/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Different message between Islam and Christianity, coming from Allah?

Kimo94
01-03-2012, 02:23 AM
Salam w alaykom,
In the Bible, it says: You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth." But I say to you, Do not resist one who is evil. But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also; and if anyone would sue you and take your coat, let him have your cloak as well; and if any one forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. (Jesus in Matthew 5:38-41, Revised Standard Version)

So Allah said to jesus pbuh that if we hit you, dont take revenge and hit back.

But in the In Islam, when someone hits you, it says you are allowed to hit him back.

Since Islam teaches peace, why would Allah, change his message and the rules on revenge when it comes to hitting back someone who hit you, knowing that Jesus is a prophet of Allah, and that he transmitted Allah's message on earth.

Thank you for answering, jazakallah w kheir

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Al-manar
01-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Peace

format_quote Originally Posted by Kimo94
Salam w alaykom,
In the Bible, it says: You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.
where have they heard? it is the bible (old testament) itself :

Exodus 21:24
eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,

and that seems like is that Jesus is modifying such commandment ... but some would explain:

WHICH IS IT? 'EYE FOR AN EYE', OR 'TURN THE OTHER CHEEK'?
Deuteronomy 19:21 And thine eye shall not pity; but life shall go for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot. (KJV)

Matthew 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. (KJV)

The Deuteronomy passage is speaking of what must be done within the legal system. If a person commits a crime and is on trial, the punishment must fit the crime. The Matthew passage is speaking of one's actions in everyday dealings, telling people not to seek vengeance, but to forgive instead.

Another way of looking at it is this: You can only offer forgiveness for sins committed against you personally. You cannot forgive for sins committed against another. In the legal system, those doing the judging are NOT those who the crime was committed against, so they must offer justice ('eye for an eye') instead of forgiveness ('turn the other cheek'). But outside of the legal system, if someone hurts you, you DO have the option of forgiving them instead of dispensing justice, which is what Jesus wants us to do.

Besides that, the Deuteronomy passage is actually a call for restraint in punishments. At the time, it was common to give punishments which far outweighed the crime (killing someone for stealing, for example). God was telling them to keep punishments in line with the crimes committed. Not a contradiction.

we have two choices now :

EITHER ,the the previous argument meaningless and Jesus modified one of the laws of the old testament ,then we can argue the opposite of what you said in your post ,is that Allah, change his message and the rules on revenge from eye to eye to don't take revenge and hit back ...and that question is properly has to be directed to christians not muslims ...as it is Jesus,according to them, in the new testament who did change the rules.

OR If we held the previous argument to be sound, then it goes very well with the Quranic concept of revenge VS forgivness

in the In Islam, when someone hits you, it says you are allowed to hit him back..

The Quranic view as follows:

It views forgiveness superior to revenge in all of his revelations .... if you do seek justice none will blame you, but if you seek mercy you will be rewarded ...

Holy Quran 5:45 We ordained therein (in the Torah) for them: "Life for life, eye for eye, nose or nose, ear for ear, tooth for tooth, and wounds equal for equal." But if any one remits the retaliation by way of charity, it is an act of atonement for himself .

Holy Quran 16:126
If ye punish, then punish with the like of that wherewith ye were afflicted. But if ye endure patiently, verily it is better for the patient.

Holy Quran 41:34
A good deed and an evil deed are not alike: repel evil with something that is finer, and notice how someone who is separated from you because of enmity will become a bosom friend!

May Allah bless you

Insaanah
01-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Different message between Islam and Christianity, coming from Allah?
No. Allah always sent the same main message. The main doctrines, the core belief, the fundamental tenets were always the same. The message was: to submit wholeheartedly to the will of God and to worship Him and Him alone, and to obey the prophet. Thus, Islam is not a new faith but is the same Ultimate Truth that God revealed to all prophets, including Noah, Abraham, Moses and Jesus (peace be upon them all). And Muhammad (peace be upon him) is the last, not first, Prophet of Islam.

They all taught that Allah is one, without any assocites in His Divinity, and that He alone should be worshipped, and that the Prophet or Messenger of the time, should be obeyed, with whatever rules or laws Allah sent him with. These rules coud be slightly different depending on the place, the time, the people etc, but the core creed has always been the same.

