/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is this Haraam?

Beardo
01-02-2012, 10:24 PM
The question is not, "Is this Haraam?"

The simple question is, "Will this take me to Jannah?"

And remember that everything is Halaal, except that which is said to be Haraam. Not the other way around (ie, Everything is Haraam except that which is said to be Halaal).

I hope this answers all your Fiqh questions.

(Mufti?) Beardo
(kidding about the Mufti part, before ya'll start jumping on me for acting like a self-proclaimed scholar)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Banu_Hashim
01-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Forgive me ya shaykh... but, isn't the principle in relation to 'ibaadaat that 'everything is haraam unless proven to be halaal by evidence from Qur'aan and Sunnah'?

What you said is correct if you mean it to apply to worldly matters outside of worship.

Ramadhan
01-03-2012, 01:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo
And remember that everything is Halaal, except that which is said to be Haraam. Not the other way around (ie, Everything is Haraam except that which is said to be Halaal).
Well, in ibadah, everything is haraam, except those which have been made halal.

Beardo
01-03-2012, 06:07 AM
But what is classified as Ibaadat? Could you clarify this please?

Because I remember there was a lecture - forgive me if I'm mistaken, but it was by Shaykh Abdur Rahman Manghera. But I could be wrong. Nonetheless, it said and it stuck to me since.

May Allah Ta'ala forgive me for my shortcomings.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Banu_Hashim
01-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Anything like salaah, zakaah, hajj etc. These things have very rigid rules and everything is haraam unless supported by the Qur'aan or by how the Prophet (saws) showed/told us how to do it. You can't just make these things up can you?

Other things like the transactions that you make, the food that you eat etc. is halaal unless proven haraam.

~Zaria~
01-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Assalamu-alaikum all,

From my limited knowledge on this topic, I am aware of the following principles:

Everything is pure until proven otherwise, due to the following statement by Allah (subhanawata'ala):

"And we have placed everything in the heavens and earth for you." [31:20]

So, the rule is: where we have clear proof to show that something is impure, we follow accordingly,
And when in doubt - we revert to the above principle.

Because, in this case: 'Certainty is not removed by doubt'.

By way of example:

If you are in need to make wudhu/ ghusl - and you come across a bucket of water, and you do not know the status of the water (is it pure? is it impure?) - then you should base it on the original condition above and consider it pure. (unless the water has changed in colour, taste or smell.)

The second principle is:

Everything is halaal until proven otherwise - except meat, money and intercourse (in these three instances, one needs to ascertain that these are allowed for you before taking benefit).

Salaam

Ramadhan
01-03-2012, 02:42 PM
:sl:

^ How about in ibadah, like shalah, etc. ?
Does the principle of "everything is halal until made haram" still apply?

As far as I know from scholars (I don't have time to search for details), in ibadah it is the opposite.

IslamicRevival
01-03-2012, 02:59 PM
The question is not, "Is this Haraam?"

And remember that everything is Halaal, except that which is said to be Haraam. Not the other way around
Spot on, From what I understand, everything is Halal UNLESS its deemed to be Haram/unlawful under Islamic law

Glad you brought this up as Ive noticed many people on here are too quick to play the Haram card...which is sad to see and pretty off putting if im honest

syed_z
01-03-2012, 06:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Vision
Spot on, From what I understand, everything is Halal UNLESS its deemed to be Haram/unlawful under Islamic law

Glad you brought this up as Ive noticed many people on here are too quick to play the Haram card...which is sad to see and pretty off putting if im honest
Asalaam O Alaikum....

Since this is true that there are no such things in this world which absolutely fall either in Haraam or Halaal category. As times change, Muslims lifestyle changes and mankind invents new things and changes take place in collective as well as Individual way of life of Muslims.

For example when Camera was invented many Islamic Scholars around the world termed it as Haraam. But when they saw that the Camera is just an instrument, it can either be used for good purposes or to create Fitnah. When it was thoroughly made clear that it has a good purpose as well, that is when Majority scholars declared it as Halaal and few even up till today decline that a camera takes their picture and still term it as Haraam and they have their own opinions. They are very few.

The Hadith Of Prophet Muhammad (saw) makes it clear for us how to avoid something if we're not sure whether it falls under Halaal or Haraam category or until it is thoroughly proven Halaal.

