/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Please Explain Eid To A New Muslim Also...

OriginalSonnet
12-19-2011, 08:29 PM
Salaam

I am a revert always hearing of Eid and Ramadan.

I know what Ramadan is but I am not sure what Eid is.

I know there is a sacrifice of a Cow involved.

Can someone please tell me of all of the events Muslims celebrate
besides Ramadan throughout the course of a year.

Thank You

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
12-21-2011, 08:07 AM
Assalamualaikum, sister.

There are two Eid

Eid-ul Adha : http://www.quranreading.com/blog/isl...f-dhul-hijjah/

Eid-ul Fitr : http://www.islamicity.com/ramadan/ei...ive=geo2_based

aadil77
12-21-2011, 08:25 AM
Besides Eid we have other special days during the year where fasting is recommended, such as the day prophet Musa was saved from pharoah

syilla
12-21-2011, 09:06 AM
eid is a celebration day after a month of fasting :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Marina-Aisha
12-22-2011, 12:14 AM
I know there is story Behind wot eid is all bout, but yea it's celebrating when u have fasted after ramadan. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Signor
12-24-2011, 04:53 PM
^ What you are referring to is called Eid-ul-Fitar

Signor
12-24-2011, 04:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Besides Eid we have other special days during the year where fasting is recommended, such as the day prophet Musa was saved from pharoah
Bro,i can't understand your point,what do you mean?Can you provide any hadith or ayat relating to this?

Thanks

marwen
12-24-2011, 07:11 PM
^ Bro Aadil is talking about blessed days of the year, in most of them voluntary fasting is recommended (reward is bigger in these days). Like day of Arafah, and Day of Aashura'.

The following is not realted to Eid but could benefit inshaAllah :

Voluntary Fasting according to Sunnah:

1 - Six days of Shawwaal

Abu Ayyoob (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever fasts Ramadaan and follows it with six days of Shawwaal, it will be as if he fasted for a lifetime.” (Narrated by Muslim, Abu Dawood, al-Tirmidhi, al-Nisaa’i and Ibn Maajah)

2 - First Nine days of Dhul-Hijjah (Especially 9th of Dul-Hijjah, Day of Arafah)
It was narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are no days on which righteous deeds are more beloved to Allaah than these ten days.” They said: “Not even jihad for the sake of Allaah?” He said: “Not even jihad for the sake of Allaah, unless a man goes out himself for jihad taking his wealth with him and does not come back with anything.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2/457
----------------------
when the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) was asked about the fasting on the day of Arafat, he said: “It expiates the sins of the previous year and that of the following year.” [Saheeh Muslim]

3 - Fasting The Day of Ashura
Ibn Abbas related : When the Prophet Muhammad (Blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) came to Madinah, he found (the Jews) fasting on the day of 'Ashura' (i.e. 10th of Muharram). They used to say: 'This is a great day on which Allah saved Moses and drowned the folk of Pharoah. Moses observed the fast on that day as a sign of gratitude to Allah. The Prophet Muhammad (Blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: "I am closer to Moses than them". So, he observed the fast (on this day) and ordered the Muslim to fast on it". [al-Bukhari and Muslim]
-----------------------
Imam Muslim narrated from Ibn Abbas, he said: "When the Messenger of Allah (Blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) fasted on the day of Ashura and commanded that it should be observed as a fast, they (his Companions) said to him: Messenger of Allah, it is a day which the Jews and Christians hold in high esteem. Thereupon, the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: When the next year comes, God willing, we would observe fast on the 9th . But the Messenger of Allah (Blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) died before the advent of the next year".

4 - Fasting Mondays and Thursdays
Abu Hurairah reported that the most the Prophet would fast would be Monday and Thursday. He was asked about that and he said: "The actions are presented on every Monday and Thursday. Allah forgives every Muslim or every believer, except for those who are boycotting each other. He says [about them]: 'Leave them.' " This is related by Ahmad with a sahih chain. It is recorded in Sahih Muslim that the Prophet, when asked about fasting on Monday, said: "That is the day on which I was born and the day on which I received revelations."

5 - Fasting most of the month of Sha'ban (the month preceding Ramadan)
The Prophet would fast most of the month of Sha'ban. 'Aishah said: "I never saw the Messenger of Allah fast a complete month save for Ramadan, and I have never seen him fast more in a month than he did in Sha'ban." This is related by al-Bukhari and Muslim.

6 - Fasting three days of every month
Abu Zharr al-Ghafari reported: "The Messenger of Allah ordered us to fast for three days of every month--that is, on the days of the full moon (the 13th, 14th, and 15th of the lunar month). And he said: 'It is like fasting the whole year.' " This is related by an-Nasa'i and by Ibn Hibban, who called it sahih.

7 - Fasting one day and not fasting the next
Abu Salama ibn 'Abdurrahman reported from 'Abdullah ibn 'Amr that the Prophet, upon whom be peace, said to him: 'I have been informed that you stay up in prayer during the night and fast during the day. 'Abdullah answered: "Yes, O Messenger of Allah." The Prophet said: "Fast and do not fast, pray and sleep, for your body, your wife, and your guests have a right upon you. It is sufficient for you to fast three days a month." 'Abdullah said: "I wanted to be stricter on myself and I said: "O Messenger of Allah, I have the strength to do more." The Prophet said: "Then fast three days a week." 'Abdullah said: "I have the strength to do more!" The Prophet said: "Fast the fast of the Prophet David and do not do more than that!" 'Abdullah inquired: "And what was the fast of David?" The Prophet replied: "He would fast one day and then not fast the next." This is recorded by Ahmad and others.

Marina-Aisha
12-27-2011, 04:00 PM
he festival of Eid- ul- Adha is celebrated in the remembrance of prophet Abraham’s readiness to forfeit Ishmael,

his son for god. The story about this festival tells, how Abraham was ready to kill his son and remained true to God. The story tells, how Allah told Abraham, to lift up the foundation of Kaaba that was a holy place in Mecca.God also asked Abraham to sacrifice his son, in a dream. Abraham along with his son started moving towards Mina for the sacrifice.

Some of the daemons tried to direct Abraham away from his way but Abraham was true to god and as he was just set to kill his son, God stopped him and gave him a sheep to sacrifice instead of sacrificing his son. This festival is thereby said to be a festival of sacrifice. Some people celebrate Eid- ul- Adha because it ends the pilgrimage or Hajj for those Muslims who make a trip to Mecca each year.
Just like Eid- ul- Fitr, Eid- ul - Adha also commences with a small prayer followed by Khutba. The delivery of this Khutba is done from Mount Arafat in Mecca. It is assumed that Eid- ul- Adha should last for three days but some of the Islamic traditions think that Eid- ul- Fitr last for three days and Eid- ul- Adha last for four days.

http://www.theeid.com/history-of-eid-ul-adha/index.html (lots info bout it)

hope that helps you :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!