So for example, here, in the Quran, Allah tells Mary that Jesus peace be upon him would say to the Children of Israil, "And [I have come] confirming what was before me of the Torah and to make lawful for you some of what was forbidden to you. And I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, so fear Allah and obey me. Indeed, Allah is my Lord and your Lord, so worship Him. That is the straight path." (3:50-51)

Here we can see that Isa alayhi assalaam was going to make lawful for the Children of Israil some things that had been forbidden to them.

This illustrates that the minor laws can change, but the core creed (as shown in the last two sentences), is the same.

In the Bible, it says:
Remember the Bible is not what Allah revealed to Jesus peace be upon him. He revealed a boook called the Injeel to Jesus, peace be upon him, and fragments of that may still remain in the current day book called the Bible, much of which is not the word of God, but the word of man, mixed up in, added to and changing Allah's revelation.

If something in the bible agrees with the Qur'an then there is a chance at that was part of Allah's original revelation.

We don't know if Allah said that to Jesus. Because it's written in the Gospel of Matthew, written by Matthew (though many say the author is unknown) - it's a humans word, and not necessarily Allah's word.

Since Islam teaches peace, why would Allah, change his message and the rules on revenge when it comes to hitting back someone who hit you, knowing that Jesus is a prophet of Allah, and that he transmitted Allah's message on earth.
If we are talking about the message changing, retaliation is only a side issue here. The bigger issue would be that why would Allah change his mind after years of teaching people that God is one without partner and son, and then change his mind and tell the whole world that actually he did beget a son.

Also remember that at the beginning, Muslims were not allowed to retaliate, and permission to retaliate was given later, when they were firmly grounded in the faith, stronger collectively and as a brotherhood, and greater in number.

Here, they are being told to have restraint and be patient:

Many of the People of the Scripture wish they could turn you back to disbelief after you have believed, out of envy from themselves [even] after the truth has become clear to them. So pardon and overlook until Allah delivers His command. Indeed, Allah is over all things competent. (2:109)

Then the permission came:

Permission [to fight] has been given to those who are being fought, because they were wronged. And indeed, Allah is competent to give them victory. (22:39)

And, fighting was enjoined upon the Children of Israel too:

Have you not considered the assembly of the Children of Israel after [the time of] Moses when they said to a prophet of theirs, "Send to us a king, and we will fight in the way of Allah "? He said, "Would you perhaps refrain from fighting if fighting was prescribed for you?" They said, "And why should we not fight in the cause of Allah when we have been driven out from our homes and from our children?" But when fighting was prescribed for them, they turned away, except for a few of them. And Allah is Knowing of the wrongdoers. (2:246)

I don't know what Isa alayhi assalaams followers were commanded to do by Allah regarding this.

And Allah knows best in all matters.

Ramadhan
01-19-2012, 01:59 AM
This is another warning to you again, evangelist: STOP de-railing threads.

Stay on topic.

If you want to discuss a new topic, create another thread.

FYI, I have approved your new thread.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Who Am I?
01-19-2012, 03:33 AM
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth." But I say to you, Do not resist one who is evil. But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also; and if anyone would sue you and take your coat, let him have your cloak as well; and if any one forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. (Jesus in Matthew 5:38-41, Revised Standard Version)
:sl:

I was just going to add this: Take their shoes too, and then walk that mile, so by the time they realize that you have their shoes, they're a mile away and they have no shoes. ;D

I'll get my coat...

Amat Allah
01-19-2012, 04:23 AM
The Religion of Islam is the religion of mercy and Allah created not His creation to torture them and He taught us in many verses in Qur`aan how forgiveness is greatly rewarded...

