/* */

PDA

View Full Version : World's shortest woman at 62.8 centimeters (24.7 inches)

islamica
12-18-2011, 12:13 AM
World's shortest woman wants to be Bollywood star

NAGPUR, India (AP) — A high school student in central India was recognized as the world's shortest woman by Guinness World Records on Friday as she turned 18 and said she hopes to earn a degree and make it in Bollywood.

Jyoti Amge stood just 62.8 centimeters (24.7 inches) tall — shorter than the average 2-year-old — when Guinness representatives visiting from London measured her at a ceremony attended by about 30 relatives and friends in the town of Nagpur, in Maharashtra state.

A teary-eyed Amge, dressed in one of her finest saris, called the honor an "extra birthday present" and said she felt grateful for being small, as it had brought her recognition. After receiving a plaque, she and her guests cut a birthday cake.

"I have put Nagpur on the world map. Now everyone will know where it is," said Amge, who says she dreams of one day becoming a Bollywood film star as well as pursuing a university degree after she finishes high school this year.

"I want to be an actor," she said.

She measured 7 centimeters (2.76 inches) shorter than 22-year-old American Bridgette Jordan, who had held the title since September.

"Jyoti encourages us all to look beyond mere size and to just celebrate our differences," Guinness adjudicator Rob Molloy said.

This was not Amge's first Guinness record. Until Friday she was considered the world's shortest teenager, but in turning 18 qualified for the new title. She has grown less than 1 centimeter (0.4 inch) in the last two years, Guinness said in a statement, and will grow no more due to a form of dwarfism called achondroplasia.

Her teenage title brought the chance for multiple Guinness-sponsored trips to Japan and Italy for tours and meetings with other record holders, she said.

The title of shortest woman in history continues to be held by Pauline Musters, who lived in the Netherlands from 1876 to 1895 and stood 61 centimeters (24 inches) tall.

(This version CORRECTS dateline to Nagpur instead of Agpur)

http://news.yahoo.com/worlds-shortes...105024752.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pygoscelis
12-18-2011, 10:30 PM
That would be a tough life. I'm impressed that she's doing so well for herself.

syed1
12-18-2011, 11:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
That would be a tough life. I'm impressed that she's doing so well for herself
if you think that is tough, check this out- conjoined twins..

to be honest, I did not even think this was possible, I still have trouble accepting it. I find it so strange but, wow, look at these 2 they are living very normal lives and seem quite happy than many others who are blessed ...

interesting fact- they have 2 hearts but 1 circulatory system.

Ghazalah
12-19-2011, 01:00 AM

SubhanAllah. How ungrateful we can be.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ramadhan
12-19-2011, 01:08 AM
Subahanallah!

These girls seem to be a lot more happier than many of us.
Reading these kind of articles/news make me realize how fortunate I am, and yet how petty I can be with my own problems.

Beardo
12-19-2011, 01:27 AM
Subhanallah. My problems seem so petty compared to theirs. Yet they live so happily, with such big smiles, masha-Allah!

syed1
12-19-2011, 01:42 AM
this might contradict my previous post but :

Why is it that we feel "better" after watching other people's struggles or difficulties? Why is it that after watching what someone else goes through we make it a reason to feel better about out selves? Others people's problems shouldn't be a cause for our happiness..

regardless of how much we watch these types of people like the shortest women or the conjoined twins or like josepeh merrick the elephant man we will still continue to have our own problems that are relevant to us. Whether these problems be pety or trivial compared to what other people are going through, it simply does not matter. At that moment whatever you are experiencing, it's as if the whole world is on your shoulder, and at that point no one elses misery will compensate for yours. Only when we are "normal" for example, right now while we are posting do we/can we say that after watching
format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo
Subhanallah. My problems seem so petty compared to theirs. Yet they live so happily, with such big smiles, masha-Allah!
but when we are actually experiencing the problem we would never recall them to make our selves feel better, or do we?

ah, I don't know why I'm ranting on about this I just feel as if everyone problem is relative to their own situation so please if you have a problem, whether its small or not, don't try to convince your self your okay or ever things is fine just cause other people have it worse of.. not its not fine, your hurt, the world is feeling like is going to crumble and there is nothing you can do about

Ghazalah
12-19-2011, 01:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syed1
Why is it that we feel "better" after watching other people's struggles or difficulties? Why is it that after watching what someone else goes through we make it a reason to feel better about out selves? Others people's problems shouldn't be a cause for our happiness..
Psychologically it's a wake up call, makes you take a step back and see how others are living. We are not always exposed to these kinds of people, so when we are it refreshes our minds and makes us realise how blessed we are. I don't know about you, but I don't feel 'better' or gain any kind of happiness. It makes me remember how blessed I am that Allah swt has enabled me to worship Him without any difficulties, yet we still find excuses. May Allah swt forgive us all for our short comings, ameen.

Pygoscelis
12-19-2011, 03:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syed1
if you think that is tough, check this out- conjoined twins..

to be honest, I did not even think this was possible, I still have trouble accepting it. I find it so strange but, wow, look at these 2 they are living very normal lives and seem quite happy than many others who are blessed ...

interesting fact- they have 2 hearts but 1 circulatory system.

For them to get married, will poligamy have to be legalized? Are they one legal person or two? Do they get to vote once per head or once per body? I'm also curious how the food they eat gets out of them. They have one stomach or two? Very interesting case this be.

islamica
12-19-2011, 03:14 AM
I"d be interested seeing an x-ray scan of their bodies to see how the internals are arranged.

syed1
12-19-2011, 03:17 AM
how would they pray ? what if one of them became muslims and the other did not? the real question is what if one dies before the other since they have 2 hearts...? would one be stuck walking around with a dead body or face in this matter?

Pygoscelis
12-19-2011, 05:01 AM
LOL Imagine one becomes a Muslim and the other an Atheist or a Jew.

syed1
12-22-2011, 02:16 PM
looks like the case of conjoined twins is becoming more prevalent:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16300314

ardianto
12-22-2011, 02:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
For them to get married, will poligamy have to be legalized?
No. A rule of polygamy, a man is not allowed to marry his wife's sister.

Pygoscelis
12-22-2011, 04:02 PM
LOL! Well then that pretty much leaves them lonely forever eh?

Galaxy
12-23-2011, 12:27 AM
^But they have each other forever. They seem so happy. Can we imagine sharing our body with our own twin?? How uncomfortable that would be?

Yeah and when one dies?:hmm:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!