12-06-2011, 11:17 PM
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

NASA's planet-hunting Kepler spacecraft has confirmed the
discovery of its first alien world in its host star's habitable zone —
that just-right range of distances that could allow liquid water to exist —
and found more than 1,000 new explanet candidates, researchers
announced on Dec. 5.

Al-Jathiya (The Kneeling)
إِنَّ فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ لَآيَاتٍ لِّلْمُؤْمِنِينَ (45:3)

Inna fee alssamawati waalardi laayatin lilmumineena

45:3 (Y. Ali) Verily in the heavens and the earth, are Signs for those who believe.

__________________________________________________ __

Al-Anbiya (The Prophets)
أَوَلَمْ يَرَ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا أَنَّ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضَ كَانَتَا رَتْقًا فَفَتَقْنَاهُمَا وَجَعَلْنَا مِنَ الْمَاء كُلَّ شَيْءٍ حَيٍّ أَفَلَا يُؤْمِنُونَ (21:30)
Awalam yara allatheena kafaroo anna alssamawati waalarda kanata ratqan
fafataqnahuma wajaAAalna mina almai kulla shayin hayyin afala yuminoona

21:30 (Y. Ali) Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were
joined together (as one unit of creation), before we clove them asunder?
We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?
__________________________________________________ ___

http://news.yahoo.com/nasa-telescope...162005358.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abz2000
12-07-2011, 02:43 AM
i've heard of people seeing loads of water in the deserts too, they're usually mirages............
we've never been told of life on other planets by any of the Prophets pbut,
the only other beings we're told of are angels and jinns which may be interplanetary,
http://www.harunyahya.com/Quran_translation/Quran_translation37.php

so personally i wouldn't give it much attention unless it's proven

sabr*
12-12-2011, 07:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
i've heard of people seeing loads of water in the deserts too, they're usually mirages............
we've never been told of life on other planets by any of the Prophets pbut,
the only other beings we're told of are angels and jinns which may be interplanetary,
http://www.harunyahya.com/Quran_translation/Quran_translation37.php

so personally i wouldn't give it much attention unless it's proven

Tafsir should assist your understanding.

Ash-Shura (The Consultation)

وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَمَا بَثَّ فِيهِمَا مِن دَابَّةٍ وَهُوَ عَلَى جَمْعِهِمْ إِذَا يَشَاء قَدِيرٌ (42:29)
Wamin ayatihi khalqu alssamawati waalardi wama baththa feehima
min dabbatin wahuwa AAala jamAAihim itha yashao qadeerun

42:29 (Y. Ali) And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth,
and the living creatures that He has scattered through them: and He has power to
gather them together when He wills.

sabr*
12-12-2011, 07:18 AM

Not one of the beings in heavens or earth...

Practicing Muslims don't limit the Power of Allah. Allah power is limitless.

Practicing Muslims who understand what is recited in Salah (Prayers) repeat often:

Al-Fatiha (The Opening)
الْحَمْدُ للّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ (1:2)
Alhamdu lillahi rabbi alAAalameena

1:2 (Y. Ali) Praise be to Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds;
__________________________________________________ _____

Maryam (Mary)
إِن كُلُّ مَن فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ إِلَّا آتِي الرَّحْمَنِ عَبْدًا (19:93)
In kullu man fee alssamawati waalardi illa atee alrrahmani AAabdan

19:93 (Y. Ali) Not one of the beings in the heavens and the earth but
must come to ((Allah)) Most Gracious as a servant.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abz2000
12-12-2011, 12:20 PM
I didn't say it's impossible, I'm saying we haven't been told about life on other planets,
Angels travel throughout the heavens and jinn travel to the boundaries of the lower heaven,

It is futile to speculate that other beings exist without any clear authority,

Enter not, therefore, into controversies concerning them, except on a matter that is clear.......
Quran 18:25

Snowflake
12-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Allahu alam. The Prophet salallahu alayhi wa sallam has given us signs of things that we will witness up to the Day of Judgement. As far as I know nothing about contact with alien life or their impact on us and vice versa was mentioned by Rasulullah. So even if there is life out there, I doubt it will make a difference to us. And Allah knows best.

Muezzin
12-13-2011, 11:19 AM
I think it's amazing. But they seriously need to think of a better name than Keppler-22b.

Galaxy
12-13-2011, 04:22 PM
I wonder what kind of life lives there.

