/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are there Muslims who believe that birth control is wrong?

truthseeker63
12-13-2011, 03:21 AM
My question is are there Muslims who believe that birth control is wrong like the Roman Catholics believe or did believe Im sure that there are Muslims who don't use birth control ? I have heard that Muslims can use the Coitus interruptus or the pull out method my question can a Married couple if they both agree pull out everytime they have sexual intercourse so they can't have children ever at all ? Also can Muslims only use birth control pills for health reasons ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coitus_interruptus

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
truthseeker63
12-13-2011, 03:26 AM
Does anyone know thanks.

syed1
12-13-2011, 03:48 AM
I am not giving an islamic view point but rather my own opinion ..

As far as I know birth control is wrong, for example, it is haram to use condoms which is to prevent diseases as well as to prevent unwanted pregnancy.. as a result I would think birth control in the form of pills etc to be haram as well..

in terms of the "pull out" method that you described I don't think there is anything wrong with it, after all, it wont guarantee that you not impregnate your partner and also one must acknowledge the fact that the women will not conceive with out God's command anyway

جوري
12-13-2011, 03:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syed1
it is haram to use condoms which is to prevent diseases as well as to prevent unwanted pregnancy..
Akhi pls evince what you say from Quran and Sunnah especially when using the term 'Haram'

Jazaka Allah khyran

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syed1
12-13-2011, 04:00 AM
wow, I am gravely mistaken. For some reason it was always my understanding that using condoms was haraam. for some reason I felt this was a wide known common fact.. but doing a quick google search It seems it is permissible...

Ali_008
12-13-2011, 04:09 AM
Birth control is allowed in Islam but only through natural means. Taking precautions via pills is not recommended because it brings about changes in the woman's body and affects her health. Condoms and coitus interruptus are allowed. Basically, if you use natural methods, it is allowed. However, it was 2 weeks ago when I heard this Hadeeth about contraception which concluded with the Prophet saying that no matter how much you try to avoid, when Allah wills to give birth to a life, He does it and you can't stop it by any means. I'll try to get the source for it, inshAllah.

جوري
12-13-2011, 04:12 AM
I am not advocating BCPs however, they can be useful to prevent certain diseases which I don't wish to get into for the depth of details required at this hour of the night, and also to cure or rather help normalize other diseases like PCO as an example. Not everyone on BCP is taking them to prevent pregnancy and they may help with certain things yet cause harm to other things so it is really a clinical decision that should be done with the best interest of the patient.

And Allah swt knows best

:w:

Ali Mujahidin
12-13-2011, 07:53 AM
The first question that comes to my mind is this:

How do we think we can practice birth control when the power of life and death is in the hand of Allah?

CosmicPathos
12-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Usage of OCPs for the purpose of preventing ovulation/birth control is different from their usages for POF, endometrial hyperplasia, mennorhagia etc etc etc.

Intrauterine devices actually stop pregnancy, not by preventing ovulation, but by letting the conceptus form and then disallowing it to implant. So in essence killing the conceptus. But of course most doctors do not explain this to patients.

As for condoms, I've read on Islamqa that they are allowed to be used by husbands and wives. No, I am not saying you can use condoms with your girl friend and avoid the label of committing zina.

On that note, I think every Muslim couple has the right to ask their partner before marriage to undergo all tests for STIs, starting from chlamydia to HIV. Tie the rope of the camel before putting trust in Allah. If you fear that by such 'strict' demands you will remain single for your life, so be it. Better safe than sorry by ending up in marriage with a nutcase with past hx.

Crystal
12-13-2011, 09:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali_008
I'll try to get the source for it, inshAllah.
I know what hadith you are talking about I read it about a week ago myself, it is definitely in al tirmidhi but I can't find it now also...it was about men who were ejaculating outside womens body because they didn't want to get them pregnant but the messenger said something like if Allah wills she will be..This is actually scientifically proven and they say condoms are 99% safe because there is always that small chance.

Ali_008
12-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Yeehaw, I got the reference: ;)

Go to the following page and look for Ahadeeth numbered 3371, 3373, 3376-3381, 3383, 3384, 3386, 3387, 3388, 3392 and 3393.

http://iknowledge.islamicnature.com/...slim/book/008/

All those Ahadeeth are from Saheeh Muslim.

format_quote Originally Posted by ßlµêßêll
I am not advocating BCPs however, they can be useful to prevent certain diseases which I don't wish to get into for the depth of details required at this hour of the night, and also to cure or rather help normalize other diseases like PCO as an example. Not everyone on BCP is taking them to prevent pregnancy and they may help with certain things yet cause harm to other things so it is really a clinical decision that should be done with the best interest of the patient.

And Allah swt knows best
Of course, you are a doctor and you'll know better about it then all of us. It becomes a different matter altogether if there's a medical condition involved. Even pills with alcohol become permissible in absence of alternatives.

tigerkhan
12-14-2011, 03:55 PM
as far as i know, it allowed but with limitations. eg u can use pull out method and some scholar say u cant use medcine.

ardianto
12-15-2011, 06:31 AM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by tigerkhan
as far as i know, it allowed but with limitations. eg u can use pull out method and some scholar say u cant use medcine.
Shaykh Yusuf Qardawi said "We cannot forbid something just because Salaf never did it". I agree with him.

So, if we hear some people say, birth control method except pull out (coitus interuptus) method is haram, we must ask them, why they forbid those other methods, if they say Rasulullah (saw) never said about other methods, we can deny their opinion. Many birth control methods in this modern days were not exist in the period of Salaf, but we cannot use it as a reason to forbid. But if those people say, those methods give bad effect or harm the body, we can accept their opinion because there are some daleel to forbid doing or using something that harm the body.

However, not all other methods of birth control harm the body, and haram. We can ask doctors in Muslim hospitals, which methods that permissible for Muslims. Yes, those doctors are not Ulama, but those doctor always seek advice from Ulama and follow what Ulama say.

format_quote Originally Posted by syed1
wow, I am gravely mistaken. For some reason it was always my understanding that using condoms was haraam. for some reason I felt this was a wide known common fact.. but doing a quick google search It seems it is permissible...
Ulama allow Muslim husbands use condom for right purpose, as birth control, and when do sexual relationship only with their wives. But Ulama prohibit the campaign that promote using condom as the way to prevent disease and unwanted pregnancy in free sex.

So, Ulama did not say condom (as a 'device') is haram, but they said using condom (as an action) for wrong purpose is haram.

CosmicPathos
12-15-2011, 06:36 AM
as have been said, some birth control methods are okay Islamically. Others such as intrauterine device kill the fertilized egg (similar to abortion). And that is surely not allowed in Islam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!