Narrated An-Nu'man bin Bashir: I heard Allah's Apostle saying, 'Both legal and illegal things are evident but in between them there are doubtful (suspicious) things and most of the people have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from these suspicious things saves his religion and his honor. And whoever indulges in these suspicious things is like a shepherd who grazes (his animals) near the hima (private pasture) of someone else and at any moment he is liable to get in it. (O people!) Beware! Every king has a hima and the hima of Allah on the earth is His illegal (forbidden) things. Beware! There is a piece of flesh in the body if it becomes good (reformed) the whole body becomes good but if it gets spoilt the whole body gets spoilt and that is the heart. (Book #2, Hadith #49 Al Bukhari)

The hadith makes it clear that if there is something which is doubtful don't do it or accept it, even if there are chances it could be Halaal because it is said that there is much higher reward for the person who abandoned even what could be Halaal only for the Fear of earning displeasure of Allah (swt) and for no other reason.

This shows the extent of fear of loosing nearness of Allah (swt) for which inshA'Allah the person is rewarded even greater. This is a sign of Sure Faith.

Imam Ghazali says the following:

Prophet (saw) said "Nobody can be a god fearing man unless he gives up what causes no harm to him for fear of what causes harm."
For instance, such a man does not state all affairs to the people lest he is drawn to back biting or he fears to eat delicious food or drink lest it stimulates passion and lust which drive people to commit unlawful things.

So it It all depends on the level of one's Fear and love of Allah (swt) i.e. Taqwa.

We should not forget that this world is a test and everything in it which makes us attached to it could be a trap and therefore we have to make sure that it is not a trap we're falling for.

Prophet (saw) said "Sin is heart alluring."

Therefore my conclusion would be that we cannot say whether a Thing is Halaal or a thing is Haraam until proven. Until it is proven, even though it might take years, we should hold our horses and not accept it blindly because of "What if" reason....and that is a blessing as it happens because of Taqwa (Fear and love of Allah (swt))

~Zaria~
01-03-2012, 06:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan

^ How about in ibadah, like shalah, etc. ?
Does the principle of "everything is halal until made haram" still apply?

As far as I know from scholars (I don't have time to search for details), in ibadah it is the opposite.

The above principles apply only to:

- purities vs impurities (EVERYTHING on earth is pure for us, until proven otherwise).

- and halal vs haram in terms of what we consume/ use/ engage in. (EVERYTHING is Halal until proven otherwise - EXCEPT for meat, money and intercourse.....in these cases - one needs to prove that it is indeed lawful first).

The above does not apply to ibaadat (as far as i am aware)......

With regards to ibaadat - be it salaah, fasting, haj, etc.....these are prescribed in each manner.
There is no room to introduce different methods of ibaadat, and then ask: is this halaal or haraam......doing so - lends to the possibility of innovations.

This is just my understanding.
May Allah forgive me for any short-comings and errors.

Salaam

~Zaria~
01-03-2012, 06:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syed_z
The Hadith Of Prophet Muhammad (saw) makes it clear for us how to avoid something if we're not sure whether it falls under Halaal or Haraam category or until it is thoroughly proven Halaal.

Narrated An-Nu'man bin Bashir: I heard Allah's Apostle saying, 'Both legal and illegal things are evident but in between them there are doubtful (suspicious) things and most of the people have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from these suspicious things saves his religion and his honor. And whoever indulges in these suspicious things is like a shepherd who grazes (his animals) near the hima (private pasture) of someone else and at any moment he is liable to get in it. (O people!) Beware! Every king has a hima and the hima of Allah on the earth is His illegal (forbidden) things. Beware! There is a piece of flesh in the body if it becomes good (reformed) the whole body becomes good but if it gets spoilt the whole body gets spoilt and that is the heart. (Book 2, Hadith 49 Al Bukhari)

The hadith makes it clear that if there is something which is doubtful don't do it or accept it, even if there are chances it could be Halaal because it is said that there is much higher reward for the person who abandoned even what could be Halaal only for the Fear of earning displeasure of Allah (swt) and for no other reason.
Wa-alaikumosalam brother,

This principle is 100% correct, except when it comes to matters of purity and water.
With regards to this: the following applies -

Certainty is not removed by doubt.

For example:

In addition to the one I provided in my first post,

If you have made wudhu in the morning, and by zohr, you are not sure, or you are doubtful whether your wudhu broke within the day (e.g you are asking yourself - did i pass wind, or didnt i/ did i go to the toilet this morning or didnt I?......)
--> in such a case:

You stick to that which you are certain about, i.e. that u did indeed make wudhu......and not that which you are doubtful about.

Because, in cases of purity - Certainty is not removed by doubt.

The proof for this principle is in the hadith of Abdullah bin Zaid(ra) that a man informed Rasulullah (sallahu alaihi wasalam) that he feels some wind escaping him during prayer, so he said: He should not leave until he hears the sound or smells it. (Bukhari and Muslim)

(obviously if you know for sure that u passed wind, eg, and did not hear/ smell it.....then so too is your wudhu broken).

