/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What does Hijab mean to you?

♥ Sofia ♥
01-01-2012, 11:04 PM
:salamext:

honestly, what does hijab mean to you? what does one need to attain to carry out perfect hijab?

looking at your lifestyle, do you think you fit your own definition of hijab?

one of my friends has told me that hijab means to cover the hair, ears and neck.

another said hijab is the way a person conducts themselves islamically - therefore, with the right intention, one does not need to wear a headscarf to be modest.

a third friend stated that hijab is oppressive (:rolleyes:), a male innovation, and merely a piece of cloth dictating whether one belongs to islam or not. this one also believes that hijab has lost its true meaning.

these are all opinions of young muslimahs.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
serena77
01-01-2012, 11:10 PM
personally ... hijab to me is both physical and mental. Keep in mind... I reverted... 3-4 weeks ago... time has been so weird w/ work stuff that my timing is off.... but i believe that it is both dressing modestly and acting according to that. It means to be humble ... to lower ones gaze, to be soft spoken and helpful when possible. while i never dressed... skimpy... or showing skin that i shouldn't have shown to my jobs standards .. they have things like... if you sit down and anyone can see the skin on your back, you go home and change.... so i dressed modestly by those standards... while my clothes fit well, they weren't as loose as what they should be for islamic reasons.... i don't have money to buy a whole new wordrobe... so I'm also trying to lose weight to make my clothes looser... i can stand to drop a few ( more than a few) pounds... but thats how i see it, in probably more detail than you were asking for.. . my apologizes for that if it is.
Serena

islamica
01-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Wa'alaikum as'salaam,

The christian women of during the Jahilyah days used cover their heads and expose their ears, necks and chest. Sadly I see many Muslimahs doing the same today. I also see Muslims dressed properly but lacking inner hijab, where they are flirting, dating and even fornicating. On the other end i see SE Asian type muslims who don't do outer hjaba and claim hijab in your heart is all that matters.

Hijab is bother inner and outer act of modesty. What you see is what should be reflected inside. This is hijab....

♥ Sofia ♥
01-02-2012, 08:08 AM
first off, i agree with the above posts :)

now, hijab is obligatory and people need to stop making excuses for it in order to make themselves and the non believers at 'ease' about women's rights etc. sure, someone genuinely may not be ready to wear the hijab and i hold a certain level of respect for them for not tainting the purity of hijab (e.g. by lying and saying they're ready when they know they're not and then going and committing unlawful acts).

however, how long is too long to prepare yourself? loadsssss of girls i know say they'll wear it after college, yet they're perfectly capable of wearing it now. their families encourage it. we live in a multicultural society which is pretty accepting (well, if there are any harsh feelings, people shut up about it). they're just looking for more excuses; too many say that they're trying to escape 'harsh looks and bad judgment' - basically, they yearn acceptance from the kuffar and less respectful muslimahs. wallahu alam. allah swt is your greatest judge.

i believe that hijab is all about attaining that level of inner and outer harmonic peace. unless you're still growing as a person you can't be super modest on the outside yet filthy on the inside because that just looks like you're a 'hijabi' for the wrong reasons and you're trying to please others. don't wear it for your parents or those around you - learn why hijab is in place, you'll fall in love with it.

secondly, pure intentions and good mannerisms on the inside must reflect perfectly on the outside unless you're still craving for some sort of self satisfaction or unlawful praise and attention from others, including men. or maybe just lack of knowledge. for example, the simple act of putting on perfume. many girls follow their mothers or whoever's around them by putting on fragrance outside the house - an innocent gesture to some to sweeten the smell. what they don't realise is, by putting on perfume and letting non mahrams smell you as you pass by, you are considered an adulteress.
  • It was narrated from Abu Moosa (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "If a woman puts on perfume and passes by people so that they can smell her fragrance, then she is such and such,” and he spoke sternly - meaning an adulteress." Narrated by Abu Dawood (4173) and al-Tirmidhi (2786); classed as saheeh by Ibn Daqeeq al-Eid in al-Iqtiraah (126) and by Shaykh al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.
wallahu alam. i don't have any power to know the true intentions of people but this is all my best bet due to observation, knowledge and understanding.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Salahudeen
01-02-2012, 08:31 AM
Attachment 4509

This isn't hijaab as many sisters today believe it is ^

Hijab is full body covering that doesn't expose any shape of your body. I've thought about printing loads of copies of the above picture and handing it out.