Woodrow
12-13-2011, 04:52 PM
A few things to think about. Finding intelligent life on other worlds will not contradict anything in the Qur'an. The matter is not of our concern. Contact with extra terrestrial intelligent beings is probably impossible except for possible evidence through radio transmissions etc. Even then 2 way instant communication is out of the question. For example if we wereto send a radio transmission to Keppler 22B today, they will not even receive it for 600 years and then it would bee another 600 years before we get a reply at the earlies.

When looking 22B we are seeing it as it was 600 years ago. It may not even still exist. If it blew up today,we would not know it until 600 years from today. And so far that appears to be the closest planet to us with even a possibility of intelligent life.

sabr*
12-13-2011, 08:52 PM

The current technology hasn't been invented to allow exploration to confirm or discount the extent of intelligent beings.

Islam isn't against science and technology. The power of Allah isn't limited by the limited thoughts of
his creation. Many of Allah's creation had a view that the earth was flat until technology advanced.

The technology Allah has provided but just hasn't been discovered to advance mankinds understanding
and knowledge. Just reflect on what Allah has created that we know. Amazing when you reflect on the power of Allah.

Snowflake
12-14-2011, 09:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
A few things to think about. Finding intelligent life on other worlds will not contradict anything in the Qur'an. The matter is not of our concern. Contact with extra terrestrial intelligent beings is probably impossible except for possible evidence through radio transmissions etc. Even then 2 way instant communication is out of the question. For example if we wereto send a radio transmission to Keppler 22B today, they will not even receive it for 600 years and then it would bee another 600 years before we get a reply at the earlies.

When looking 22B we are seeing it as it was 600 years ago. It may not even still exist. If it blew up today,we would not know it until 600 years from today. And so far that appears to be the closest planet to us with even a possibility of intelligent life.

Asslamau alaykum br. Woodrow!

Good to see you back! How're you and how is your wife now insha Allah? I have been keeping you both in my prayers. Hope you're both doing well insha Allah :)

CosmicPathos
12-15-2011, 02:41 AM
I do think that finding material intelligent life elsewhere will contradict the message of Quran. According to quran, the only two intelligent beings are Humans and Jinns. Humans are vicegerents of God. If there are intelligent aliens, are they not vicegerent of God? If they are intelligent then why not? :s

As for this finding, just because the planet is in habitable zone, it does not mean it is habitable. Habitable zone only relates to planet's distance from its star and the amount of heat reaching the planet's surface. Even if based on the distance earth-like heat reaches the planet, it does not mean that planet will have earth like temperature. Due to runaway greenhouse effect, it could be as hot as venus.

I do not believe intelligent life exists because Quran does not say so.

@br woodrow: insightful comment, as always. :)

Ramadhan
12-15-2011, 02:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by CosmicPathos
I do think that finding material intelligent life elsewhere will contradict the message of Quran. According to quran, the only two intelligent beings are Humans and Jinns
Can you please tell us which Qur'an verse that says the only two intelligent beings are humans and djinns?

Humans are vicegerents of God. If there are intelligent aliens, are they not vicegerent of God? If they are intelligent then why not? :s
When your Lord said to the angels: `I am placing in the earth a vicegerent,' they said: `Will You put there one who will make there mischief and will shed blood, while we proclaim Your praise and glorify You?' (Surah al-Baqarah, 2:30)

My understanding of this verse is that humans are Allah's vicegerents on earth. It also does not say that humans are the only Allah's vicegerents in the known universe.
Do not get me wrong, I'm not saying that there must be aliens out there, but from my understanding, Al Qur'an does not rule out that possibility.

As for this finding, just because the planet is in habitable zone, it does not mean it is habitable. Habitable zone only relates to planet's distance from its star and the amount of heat reaching the planet's surface. Even if based on the distance earth-like heat reaches the planet, it does not mean that planet will have earth like temperature. Due to runaway greenhouse effect, it could be as hot as venus.
I agree.

CosmicPathos
12-15-2011, 05:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan

Can you please tell us which Qur'an verse that says the only two intelligent beings are humans and djinns?

When your Lord said to the angels: `I am placing in the earth a vicegerent,' they said: `Will You put there one who will make there mischief and will shed blood, while we proclaim Your praise and glorify You?' (Surah al-Baqarah, 2:30)

My understanding of this verse is that humans are Allah's vicegerents on earth. It also does not say that humans are the only Allah's vicegerents in the known universe.
Do not get me wrong, I'm not saying that there must be aliens out there, but from my understanding, Al Qur'an does not rule out that possibility.

I agree.

Yes Allah swt has not said in Quran that He has not created any else except humans and jinns. But read the Quran, what is the tone? Do not you think that Quran puts humans as its center of message? Does not Quran claim to be the last book? The Final Word? Did aliens receive this final word? No. Then how can Allah leave aliens in ignorance of the Final Word? Do you understand what I am saying?

