/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Teach me how to make Bolani Sabzi from scratch

جوري
12-06-2011, 11:15 PM
I assume that's what the afghans call those spinach turnovers? They're never greasy .. And coupled with mint yogurt sauce I believe to be the ideal meal and/or appetizer .. Don't mind the recipe for that either pls.

Jzk

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
12-07-2011, 01:37 AM
come on all you valiant afghans share your secrets pls. :statisfie:p

Abz2000
12-07-2011, 01:58 AM
i found this for ya sis,

http://www.chineseop.com/cuisine/Does-anyone-have-a-recipe-for-afgan-spinach-bolani-.html

the bread part in that link is readymade,
so here's the recipe for the bread:

BOLANI DOUGH
Ingredients
10-14 c. whole-wheat flour (amount of flour will depend of humidity and elevation)
4 tsp. salt
4 cups warm water
4 tsp. olive oil
(You may add one or two eggs if you would like a flakier crust.)
Directions
Mix flour and salt. Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour oil in well. Add water incrementally as you fold flour over oil. The dough should be a bit drier than a pizza dough but a bit more wet than a scone dough. Let dough sit covered for an hour to an hour and a half.
Roll out a ball of dough 1/3 the size of the palm of your hand. The dough should be very very think, almost 1/32” thick, and 6-9” in diameter. Put a large spoonful of one of the fillings below and spread over one half of the circle, working from the center out. Be sure to leave a bit of room to pinch a small crust. Fold the other half of the dough over the filling, and pinch the sides together, using water to secure the dough if necessary. Brush the top with oil and grill on George Foreman grill or sandwich press for about 5 minutes, or until all of the dough has turned from light brown to a golden tan.
Serve with strained, plain yogurt or your favorite sweet or spicy chutney.

جوري
12-07-2011, 02:08 AM
Jazaka Allah khyran akhi..
btw what is indian palak paratha and garam masala?

I have to say when I have it at the afghan kebab house and I have had all of them the pumpkin and meat varieties etc but the potatoes 'kacheloo' I think they're called and the Spinach are my favorite.. so light and airy and not greasy it doesn't bother my stomach at all and I have suffered since childhood with all kinds of tummy problems so I like to keep it simple.. Indian food and I have had many Indian friends over the years, when they make me something I can be sure that my eagerness to please and eat what they've made will turn to dread sometime around 3 am :skeleton:

I wonder why the Afghans are so secretive with their recipes? I also like their raisin carrot rice and their 'shir chai'

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
12-07-2011, 02:12 AM
this is what it looks like:

with the mint yogurt mmmmm mmmmmm.. of course when my mom makes it it doesn't taste the same.. I asked the owner for the recipe and he said that he uses dill weed and garlic etc.. going to try it soon..

Also their bread differs from the middle eastern bread I am used to and the Indian Naan .. it is nicer than both ..

Abz2000
12-07-2011, 02:17 AM
welcome sis,
Palak is a type of spinach that is available more in winter season. It is tasty, easy to clean and also cooks faster.
paratha is obviously the greasy bread
the palak paratha is parata with palak in it, you can add all sorts of ingredients, including lentils coriander, jeera etc into paratha to make it a ready to go portable meal which you can just munch without much fuss. sort of like a "breakfast bar", or should i say "lunch roll".
here's a link:
http://www.cookatease.com/palak-paratha-indian-bread-with-spinach

garam masala is just a blend of ground spices, although "garam" means "hot", it doesn't have to be hot, just intense.
the ingredients vary from region to region, my mum calls it "mix powder", she just buys a bunch of different packs and mixes them into one large jar.

جوري
12-07-2011, 02:21 AM
Jazaka Allah khyran.. I am going to try it but I have this feeling that it isn't how the afghans make it =(
this looks baked into the bread not stuffed in it no?

