/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Diet and Workout Tips

Beardo
12-05-2011, 10:52 PM
I'd like some dieting tips, but more importantly - I'd like to start working out at the gym. I don't know how to use the equipment and I'd like to first learn at home a little before I embarrass myself at the gym. My friend offered to take me, but I put that on hold, too, lol.

So any links to tips and intro guides? :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ghazalah
12-05-2011, 11:43 PM
The gym should have an induction session, whereby they have someone to show you how to use them machines. Do they not have that? :ermm:

Hamza Asadullah
12-06-2011, 12:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo
I'd like some dieting tips, but more importantly - I'd like to start working out at the gym. I don't know how to use the equipment and I'd like to first learn at home a little before I embarrass myself at the gym. My friend offered to take me, but I put that on hold, too, lol.

So any links to tips and intro guides? :)
Asalaamu Alaikum, break the ice first by actually going to the gym and checking it out first to see if it is suitable for your needs. After checking the gym out if you are interested in joining then you pay a joining fee and are given an induction whereby the instructor takes you through all of the machinery. This is your chance to familiriaze yourself with the equipment and ask the instructor the best way to use them. They will also have fitness plans available depending on what you want to achieve. So everything you need and want to know you will find there.

Aim for at least 3-4 times a week resistance training and cardio depending on how much weight you want to lose. Tell the instructors what you want to achieve and they will give you advice and tips and a plan relevant to your needs.

You should really concentrate on your diet as there is no use going to the gym if you scoff on junk food all the time. Refer to this thread:

15 Ways to Lose Weight and get your health back

http://www.islamicboard.com/health-s...alth-back.html

ariginality
12-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Advice from a personal trainer: I'm not going to try to tell you "everything you need to know." But the most important factors are watching your calorie intake versus what you burn. The very simple equation (when you cut out all of the fat, hype, and sales gimmicks) is if you burn more than you take in you will lose weight and vice versa (treating yourself to an ice cream sunday after you worked out so hard is counter productive). People often say you need to do "weight training and cardio" but the fact is that the most efficient use of gym time is to incorporate both together in activities like circuit routines. Number of calories burned in the gym is purely based on your heart rate (intervals between your fat burning zone (zone 3) and your cardio zone (zone 4) is ideal). Invest in a heart rate monitor if you want to have a clue what your getting done (the treadmills are inaccurate and you have to hold on, plus the question begs to be asked: what's your heart rate when you're hitting the weights?). And if you're concerned about risking injury and maximal results invest in a good personal trainer. It is the best and cheapest form of preventive healthcare and is completely overlooked by the vast majority of society. And if your trainer doesn't back up what I just said I recommend you get a better one and/or educating yourself. As a newbie though, you should be able to get results quite easily. The number one factor is consistency; your not going to accomplish it all in one session at the gym, so don't bother trying if it's going to risk you burning out. Enough said! Now get moving!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!