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaykh al-Albaani (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The conditions of hijaab:

Firstly:

(It should cover all the body apart from whatever has been exempted).

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allaah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.”

This aayah clearly states that it is obligatory to cover all of a woman’s beauty and adornments and not to display any part of that before non-mahram men (“strangers”) except for whatever appears unintentionally, in which case there will be no sin on them if they hasten to cover it up.

Al-Haafiz ibn Katheer said in his Tafseer:

This means that they should not display any part of their adornment to non-mahrams, apart from that which it is impossible to conceal. Ibn Mas’ood said: such as the cloak and robe, i.e., what the women of the Arabs used to wear, an outer garment which covered whatever the woman was wearing, except for whatever appeared from beneath the outer garment. There is no sin on a woman with regard to this because it is impossible to conceal it.

Secondly

(it should not be an adornment in and of itself).

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“… and not to show off their adornment…” [al-Noor 24:31]. The general meaning of this phrase includes the outer garment, because if it is decorated it will attract men’s attention to her. This is supported by the aayah in Soorat al-Ahzaab (interpretation of the meaning):

“And stay in your houses, and do not display yourselves like that of the times of ignorance” [al-Ahzaab 33:33]. It is also supported by the hadeeth in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are three, do not ask me about them: a man who leaves the jamaa’ah, disobeys his leader and dies disobedient; a female or male slave who runs away then dies; and a woman whose husband is absent and left her with everything she needs, and after he left she made a wanton display of herself. Do not ask about them.”

(Narrated by al-Haakim, 1/119; Ahmad, 6/19; from the hadeeth of Faddaalah bint ‘Ubayd. Its isnaad is saheeh and it is in al-Adab al-Mufrad).

Thirdly:

(It should be thick and not transparent or “see-thru”)

- because it cannot cover properly otherwise. Transparent or see-thru clothing makes a woman more tempting and beautiful. Concerning this the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “During the last days of my ummah there will be women who are clothed but naked, with something on their heads like the humps of camels. Curse them, for they are cursed.” Another hadeeth adds: “They will not enter Paradise or even smell its fragrance, although its fragrance can be detected from such and such a distance.”

(Narrated by Muslim from the report of Abu Hurayrah).

Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said: what the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) meant was women who wear clothes made of light fabric which describes and does not cover. They are clothed in name but naked in reality.

Transmitted by al-Suyooti in Tanweer al-Hawaalik, 3/103.

Fourthly:

(It should be loose, not tight so that it describes any part of the body).

The purpose of clothing is to prevent fitnah (temptation), and this can only be achieved if clothes are wide and loose. Tight clothes, even if they conceal the colour of the skin, still describe the size and shape of the body or part of it, and create a vivid image in the minds of men. The corruption or invitation to corruption that is inherent in that is quite obvious. So the clothes must be wide. Usaamah ibn Zayd said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) gave me a thick Egyptian garment that was one of the gifts given to him by Duhyat al-Kalbi, and I gave it to my wife to wear. He said, ‘Why do I not see you wearing that Egyptian garment?’ I said, ‘I gave it to my wife to wear.’ He said, ‘Tell her to wear a gown underneath it, for I am afraid that it may describe the size of her bones.’” (Narrated by al-Diyaa’ al-Maqdisi in al-Ahaadeeth al-Mukhtaarah, 1/442, and by Ahmad and al-Bayhaqi, with a hasan isnaad).

Fifthly:

(It should not be perfumed with bakhoor or fragrance)

There are many ahaadeeth which forbid women to wear perfume when they go out of their houses. We will quote here some of those which have saheeh isnaads:

Abu Moosa al-Ash’ari said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Any woman who puts on perfume then passes by people so that they can smell her fragrance, is an adulteress.”

Zaynab al-Thaqafiyyah reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If any one of you (women) goes out to the mosque, let her not touch any perfume.”

