/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sesame Street arrives in Lahore to brainwash kids

islamica
12-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Puppet power as Sesame Street arrives in Lahore

By Orla Guerin BBC News, Lahore

Programme-makers say they hope Sesame Street will inspire Pakistani children

In the fight against extremism in nuclear-armed Pakistan, the United States is deploying a new weapon - Elmo. (under the guise of "innocent" child show)

The lovable red monster is about to hit TV screens here in a locally produced version of one of America's most potent exports - Sesame Street. There are local productions in 20 countries, from China to Palestine.

The Pakistani programme, Sim Sim Hamara, has not come cheap.

The United States Agency for International Development, USAID, has committed $10m (7.4m euros, £6.3m) to the four-year project. The final figure could be twice that. It is a major investment in a troubled nation, where the only education on offer for some is in radical madrassas.

The US government is hoping that as well as providing basic literacy and numeracy skills, the programme will teach lessons in tolerance, and mutual respect.

On set in Lahore, the producers, the Rafi Peer Theatre Workshop, insisted that while Washington funded the series, it did not write the script.

Pig-tailed puppet

The finance came with no strings attached, according to Faizan Peerzada, the theatre group's chief executive officer.

"I think I really respect the American taxpayer that at this critical time they have invested this money for the children of Pakistan, and without any prerequisites," he said.
RANI THE PUPPET

Rani is a six-year-old on a quest for knowledge, with a magnifying glass at the ready.

This farmer's daughter with flowers in her hair has a love of nature and a garden of her own.

She is sporty, and fond of Pakistani traditional music but her defining characteristic is her hungry mind.

She has an endless supply of questions, according to Yamina Peerzada, the puppeteer who plays her.

"She's this over-enthusiastic child, who always wants to know everything. She's out-there, and confident."

Rani's creators say she is over-enthusiastic, and unstoppable, deliberately so.

"She's very much at the top of things," says the show's head writer Imran Peerzada.

"We wanted to show her taking the lead." (feminist making alert!)

"The only requisite is to make a beautiful programme, so our children can get inspired."

Elmo's new home is a Pakistani village, complete with tea-stall and shady Banyan tree. Big Bird has not made the journey, so he is surrounded by new friends. There is Baily the donkey - who wants to be a pop star - and a vain crocodile called Haseen O'Jameel, who dwells at the bottom of a well.

The star of the show is Rani, a pig-tailed puppet, who is cricket-mad, energetic and curious.

The creators hope this strong female lead will send a message to the next generation in this conservative society - especially the girls.

"A lot of girls here are shy," says Yamina Peerzada, the animated young actress who is voice of Rani.

"Maybe seeing Rani - that's she's really strong-headed, and she's the captain of the cricket team and she's not afraid to ask questions - I'm hoping the children will relate to that, and kind of take some courage, and just love her for that."

For answers to her many questions, Rani often turns to a human playmate Kiran, the daughter of the village schoolteacher. Saleha Majeed, the 12-year-old who plays Kiran, says the puppets are like family.

"I feel like they are my younger brothers and sisters, 'cos I am telling them a lot of stuff, and they are learning from me."
She thinks the show's young viewers will learn a lot too - more than if they go to school.

Many Pakistani children never get inside a classroom. One third of primary school-age children in the country are not in class and so this programme may be their only teacher.
"This is not building a school," says Faizan Peerzada, "this is reaching them with a school. It will be an informal, joyful learning process."

The aim is to reach children across Pakistan. The ABC will be in Urdu and the languages of Pakistan's provinces, which will have their own episodes. The cast includes characters with different skin tones - light and dark - to reflect regional diversity.

Colourful window

The programme will also include holidays marked by different religions - a display of mutual respect in a country where minority religions often come under attack.
But the content will be tailored to the target audience, of four- to eight-year-olds.

Elmo is one of the cast of characters in the Pakistani edition - but not Big Bird

"The child has to share a piece of bread with the other, and he has to play with the same toy," said Faizan Peerzada. "That's the tolerance we are talking about, and that tolerance will lead to all levels of tolerance."

The show is a collaboration with the founders of Sesame Street, the US Sesame Workshop. But they stress their involvement was limited to advice and support.

"This is a project being created by Pakistani people, for Pakistani children," said Charlotte Cole, of the Sesame Workshop. "Our hope is that it will be seen as a gift to children, something that is Pakistan's own."

The programme - and its American funding - may not go down well with everyone here - many Pakistanis see the US as an enemy, rather than an ally.

The makers of Sim Sim Hamara know the risks of angering the militants. They learnt that in 2008, when there were three bombs in one day at one of their events.

There was no loss of life, and the show went on the next day.

"The biggest Jihad is to be a good human being," said Faizan Peerzada, "to think of your neighbours, and to work for the progress of your community."

He believes that is a lesson the programme can instil in the young minds of Pakistan.

"This is a colourful window that will open to our children," he said "and they deserve it. I'm very hopeful that something as innocent as this should not be targeted."

"We are not receiving threats," he said "at this point in time."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16078217

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Haya emaan
12-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Pakistani media is already working on the US lines.. this is just an addition to it...

when i first watched it i thought it was some "innocent" show for children but then found out that it was actually the project of USAID

according to my observation Pakistani children are not interested in such shows instead they love to watch cartoon network and Pogo(i guess that's the name of that Indian channel) so why do US needs to WASTE a lot of money to brain wash as they are already being so...