Abz2000
12-07-2011, 02:37 AM
never made it in my life sis, but it does look nice, i like experimenting with different ingredients and have the women screaming with laughter when i throw something unlikely in, they usually turn out great and they finally grudgingly admit that it's ok.
i did regularly choose crepes at the local market before and used to love it, they'd use loads of cheese and spinach and jamaican chilli and olives and mushrooms, all made in front of your eyes.
mmmmmmmmmmm soft and greasy

جوري
12-07-2011, 03:25 AM
I don't like soft and greasy =( I like crunchy and savory .. and I don't like things to be so overstuffed that they're cloying or have a funny after taste, rather the right kind of ooze.. I have never cooked in my life outside of sandwiches and eggs (because I don't like cooking odor) but have recently gained interest (not in the odor but the cooking) I might shop around for the right recipe insha'Allah and give it a go.. what's the worst that could happen :skeleton:

Abz2000
12-07-2011, 04:10 AM
The worst?
Probably that everyone else politely munches away to keep you happy, and you eagerly munch away simply because you made it. :)
I remember American mustard sauce didn't go too well with pasteurised milk and dessicated coconut in the lamb curry....... But that was a one off :)

جوري
12-07-2011, 04:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
The worst?
Probably that everyone else politely munches away to keep you happy, and you eagerly munch away simply because you made it. :)
I remember American mustard sauce didn't go too well with pasteurised milk and dessicated coconut in the lamb curry....... But that was a one off :)
:haha: one time I attempted tea walhi I don't know why I ended up vomiting but my brother may Allah swt bless him, never liked to hurt my feelings he drank the whole thing.. I had it and vomited now pray do tell how do you mess up tea? it was my first attempt and I wasn't savvy to balances and measures..

Abz2000
12-07-2011, 04:27 PM
:lol: how can ANYONE mess up with water sugar a teabag and milk?
no wonder arabs have so many maids!

جوري
12-07-2011, 05:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
:lol: how can ANYONE mess up with water sugar a teabag and milk?
no wonder arabs have so many maids!
well in my defense the tea didn't come in tea bags my family liked it loose so when it looked a little light when I made it, I kept adding a little of this and a little of that, then a little more of this and a little more of that.. when we had it, it was just so disgusting it turned my stomach instantly I assure you I know how to make excellent tea since.. of course there was a large gap to learn that perfection after I accidentally set the kitchen on fire shortly there after...imsad

Rhubarb Tart
12-07-2011, 05:24 PM
http://www.afghancooking.net/afghan-...-turnover.html

جوري
12-07-2011, 07:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sweet106
Jazaki Allah khyran sis.. how did you ever find that?.. and the more important question is why don't they have the recipe for spinach.. I'd like to know how they get it to be so airy, do they add cheese or cream or what...

:w:

Tyrion
12-07-2011, 07:29 PM
My mom makes the best (even though I'm not that fond of boloni in general..)... No idea how she does it though. :p: Sorry!

جوري
12-07-2011, 07:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
My mom makes the best (even though I'm not that fond of boloni in general..)... No idea how she does it though. :p: Sorry!
well go ask man what is keeping you from helping us out?
how can you not be fond of boloni? it is awesome positively awesome..

Snowflake
12-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Paratha is the traditional roti (chappati) made will butter/ghee sis. Stuffed paratha is made with fillings like boloni. :)

OMG I have this intense desire to serve you all kinds of parathas I do best and only let you go when you get sick of them and start trying to escape. ;D Oh man.. I wish I could have my own little tea shop that serves nothing but parathas and samosas with desi tea :statisfie

جوري
12-07-2011, 08:51 PM
^^^^ feed me seymour feed me.. btw I have a very strong aversion to ghee .. can you make it without it?
beggars can't be choosers I know..
let's open a restaurant together .. I am so sick of medicine.. it sucked my youth and life and left me dry..
I'll run the operation and you do the cooking.. what say you?

Snowflake
12-07-2011, 09:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ßlµêßêll
^^^^ feed me seymour feed me.. btw I have a very strong aversion to ghee .. can you make it without it?
beggars can't be choosers I know..
let's open a restaurant together .. I am so sick of medicine.. it sucked my youth and life and left me dry..
I'll run the operation and you do the cooking.. what say you?