Abu Hurayrah said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Any woman who has scented herself with bakhoor (incense), let her not attend ‘Ishaa’ prayers with us.”

Moosa ibn Yassaar said that a woman passed by Abu Hurayrah and her scent was overpowering. He said, “O female slave of al-Jabbaar, are you going to the mosque?” She said, “Yes,” He said, “And have you put on perfume because of that?” She said, “Yes.” He said, “Go back and wash yourself, for I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: ‘If a woman comes out to the mosque and her fragrance is overpowering, Allaah will not accept any prayer from her until she goes home and washes herself.’”

These ahaadeeth are general in implication. Just as the prohibition covers perfume applied to the body, it also covers perfume applied to the clothes, especially in the third hadeeth, where bakhoor (incense) is mentioned, because incense is used specifically to perfume the clothes.

The reason for this prohibition is quite clear, which is that women’s fragrance may cause undue provocation of desires. The scholars also included other things under this heading of things to be avoided by women who want to go to the mosque, such as beautiful clothes, jewellery that can be seen, excessive adornments and mingling with men. See Fath al-Baari, 2/279.

Ibn Daqeeq al-‘Eed said:

This indicates that it is forbidden for a woman who wants to go to the mosque to wear perfume, because this causes provocation of men’s desires. This was reported by al-Manaawi in Fayd al-Qadeer, in the commentary on the first hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah quoted above.

Sixthly:

(It should not resemble the clothing of men)

It was reported in the saheeh ahaadeeth that a woman who imitates men in dress or in other ways is cursed. There follow some of the ahaadeeth that we know:

Abu Hurayrah said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the man who wears women’s clothes, and the woman who wears men’s clothes.”

‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: ‘They are not part of us, the women who imitate men and the men who imitate women.’”

Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed effeminate men and masculine women. He said, ‘Throw them out of your houses.’” He said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) expelled So and so, and ‘Umar expelled So and so.” According to another version: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed men who imitate women and women who imitate men.”

‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘There are three who will not enter Paradise and Allaah will not even look at them on the Day of Resurrection: one who disobeys his parents, a woman who imitates men, and the duyooth (cuckold, weak man who feels no jealousy over his womenfolk).”

Ibn Abi Maleekah – whose name was ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Ubayd-Allaah – said: “It was said to ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), ‘What if a woman wears (men’s) sandals?’ She said: ‘The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed women who act like men.’”

These ahaadeeth clearly indicate that it is forbidden for women to imitate men and vice versa, This usually includes dress and other matters, apart from the first hadeeth quoted above, which refers to dress only.

Abu Dawood said, in Masaa’il al-Imaam Ahmad (p. 261): “I heard Ahmad being asked about a man who dresses his slave woman in a tunic. He said, ‘Do not clothe her in men’s garments, do not make her look like a man.” Abu Dawood said: “I said to Ahmad, Can he give her bachelor sandals to wear? He said, No, unless she wears them to do wudoo’. I said, What about for beauty? He said, No. I said, Can he cut her hair short? He said, No.”

Seventhly:

(It should not resemble the dress of kaafir women).

It is stated in sharee’ah that Muslims, men and women alike, should not resemble or imitate the kuffaar with regard to worship, festivals or clothing that is specific to them. This is an important Islamic principle which nowadays, unfortunately, is neglected by many Muslims, even those who care about religion and calling others to Islam. This is due either to ignorance of their religion, or because they are following their own whims and desires, or because of deviation, combined with modern customs and imitation of kaafir Europe. This was one of the causes of the Muslims’ decline and weakness, which enabled the foreigners to overwhelm and colonize them. “…Verily, Allaah will not change the condition of a people as long as they do not change their state themselves …” [al-Ra’d 13:11 – interpretation of the meaning]. If only they knew.

It should be known that there is a great deal of saheeh evidence for these important rules in the Qur’aan and Sunnah, and that the evidence in the Qur’aan is elaborated upon in the Sunnah, as is always the case.

Eighthly:

(It should not be a garment of fame and vanity).

Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Whoever wears a garment of fame and vanity in this world, Allaah will clothe him in a garment of humiliation on the Day of Resurrection, then He will cause Fire to flame up around him.’”

