playing God. He could even be making a sculpture of a man pointing to the heavens, with a caption beneath saying, "ALWAYS LOOK UP IN WONDER AT THE BEAUTY OF THE SKIES AND SEE THE GLORY OF CREATION, AND WORSHIP THE ONE WHO MADE IT ALL." Is that evil? Now if, on the other hand, the sculptor were making one of the idols which were smashed in a certain public place by a certain prophet we know....

Abu Loren
03-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Narrated Muslim:

We were with Masruq at the house of Yasar bin Numair. Masruq saw pictures onhis terrace and said, "I heard `Abdullah saying that he heard the Prophet()saying, "The people who will receive the severest punishment from Allahwill be the picture makers.'"

Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 5950
In-book reference : Book 77, Hadith 166
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 7, Book 72, Hadith 834

Narrated `Abdullah bin `Umar:

Allah's Messenger ()said, "Those who make these pictures will be punished on the Day ofResurrection, and it will be said to them. 'Make alive what you havecreated.'"

Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 5951
In-book reference : Book 77, Hadith 167
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 7, Book 72, Hadith 835

Narrated `Aisha:

I never used to leave in the Prophet ()house anything carrying images or crosses but he obliterated it.

Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 5952
In-book reference : Book 77, Hadith 168
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 7, Book 72, Hadith 836

GodIsAll
03-07-2013, 07:12 PM
I know I have seen some depictions of The Prophet that appear to have been in very old texts, but I cannot search for them now. A westerner may have done them, though. From what I know, this is not uncommon among the Shia, yes? Guide me if I am incorrect.

crimsontide06
03-08-2013, 01:18 AM
no...getting all hot and bothered over a picture is silly.

Iceee
03-08-2013, 02:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by crimsontide06
no...getting all hot and bothered over a picture is silly.
So someone posts a picture of you but you have [edit] and red lips from lipstick. Are you going to get "all hot and bothered over this picture?" You're silly ;D

The thing is, we don't know how the Prophet (peace be upon him) looked like. Let's keep it that way. The visuals of the Prophet (peace be upon him) on T.V, Internet, etc. are of course 99.999999999999999% wrong anyway since we don't know.

Darth Ultor
03-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Uh, isn't there a testimony of one of his companions somewhere describing him?

Abu Loren
03-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Uh, isn't there a testimony of one of his companions somewhere describing him?
Describing somebody and taking a photo is two different things.

The Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) described what the other Prophets looked like when he met them on the Mi'raj.

Ahmad H
08-13-2013, 03:19 PM
Yes. I am only okay with seeing him (saw) in my dreams. If anyone wants to see him (saw) they can just pray fervently to Allah to see him (saw). But with a cartoon depiction it removes the sacredness behind seeing him (saw).

I have seen him (saw) thrice in my life so far. I don't need cartoon drawings of him as I think they are disrespectful now that I have had these beautiful experiences. No Muslims should be okay with it. And at the same time, when someone does draw him, Muslims shouldn't become violent about it but should write letters and emails to those who draw these cartoons and speak up about it being wrong to do so. Violent actions about cartoon depictions on the Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw) are wrong and they show Muslims as being bad examples of Islam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!