/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is this a dying power supply problem or something else?

Salahudeen
12-12-2011, 09:42 PM
I can't tell if the Power Supply is faulty or its another problem, the PSU is brand new, but everytime I switch the PC on after leaving it off for ages, nothing shows on the screen the keyboard lights don't even come on, and the led indicators on the front of the case don't even light up, however all the fans are spinning and the DVD drives open up,

If I press the power button and turn the machine on and off a few times, eventually I get POST, do you think the PSU is dying slowly or is it something else?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abz2000
12-12-2011, 11:05 PM
it really does sound like the capacitors in the psu are requiring a few restarts to charge up enough to power it up, but it's impossible to tell without testing
removing that 300mb gfx card should help diagnose it quickly

Salahudeen
12-12-2011, 11:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
it really does sound like the capacitors in the psu are requiring a few restarts to charge up enough to power it up, but it's impossible to tell without testing
removing that 300mb gfx card should help diagnose it quickly
If I connect the Monitor to the VGA port on the MB will that be enough? I mean will it produce a POST because I don't have on board graphics I think. just a VGA port on the back below printer port.

Abz2000
12-12-2011, 11:29 PM
thats the onboard basic one, it should do the job fine, but you have to remove the agp one for it to be activated

so if we isolate the psu, the hdd, the od, and the gfx, the only items remaining seem to be the memory, cpu and motherboard.
maybe it is time for a new one, personally i would just get the mobo, cpu and ram.

check these out for low cost high spec:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MSI-G41M-P28-Intel-Socket-775-2-x-ddr3-Micro-Atx-Pc-Computer-Motherboard-LAN-USB-/120771312794?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item1c1e 87fc9a#ht_5277wt_1396

this can be overclocked even more:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Core...#ht_500wt_1413

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Salahudeen
12-13-2011, 01:04 AM
I've got a new PC bro, but I want to figure out what's wrong with this 1 lol.

Ali Mujahidin
12-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Does the power cable of your monitor connect to the power supply of your computer or does it connect directly to another external power socket?

Salahudeen
12-13-2011, 06:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali Mujahidin
Does the power cable of your monitor connect to the power supply of your computer or does it connect directly to another external power socket?
it connects to the plug socket in the wall. its not powered by the psu.

Dagless
12-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Did you unlock a core? Reset your bios settings to default and then try to boot. A brand new psu is unlikely to be the problem imo.

Salahudeen
12-13-2011, 08:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
Did you unlock a core? Reset your bios settings to default and then try to boot. A brand new psu is unlikely to be the problem imo.
Nah I never, I've tried loading bios to defaults, the thing is, the problem is getting progressively worse each day, the number of times I have to switch it on and off to boot up is increasing every day which means something is dying slowly I think.

Bro it is possible the new PSU is faulty since it was a cheapo unbranded one :p hehe argh I'm just going to return it and see what they say. Annoying thing about buying stuff over internet, delivery charges!

Ali Mujahidin
12-13-2011, 10:59 PM
It could also be a problem with the ic controlling the flow of power to your motherboard. btw it might just be cheaper to buy a new psu locally.

Salahudeen
12-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Well it's not the PSU, I tried the PSU from my new PC and same problem, I give up, just gonna throw it in the bin.

Dagless
12-14-2011, 05:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
Nah I never, I've tried loading bios to defaults, the thing is, the problem is getting progressively worse each day, the number of times I have to switch it on and off to boot up is increasing every day which means something is dying slowly I think.
Set bios settings to minimum specs.
Did you remove all your additional hardware? So you only have motherboard, processor, hd and RAM? (actually remove all but one stick of RAM too).
If you still have the problem; run a memtest and cpu test (when you can boot).

Random question, but you have plugged in 2 power connectors on the motherboard?