Muezzin
12-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Guys, tell me you're not afraid of a bunch of Muppets.

CosmicPathos
12-24-2011, 04:46 PM
^^ you seem to be quite irrational. You clearly do not understand how childhood psychology works.

OP: I am afraid that sesame street will also promote gay and lesbian liberties and rights. Probably ahmadiyya issue will also appear in it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
12-24-2011, 04:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by CosmicPathos
^^ you seem to be quite irrational. You clearly do not understand how childhood psychology works.
If people are that worried, it isn't only the television they should be worried about. Sesame Street has a YouTube channel.

I don't see people in a hurry to get rid of their Internet connections.

Darth Ultor
12-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Better than Mickey Mouse teaching Palestinian kids about armed Jihad.

Signor
12-24-2011, 05:11 PM
There is already media indoctrination of Godlessness on public in Pakistan.This is another step to the progress.While there is also "USAID" funding on entire media,they can use it openly.

crimsontide06
12-24-2011, 06:17 PM
I heard there are going to be HIV positive, gay/lesbian Muppetts...Please tell me that's not true.... :hmm:

Beardo
12-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Wow. These news stories are so entertaining. I love how there is a Pakistani puppet girl in the picture, LOL! Foreign editions, especially desi ones, of American shows just crack me up.

But yeah. So much propaganda. o.o

Muezzin
12-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Serious question. If Sesame Street is considered propaganda, why not show kids an Islamic alternative? Like Adam's World.

GuestFellow
12-24-2011, 08:29 PM
"A lot of girls here are shy," says Yamina Peerzada, the animated young actress who is voice of Rani.
Yeah because all shy people need to be loud and obnoxious....ugh I think I'm going to vomit all over my laptop screen from reading this article.

Roasted Cashew
12-27-2011, 06:00 PM
It's amazing how Muslims now-a-days are so paranoid...It's just an innocent children show..and it will definitely be adopted to meet the demands of Pakistani children and society so I don't think gay issues will be brought up in the show..And this just adds to the list of already so many American cartoon channels...so nothing new here. Let kids have some fun and enjoy some cartoons. :embarrass

Roasted Cashew
12-27-2011, 06:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Guys, tell me you're not afraid of a bunch of Muppets.
Apparently they are..Paranoid much....?

islamica
12-27-2011, 08:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Roasted Cashew
It's amazing how Muslims now-a-days are so paranoid...It's just an innocent children show..and it will definitely be adopted to meet the demands of Pakistani children and society so I don't think gay issues will be brought up in the show..And this just adds to the list of already so many American cartoon channels...so nothing new here. Let kids have some fun and enjoy some cartoons. :embarrass
Apparently you are not aware of the type of sophisticated propaganda that goes behind all of this.

Roasted Cashew
12-28-2011, 12:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamica
Apparently you are not aware of the type of sophisticated propaganda that goes behind all of this.
yea, I wonder what sophisticated propaganda is behind Cartoon Network which I watched growing up? It clearly didn't shape my mind on any worldly issues or affairs...I just happened to learn a thing or two about western culture though(things like Christmas celebration, etc) and had a very fun childhood. Please stop thinking so much and relax. Not everything the west does is a propaganda against Islam. I am sure they have better things to do too.

Darth Ultor
12-28-2011, 01:47 AM
Oh don't you know? Daffy Duck represents Islam and Bugs Bunny is the imperialist American.

Roasted Cashew
12-28-2011, 01:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultor
Oh don't you know? Daffy Duck represents Islam and Bugs Bunny is the imperialist American.
Hehe :D

syilla
12-28-2011, 09:21 AM
i think paranoid happened to most of the muslims country especially when theres lack of education and knowledge.

Same goes to Malaysian..but nowadays theres a bit of improvement they are getting more level headed.
Political is also the same but people are getting wiser not being to get too much paranoid to propaganda and etc.

islamica
12-29-2011, 01:42 AM
Some times it's paranoia and conspiracies theories and some times it's the Truth and those who are ignorant of it call it as paranoia and conspiracy theories.

Maryan0
12-29-2011, 03:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Serious question. If Sesame Street is considered propaganda, why not show kids an Islamic alternative? Like Adam's World.
I loved watching Adams World as a kid.
Salam

ابن آل مرة
12-29-2011, 04:27 AM
Better than Mickey Mouse teaching Palestinian kids about armed Jihad.
For a sec, I thought this was coming from a Muslim, but then saw your Interfaith crap signature. Phew!

I rather have my kids learn about armed Jihad when being occupied than have some half-naked "celebrities" such as Katy Perry and such teaching them 1,2,3.

This is nothing new, Americans trying to shove down the "American dream" in other nations throat.

Darth Ultor
12-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Cool story bro.

Afifa
12-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Aslaam 'Alaykum

End of the day the parents should be controlling what thier children watch. If no one watches it it's not going to be on television for long. If kids want to watch cartoons fair enough..there are lot of islamic cartoons available for them nowadays.

ابن آل مرة
12-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Cool story bro.
Glad you liked it. It's the least I could do for you mate.

Samiun
12-29-2011, 04:08 PM
:sl: cmon guys what's wrong with sesame street.

Elmo is k3wl

Ramadhan
12-29-2011, 10:51 PM
This thread is going off tangent already and discussions about whether Elmo beats Donald Duck can be better served in the brothers... err... gender sections.
And with that, this thread is closed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!