/* */

PDA

View Full Version : RIBA- major problem

anonymous
12-30-2011, 08:15 PM
salam,

I will cut to the main points:

My parents are in copious amounts of debt, personal debt from family and relatives as well as from interest bearing loans of which our family struggles to make the payments.

I have 2 brothers and 1 sister whom hold credit card and my parents have had to result to them out of necessasity and as of right now they are maxed out and my brother and sister are working retail jobs to pay them of.

Mashallah, My eldest brother is working a very well paying job in the states and he is doing all he can to assist us in our financial woes.

Now the problem is, I have always been a bit reluctant to lend over my credit card to my dad because I know the situation and poor credit score my other brother/sister now have because of them letting him use it. I do not want the same thing for my credit cards to be maxed out and then spend the next several years paying it of WITH INTEREST. I am only in college and am not working so it is not beffiting for me to take on such large amounts of debt.

Now, today my dad asked me to increase my credit limit and I know where he is going with this- he going to ask me to lend it to him- and for what purpose you ask? For personal pleasure/luxory. My Dad's sister son is getting married in pakistan this coming summer and flight tickets are quite expensive (in the thousands/ per person) and we are a big family.

Although, we have not visited pakistan for a long time and seen all our relatives (for over 14 years) I do not see the benefit of taking on MORE debt than we already and paying INTEREST upon Interest on these loans just to go see our family in Pakistan.

This is called living beyond our means and I am sure this is not what Allah would want, to live luxuriously in a big house and big family and goign to see our family in pakistan but all by means of HARAM Interest BEARING loans!

What is the best advice in this case? My dad has been telling me - LOOK beta, how your brothers and sister are so open about there financial situation and willing to give up there credit cards, and he says since I don't I am being neglectful or a bad son...

I know the consequences and why would I want to go down that path? Is this really being disrespectful if I don't fulfill my dads wishes. ie. to pass over my credit cards to him?

What is the best advice, how can I tell my dad its wrong or show him that I do not want to bear this loans under my name solely due to the interest factor and that it is haram, no other reason.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
anonymous
01-13-2012, 07:34 PM
I hope sister that you can finish up loan and not add anymore,.. credit card etc they are all riba
and Allah does not bless that way

if you have land or golds sell it all to close all the debts

debts will not end with another debt

regards
anonymous advisor

Snowflake
01-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Allah has made riba haram, and disobeying parents who call you to disobey Allah, halal.

The Noble Qur'an - Al-Baqarah 275-281 275. Those who eat Ribâ (usury) will not stand (on the Day of Resurrection) except like the standing of a person beaten by Shaitân (Satan) leading him to insanity. That is because they say: "Trading is only like Ribâ (usury)," whereas Allâh has permitted trading and forbidden Ribâ (usury). So whosoever receives an admonition from his Lord and stops eating Ribâ (usury) shall not be punished for the past; his case is for Allâh (to judge); but whoever returns [to Ribâ (usury)], such are the dwellers of the Fire - they will abide therein.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no obedience if it involves disobedience towards Allaah, rather obedience is only in matters that are right and proper.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6830; Muslim, 1840

Gently and respectfully explain to your father Allah's commands and if it angers him, bear it with patience insha Allah.

99. Surah Al-Zalzalah (The Earthquake)

1. When the earth is shaken with its (final) earthquake.
2. And when the earth throws out its burdens,
3. And man will say: "What is the matter with it?"
4. That Day it will declare its information (about all what happened over it of good or evil).
5. Because your Lord has inspired it.
6. That Day mankind will proceed in scattered groups that they may be shown their deeds.
7. So whosoever does good equal to the weight of an atom (or a small ant), shall see it.

8. And whosoever does evil equal to the weight of an atom (or a small ant), shall see it.

Hamza Asadullah
01-16-2012, 12:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
salam,

I will cut to the main points:

My parents are in copious amounts of debt, personal debt from family and relatives as well as from interest bearing loans of which our family struggles to make the payments.

I have 2 brothers and 1 sister whom hold credit card and my parents have had to result to them out of necessasity and as of right now they are maxed out and my brother and sister are working retail jobs to pay them of.

Mashallah, My eldest brother is working a very well paying job in the states and he is doing all he can to assist us in our financial woes.

Now the problem is, I have always been a bit reluctant to lend over my credit card to my dad because I know the situation and poor credit score my other brother/sister now have because of them letting him use it. I do not want the same thing for my credit cards to be maxed out and then spend the next several years paying it of WITH INTEREST. I am only in college and am not working so it is not beffiting for me to take on such large amounts of debt.

Now, today my dad asked me to increase my credit limit and I know where he is going with this- he going to ask me to lend it to him- and for what purpose you ask? For personal pleasure/luxory. My Dad's sister son is getting married in pakistan this coming summer and flight tickets are quite expensive (in the thousands/ per person) and we are a big family.

Although, we have not visited pakistan for a long time and seen all our relatives (for over 14 years) I do not see the benefit of taking on MORE debt than we already and paying INTEREST upon Interest on these loans just to go see our family in Pakistan.

This is called living beyond our means and I am sure this is not what Allah would want, to live luxuriously in a big house and big family and goign to see our family in pakistan but all by means of HARAM Interest BEARING loans!

What is the best advice in this case? My dad has been telling me - LOOK beta, how your brothers and sister are so open about there financial situation and willing to give up there credit cards, and he says since I don't I am being neglectful or a bad son...

I know the consequences and why would I want to go down that path? Is this really being disrespectful if I don't fulfill my dads wishes. ie. to pass over my credit cards to him?

What is the best advice, how can I tell my dad its wrong or show him that I do not want to bear this loans under my name solely due to the interest factor and that it is haram, no other reason.
Asalaamu Alaikum, jazakallahu khayr for sharing yuor situation with us. Firstly we must realise that we should obey our parents on permissable matters but we should not obey them on matters which are not permissable. Therefore on this particular matter where your father is asking for use of your credit card which will result in further debt and interest then you should refuse to comply with such demands but obviously in a most delicate manner possible as he is your father and our parents deserve the best of respect and honour from us at all times even if they are treating us with injustice and harshness.

A lot of the times a person knows the consequances but becomes blind to that and only thinks about they they need to do to get themselves out of the situation they are in but you need to explain to your father or get an elder to explain to him (which would have more weight) that taking out interest is totally forbidden and Allah sees it as a war against him. That is how severe it is in his eyes.

The issue is you having credit cards in the first place at such an age and without even having a job. It is far better if you terminated your credit card accounts as you should not have them nor do you need them as having credit cards when you already have little or no income will tempt one to use money that is not yours. Hence eventually make one fall into interest. That is how debt begins and then it piles up more and more until it becomes unmanagable.

So i would recommend that you terminate your accounts and if your father asks then tell him you have cancelled your cards as you did not want to pay any interest or risk paying any interest as it is a major sin and seen as a "war against Allah".

May Allah save us from ever getting into war with him. Ameen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!