(Hijaab al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, p. 54-67).

And Allaah knows best.

Praise be to Allaah.

The scholars have based the conditions of the hijaab (covering) which Muslim women must wear in front of non-mahram men on the evidence in the Qur’aan and Sunnah. So long as a woman adheres to these conditions, she may wear whatever she likes in public places and elsewhere, and her hijaab will be considered Islamic. These conditions may be summarized as follows:

The hijaab must cover her entire body

It should be thick enough to conceal what is underneath it

It should be loose-fitting, not tight

It should not be so attractive as to call men’s attention to it

It should not be perfumed

It should not be a dress of fame and vanity (i.e., it should be extravagant or excessively opulent)

It should not resemble the dress of men

It should not resemble the dress of kaafir women

It should not be adorned with any crosses or pictures of animate beings

Further discussion of each of the above points will appear soon, in sha Allaah.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/214/hijaab

♥ Sofia ♥
01-02-2012, 08:49 AM
jazakallah khayr. i could knock out someone who thinks hijab is purely arabian culture with those evidences :D

that's the problem though, people pick and choose their islam when it fits them. then they start spreading such lies and this is how the misconceptions grow.

Danah
01-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Hijab to me is the outer presentation of what I believe inside. I don't agree with those who think that belief is only inside, yeah I believe that Allah looks at our hearts not our looks but how we can believe in something and not practice it, Islam is belief and action. we would be lying to ourselves if we holding beliefs without acting upon them. Can someone say that he is strongly believe that prayer is one of the pillars of Islam yet he doesn't pray?
If Allah command us women to dress modestly then this becomes something we should believe in.

Hijab to me is to cover the whole body parts from head to toe, any part of the body that draw attention should be covered, that is my concept of Hijab

Its an important element to strengthen my personality and a huge/great proud I carry around to say it loud that I am a Muslim and I am protected/preserved by My Creator commands.

Rhubarb Tart
01-02-2012, 02:31 PM
I sometime wear along skirt and long shirt. Apparently I am in the no category. So I can’t comment!^o)

♥ Sofia ♥
01-02-2012, 02:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sweet106
I sometime wear along skirt and long shirt. Apparently I am in the no category. So I can’t comment!
if your outfit is eye catching then it's not suitable for hijab. similarly, if it's tight fitting, then it's not suitable either.

if your long shirts and skirts are understated and loose on the body like an abaya then i'm sure that's permissible...

Rhubarb Tart
01-02-2012, 02:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ♥ Sofia ♥
if your long shirts and skirts are understated and loose on the body like an abaya then i'm sure that's permissible...
yep, i know! i do wear abaya too.

Marina-Aisha
01-02-2012, 04:11 PM
i believe its ur whole body, ive only been wearing my hijab only bout three weeks i guess but i make sure that everything is covered...but i have to say sometimes i feel like some people just stare at me..i was wearing this long dress( dress goestomy ankles)and everyone was staring at me..i dunno if cos im white girl or wot...made me feel alittle uneasy.

♥ Sofia ♥
01-02-2012, 04:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marina28
i believe its ur whole body, ive only been wearing my hijab only bout three weeks i guess but i make sure that everything is covered...but i have to say sometimes i feel like some people just stare at me..i was wearing this long dress( dress goestomy ankles)and everyone was staring at me..i dunno if cos im white girl or wot...made me feel alittle uneasy.
i've had people looking at me whenever i'm in an area that has a smaller muslim population. hate it when people look -__- haha, makes me so uneasy. i don't know where you live, but maybe it could be because you're in an area where there aren't so many muslims let alone hijabis about, so people aren't totally used to the idea?

i mean, i'm fine in most places in london. it's even better down the city where i get no looks at all. however, when i'm just a little further out (areas within essex for example where they're predominantly white) i get looked at. no insults or anything, but just curious looks/stares :S

Marina-Aisha
01-02-2012, 04:30 PM
i've had people looking at me whenever i'm in an area that has a smaller muslim population. hate it when people look -__- haha, makes me so uneasy. i don't know where you live, but maybe it could be because you're in an area where there aren't so many muslims let alone hijabis about, so people aren't totally used to the idea?