Name the airport? :D I'm already in my pinny turning parathas on the griddle :D

Parathas can be made with butter mind you. It's up to you how greasy you want them : )

Lol this is torture. I want everyone to eat my parathas. :omg:

Salahudeen
12-07-2011, 10:14 PM
I feel like Paratha now!!! :omg:

Salahudeen
12-07-2011, 10:42 PM
1 lb. russet potatoes (about 2 medium-size potatoes)
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
1/2 cup finely chopped scallions white and green parts

Just wondering, what is the above and can you get it in British supermarkets?

جوري
12-07-2011, 10:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dying Rose

Name the airport? :D I'm already in my pinny turning parathas on the griddle :D

Parathas can be made with butter mind you. It's up to you how greasy you want them : )

Lol this is torture. I want everyone to eat my parathas. :omg:
JFK I'll be waiting for ya shugga.. I don't like em greasy want them like the picture crunchy with just the right amount of stuffing..

format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
1 lb. russet potatoes (about 2 medium-size potatoes)
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
1/2 cup finely chopped scallions white and green parts

Just wondering, what is the above and can you get it in British supermarkets?
Is there something about Spinach that others find objectionable?????.. I keep asking for the spinach recipe and no one seems to have heard of it and the other half scurry for their lives :heated:

Salahudeen
12-07-2011, 11:07 PM
JFK I'll be waiting for ya shugga.. I don't like em greasy want them like the picture crunchy with just the right amount of stuffing..

Is there something about Spinach that others find objectionable?????.. I keep asking for the spinach recipe and no one seems to have heard of it and the other half scurry for their lives :heated:
lol Can't this one be adapted to include spinach??

جوري
12-07-2011, 11:11 PM
lol Can't this one be adapted to include spinach??
yes but I want to know how they make their spinach so light, fluffy and not disgusting.. definitely not the way my mother makes spinach lol..:phew

Salahudeen
12-07-2011, 11:13 PM
^If I come across an Afghan, I'll make sure I ask.

جوري
12-07-2011, 11:20 PM
^If I come across an Afghan, I'll make sure I ask.
you're so helpful akhi Jazaka Allah khyran

Tyrion
12-08-2011, 06:55 AM
I've never heard of the spinach version either... I'll try and remember to ask mi madre after finals have passed... Until then, I need to get back to studying!

PRAY FOR ME PEOPLE

alhamdulilaah
12-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Here are some paratha recipes u can try:

http://www.pakladies.com/how-to-make...h-urdu-recipe/

The layered Paratha:
http://www.pakladies.com/lacha-paratha/

All kinds of Parathas:

http://www.angelfire.com/country/fau...ipe/bread.html

With Potatoes:
http://www.angelfire.com/country/fau...ooparatha.html

With White Raddish (Daikon) (Mooli in urdu) filling:

http://www.angelfire.com/country/fau...liparatha.html

http://preetyskitchen.blogspot.com/2...blog-post.html

Even u can have a mincemeat Paratha or cauliflower one also.

Spinach filled Paratha would be tricky, but if u cook Spinach in such a way that the water is all dried, then it will stay inside the Paratha.

Take a packet of spinach from the supermarket, which is already chopped.Otherwise buy fresh spinach, wash and clean, put it in the pot , cover and let it cook ,When it is nicely cooked, put it in the blender, it will become fluffy. Now, in a pot put some oil about 2 tablespoons, add garlic and ginger paste,1 teaspoon each would be enough.Add the spinach, salt, red chilli powder, and if u like add cumin powder and coriander powder and some chopped green chilies.Fry for some minutes and mix well with spices. I think this fluffy spinach will be difficult to keep inside a Paratha, so u can make a Paratha separately, and eat with the Spinach/Palak.

You can make Paratha in oil, like olive oil also. And you can use very little oil also.Its not necessary that you use butter or ghee in the parathas.

alhamdulilaah
12-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Paratha is the traditional roti (chappati) made will butter/ghee sis. Stuffed paratha is made with fillings like boloni. :)

OMG I have this intense desire to serve you all kinds of parathas I do best and only let you go when you get sick of them and start trying to escape. ;D Oh man.. I wish I could have my own little tea shop that serves nothing but parathas and samosas with desi tea :statisfie
Oh, this little tea shop would be lovely, especially if its all free.

