/* */

PDA

View Full Version : [READ] Searching Islam - Website I made

Perseveranze
12-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

I wanted to share a very simple website I made recently (link at the bottom). It's basically a google powered search engine, the difference is, when you search for something, it filters out Anti-islamic/misleading websites.

People who are new to Islam or those with little knowledge would try searching for answers, only to be spammed by Islamophobic websites, some unfortunatly buy into this and are mislead. Even those who are knowledgeable, end up being fustrated by having to go through alot decieving sites.

For example, if you go on google and type "Taqiyya", you get this on the first page (jazakhallah to the brother who made this screenshot) -

As you can see it's bombarded by Anti-Islam websites, with the purpose to decieve the reader. However, if we do this same search on the filtered website (link at the bottom), we get this -

As you can see from above, the results are precise and they come from hand picked authentic Islamic websites. This way, you can find whatever you are looking for alot quicker.

I wanted to request two things from the brothers and sisters reading this;

a) That you could share the link with others you know.
b) That you could assist me in adding more Islamic websites to the search database.

In elaboration of b, I have added most of the main Islamic websites to the searches, there may have been some that I missed which I hope people can notify me of. The types of websites I'm looking to add are;

- Analytical websites (these websites are knowledge based and have alot of explanation of Islamic related material)
- Dedicated refute websites (websites that are dedicated to refuting Islamaphobes)
- Question and Answer websites (Involving answers given by Scholars)
- Websites that also refute deviant sects, such as Shia etc.

Blogs, forums etc. are also fine.

Here is a list of all the websites I've added so far - List

And that's basically it. This the website link, please save it -

www.searching-islam.com

Jazakhallakair for reading.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
12-13-2011, 03:08 AM
Great work!

Jazakallah khayr for this.
Saves me time and headache of going through/purging all those anti Islamic websites which only add popularity to those sites.

Good brother
12-30-2011, 10:48 PM
Jazakhallakaira

~Zaria~
12-31-2011, 06:23 AM
MashaAllah!

This is incredible!
Cant wait to spread the word to my all friends and family, insha Allah.

May Allah reward you for the hard work and dedication you have put into this, Ameen.

Salaam :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
~Zaria~
12-31-2011, 07:00 AM
Ive just done a quick search on it.....

There seems to be many Islamic 'forum-based' sites that come up.

I was just wondering how sites were 'screened' for the development of this search engine.....I can imagine its no easy task.....

(On a side note, thats kinda related to this topic -

I think when searching for Islamic knowledge/ answers to matters of fiqh, etc - its good to have a list of web-sites that you know are trusted and reputable, and perhaps just stick to these when searching about any matter.

Its not a very good idea to seek answers from discussions found on forums tbh - the fact is that these discussions are held by people like you and me - 'laymen' in this deen.
And whilst they may hold a wealth of information - they can also serve to be very misleading, clouded by peoples personal opinions, etc.

Remember: 'Information' is NOT equal to 'Knowledge'.
Knowledge comes from expierence and applying yourself to a particular field.
Information comes from a Google search.

You may come to the same answer in many cases, but ask yourself:
If you had a very serious medical problem, eg. cancer - would you seek advise from other lay-people, or patients that may have expierenced the same condition?
Or do you find the best EXPERT in the field?

The same should apply to Islamic knowledge.
Seek it from scholars/ muftis/ ulema.......less chance of being misguided this way, insha Allah.

Sorry for getting carried away on this side-track.....

We can resume with the topic again :)

JazakAllah again Akhi.

Huzzy_786
01-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Outstanding work! A new to start to something more muslamic :P

Perseveranze
01-24-2012, 01:08 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Updated the link in the main post, it's now -www.searching-islam.com

format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~

I was just wondering how sites were 'screened' for the development of this search engine.....I can imagine its no easy task.....

I think when searching for Islamic knowledge/ answers to matters of fiqh, etc - its good to have a list of web-sites that you know are trusted and reputable, and perhaps just stick to these when searching about any matter.

Its not a very good idea to seek answers from discussions found on forums tbh - the fact is that these discussions are held by people like you and me - 'laymen' in this deen.
And whilst they may hold a wealth of information - they can also serve to be very misleading, clouded by peoples personal opinions, etc.

If you had a very serious medical problem, eg. cancer - would you seek advise from other lay-people, or patients that may have expierenced the same condition?

Seek it from scholars/ muftis/ ulema.......less chance of being misguided this way, insha Allah.

JazakAllah again Akhi.

Asalaamu Alaikum,

I did think about that in regards to forums, however by removing forums, you would remove a whole ocean of information. There are some excellent websites that Google sadly does not cache due to lack of traffic, however through forums people are able to post links based on certain issues and problems leading people to find exactly what they're looking for. Above this, there are (from what I've seen) many knowledgable brothers and sisters on various forums, who would give excellent answers and when appropriate, refer people to scholars based on certain questions.

I think in this respect, the good outweighs the bad alot.

On the contrary, I don't think people who seek serious medical problems or any complex marraige situations should ever go searching for the solution over the internet, that should always be done by askng scholars. For this reason, I do plan on adding links specifically for "scholar websites" where people can ask the more complex questions to live scholars.

But I think Inshallah when I get time I'll just add another search, and only include the sites that are run by Scholars only - as an alternative.

Perseveranze
01-29-2012, 01:27 AM

JazakAllah again Akhi.

Asalaamu Alaikum,

Jazakallahkair for your suggestion, I've been able to implement it to the searches.

Now, when you search something, you will have results from authentic islamic websites, but seperatly, you can also see results from only Scholar based websites. Inshallah this will be useful to people.

As always, please suggest any scholar based sites that I may add. I think I have most of the main one's, but I'm sure I might be missing some. So please refer websites so I can add them.

Jazakallahkair.

Here's the example to show you the scholar results -

~Zaria~
01-29-2012, 05:05 AM
^ Alhamdulillah!

This is great! ;D

I use these 2 scholarly sites frequently as well:

www.askimam.org

www.darulihsan.com

Salaam

Perseveranze
01-29-2012, 05:29 PM
^ Alhamdulillah!

This is great! ;D

I use these 2 scholarly sites frequently as well:

www.askimam.org

www.darulihsan.com

Salaam
Jazakallahkair,

Didn't know about the second one, added it. I have like 40+ from Scholar based websites, though I'm sure there's more. I mean, there might be some blogs that scholars post good content on, just need to find them.

If you know any others, let me now.

Perseveranze
01-31-2012, 11:41 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Updated the website.

- Improved the search results (especially for Scholar)
- Added a video/lecture search (Islamic videos/lectures only).
- Changed the look so it's easier for people to use.

Here's how it is -

If you have any suggestions or anything, please let me know.

Jazakallahkair.

Insaanah
03-08-2012, 09:25 PM
:sl:

I'm using this quite a bit now when searching for Islamic material and finding it very helpful and beneficial. Jazaakallah khayr for your efforts.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!