'Abd Al-Maajid
12-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Can anyone tell me what is PSU? :p Is it power supply unit? :p

Salahudeen
12-15-2011, 01:23 AM
Set bios settings to minimum specs.
Did you remove all your additional hardware? So you only have motherboard, processor, hd and RAM? (actually remove all but one stick of RAM too).
If you still have the problem; run a memtest and cpu test (when you can boot).

Random question, but you have plugged in 2 power connectors on the motherboard?
Yeah I tried all the above, it's really weird, the fans spin but the LED lights don't come on, doesn't get to POST, nothing shows on the screen. What do you mean by two power connectors??

Dagless
12-15-2011, 08:25 AM
What do you mean by two power connectors??
If you bought the X3 they usually need 2 power connectors into the motherboard (the normal atx connector and a 4 pin atx).

Salahudeen
12-15-2011, 01:24 PM
If you bought the X3 they usually need 2 power connectors into the motherboard (the normal atx connector and a 4 pin atx).
oh nah, it's very old pc, it's AMD athlon 2600+ xp, 2.13 ghz single core, bought it in 2003, I think the motherboard is just dying or something, cos I've had it for soo long.
It only has DDR ram too and the ram is really slow mhz, and old 64 mb ram, graphics card. its for the scrap I think.

Salahudeen
12-15-2011, 01:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd Al-Maajid
Can anyone tell me what is PSU? :p Is it power supply unit? :p
Yes bro lol ;D

Abz2000
12-16-2011, 12:37 AM
bro, i've been bugging you to try hire's boot cd, that also has memtest in it.
i've got a feeling you'll be able to isolate the issue with just one disk.
i'm like you, once i've spent a few hours on something, i don't like giving up too easily no matter how cheap it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiren's_BootCD

Salahudeen
12-16-2011, 12:39 AM
bro, i've been bugging you to try hire's boot cd, that also has memtest in it.
i've got a feeling you'll be able to isolate the issue with just one disk.
i'm like you, once i've spent a few hours on something, i don't like giving up too easily no matter how cheap it is.
I can't use the boot disk cos I can't even get to POST, on the off chance I do get to POST after switching it on and off about 15 times, what shall I do with the CD? like what tests?? :p jazakAllah khair

Abz2000
12-16-2011, 12:51 AM
bro, you've isolated it down to the mobo, ram and hdd,
with the boot cd, you can remove the hdd and plug in the optical disk drive.
run live mini xp to see if it runs ok without the hdd.
run a live test on the memory with memtest.
the thing with memory is that it can work even when faulty, so you can't just tell by seeing it start - unless you try replacement modules
once you've isolated it to the mobo, you can check it to see if there are any bloated capacitors, if so, replace them, 30p each, all you need is a soldering iron, flux, and solder.
to go further you'd need a mulitmeter.

Salahudeen
12-16-2011, 01:02 AM
I'm useless with soldering bro and I really do think it's the motherboard, the capacitors have got this kind of brown rust around them that comes off into bits when I wipe with my finger. I don't think its RAM or Hard disk cos I tried each individual ram stick and tried two different hard disks and new graphics card too and new PSU so that just leaves the Motherboard :hmm: If I was good with soldering I would've done it.

Abz2000
12-16-2011, 01:10 AM
the capacitors have got this kind of brown rust around them that comes off into bits when I wipe with my finger.
that's the liquid dielectric in capacitors, which may be toxic................ :)

Abz2000
12-16-2011, 01:12 AM
there's always a chance to learn and it's useful.

that's the best video i came across when learning,
i used to struggle with soldering despite having an iron since i was a teenager.
used to wonder why it always stayed coarse and dull, well now i actually enjoy making led usb lights and things

Salahudeen
12-16-2011, 01:50 AM
that's the liquid dielectric in capacitors, which may be toxic................ :)
:hmm: oh no, how you supposed to get it off then?? and is that a sign the capacitors have gone?

جوري
12-16-2011, 03:17 AM
This thread appears to be a girl free zone.. I just came like the devil to make it slightly askew & take my leave..
well done carry on..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!