/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

theidler
01-01-2012, 02:36 AM
Hi everyone! :)
I am a Catholic Christian who is a student of world religions and theology, looking for more insight into Islam. I would like to state that I am here out of sincere interest, and not to bait, mock, or be some kind of troll (no doubt, this happens to you often as it does on the Catholic forums for me and other Catholics). I am sincerely and respectfully interested in delving into more Islamic spiritual reading, philosophy, theology, and the like.
I am more than open to recommendations! :)
God bless you all,
theidler.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Aprender
01-01-2012, 03:46 AM
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you here to learn!

theidler
01-01-2012, 04:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aprender
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you here to learn!
Thank you, I look forward to it!:thankyou:

Ramadhan
01-01-2012, 04:11 AM
salam,

Welcome to IB!

Hope you will have enjoyable and beneficial stay :)

format_quote Originally Posted by theidler
I would like to state that I am here out of sincere interest, and not to bait, mock, or be some kind of troll (no doubt, this happens to you often as it does on the Catholic forums for me and other Catholics)
Oh yes, we do have our shares of those types, but they were usually taken care of quickly.
Good to know you are not one of those :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
theidler
01-01-2012, 04:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan
salam,

Welcome to IB!

Hope you will have enjoyable and beneficial stay :)

Oh yes, we do have our shares of those types, but they were usually taken care of quickly.
Good to know you are not one of those :)
No, I am definitely not one of those. We have our share of "trolls" over on the Catholic forums too, and nothing annoys me more. St. Thomas Aquinas (one of our famous saints and philosophers in the Catholic tradition) stated that there is truth everywhere you find it, and I hold to that very much.
I am waiting for my post concerning good Islamic spiritual and theological reads - in the meantime, any recommendations??? My Islamic section of my library is rather...small, to say the least. This is what I have so far:
The Meaning of the Holy Qur'an translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali
The Way of the Sufi by Idries Shah
Divine Flashes by Fakhruddin 'Iraqi
Avicenna on Theology
The Pocket Rumi

I am very interested especially in Al-Ghazali's writings, and am especially interested in other orthodox Islamic thinkers.

Thanks all for your hospitality!:)

ardianto
01-01-2012, 04:24 AM
Welcome to the forum, theidler

:welcome:

Ramadhan
01-01-2012, 04:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by theidler
I am waiting for my post concerning good Islamic spiritual and theological reads - in the meantime, any recommendations??? My Islamic section of my library is rather...small, to say the least. This is what I have so far:
The Meaning of the Holy Qur'an translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali
The Way of the Sufi by Idries Shah
Divine Flashes by Fakhruddin 'Iraqi
Avicenna on Theology
The Pocket Rumi
I see that you have books on sufism, but please be aware that Islam is not sufism. I understand that sufism appeal to western people because it places so much on the spiritual, in a manner not unlike buddhism, but Islam is the complete way of life, and places the practicals as important as spirituals.

This book is quite good introductory book on Islam written by non-muslim (but please be in mind that this book may not be accurate):
http://www.amazon.com/Islam-Short-Hi.../dp/0679640401

I see that you also have yet to have seerah (biography of the prophet Muhammad saaw). This book is quite popular and mostly based on authentic narrations (hadith shahih or hasan):
http://www.amazon.com/Ar-Raheeq-Al-Makhtum-Sealed-Nectar-Biography/dp/1591440718

Signor
01-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Welcome Bro

God Willing All Questions will be answered.I completely agree with bro Ramadhan,Islam don't revolve around spirituality alone,its a package with spiritual,moral,ethical,social,economical etc elements,So you should start reading other topics too

God Bless

Huzzy_786
01-01-2012, 03:19 PM
:welcome: Hope you enjoy the forum :statisfie

theidler
01-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the replies everybody!
Yes, I kind of knew that Sufism was not Islam, but sort of a mystical branch of it in a sense (is this correct?)...and I am definitely looking for authors outside of that. It's just that Sufi writings are very easy to obtain, ha.
I will look into the titles you have listed. Are their any other orthodox writers I should look into? I'm all ears.
Thanks again :)
Jason

Jedi_Mindset
01-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Salaam bro,

Enjoy your stay here and Insha'Allah (If its Gods will) you will learn alot ;)

Peace be upon you

peace_maker
01-03-2012, 12:30 PM
:welcome: aboard. Hope you attain the right knowledge.

- Qatada -
01-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Hey theidler :) !

Welcome to the forums.

Here's a good resource; http://islamreligion.com

Any questions? Ask away!

alhamdulilaah
01-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Welcome to the forum,

Hope you will have great time here.

Yes, but whoever submits his face (himself) to Allah (i.e. follows Allah's Religion of Islamic Monotheism)
and he is a Muhsin (good-doer i.e. performs good deeds totally for Allah's sake only without any show off or to gain praise or fame,
etc., and in accordance with the Sunnah of Allah's Messenger Muhammad Peace be upon him ) then his reward is with his Lord (Allah),
on such shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve. Surah Al-Baqarah (The Cow) Ayah 112

And who can be better in religion than one who submits his face (himself) to Allah (i.e. follows Allah's Religion of Islamic Monotheism); and he is a Muhsin (a good-doer - see V.2:112). And follows the religion of Ibrahim (Abraham) Hanifa (Islamic Monotheism - to worship none but Allah Alone). Surah An-Nisa' (The Women) surah no.4 :ayah 125

And whoever submits his face to Allah while he is a doer of good - then he has grasped the most trustworthy handhold.
And to Allah will be the outcome of [all] matters.Surat Luqmān 31 ayah 22

There is no compulsion in religion. Verily, the Right Path has become distinct from the wrong path.
Whoever disbelieves in Taghut and believes in Allah, then he has grasped the most trustworthy handhold
that will never break. And Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower. Surah Al-Baqarah (The Cow), Ayah 256

sis muslimah
01-04-2012, 11:02 PM
welcome to the forum

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Hi and Greetings of peace

Welcome to the forum!

Hope you enjoy your stay here and also find it beneficial towards yourself..

.. peace ..

Galaxy
01-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Welcome, I hope you learn a lot here

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!