/* */

PDA

View Full Version : UK Is a Christian Country - says Prime Minister

Perseveranze
12-16-2011, 06:58 PM
David Cameron has said the UK is a Christian country "and we should not be afraid to say so".

In a speech in Oxford on the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible, the prime minister called for a revival of traditional Christian values to counter Britain's "moral collapse".

He said "live and let live" had too often become "do what you please".

The PM said it was wrong to suggest that standing up for Christianity was "somehow doing down other faiths".

Describing himself as a "committed" but only "vaguely practising" Christian, the PM admitted he was "full of doubts" about big theological issues.
'Don't do God'

But he staunchly defended the role of religion in politics and said the Bible in particular was crucial to British values.

"We are a Christian country and we should not be afraid to say so," he told the audience at Christ Church.

"Let me be clear: I am not in any way saying that to have another faith - or no faith - is somehow wrong.

"I know and fully respect that many people in this country do not have a religion.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

The tolerance that Christianity demands of our society provides greater space for other religious faiths too”

David Cameron

"And I am also incredibly proud that Britain is home to many different faith communities, who do so much to make our country stronger.

"But what I am saying is that the Bible has helped to give Britain a set of values and morals which make Britain what it is today."

Mr Cameron said people often argued that "politicians shouldn't 'do God'" - a reference to a comment famously made by former No 10 spin doctor Alistair Campbell when Tony Blair was asked about his religion.

"If by that they mean we shouldn't try to claim a direct line to God for one particular political party, they could not be more right," the PM said.

"But we shouldn't let our caution about that stand in the way of recognising both what our faith communities bring to our country, and also just how incredibly important faith is to so many people in Britain."

Mr Cameron also said it was "easier for people to believe and practise other faiths when Britain has confidence in its Christian identity".

"Many people tell me it is much easier to be Jewish or Muslim here in Britain than it is in a secular country like France," he said.

"Why? Because the tolerance that Christianity demands of our society provides greater space for other religious faiths too.

"And because many of the values of a Christian country are shared by people of all faiths and indeed by people of no faith at all."
This is funny

The tolerance that Christianity demands of our society provides greater space for other religious faiths too
Someone not been informed of history or religious scriptures :D

“…We may feel certain that if Western Christians, instead of the Saracens and the Turks, had won the dominion over Asia, there would be today not a trace left of the Greek Church, and that they would never have tolerated Muhammadanism as the 'infidels' have tolerated Christianity there. We (Christians) enjoy the fine advantage of being far better versed than others in the art of killing, bombarding and exterminating the Human Race." (Bayle P., Dictionary, 'the article Mahomed', 1850)

And trust me, I live in the UK and it's far from a "Christian country". Churches are empty and it's like more non-Christians celebrate Christmas than Christians do. lol

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
12-16-2011, 07:09 PM
I suppose some Christians might like Cameron's sentiments. The question is are those sentiments sincere or simply a politician telling people what he thinks they want to hear?

Aprender
12-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Wow. ;D

Marina-Aisha
12-16-2011, 08:28 PM
I live in the uk most people I speak too don't even believe in god, so I don't understand how we r a Christian country..and some Christians believe Jesus is god.. Like they don't even know the bible.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abz2000
12-16-2011, 11:11 PM
tis the season to be jolly................

........just wait till january's over, the secularity pushing will kick in soon.

remember the queen's speech where she said the king james bible had once united people, now it's going to be sports.

GuestFellow
12-16-2011, 11:20 PM
UK is a secular country IMO.

Crystal
12-16-2011, 11:30 PM
Lol, I have been to the UK so many times and its hardly Christian! People don't even practice their religion its just something they are born into and don't take notice of. Clearly Cameron doesn't know much about his own people - but is that a surprise - politicians are rarely in tune with the general public.

User29123
12-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Of course it is a Christian country so they should have their Christian values, by having gays and lesbians makes perfect sense to me.

Moham Ali
12-17-2011, 09:00 PM
Some of these comments are really stupid. The UK have been a Christian country since Henry the 8th created the Chruch of England. Religion and state are mixed in the UK because the head of state in the UK (the Queen) and head of the Church of England.

إحسان
12-17-2011, 09:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Moham Ali
Some of these comments are really stupid. The UK have been a Christian country since Henry the 8th created the Chruch of England. Religion and state are mixed in the UK because the head of state in the UK (the Queen) and head of the Church of England.
The comments here aren't stupid. We're aware that UK is said to be a Christian country. I'm British and have lived in England for thirteen years, since I was young and I can tell you that there are some people who don't even consider Christianity as part of their lives. Sure some believe in Jesus, but... they don't really hold Christian values etc. I'd say that there's quite a lot of agnostics and atheists actually. I've only come across one family (my neighbours) that are practicing Christians (goes to Church and stuff) and they're really sweet and open minded actually.

