/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Multicultural Office Kaafirs forcing Secret Santa on Muslims

anonymous
12-19-2011, 12:09 PM
They have asked us to waste atleast 100 bucks on a buying a gift for a random nobody as part of christmas celebration at office . The same 100 bucks could have been used to feed a poor personHow do I get myself out of this one without appearing as anti-social element ?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
12-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Assalamualaikum.

I give you two ideas.

1. Give that 100 bucks to poor people through your office with intention as sadaqah, not as a part of Christmas celebration.

2. Try to find a reason not to give money before or during Christmas celebration, and then you give this sadaqah after the Christmas celebration has over.

But remember, these ideas are not fatawa because I am not competent to issue a fatwa. You should ask your local Imam, which idea you can implement. Or if your local Imam has the third idea, you can follow his idea.

Muslim are allowed to give sadaqah to non-Muslims, and even Muslims who able to give sadaqah are obligated to give sadaqah to poor people around them, Muslims and non-Muslims(*). So, whatever alternative you take, you still have to give money to poor people around you. Not with intention to avoid you from anti-social mark because if you give sadaqah with 'not-sincere' intention like this, your sadaqah would not be 'accepted'.

(*) there are some fatawa that forbade Muslims give sadaqah to non-Muslims who fight Muslims/Islam. But I believe, poor non-Muslims people around you are non-Muslims who do not fight Muslims/Islam.

Dagless
12-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Technically you're not wasting 100 because I you'll get a gift back worth 100 therefore you are free to give whatever you want as charity.
If it is really bothering you that much you could donate 70 to charity under that persons name - they usually give you a card you can give to that person saying that it's been donated under their name. With the other 30 get a small gift for them.

anonymous
12-19-2011, 01:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Assalamualaikum.I give you two ideas.1. Give that 100 bucks to poor people through your office with intention as sadaqah, not as a part of Christmas celebration. 2. Try to find a reason not to give money before or during Christmas celebration, and then you give this sadaqah after the Christmas celebration has over.But remember, these ideas are not fatawa because I am not competent to issue a fatwa. You should ask your local Imam, which idea you can implement. Or if your local Imam has the third idea, you can follow his idea.Muslim are allowed to give sadaqah to non-Muslims, and even Muslims who able to give sadaqah are obligated to give sadaqah to poor people around them, Muslims and non-Muslims(*). So, whatever alternative you take, you still have to give money to poor people around you. Not with intention to avoid you from anti-social mark because if you give sadaqah with 'not-sincere' intention like this, your sadaqah would not be 'accepted'. (*) there are some fatawa that forbade Muslims give sadaqah to non-Muslims who fight Muslims/Islam. But I believe, poor non-Muslims people around you are non-Muslims who do not fight Muslims/Islam.
Sorry i made a mistake. i actually meant we have to buy the gift for one of those 50 persons working in my dept not a random nobody . The secret santa game is haram as it is related to christmas which muslims must not celebrate . This is how the game works : We have to pick a slip from a cap , a name of person would be written on it and you have to buy it for that person . In 2 days time , there will be ceremony at christmas tree where gifts would be handed over and if they find out i didnt buy it for the person whose name i picked up , i would get unnecessary attention from everyone and might be warned not be anti-social and isolated and it will not go down well with management . Please suggest me a method to get out of this predicament

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
12-19-2011, 01:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
Sorry i made a mistake. i actually meant we have to buy the gift for one of those 50 persons working in my dept not a random nobody . The secret santa game is haram as it is related to christmas which muslims must not celebrate . This is how the game works : We have to pick a slip from a cap , a name of person would be written on it and you have to buy it for that person . In 2 days time , there will be ceremony at christmas tree where gifts would be handed over and if they find out i didnt buy it for the person whose name i picked up , i would get unnecessary attention from everyone and might be warned not be anti-social and isolated and it will not go down well with management . Please suggest me a method to get out of this predicament
Hmm, hmm, yes, the secret santa is a part of Christmas celebration.

But how to avoid that game without get a bad mark as anti-social? I am sorry, I have no idea. But you can ask your local Imam or an Islamic teacher in your city, or at least Islamic teacher in another city in same country, because he know about about culture, people, and situation in your place.

Snowflake
12-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Do you have the courage to say, 'I'm sorry I don't do Christmas, and therefore can't take part in something I don't believe in'? I've heard Jehovah's witnesses say similar things and people just have to accept it, and a muslim is stronger than them. :)

جوري
12-19-2011, 07:17 PM
anti-social is a person who is a criminal which isn't what a person who wishes to not celebrate this sham of a holiday.Now, You can sponsor a child through that person's name pay the first $100 and then they'll have to terminate it which would look really bad or keep with it which would be good and in many ways would probably act as a deterrent from this 'secret Santa crap' but if anyone asks, tell them, I thought 'Christmas' was about giving the needy and good will toward man!

Make sure it is a Muslim child you're sponsoring of course..