Yes I have no direct evidence that Allah did not create aliens. But all the indirect evidence, centrality of Quran's message towards humans, not a single mention of aliens in quran etc all direct to the fact that Allah did not create intelligent aliens. He only created man, and He sent prophets to man. Actually most of His beloved creations also happens to be a man i.e. Prophet Muhammad. How come Allah's most beloved Prophet was not an alien, if indeed Allah created aliens somewhere out there?

Moreover, if there are intelligent aliens, it gives more support to theory of evolution, and less support to the idea that some Being created us.

Scimitar
12-15-2011, 09:02 PM
I'm wondering what project bluebeam is gonna be making people believe once they get it working properly.

Scimi

Ramadhan
12-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Yes Allah swt has not said in Quran that He has not created any else except humans and jinns. But read the Quran, what is the tone? Do not you think that Quran puts humans as its center of message? Does not Quran claim to be the last book? The Final Word? Did aliens receive this final word? No. Then how can Allah leave aliens in ignorance of the Final Word? Do you understand what I am saying?
As far as I know, the Qur'an puts human as its centre of message because Qur'an is the guidance for mankind not for animals, aliens or djinns.
And correct me if I'm wrong, yes Qur'an is The Final Word for mankind, but Allah does not say that Qur'an is HIS Final Word. Are you saying that Allah has no more word?
Qur'an contains the basics and necessary guidance for mankind to attain salvation in this world and hereafter.
Qur'an also only lists few types of animals and plants, but does this mean other animals and plants do not exists? of course not.

Yes I have no direct evidence that Allah did not create aliens. But all the indirect evidence, centrality of Quran's message towards humans, not a single mention of aliens in quran etc all direct to the fact that Allah did not create intelligent aliens. He only created man, and He sent prophets to man. Actually most of His beloved creations also happens to be a man i.e. Prophet Muhammad. How come Allah's most beloved Prophet was not an alien, if indeed Allah created aliens somewhere out there?
Whether intelligent aliens exist or not why would Qur'an contain specific mention of them if their existence (or lack of it) has no bearing towards our salvation in this world and hereafter?
Say, there are intelligent aliens out there, but before we made any contact with them, we (humans) experience our qiyamah. So this means their presence affects zilch to our existence.
Judging by the events in the world today (and based on ahadeeth shahih and hasan), it does seem that mankind will see that day before long.

Moreover, if there are intelligent aliens, it gives more support to theory of evolution, and less support to the idea that some Being created us.
I don't see why the presence of intelligent aliens is evidence for ToF.

Again, I'm not saying there are intelligent aliens out there, but I will be careful in not to say there is no intelligent alien when Allah SWT does not negate it. Just like I won't be saying there's no bacteria and viruses just because Qur'an does not specifically mention about them.

In fact, Allah SWT says:

It is Allah Who begins (the process of) creation; then repeats it; then shall ye be brought back to Him. (QS. ar Rum:11)
See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah. (QS. Al Ankabut:19)

The creation of the heavens and the earth is indeed greater than the creation of mankind; yet, most of mankind knows not. (QS. Ghâfir:57)

CosmicPathos
12-15-2011, 11:19 PM

As far as I know, the Qur'an puts human as its centre of message because Qur'an is the guidance for mankind not for animals, aliens or djinns.
And correct me if I'm wrong, yes Qur'an is The Final Word for mankind, but Allah does not say that Qur'an is HIS Final Word. Are you saying that Allah has no more word?
Qur'an contains the basics and necessary guidance for mankind to attain salvation in this world and hereafter.
Qur'an also only lists few types of animals and plants, but does this mean other animals and plants do not exists? of course not.

Whether intelligent aliens exist or not why would Qur'an contain specific mention of them if their existence (or lack of it) has no bearing towards our salvation in this world and hereafter?
Say, there are intelligent aliens out there, but before we made any contact with them, we (humans) experience our qiyamah. So this means their presence affects zilch to our existence.
Judging by the events in the world today (and based on ahadeeth shahih and hasan), it does seem that mankind will see that day before long.

I don't see why the presence of intelligent aliens is evidence for ToF.

Again, I'm not saying there are intelligent aliens out there, but I will be careful in not to say there is no intelligent alien when Allah SWT does not negate it. Just like I won't be saying there's no bacteria and viruses just because Qur'an does not specifically mention about them.