I think nobody would get sick and escape from your Parathas.

Snowflake
12-08-2011, 09:49 AM
ßlµêßêll
Eh I thought you'd come here? I prefer the UK me thinks:p But trust me if I could make parathas for you, I'd keep trying until I got it just the way you like it. However hold that thought about the tea shop insha Allah. It's definitely worth considering once I'm fit and healthy again insha Allah.

Lol not but I could only eat a spinach one if it's been cooked by myself or my mum, or any Pakistani for that matter.

Here's an Indian recipe for spinach paratha (I might try it). Hope that helps insha Allah :)

Haya emaan
12-08-2011, 11:10 AM
well in my defense the tea didn't come in tea bags my family liked it loose so when it looked a little light when I made it, I kept adding a little of this and a little of that, then a little more of this and a little more of that..
this is how i m make the tea..:hiding: never know how much to add the things in first attempt
actualy i dont drink tea so i just have to go with the color not taste..:hmm:

oh sister please don't forget to invite me to your little tea shop.. i m a great lover of potato filled parathas made with ghee and butter...* mouth filled with water*:p

Snowflake
12-08-2011, 11:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslima haya
oh sister please don't forget to invite me to your little tea shop.. i m a great lover of potato filled parathas made with ghee and butter...* mouth filled with water*:p
Awwwww sureeee sis. It'd be my pleasure!! I'd invite the whole of IB down! :statisfie
I like to put a good amount of potato in my parathas. Also like to make my mixture so that you get little chunks of potato here and there in it. How about gobi parathas? Do you like gobi? And Keema parathas? Oh and I even made a cheese n' onion paratha, and a red onion and green chilli paratha. Lol I wish you could taste em now :ermm:

Haya emaan
12-08-2011, 11:38 AM

Awwwww sureeee sis. It'd be my pleasure!! I'd invite the whole of IB down! :statisfie
I like to put a good amount of potato in my parathas. Also like to make my mixture so that you get little chunks of potato here and there in it. How about gobi parathas? Do you like gobi? And Keema parathas? Oh and I even made a cheese n' onion paratha, and a red onion and green chilli paratha. Lol I wish you could taste em now :ermm:
i wish i could..!!

no dear i dont eat gobi.. but cheese and onion parathas.. i love it.. i never tasted the home made of both.. tried the ready made ones.. i wish someone make it for me...

Snowflake
12-08-2011, 11:44 AM

i wish i could..!!

no dear i dont eat gobi.. but cheese and onion parathas.. i love it.. i never tasted the home made of both.. tried the ready made ones.. i wish someone make it for me...
Aww it's not hard ukhti. Why not try following from the vid I posted above? Practice makes perfect - parathas :p

Haya emaan
12-08-2011, 11:51 AM

Aww it's not hard ukhti. Why not try following from the vid I posted above? Practice makes perfect - parathas :p
what here says is.. first learn to make your roti goal (round) and my roti shapes like.. my brother says its amoeba:hmm: parathas come next so i have to wait until it goes round..:p

Snowflake
12-08-2011, 12:13 PM

what here says is.. first learn to make your roti goal (round) and my roti shapes like.. my brother says its amoeba:hmm: parathas come next so i have to wait until it goes round..:p
Lol nooo!! :skeleton: Don't listen to your brother. Tell him the roti isn't going to stay round when it goes in his tummy so who cares ^o)

And anyway amoeba's are interesting shapes lol. At this stage just make sure the edges are rolled firmly to make them thin. That way you won't be left with soggy undercooked edges. Oh and don't offer your brother any. Let the smell of them have him begging you for some:coolious:

جوري
12-09-2011, 05:17 AM
I am obviously hungry .. but I think Afghani food is the best food there's on the face of the earth..