The Exalted says:"And hasten to forgiveness from your Lord and a garden as wide as the heavens and earth, prepared for the righteous (133)Who spend [in the cause of Allah] during ease and hardship and who restrain anger and who pardon the people - and Allah loves the doers of good; (134)And those who, when they commit an immorality or wrong themselves [by transgression], remember Allah and seek forgiveness for their sins - and who can forgive sins except Allah? - and [who] do not persist in what they have done while they know. (135)Those - their reward is forgiveness from their Lord and gardens beneath which rivers flow [in Paradise], wherein they will abide eternally; and excellent is the reward of the [righteous] workers. (136)" Surat Aal Im`raan

and says:"...But what is with Allah is better and more lasting for those who have believed and upon their Lord rely (36)And those who avoid the major sins and immoralities, and when they are angry, they forgive, (37)And those who have responded to their lord and established prayer and whose affair is [determined by] consultation among themselves, and from what We have provided them, they spend. (38)And those who, when tyranny strikes them, they defend themselves, (39)And the retribution for an evil act is an evil one like it, but whoever pardons and makes reconciliation - his reward is [due] from Allah. Indeed, He does not like wrongdoers. (40)And whoever avenges himself after having been wronged - those have not upon them any cause [for blame]. (41)The cause is only against the ones who wrong the people and tyrannize upon the earth without right. Those will have a painful punishment. (42)And whoever is patient and forgives - indeed, that is of the matters [requiring] determination. (43)" Surat Ashu`ra

even in murdering Allah is encouraging us to forgive the killer...

then how come Islam teaching us the opposite while The Book of Allah is full with patience, forgiveness and pardoning verses...

Allah Is teaching us that we are not deprived from our rights which we have all the right to ask for and demand for but at the same time we have another choices and from them to just forgive those who wronged ya for His sake The Exalted then you will see wonders and great rewards from Him not only in Akhirah but also in this mortal dunya...

if you want you rights then you will take them in full but if you would give them up just for Allah`s sake then you will be giving more than your rights for your generosity with others for Allah`s sake...

try to read and recite Qur`aan more and more my respected brother to know Allah better and better...May Allah love ya and Be pleased with ya always and forever Ameeeeeen

Burninglight
02-15-2012, 10:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-manar
Another way of looking at it is this: You can only offer forgiveness for sins committed against you personally. You cannot forgive for sins committed against another. In the legal system, those doing the judging are NOT those who the crime was committed against, so they must offer justice ('eye for an eye') instead of forgiveness ('turn the other cheek'). But outside of the legal system, if someone hurts you, you DO have the option of forgiving them instead of dispensing justice, which is what Jesus wants us to do.
This is a good explanation, but Christians are not supposed to take brothers to court. The matter should be settled in the church. Besides, who can really say what an eye for an eye is or if that fits the crime? If someone plucks out your eye, and you pluck our his, he may end up dying because of shock , how is that an eye for an eye or fitting the crime?. Jesus was trying to teach us that an eye for an eye will just cause the world to be blind. He said if someone wants to steal let me have it, and give him your cloak if he wants to steal your coat. If we do good to those who are unjust to us that will be worse than pouring hot coals on their head. Revenge is the Lords not ours, Now, I don't think that means we can't defend our family and homeland if someone is looking to kill us and remove our freedom. Besides, if I turn my cheek, after that, I don't have anymore cheeks. Then what do I do?

Abz2000
02-16-2012, 12:15 AM
you pose a question that leaves you in more confusion than the answer you expect mate, i would ask you why you though God decided to change His mind from the OT,
and no, i don't think He did anyway, the words of restraint are an advice, there is a time for everything.

burninglight has already been shown this but he still somehow saw the need to repeat himself, this is what it says about the believers who will fight the Anti-Christ and his forces:

And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations. 8And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. 9If any man have an ear, let him hear. 10He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

and i'll ask you why you think God changed his mind and told you to eat pig when it has been consistently held forbidden throughout the books of the Prophets (pbut) including through Jesus (pbuh) and Muhammad (pbuh),
does Paul know better than God Himself? And why did Jesus (pbuh) hold it to be forbidden?
you really ask questions that leave you in more confusion than you started off with.

Burninglight
02-16-2012, 04:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
and i'll ask you why you think God changed his mind and told you to eat pig when it has been consistently held forbidden throughout the books of the Prophets (pbut) including through Jesus (pbuh) and Muhammad (pbuh),
You mean ham? Have you ever eaten ham? Peter not Paul is the one that said God told him to slay and eat all kinds of animals. Peter responded "Not so Lord nothing unclean has ever touch my lips" God said, "Call thou not unclean what the Lord has cleanse." So I won't judge anyone on what they eat or drink or what they don't eat or drink. That is between them and their God. God makes the rules; He can break them.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!