:w:

anonymous
12-20-2011, 03:18 PM
anti-social is a person who is a criminal which isn't what a person who wishes to not celebrate this sham of a holiday.
Well call it socially awkward or isolated then
Now, You can sponsor a child through that person's name pay the first $100 and then they'll have to terminate it which would look really bad or keep with it which would be good and in many ways would probably act as a deterrent from this 'secret Santa crap' but if anyone asks, tell them,
By Sponsor , you meant donating 100$ to orphanage right. I am afriad The recipt paper cant be packed The instructions given by this secular manager is to buy a gift item for a colleague which would be unpacked and not to just give 100$ to a colleague . If i dont turn up with a gift, i would be viewed as isolated
I thought 'Christmas' was about giving the needy and good will toward man!Make sure it is a Muslim child you're sponsoring of course..
Most of them celebrating this arent christians and they just look at it as commercial affair like Thanksgiving , friendship day , valentine day etc and want to waste their money just to please their bosses. There are bosses pets

جوري
12-20-2011, 03:35 PM
By Sponsor , you meant donating 100$ to orphanage right.
Not really.. I meant something like this:
http://www.islamic-relief.com/NewsRo...sponsored.aspx
which is an ongoing thing ..
They get a pamphlet of their orphan and how they're helping etc. which can be wrapped with bow on top..
Not sure how to advise you otherwise other than being frank I don't celebrate this holiday I have no desire to give or receive a gift.. or what some do is bake food at home cookies, pies etc, wrap it well and give it as a gift.. that way you'll have fed one of those hungry kaffirs something other than bacon and not have wasted your hard earned money on BS..

CosmicPathos
12-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Well call it socially awkward or isolated thenBy Sponsor , you meant donating 100$ to orphanage right. I am afriad The recipt paper cant be packed The instructions given by this secular manager is to buy a gift item for a colleague which would be unpacked and not to just give 100$ to a colleague . If i dont turn up with a gift, i would be viewed as isolated Most of them celebrating this arent christians and they just look at it as commercial affair like Thanksgiving , friendship day , valentine day etc and want to waste their money just to please their bosses. There are bosses pets
you are already socially awkward for not committing zina with your partner. Or for not drinking socially. Or for hmm following medieval religion. Or 1000 other things. How come you are so afraid of how people label you? I guess you want ppl to think nice of you, at the expense of hiding who you really are.

Predator
12-20-2011, 03:59 PM
OP's question looks similar to one i found in questions and answers and he seems to be afraid of the ill feeling that arises . Well then , Best Option is Charity

Christians: Seasonal Gifts Offered For Christmas

I work in a European country, and in December the management of our company gives parcels to all employees to celebrate Christmas. These come
in a box and include sweets, food and some Christmas items. Should I decline to accept such a gift in order not to take part in the celebration of
Christmas?

If you decline to receive the gift, you put yourself in an unnecessarily difficult position with your employers. Your action will be taken as a sign of ill will, which iscertainly not entertained by you. No amount of explanation will remove the ill feeling that results from such a decline, because the Company is not asking you to celebrate Christmas. They are celebrating it by showing some goodwill to their staff. Besides ,they will not question you whether you use the gift on Christmas day or on some other day.

You can easily take the gift and donate it to a charity or give the food to some poor person. In this way, you put the gift to a good use, without offending your employer or putting yourself in a difficult position. [What would be your reaction if the Company were to hand you a cheque as a Christmas gift?]

Ramadhan
12-21-2011, 03:35 AM
Most of them celebrating this arent christians and they just look at it as commercial affair like Thanksgiving , friendship day , valentine day etc and want to waste their money just to please their bosses. There are bosses pets
ah, then make intention to give gifts ("hadiah") to your work colleague. Giving gifts ("hadiah") is allowed in islam, even to non-muslims.

syilla
12-21-2011, 08:46 AM
you can always buy cheap things for the presents. (its a secret btw am i right) and balance for donation heeee...

or you can buy a donation voucher and put his/her name under it.

Ramadhan
12-21-2011, 09:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
you can always buy cheap things for the presents. (its a secret btw am i right) and balance for donation heeee...
I have participated in this kind of gifts exchange and we had to attach the receipt to ensure everyone spent the minimum amount.

format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
or you can buy a donation voucher and put his/her name under it.
This is a great idea, although the recipient of the gift may not like it, and thinks you are weird. But hey.. you can never please anyone :)

Tyrion
12-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Honestly, it's not a big deal. It's not like they're making you give gifts in the name of Christ or something.

Ali_008
12-22-2011, 02:09 AM
Tell them you're a fundamentalist to the letter and don't believe in innovations and hence don't believe in Santa either. Tell them Christmas isn't the birth of Christ at all. It is an innovation of paganism as it is believed that Christ was born sometime in the fall and the date 25th December was actually adapted only because it coincides with the winter solstice. Tell them you were flabbergasted the day you came to know about it and have decided it since then to make it the mission of your life to spread it to as many people in the world as possible and never celebrate 25th December as Christmas again. According to Wikipedia itself, there is no historical evidence for the exact day or month of the birth of Jesus.

Such intense details will only make them question their own faith. And they "might" let you pull yourself out of all this.

Tyrion
12-22-2011, 02:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali_008
Tell them you're a fundamentalist to the letter and don't believe in innovations and hence don't believe in Santa either. Tell them Christmas isn't the birth of Christ at all. It is an innovation of paganism as it is believed that Christ was born sometime in the fall and the date 25th December was actually adapted only because it coincides with the winter solstice. Tell them you were flabbergasted the day you came to know about it and have decided it since then to make it the mission of your life to spread it to as many people in the world as possible and never celebrate 25th December as Christmas again. According to Wikipedia itself, there is no historical evidence for the exact day or month of the birth of Jesus.

Such intense details will only make them question their own faith. And they "might" let you pull yourself out of all this.
Err, yeah. Whatever you do, don't do this...

Ali_008
12-22-2011, 04:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion

Err, yeah. Whatever you do, don't do this...
Lol, I know it is quite annoying and will raise unthinkable number of eyebrows but it is the truth anyhow.

Tyrion
12-22-2011, 05:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali_008
Lol, I know it is quite annoying and will raise unthinkable number of eyebrows but it is the truth anyhow.
Yeah, but that doesn't mean it's polite or appropriate. :p:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!