جوري
12-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Some of these comments are really stupid.
There are usually no stupid comments made, just the occasional stupid atheists trolling and there's certainly no shortage of them. Indoctrinated in the same cesspool and unleashed in numbers of two or three to stink up the place like the stool on a dung beetle's ass!

best,

Perseveranze
12-17-2011, 10:49 PM
Peace,

President of the National Secular Society, Terry Sanderson

"Mr Cameron's promotion of faith for other people when his own is so wishy-washy is typical of a politician who thinks religion is a useful means of social control. But you cannot force people to believe what they have reasoned to be untrue. Nor will they be convinced that religion is the only route to morality. The daily headlines from around the world have shown that religion can be a thousand times more destructive than any rioter in Tottenham.
"The British Social Attitudes Survey published last week showed that 65% of young people in Britain don't have a religion - and they aren't going to be forced to have one. The report ended with a warning to politicians that trying to use religion as a political tool would likely damage them at the ballot box. It seems the Prime Minister is going to learn that lesson the hard way."

Muezzin
12-18-2011, 12:37 AM
Off-topic posts deleted.

If you'd like a copy of your post because you put a lot of work into it etc, PM me and I can arrange it.

Abz2000
12-18-2011, 01:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
The report ended with a warning to politicians that trying to use religion as a political tool would likely damage them at the ballot box. It seems the Prime Minister is going to learn that lesson the hard way."
how, when they are only chiming in when it's christmas time and Jesus is more popular? all they're doing is trying to jump on the popularity bandwagon - knowing that they've trained many to think only as far back as the last time they got drunk.

Insaanah
12-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Whenever any politician goes to a gathering of a particular group of people, he will speak to their tune and tell them what they want to hear, as at the end of the day, it's about getting votes. So when speaking to Christians, Christian values are what keeps us going, when speaking to Muslims, praise for them etc.

However, I find the whole speech hypocritical.

The same governments that are lamenting the lack of Christianity, and trumpeting that Britain is a Christian country, are the ones that brought into being civil partnerships, the ones under which gay priests were allowed, the ones that gave those living together without being married the go ahead in terms of equal benefits to married couples, promoted sex for teenagers, etc etc.

I remember when I was little, and a presenter of a well-known children's TV programme got pregnant outside of marriage, it made the news, and living together before/without marriage while now the norm, at that time was still considered by many as living in sin.

If the future head of the Church of England has lived together with his girlfriend before marriage despite being a "committed Christian", then what's to say of everyone else?

At least Muslims by and large try to make their beliefs and actions consistent.

Also, the Guardian's report on his speech is quite telling regarding the context of the only mention of Islam in his speech:

Cameron told Church of England clergy gathered in Oxford that a return to Christian values could counter the country's "moral collapse" and blamed a "passive tolerance" of immoral behaviour for this summer's riots, Islamic extremism, City excess and Westminster scandals.
"Whether you look at the riots last summer, the financial crash and the expenses scandal, or the ongoing terrorist threat from Islamist extremists around the world, one thing is clear: moral neutrality or passive tolerance just isn't going to cut it anymore."
"The absence of any real accountability, or moral code, allowed some bankers and politicians to behave with scant regard for the rest of society. And when it comes to fighting violent extremism, the almost fearful passive tolerance of religious extremism that has allowed segregated communities to behave in ways that run completely counter to our values has not contained that extremism but allowed it to grow and prosper."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...le-anniversary

Abz2000
12-19-2011, 12:35 AM
scroll to 2 min 50 seconds:

protocol 13:

...In order to distract people who may be too troublesome from discussions of questions of the political we are now putting forward what we allege to be new questions of the political, namely, questions of industry. In this sphere let them discuss themselves silly! The masses are agreed to remain inactive, to take a rest from what they suppose to be political (which we trained them to in order to use them as a means of combating the GOY governments) only on condition of being found new employments, in which we are prescribing them something that looks like the same political object.
In order that the masses themselves may not guess what they are about WE FURTHER DISTRACT THEM WITH AMUSEMENTS, GAMES, PASTIMES, PASSIONS, PEOPLE'S PALACES .... SOON WE SHALL BEGIN THROUGH THE PRESS TO PROPOSE COMPETITIONS IN ART, IN SPORT IN ALL KINDS: these interests will finally distract their minds from questions in which we should find ourselves compelled to oppose them. Growing more and more unaccustomed to reflect and form any opinions of their own, people will begin to talk in the same tone as we because we alone shall be offering them new directions for thought ... of course through such persons as will not be suspected of solidarity with us.

IslamicRevival
12-19-2011, 01:12 AM
Getting hammered on a Friday night and committing fornication is the norm for most people in the UK, I dont call it a country instilled with 'christian' ideals Mr Cameron

Idiotic buffoon

جوري
12-19-2011, 01:28 AM
They'll never have this:

and it must be killing them..

I had a bad day today =( and just replied to a moron on youtube mocking 'Khalid ibn ilwaleed' of all people, saying Genghis achieved more.. which was actually funny and quite ironic if you think about it, what happened to the Mongols? a tiny place now filled with Muslims and 'Timur the lame' his grandson or great grandson also converted to Islam.. Guess Islam is the religion of conquered and conqueror alike but they prefer their head in the sand..

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!