Just wanted to add this to the above with regards to 'doubtful matters'.

Hope it makes some sense, insha Allah.

Salaam

Ramadhan
01-03-2012, 11:39 PM
^

Yes, I agree with you about that "certainty is not removed by doubt" principle applies to taharah. This is what my islamic teacher also taught us.

Flame of Hope
01-04-2012, 12:04 AM
And remember that everything is Halaal, except that which is said to be Haraam.

Yes, this is correct.

All things are permissible (halal) except those things which are EXPLICITLY stated as forbidden by Allah and His Messenger (saws).

This principle is very important and it's worthwhile to note that one must NOT declare things to be haram in the absence of adequate and CLEAR evidence from the Qur'an and Sunnah. We must follow the example of our pious predecessors regarding this:

Imam Malik (may Allah be pleased with him) who said: "It was not the habit of those who preceded us, the early pious Muslims, who set good example for the following generations, to say, 'This is halal, and this is haram. But, they would say, 'I hate such-and-such, and maintain such-and-such, but as for halal and haram, this is what may be called inventing lies concerning Allah. Did not you hear Allah's Statement that reads, 'Say: Have you considered what provision Allah has sent down for you, how you have made of it lawful and unlawful? Say: Has Allah permitted you, or do you invent a lie concerning Allah?" (Yunus: 59) For, the halal is what Allah and His Messenger made lawful, and the haram is what Allah and His Messenger made unlawful.

Banu_Hashim
01-04-2012, 12:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Riham

Yes, this is correct.

All things are permissible (halal) except those things which are EXPLICITLY stated as forbidden by Allah and His Messenger (saws).

This principle is very important and it's worthwhile to note that one must NOT declare things to be haram in the absence of adequate and CLEAR evidence from the Qur'an and Sunnah. We must follow the example of our pious predecessors regarding this:

Imam Malik (may Allah be pleased with him) who said: "It was not the habit of those who preceded us, the early pious Muslims, who set good example for the following generations, to say, 'This is halal, and this is haram. But, they would say, 'I hate such-and-such, and maintain such-and-such, but as for halal and haram, this is what may be called inventing lies concerning Allah. Did not you hear Allah's Statement that reads, 'Say: Have you considered what provision Allah has sent down for you, how you have made of it lawful and unlawful? Say: Has Allah permitted you, or do you invent a lie concerning Allah?" (Yunus: 59) For, the halal is what Allah and His Messenger made lawful, and the haram is what Allah and His Messenger made unlawful.
JazaakAllah Khayr. Then, what about salaah and du'aa etc. (i.e. 'ibaadah)? I was told by a brother once who said the eid takbeeraat should not be said in unison or over a microphone to get everyone saying it together. I asked why? He said it was 'ibaadat and the rule (haraam unless proven halaal) applies. And there is no hadith to support it :/

Flame of Hope
01-04-2012, 12:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Inquilaab
Then, what about salaah and du'aa etc. (i.e. 'ibaadah)? I was told by a brother once who said the eid takbeeraat should not be said in unison or over a microphone to get everyone saying it together. I asked why? He said it was 'ibaadat and the rule (haraam unless proven halaal) applies. And there is no hadith to support it :/

People say a lot of things. We are obligated to investigate the truth for ourselves by asking what Allah and His Messenger had to say about it.

I don't know where the concept "all things are haram unless proven halal" came from.

Frankly, this principle sounds rather suffocating. It is against the spirit of Islam which is the religion of moderation and ease.

Beardo
01-04-2012, 01:13 AM
If someone could post the Hadith about Islam being facilitating and easy, I'd appreciate it...

Beardo
01-04-2012, 01:17 AM
Easiness and facilitation are of the main characteristics of Islam. Almighty Allah says: “Allah would not place a burden on you, but He would purify you and would perfect His grace upon you, that ye may give thanks.” (Al-Ma’idah: 6)

It is part of the mercy of Allah that you deal gently with them If you were severe or hardhearted, they would have broken away from you' (3: 159). Thus, when the Prophet sent his Companions Mu'adh and Abu Musa to teach Islam to the people of Yemen, he gave them the following advice: 'Facilitate [religious matters to people] and do not make [things] difficult. Obey each other and do not differ [amongst yourselves].' (Bukhari & Muslim).

So my dear brothers and sisters, instead of debating over that one point I made, what about the actual question I had asked:
Will it take me to Jannah?
Is that not the core to all issues?

Why must you guys be such sticklers? (Generally Speaking.) Just take the good. Take the best and leave the rest. It's so sickening and depressing to see how people just like to pinpoint but not derive benefit.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!