i mean, i'm fine in most places in london. it's even better down the city where i get no looks at all. however, when i'm just a little further out (areas within essex for example where they're predominantly white) i get looked at. no insults or anything, but just curious looks/stares :S
i live in east london which is fine not alot stares then but when i go shopping to lakeside or romford there staring! i guess i have just get over it hahaha

♥ Sofia ♥
01-02-2012, 05:12 PM
i live in east london which is fine not alot stares then but when i go shopping to lakeside or romford there staring! i guess i have just get over it hahaha
lool, yeah, i'm in east too :) romford's the worst tbh!

Marina-Aisha
01-02-2012, 05:26 PM
I know! I'm going back to work soon(I'm on maternity) and I'm not looking forward to it as I work on some little store in romford. I'm aliitle nervous wearing my hijab there eek!

♥ Sofia ♥
01-02-2012, 05:33 PM
I know! I'm going back to work soon(I'm on maternity) and I'm not looking forward to it as I work on some little store in romford. I'm aliitle nervous wearing my hijab there eek!
ah, my aunty used to work in romford! she said it'll be fine once they're used to you... may allah swt make things easy for you :) <3

Marina-Aisha
01-02-2012, 06:26 PM
ah, my aunty used to work in romford! she said it'll be fine once they're used to you... may allah swt make things easy for you :) <3
Thank you, it's just I people at work don't know that I'm going to convert. To be honest I dunno how they will react. But thank you, sorry to get off topic. :)

Insaanah
01-02-2012, 06:56 PM
:sl:

What is your daleel for this sister?

As far as I know, this situation is as follows, but I would appreciate being corrected:

http://www.islamicboard.com/new-musl...ml#post1456044

It is a different thing if for whatever reason somebody can't yet wear jilbaab/abaya, but I feel that advice given has to have some basis shown from Qur'an and sunnah.

And Allah knows best in all matters and may He forgive me if I said anything wrong.

♥ Sofia ♥
01-02-2012, 07:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
What is your daleel for this sister?

As far as I know, this situation is as follows, but I would appreciate being corrected:

http://www.islamicboard.com/new-musl...ml#post1456044 (Women's clothing... what are the rules?)

It is a different thing if for whatever reason somebody can't yet wear jilbaab/abaya, but I feel that advice given has to have some basis shown from Qur'an and sunnah.

And Allah knows best in all matters and may He forgive me if I said anything wrong.
oh, i was wrong! i just thought that if the shirt and skirt was all one colour e.g. black and was loose fitting then it would be okay on occasion. i've always been told it's okay to wear a long skirt and baggy top instead of an abaya. jazakallah khayr for correcting me :)

Abz2000
01-02-2012, 07:51 PM

syilla
01-03-2012, 01:47 AM
i believe hijab came from taqwa, if one has the highest taqwa then the presenting would be different. You have to remember that everyone has a different level of taqwa. If we are being judgemental theres no way you can change their view. Show and teach them taqwa. remember wearing clothes are actually are the principal being taught since we are as a child and you can never change a person in an overnight.

Karimah
01-03-2012, 07:03 AM
Hello, new here and still learning about Islam so please excuse my ignorance. My question is about the whole "no perfume" thing. Do you think this extends to scented soaps and hair shampoos?

♥ Sofia ♥
01-03-2012, 11:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
i believe hijab came from taqwa, if one has the highest taqwa then the presenting would be different. You have to remember that everyone has a different level of taqwa. If we are being judgemental theres no way you can change their view. Show and teach them taqwa. remember wearing clothes are actually are the principal being taught since we are as a child and you can never change a person in an overnight.
that's true and many people are still learning and developing including myself. if someone started off on a rocky road, yet you gave them some help and now they're progressing and you can see that, then that's different to someone who is being reminded again and again yet still insists on wearing what they 'think' is hijab. you can still help but there's a difference between lack of knowledge and not being taught right from the start etc, than having the knowledge and knowing its importance yet still ignoring the good advice. that's a diff issue - may allah swt rid this sickness of pride from such people's hearts. anyway, no matter how hard we try, us humans cannot change people

format_quote Originally Posted by Karimah
Hello, new here and still learning about Islam so please excuse my ignorance. My question is about the whole "no perfume" thing. Do you think this extends to scented soaps and hair shampoos?
hey :) this is what i got from islamqa:

It was narrated by Imam Ahmad (40/229), and by al-Tirmidhi (2786) who classed it as saheeh, that Abu Moosa al-Ash’ari (may Allah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Any woman who puts on perfume then passes by the people so that they can smell its fragrance is a zaaniyah.” Classed as hasan by al-Albaani.

Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

Women are enjoined to cover themselves when they go out of their houses, and the perfume which has a fragrance is not allowed because it increases the fitnah. End quote.

It was narrated by Abu Dawood (2174), and by al-Tirmidhi (2787) who classed it as hasan, that Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Perfume for men is that which has a strong fragrance and scant colour, and perfume for women is that which has a strong colour and scant fragrance.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

Sa’eed ibn Abi ‘Uroobah, the narrator of the hadeeth, said: I think that with regard to the words “perfume for women” this refers to when she wants to go out, but if she is with her husband, she may apply whatever perfume she wants. End quote.

^ to sum up it means that if a woman is going to pass by groups of men where her fragrance can be smelt then that's not permissible. the ruling is not restricted to one type of perfume - rather it encompasses all products used on the body of a woman that give off a fragrance, including strongly scented soaps and shampoos. if you washed with a scented soap or a shampoo but it didn't leave a lingering scent on your skin then that's fine, it's just as long as the fragrance isn't there when you're going out.

Riana17
01-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Salam all

I am newly convert and I am sorry to say that I don't like wearing Avaya. I love fashion, I love clothes, I love sewing by hand even I dont know machine. I have hundreds of clothes, I love shopping on sale :(
the Only thing I like is clothes

Normally I wear pantalon with almost till knees upper clothe (but I avoid heels)

Mostly I wear this much, is it harram? I can't wear the straight clothes, No i just cant :(

Marina-Aisha
01-03-2012, 11:31 AM
I heard it's okay to wear perfume as long as it's not strong..I've been wearing a perfume oil but it's very light..is that okay?

♥ Sofia ♥
01-03-2012, 11:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Riana17
Salam all

I am newly convert and I am sorry to say that I don't like wearing Avaya. I love fashion, I love clothes, I love sewing by hand even I dont know machine. I have hundreds of clothes, I love shopping on sale :(
the Only thing I like is clothes

Normally I wear pantalon with almost till knees upper clothe (but I avoid heels)

Mostly I wear this much, is it harram? I can't wear the straight clothes, No i just cant
welcome to islam sister, may allah protect you <3

sorry sis but women in islam and fashion outside the home don't mix :( the picture you gave isn't a very good representation of a hijabi... the arms are showing, hijab isn't covering the chest...

strange men don't deserve to see you looking extra pretty :) lol, there's nothing wrong with buying the clothes and wearing them at home obviously, but outside, keep it plain and simple with an abaya! it's the easiest way and you'll get rewarded by allah swt, just try it sis insha'Allah <3 i put on abaya as soon as i started wearing hijab at 12. trust me, it's the easiest option and you'll defo please allah swt by ditching the fashionable tops and putting on a beautiful simple abaya. i understand that it's hard and it's what you're used to but reverting to islam is all about ditching old contradictory habits! it'll be worth it insha'Allah. may allah swt make things easier for you. :)

I heard it's okay to wear perfume as long as it's not strong..I've been wearing a perfume oil but it's very light..is that okay?
i might give the wrong advice so i think you should take a look at this insha'Allah: http://islamqa.com/en/ref/102329/

"When she puts on perfume and thinks it most likely that her fragrance will not reach people and that men will not smell any of it, such as if she is going out in her husband’s car on a trip to an isolated place, or to visit her family, or she is going out in her husband’s car to a gathering for women only, or she is going to the mosque in the car and she is going to get out at the entrance to the prayer-hall that is for women only and is completely separate from the men, then she is going to come straight back in the car without walking in the street, and other such situations where the woman does not expect to pass through the streets and her aim in putting on perfume is to keep herself clean in general as enjoined by sharee’ah. In that case there is nothing wrong with her using perfume, because the reason for the prohibition, which is that the fragrance might reach other men, does not apply."