Baunjaun Bouranee (eggplant slices layered over mint yogurt)

Lowand (chicken breast sauteéd in savory yogurt sauce
seasoned with fresh dill and tarragon)

Mantoo (beef dumplings) is a classic afghan dish.

Charcoal-grilled Lamb Kabob (Bareh) with Kabuli Palow rice.
Kabuli Palow is the classic afghan rice dish named for the capitol city.

fresh-baked afghan bread

Dessert: Pistachio-rosewater ice cream

alhamdulilaah
12-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Here are some bolani and afghan recipes u can check, as they are from afghani forums and websites, they might be authentic.

http://asiarecipe.com/afgveg.html#leek

Bolani recipe is in the very first reply:
http://afghanforum.afghansite.com/in...?showtopic=554

http://www.virtualafghans.com/cultur...pes/bolani.asp

Afghan sauces:

http://asiarecipe.com/afgsauce.html#Coriander

Ramadhan
12-10-2011, 12:43 AM

Charcoal-grilled Lamb Kabob (Bareh) with Kabuli Palow rice.

AAAhh.... now I understand!!
In indonesia we have some type of dish called "nasi kebuli", or "kebuli rice".
I always thought it originated from India or Arab because of the palau rice and/or because many indian/arabs cook them.
Now I know that kebuli = kabuli

Tyrion
12-10-2011, 01:00 AM
Is it really named after Kabul? Pretty sure Kabul is spelled with a ك while Kabuli Palow/Qabuli Palow is spelled with a ق... Then again, I'm pretty weak in my knowledge of these things. :p:

All I know for sure is that it's one of my favorites (with chicken instead of lamb)... Along with Mantoo... My mom makes both of them sooooo well. :D

جوري
12-10-2011, 01:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan

AAAhh.... now I understand!!
In indonesia we have some type of dish called "nasi kebuli", or "kebuli rice".
I always thought it originated from India or Arab because of the palau rice and/or because many indian/arabs cook them.
Now I know that kebuli = kabuli
Yeah we've very similar stuff called shish kebab, gyros, shawarema.. we make it with tahini sauce.. it is actually very similar in taste to the afghani version.. I think we just use fries if at all or pickles rather than this raisin carrot rice which I adore..

format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion

Is it really named after Kabul? Pretty sure Kabul is spelled with a ك while Kabuli Palow/Qabuli Palow is spelled with a ق... Then again, I'm pretty weak in my knowledge of these things. :p:

All I know for sure is that it's one of my favorites (with chicken instead of lamb)... Along with Mantoo... My mom makes both of them sooooo well. :D
That's just the menu from one of the restaurants I frequent quite possible he got it wrong not you.. along with the turnovers that's usually what I order when I eat at an afghan restaurant except I do like the lamb more than the chicken.. also I like the shir chai and the ice cream although I have it every once in a blue moon really puts me in the right mood.
I like afghani food much more than Indian food, as it lacks the heart burn that ensues and there are no funny colors or what at times is a sweet cloying after taste but I am told by my friends that such things depend on region.

CosmicPathos
12-10-2011, 01:50 AM
I do not know much about Afghan food but Tilmeez promised me that we will slaughter cows at his farm house and make fresh Chapali Kababs (peshawari/afghani spicy kabab), here's to hoping that comes to fruition but not sure since he seems to have forgotten to keep in touch.

Tilmeez
12-10-2011, 04:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by CosmicPathos
I do not know much about Afghan food but Tilmeez promised me that we will slaughter cows at his farm house and make fresh Chapali Kababs (peshawari/afghani spicy kabab), here's to hoping that comes to fruition but not sure since he seems to have forgotten to keep in touch.
Subhanallah!
You came online after so many days just to disclose something that was between you and me?:raging: I'm not rich enough to slaughter a cow, even sheep (the promised ones) are getting out of range (you don't worry I'll keep my word :p). I can't remember when last I bought a sheep for Namkeen Ghosht (Slaty meat) which I make the best. I also make very tasty liver bbq.

But both of these things involve typical utensils and are best made in open area.

