/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How do you revise?

Banu_Hashim
12-21-2011, 11:27 AM
OK, so with exams coming up for many of us (myself included) I want to know; how do you revise? What techniques have worked for you? Where's the best place to revise? Share your secrets below!

Attachment 4488

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
marwen
12-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Some ideas from school days :

- make little summaries : write on small sheets of paper the key definitions of each course, the formulas, the main points, etc.

- try to hierarchise/subdivide every chapter into sub-sections, and then each section into sub-components or sub-titles. We can digest things faster when we get a structured and subdivided information.

- if you have to memorize a definition or a paragraph, try to write it down one or 2 times. When you write something down, you have more chances to memorize it and write it again in the exam.

- be optimistic and don't let yourself under pressure or bad mood.

- make a realistic schedule : if you are only able to make 2 hours of revision daily, then don't make a planning of 3 or 4 hours a day : a few time with optimum concentration and organized work is better than many hours without concentration.

- make you own methods of revision that are more suitable for your time and your habits.

- make dua.

GuestFellow
12-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Salaam,

I would re-write the entire textbook and get rid of unnecessary information. For example, my contract law book was approx 500 pages. I managed to reduce this to 50 pages. The note format would be like this:

format_quote Originally Posted by Example
CIVIL LITIGATION

INTRODUCTION (chapter title)

1. Litigation involves resolving disputes through the courts.

ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION1. Negotiation...

1.1 Part 36 offers...

2. Mediation

Bla bla bla
I like to number my points. It helps me to remember. Try not to repeat the same information and keep it as simple as possible. I find it helpful to write in full sentences, especially if you are going to be writing an essay. I know people write their notes but not in full sentences. As a result, they understand what they have to do, but have a hard time putting their thoughts on to paper. Along with notes, I would have a copy of exam papers, the answers and the syllabus.

If your studying maths, you really need practice questions and exam papers.

Ghazalah
12-21-2011, 07:38 PM
I used to grab anyone who was walking past my door at the time, plomp them on the chair and make them listen to me as I taught them what I had just learnt. Worked wonders for me :statisfie teaching is the best way to understand and remember something.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sis muslimah
01-07-2012, 01:13 AM
write notes

sumarise them and write it down

explain whatever you have learnt to someone else

do qs for every topic that you revise

and all the past papers you can find :)

for stuff that you have to memorise u hve to just sit down and learn them and get someone to test you the next day or so to see how much you can remember :)

Samiun
01-07-2012, 02:45 AM
:sl: I'm studying in high school and got really bad results last year. With Allah's guidance, a book was on sale last december entitled 'Straight As Students'. I bought it and started to read after the holidays.He got 10Aones in his public exam which is like the highest grade for each subject(You have to get around 90-100%). He told the reader to..

1.Read the chapter that your teacher wants to discuss the next day

2.Listen attentively in class and ask questions if you don't know!

3.Lastly, do your homework and use step 1 again

~Zaria~
01-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Assalamu-alikum,

Some really good advices here, Alhamdulillah. :)

Few pointers from myself:

- I dont think the importance of making summaries can be stressed enough.
--> and this becomes even more relevant during varsity years, where the one of the biggest factors is getting through the volume of notes.

I know of people who are able to study straight out of a text-book (wish I was one of those imsad)......but realistically - its a much easier task to revise through 50 pages than 500 pages, as illustrated above.
Importantly: summarising needs to begin early.....its just not possible to do this, a few days/ weeks before the exam, and still have time to study it.

Secondly:
Repetition.
Our mind only holds that which it considers beneficial/ of importance.
So, if something hasnt been read/ revised in a while......it is very soon forgotten.
You may be able to remember the topic generally, but the details are lost very very easily.

Often, students look at their teachers/ lecturers and wonder: How does he manage to remember all of this?
--> Well, consider how many times he revises his knowledge - in the form of teaching others.

Which brings me to the third point:

Teach others!
And you will be learning as well!......How cool is that? :)
The more you speak about something, and explain it in your own words - the more likely it is, for that piece of information to be remembered.

- Work through past papers.
Often, questions/ topics are repeated (dont we love when this happens ;D ).
It also gives you the chance to see where your weaknesses lie, and practise to answer the given paper within the time allocated.

- Work with friends.
--> This does not always work well.
It depends on your own personality, your style of studying and your friends.
Personally, im pretty much of a loner......so, I preferred to study myself.
However - it does indeed make a huge difference to discuss past papers, problem topics, etc. with others - at least a few weeks before the exams (when everyone has already done a reasonable amount of work themselves).

And finally:

Make DUAA.

At the end of the day - everything lies in the qoedrat of Allah (subhana wata'ala).
We need to put the effort......but also realise that nothing is achieved without the mercy of Allah upon us.
SubhanAllah.

All the best!.....And dont stress! :)

May Allah guide those striving to seek beneficial knowledge, for His pleasure, and make this road easy for them. Ameen.

Salaam

syilla
01-07-2012, 10:12 AM
for me summaries from the text book are only effective if we had studied it all through not last minute revision.

The best is to study your own notes while in the class and add few other notes from the text book.

sis muslimah
01-07-2012, 04:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
Work with friends.
--> This does not always work well.
It depends on your own personality, your style of studying and your friends.
Personally, im pretty much of a loner......so, I preferred to study myself.
me 2 :) if im with friends than i get distracted hehe but i do ask if i dont get anything qs etc :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!