In fact, Allah SWT says:

It is Allah Who begins (the process of) creation; then repeats it; then shall ye be brought back to Him. (QS. ar Rum:11)
See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah. (QS. Al Ankabut:19)

The creation of the heavens and the earth is indeed greater than the creation of mankind; yet, most of mankind knows not. (QS. Ghâfir:57)
I do not think you have presented a convincing case that in Islamic theology there is a possibility of alien life.

Of course there are many animals that are not mentioned in Quran but they exist. Just like that there might be non-intelligent animals in space that Quran did not mention. I am talking about intelligent species.

As for qiyamah, qiyamah implies end of everything as we know it. Destruction of universe, end of time, end of matter. How can then aliens survive that? :s

Once again, there is no evidence in Quran that there is possibility of intelligent beings apart of Jinns and Humans.

You are right, Quran is not THE final word of Allah swt. But Quran is a miraculous book sent for jinns and humans. If jinns are included in that category, someone who in invisible, why not include intelligent aliens too who are actually visible if they do exist? :S

The presence of intelligent aliens give support to TOE by supporting the claim that life can emerge randomly, and that random event of emergence of human intelligence was not special after all, it happened elsewhere in the universe, and that was expected from pure chemistry and biology of genetic evolution since the universe is so big. Fermi's paradox.

sabr*
12-15-2011, 11:29 PM

Allah Subhanahu wa-ta'ala ( سبحانه و تعالى‎) power and knowledge is limitless.
The mind of Allah's creation can be limited.

When Allah created the Heavens and the Earth man didn't
have the capacity to absorb the knowledge and it was
gradually given to man.

The Quran was revealed in stages not in one day.

The advancement of technology allows mankind to discover
(not create) knowledge Allah has already created.

Our limited minds can never limit the power of Allah. Some will still believe the
earth is flat no matter what is presented. Mankind couldn't even absorb another
life form beyond what they understand. Do you not realize there is creation on
earth you are unaware of? Microorganisms we can't even see...

Attachment 4481

In Islam, nature is not seen as a separate entity, but rather as an integral part of
our understanding Allah, his creation, and humanity.

This might be a revelation to those claiming the practice of Islam but
from a Islamic view science and the study of nature (sciences) is a
link to the concept of Tawhid (Belief in the oneness of Allah) and other
branches of knowledge.

In Islam the view of evolution doesn't involve man.
That the created species are constant, and do not evolve into other species.

Many Muslims intertwine the Theory of Creationism from a Christian theology
concept which opposes the Darwin evolution time lines and theories.

The Christian concept Adam(AS) and Eve Huwa(AS) were created on earth.
The Muslim acknowledge Allah created Adam(AS) and Eve(AS) in heaven.

Reading comprehension can never be underestimated.

أَلَمْ تَرَ أَنَّ اللّهَ خَلَقَ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالأَرْضَ بِالْحقِّ إِن يَشَأْ يُذْهِبْكُمْ وَيَأْتِ بِخَلْقٍ جَدِيدٍ (14:19)
Alam tara anna Allaha khalaqa alssamawati waalarda bialhaqqi in yasha yuthhibkum wayati bikhalqin jadeedin

14:19 (Y. Ali) Seest thou not that Allah created the heavens and the earth in Truth?
If He so will, He can remove you and put (in your place) a new creation?

Ramadhan
12-15-2011, 11:56 PM
I do not think you have presented a convincing case that in Islamic theology there is a possibility of alien life.

Of course there are many animals that are not mentioned in Quran but they exist. Just like that there might be non-intelligent animals in space that Quran did not mention. I am talking about intelligent species.

As for qiyamah, qiyamah implies end of everything as we know it. Destruction of universe, end of time, end of matter. How can then aliens survive that? :s

Once again, there is no evidence in Quran that there is possibility of intelligent beings apart of Jinns and Humans.

You are right, Quran is not THE final word of Allah swt. But Quran is a miraculous book sent for jinns and humans. If jinns are included in that category, someone who in invisible, why not include intelligent aliens too who are actually visible if they do exist? :S

The presence of intelligent aliens give support to TOE by supporting the claim that life can emerge randomly, and that random event of emergence of human intelligence was not special after all, it happened elsewhere in the universe, and that was expected from pure chemistry and biology of genetic evolution since the universe is so big. Fermi's paradox.
It seems you are already set in your belief that there cannot be intelligent aliens created by Allah.

While my belief is: I don't know, there might be, there might not be. Their existence (or lack thereof) does not affect my belief in Allah in any way.

I guess we will only be informed of everything during yaumul qiyamah.

sabr*
12-16-2011, 12:01 AM

The presence of intelligent aliens give support to TOE by supporting the claim that life can emerge randomly,
and that random event of emergence of human intelligence was not special after all, it happened elsewhere in
the universe, and that was expected from pure chemistry and biology of genetic evolution since the universe is so big.
Fermi's paradox.