I hope I don't get killed for following this thread for so long and not giving any input. I will try taking photos of normal prathas which are a routine in our home :p

Ali_008
12-10-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm hungry and you guys are talking about such delicacies. Have some compassion for your brother. :-[

P.s. - I'm waiting for pasta which I asked for 15 mins ago. :hmm:

CosmicPathos
12-10-2011, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tilmeez
Subhanallah!
You came online after so many days just to disclose something that was between you and me?:raging: I'm not rich enough to slaughter a cow, even sheep (the promised ones) are getting out of range (you don't worry I'll keep my word :p). I can't remember when last I bought a sheep for Namkeen Ghosht (Slaty meat) which I make the best. I also make very tasty liver bbq.

But both of these things involve typical utensils and are best made in open area.

I hope I don't get killed for following this thread for so long and not giving any input. I will try taking photos of normal prathas which are a routine in our home :p
I dont doubt what you are saying, you are living in a country where people are more interested in Veena Malik than rising prices.

You should not worry about the animals, just keep praying I become a radiologist! Then we can buy a whole farm (inshAllah!).

And not too fond of livers and spleens (and intestines, some people eat these :S), the question is, can you make Raan?

and I love parathas, always have, save mooli waala paratha. What sort do you make?

Tilmeez
12-11-2011, 05:42 AM
^CP, we normally make simple ones or occasionally Aalo pratha :p Never made moli pratha... Yaas to Raaan :p

This is what we had on our Dasterkhawan this morning... a routine breakfast at our home is consist of prathas and roti, prathas to be eaten with milk (my daughters) with tea (my wife) and Roti with left over Saalan of night (for me).

Yeah, this is Turnips and Potatoes :ermm:

I was wondering if the size of Pratha matters :X

Edit:
Coming up next:`,~`,~`,~`,~`,~`,~`,~`,~`,~`,~`,~

I will try taking a few picture of Qahwah I normally have.... hope brothers and sisters will be pleased to have some qahwah after spinach and prathas :p

جوري
12-11-2011, 06:04 AM
Yum yum masha'Allah .. Yes I'd not mind some Turkish coffee after

alhamdulilaah
12-11-2011, 03:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tilmeez
^CP, we normally make simple ones or occasionally Aalo pratha :p Never made moli pratha... Yaas to Raaan :p

This is what we had on our Dasterkhawan this morning... a routine breakfast at our home is consist of prathas and roti, prathas to be eaten with milk (my daughters) with tea (my wife) and Roti with left over Saalan of night (for me).

Yeah, this is Turnips and Potatoes :ermm:

I was wondering if the size of Pratha matters :X

Edit:
Coming up next:`,~`,~`,~`,~`,~`,~`,~`,~`,~`,~`,~

I will try taking a few picture of Qahwah I normally have.... hope brothers and sisters will be pleased to have some qahwah after spinach and prathas :p

MashaAllah, beautiful Dasterkhawan. Whenever we have the parathas, it can be alo (potatoes), moli (white raddish), gobi (cauliflower), or keema (the mincemeat). Otherwise the simple ones can go with any vegetables, omelettes, curry, korma, dal (lentils), the list goes on... The parathas go best when it is rainy season or at breakfast.

Haya emaan
12-11-2011, 06:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alhamdulilaah
The parathas go best when it is rainy season or at breakfast.
parathas ARE for breakfast.. (atleast at my home^o))

CosmicPathos
12-11-2011, 09:02 PM
ooh man, those turnips seem irresistible. My mom makes similar stuff, the parathas are of same color (buttered all over!) and those turnips/shalgum with shora (soup) are just amazing.

Nice kettle as well :)

Good to know that you can make aalo paratha! You better start preparing for an eating rampage at your place soon.

Rhubarb Tart
12-15-2011, 02:06 PM

Jazaki Allah khyran sis.. how did you ever find that?.. and the more important question is why don't they have the recipe for spinach.. I'd like to know how they get it to be so airy, do they add cheese or cream or what...

:sl:

I dont know much about afghan food. I googled it, and I found that link I posted.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!