/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New Criminal Tactics

~Zaria~
12-26-2011, 05:56 PM

Assalamu-alaikum all,

I have recently come across a somwhat new type of card-fraud occuring in my country, called 'Card Skimming'.

Basically, criminals are able to copy information on the black magnetic strip of your card and use that information to steal money from your account.
The device used to copy information in this manner is called a skimming device which can either be hand held or be mounted to ATM’s.

Which means that the cashier/ waiter/ fuel attendant can swipe your card through a small, concealed hand-held device to copy and store the account data.....which is later downloaded and encoded on a counterfeit card or re-encoded on a lost/stolen card.

Return to your account.....only to find that it has been wiped out! :omg:

I unfortunately cannot post a link as yet (still a newbie :hiding:)......

I was just wondering if this is occuring in other parts of the world as well, and any solutions?

Salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Jedi_Mindset
12-26-2011, 07:44 PM
This is normal here in Europe, especially done by mafias from east-europe. And turkey. The gov, even needed to change the ATM's here lol.

~Zaria~
12-27-2011, 08:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Mindset
This is normal here in Europe, especially done by mafias from east-europe. And turkey. The gov, even needed to change the ATM's here lol.
Wow, really?
This seems to be new here.....its making head-lines every few weeks now.....

I think if you know what you are looking for - it would be easy to recognise the device attached to an atm.

The scary scenario is the hand-held devices - that are small enough to be concealed in someones palm......I think, maybe as far possible, insist on swiping your own card at the cashier, etc.

What dont these criminals think of......?

:hmm:

syilla
12-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Are you islamic card or is it atm card?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
12-27-2011, 02:53 PM
This was a problem in the UK a few years ago, so they introduced the chip and PIN system, where rather than simply swiping the magnetic strip and requiring the customer to sign the receipt when paying for goods, the machine scans the chip on the card and the customer has to enter their PIN.

With the advances of smartphone technology, they're now looking to have contactless payment - you just scan your phone's screen at the till. That doesn't seem very secure though...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!