Akhi CosmicPathos:

Muslims who practice the Sunna with knowledge don't hold the view that life can emerge randomly.

Allah is in control of all that exists. When it is created and destroyed. Darwin was a amateur naturalist
who in the 1800 observed birds. That is hardly credence to any theory from him being valid.

Science from an Islamic view acknowledges science studies confirming the power of Allah and
the relation of that study to Allah's creation.

Practicing Muslims don't adopt the Christian theology view of creationism.

CosmicPathos
12-16-2011, 01:18 AM

It seems you are already set in your belief that there cannot be intelligent aliens created by Allah.

While my belief is: I don't know, there might be, there might not be. Their existence (or lack thereof) does not affect my belief in Allah in any way.

I guess we will only be informed of everything during yaumul qiyamah.
Well its hard for me to believe that Allah created other intelligent beings aside from jinns and humans. I was also once in "i dont know" camp but I have different belief now. Lack of existence of life elsewhere in universe is a very strong teleological and cosmological argument regarding Earth being a unique place for harboring life, especially in the context of a heliocentric universe.

Abz2000
12-16-2011, 02:58 AM
There are verses which may support the possibility,
And it can be assumed that it is unlikely that Allah created all those galaxies without a purpose,
But I ignore it since it is irrelevant to me and there is no proof,
Hell they're still telling us about researching the possibility of sustaining life on mars which is next door.

I'll tell you an argument I can think of that could be used as an argument to support the possibility,
When Allah announced to the angels that He would put a vicegerent on earth, they replied: will You place therein one who would shed blood and make corruption therein? He said: I know what you know not.

when asked of the names of all things, they replied: glory be to You, we have no knowledge except what You have taught us.

Question is, how would the angels know that man would do all this when they don't know anything other than what they are taught? Unless they'd been told or seen it happen before...

Argument against:
Why did the prophets (pbut) not tell us about the judgement of other beings in the hereafter?
And about sharing paradise with the Prophets of the other planets?

As you can see, this is all conjecture with no evidence and no valid reason for disputing to or for as we could be wrong either way.

And what would we gain from it?

Secondly, it doesn't matter what theory it might support if it is true,
Would life on another planet be a reason for us to disbelieve when we already acknowledge that Allah has created everything? Rather it should make us awestruck and more eager to be the best ummah in the cosmos.

CosmicPathos
12-16-2011, 03:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
There are verses which may support the possibility,
And it can be assumed that it is unlikely that Allah created all those galaxies without a purpose,
But I ignore it since it is irrelevant to me and there is no proof,
Hell they're still telling us about researching the possibility of sustaining life on mars which is next door.

I'll tell you an argument I can think of that could be used as an argument to support the possibility,
When Allah announced to the angels that He would put a vicegerent on earth, they replied: will You place therein one who would shed blood and make corruption therein? He said: I know what you know not.

when asked of the names of all things, they replied: glory be to You, we have no knowledge except what You have taught us.

Question is, how would the angels know that man would do all this when they don't know anything other than what they are taught? Unless they'd been told or seen it happen before...

Argument against:
Why did the prophets (pbut) not tell us about the judgement of other beings in the hereafter?
And about sharing paradise with the Prophets of the other planets?

As you can see, this is all conjecture with no evidence and no valid reason for disputing to or for as we could be wrong either way.

And what would we gain from it?

Secondly, it doesn't matter what theory it might support if it is true,
Would life on another planet be a reason for us to disbelieve when we already acknowledge that Allah has created everything? Rather it should make us awestruck and more eager to be the best ummah in the cosmos.
The angels knew it because they had seen the Jinns create corruption on Earth. Plus angels have no free will. What they say is from Allah.

Ramadhan
12-16-2011, 04:41 AM
The angels knew it because they had seen the Jinns create corruption on Earth. Plus angels have no free will. What they say is from Allah.
I thought angels have intellect (ability to reason) but they have no desires whatsoever (no nafs al ammarah no nafs al shahwat etc)?

Abz2000
12-16-2011, 05:32 AM
Dunno, it feels to me that they're like fully programmed beings, just like a computer or robot can do calculations, but nothing outside the commands taught to them, this is not in a disrespectful way because gabriel (as) is a messenger of Allah and Allah has declared enmity to his enemies,
but Allah knows best, there is a narration which states that Gabriel (as) stuffed mud in pharaoh's mouth to prevent him from supplicating when he was drowning.

May Allah's peace be upon them.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!