basically, if you're sure men won't be able to smell you you'll be fine. that is, if you're most likely not going to pass by any groups of men. however if you put it on and you're sure you'll pass by men who'll be able to smell your fragrance even if your intention isn't to tempt them then that's not permissible.

i don't think it says anything about light perfume. the scent given off in this context means a fragrance that lingers on the skin. it'd be best to just not wear perfume/fragrance/notable scent etc at all when you're around men as that puts you in safe waters, and you don't know whether they'll smell it or not - you may have a good intention but if they do happen to smell it although you THINK it's light, you still put on the perfume knowing that you'll be passing by men, no matter what quantity you applied to the skin... if that made sense? if there's a chance of men smelling it other than in a case of emergency then don't wear it insha'Allah XD

there's more points on that page that you should read up on insha'Allah to make things clearer!

Riana17
01-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Asalam Sis Sofi

I just wanna know where in Quran the Avaya or wearing black thing and hijab covering the chest?
I thought Avaya is culture thing and not Islamic a must

Sorry about the pic, that's exactly how i dress but not short hand, its till wrist.

♥ Sofia ♥
01-03-2012, 07:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Riana17
Asalam Sis Sofi

I just wanna know where in Quran the Avaya or wearing black thing and hijab covering the chest?
I thought Avaya is culture thing and not Islamic a must

Sorry about the pic, that's exactly how i dress but not short hand, its till wrist.
:wasalamex

surah an-nur:

"And say to the faithful women to lower their gazes, and to guard their private parts, and not to display their beauty except what is apparent of it, and to extend their headcoverings to cover their bosoms..."
(bosom = chest)

bro salahudeen posted a bunch of hadiths and qur'an verses on the first page of this thread, post #5. please take a look sister to clear up the other questions you've mentioned insha'Allah.

Riana17
01-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks I will read them

UmmuShaheed
01-27-2012, 02:45 AM
Asalamu Alaikum,
I agree with sister Danah, mashallah well said.
I also wear niqab, which attracts more negative attention from people who don't understand it.
I know how it feels to walk into a place, and have everyone look at you funny. Some even get angry and try to physically take it off of you.
Its a test from Allah the creator of all things, you can make a good thing from it though. Give dacwah when your asked a question and remember to do it in the most respectful manner even if they aren't respecting you.
May Allah make our imaan stronger inshallah.
I was talking to some sisters and one of them told me kind of a funny story.
Her mother wears niqab as well, so 3 days after 9/11 happened (people were still shocked) she went to a bank. Once she came in everyone fell on the floor, and ducked. She didnt know what was going on, and went on the floor as well. They assumed she was going to do something, and she was oblivious to the situation so she remained in that position.
Then little by little people started to look around and noticed the bank supposed bank robber was on the floor with them. They were looking at her and she was looking around looking for the reason why everyone was on the floor.
She then realized she was the reason why they were scared.
he he ;D
Subhanallah people do some interesting things out of ignorance.

Txyib
01-27-2012, 02:49 AM
salam
not that i am a female but i have seen many females wearing hijab in fashion type yet they commit sins which makes others think who are these people muslims??
more to the point some also do not cover their body as hijaab is short and womens body must be all covered in front of men and in publlic excluding hands

Who Am I?
01-27-2012, 03:08 AM
:sl:

I know that this is a question for the sisters, but I want to throw in my own answer here.

Hijab to me is lowering my gaze whenever an attractive woman/girl walks by. Hijab for me is not looking at pornography whenever I get that lustful feeling. Hijab for me is not being distracted by the presence of women because I am trying to be a better man.

This is what hijab is to me. For the sisters I know it is something different, but for me, it is the above, and it is me staying focused on what is important in life and not being distracted by other things.

joyous fairy
01-27-2012, 03:14 AM
Assalam alaykum,

I love hijab :)

Walaykum salam.

UmmuShaheed
01-28-2012, 05:23 AM
Mashallah :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!